Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
We say that every season and yet:

17-18: 22 points, 0.34 PPG
18-19: 26 points, 0.37 PPG
19-20: 23 points, 0.34 PPG
20-21: 17 points, 0.31 PPG

There's clearly a trend here. It's not all of a sudden magically going to click with Jost and he becomes a 40+ point two-way centre. He's not that player. 262 NHL games to his name, this isn't some inexperienced kid anymore. And it's not for lack of opportunity, either. In 17-18 he averaged 2:35 of PP time, in 18-19 he averaged 2:04, in 19-20 he averaged 1:42 and in 20-21 the Avs finally realized this guy simply isn't an offensive player and removed him almost entirely from the PP.

He's a 4th line centre. Every team needs one, but a Tyson Jost caliber player can be found anywhere in UFA.

His point production doesnt go to his favour but his last season was really one big step in the right direction, and if he keep that pace of progress, he can easly became our 3rd line center solution. If he wont demand a significant raise that is no brainer to sign him imo.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The "hate" is because he's a 20-25 point undersized centre who can't win faceoffs but is likely tasked with playing a defensive role, including killing penalties.

You can find a bunch of Tyson Jost's in free agency. If it was me and the ask was more than 1M per season, I'd say thank you and enjoy being a UFA.
And you’d be paying Jost types about the same in Free Agency. So keep the guy and get get center depth so he can play on wing primarily.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, the Jost hate is unreal.
He probably left school a year too soon and hurt his development but he's a solid player. Not the production you would hope for from a #10 OA pick but not every top pick puts up insane stats.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wonder if Seattle signs Werner. They only have 3 goalies. Wouldn’t be a bad AHL option.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Miska did not play more or perform better than Werner last season. He’s only still here because they signed him to a 2 year deal for the XD. I wonder if he’ll just be loaned to another team’s affiliate or act as the Joe Cannata or Peyton Jones type org float and not really play too much in any one place.

I have a 1000x greater problem with Compher than Jost. I agree it’s time to accept what he is, it has value and if he gets a deal like 1.4x2 that’s fine because he’s earned it. His UFA replacement would be 32 years old and need a 2.5x2 deal.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
His point production doesnt go to his favour but his last season was really one big step in the right direction, and if he keep that pace of progress, he can easly became our 3rd line center solution. If he wont demand a significant raise that is no brainer to sign him imo.
No, he's not going to be our 3rd line centre. I just don't get what people are watching when Tyson Jost takes the ice. Do we not see other great teams around the league with their 3rd line centres? Do we not see all of the past Stanley Cup champions with their 3rd line centres? Tyson Jost is so much worse than those players. He's a 4th line centre through and through. Nothing more. Hoping for more "development" out of Jost is like the fans that were hoping there was still more development with Nikita Zadorov. At some point you have to accept what he is.
And you’d be paying Jost types about the same in Free Agency. So keep the guy and get get center depth so he can play on wing primarily.
Tyson Jost can't play wing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the grand scheme of things I don't think it'll mean anything, but the Avs probably would have been better served keeping the 6'5, 205 pound goalie instead of the 6'1, 175 pound goalie. Easier to hide Werner's deficiencies than Miska's even in the AHL if proper work is put in.
They really should be dumping both… Werner sucks and is worse than Miska, which is a sort of accomplishment. :laugh:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
They really should be dumping both… Werner sucks and is worse than Miska, which is a sort of accomplishment. :laugh:
Is this how you see the Avs goalie depth shaping up this season, NHL to ECHL?

Grubauer/Kuemper/whoever
Francouz

Johansson
Annunen

Miska
Jones

With Annunen being a rookie and Francouz being injury prone it would make sense to have Miska as an "extra" who can move up to the AHL in the event that Johansson is needed in the NHL or if Annunen struggles.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Grubauer/Kuemper/whoever
Francouz

Johansson
Annunen

Miska
Jones

With Annunen being a rookie and Francouz being injury prone it would make sense to have Miska as an "extra" who can move up to the AHL in the event that Johansson is needed in the NHL or if Annunen struggles.
Miner?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Grubauer/Kuemper/whoever
Francouz

Johansson
Annunen

Miska
Jones

I think the AHL will carry 3… with the main rotation JoJo and Annunen. If Annunen struggles, he may head to Utah. Miner will be in Utah unless there are injures in Loveland. Jones likely bounces around various ECHL teams on loans. Maybe a few spot games in the AHL in other cities.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
He cost us Logan Brown dammit!:mad:

That got me looking at who else the Avs passed up... made me feel better that there are only three players I'd obviously want more than Jost in the rest of that 1st round. Of course two of those are McAvoy and Chychrun but given the team's drafting track record with few NHLers left on the board Jost may actually be an above average pick :laugh: .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jost is not a 3C option, at least not a good one, bit given our critical lack of centers in the org overall we really can't just let him walk, either. Centers don't grow on trees, and if Landy re-signs we won't have the cap space to replace him with anyone better in UFA.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Jost is not a 3C option, at least not a good one, bit given our critical lack of centers in the org overall we really can't just let him walk, either. Centers don't grow on trees, and if Landy re-signs we won't have the cap space to replace him with anyone better in UFA.
Well it's still a day before UFA hits and there are two guys that are a high priority before then.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Yhea... I did think he was going to do it last year... and I was wrong... so that's a BIG fail on his part. My mind-reading ability tells me it was his plan, but the injuries and the push into LTIR pushed them into bonus excess carryover and he decided to sacrifice additional 20-21 depth in order to avoid hamstringing 21-22 even more.

But that's just my educated guess...

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I would have taken the Blackhawks route with Jost and not qualified him, then played hardball with him and offer him a one year, 900K contract. If he doesn't like it, go enjoy UFA.
they protected Jost in the expansion draft so they obviously value him and his cheap contract

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
they protected Jost in the expansion draft so they obviously value him and his cheap contract
Or they were just protecting their asset. If he wants to go to arbitration it wouldn't be surprising at all if Sakic moves him. Just look at Zadorov who is the last player who went through arbitration, 12 months later, gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad