Confirmed with Link: Avs qualify their RFAs

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So we don't know on Kamenev, Greer or Dries yet.
Kam, probably not, right? They didn't qualify Grigo when he jumped to the KHL.

Greer I could see not, I think it's clear nobody wants to do a prospect swap like with Bigras. And Dries I could see them wanting to keep. I don't like him but he's a 14/15 forward here at best so it's not likely I'll see him much.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
If that is the end of Greer, it’s a good sad but inevitable conclusion. It really was a disappointment.
I hope one day we get some light shown on the avs/greer relationship. People always hinted at issues there with stuff they asked him to do. Outside of the obvious off ice stuff that's happened there as to be more there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I hope one day we get some light shown on the avs/greer relationship. People always hinted at issues there with stuff they asked him to do. Outside of the obvious off ice stuff that's happened there as to be more there.
To me, it seems like just a coachability/trust issue at the NHL level. He took too many penalties to be trusted as a 4th liner, and for whatever reason he was unable to keep those out of his game. And now that he's on Bednar's shit list it's over for him here.

I was hoping we could at least get an asset out of him in a prospect swap, maybe even swing a coup like Bigras for Graves, but clearly either no one wants him or no one wants to deal with Sakic anymore after he robbed NY for Graves.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To me, it seems like just a coachability/trust issue at the NHL level. He took too many penalties to be trusted as a 4th liner, and for whatever reason he was unable to keep those out of his game. And now that he's on Bednar's shit list it's over for him here.

I was hoping we could at least get an asset out of him in a prospect swap, maybe even swing a coup like Bigras for Graves, but clearly either no one wants him or no one wants to deal with Sakic anymore after he robbed NY for Graves.

Also similar to Z and Jost, Greer is just a poor fit for a Bednar coached team. Jost is an average skater being asked to play a high tempo pressure system that requires him to sprint most of the time to get into the positions Bednar wants him to be on the ice..

Z and Greer are guys who like to make big hits, and play a bit of an agitator role to get under the oppositions skin, but Bednar is a lot more concerned about his players taking penalties than other coaches.

Bednar doesn't seem to value physical 4th liners like McLeod or Greer. He much prefers smaller guys like Ben Smith who didn't provide anything, but would play his system the way he wanted by staying in position, and not taking penalties.

Z was already a proven NHLer so Bednar could really only scratch him. Greer on the other hand was still a prospect, so he had to find his way into the good graces of his coach, so he'd trust him enough to keep him in the NHL.

Not sure if Greer will be able to do that for another coach, but he was never gonna get Bednar to trust him enough here.

Reactions: Richard88

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
I just have this horrible feeling Z will end up on a team we're up against in the playoffs and he'll be unleashed by a coach that doesn't hold him back. While we'll also be getting the San Jose/ Dallas refs for the series while he injures our whole team.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I just have this horrible feeling Z will end up on a team we're up against in the playoffs and he'll be unleashed by a coach that doesn't hold him back. While we'll also be getting the San Jose/ Dallas refs for the series while he injures our whole team.
A large majority of his big hits involved running way out of position. Any coach, not just Bednar is going to try to coach those out of him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A large majority of his big hits involved running way out of position. Any coach, not just Bednar is going to try to coach those out of him.

A large majority being way out of position is a big exaggeration IMO. Him being way out of position is definitely in the minority of his hits not the majority.

Also, by definition a player has to leave their position to make a hit, if the coach wants them to stay in a certain spot and not hit.

This is why Zadorov's style isn't a great fit with Bednar. Other coaches give more leash to leave their position to make hits. Bednar seems to prefer they only make hits when the other team skates into them.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

Just put Kadri in front of the net when Z is on the ice and guaranteed goals

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not sure if Greer will be able to do that for another coach, but he was never gonna get Bednar to trust him enough here.
I think if any NHL GM had confidence that could happen, Greer would already have been traded.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I have a hard time seeing anyone trade anything for Kamenev, but qualifying him is pretty safe. He's not going to accept it and perhaps if he has a great year in the KHL some team will give up a pick for his rights.

Reactions: MarkT

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Z is a lot of things, but he isn't dirty. As much as I would hate playing against Z, i'd much rather play against him compared to dirty POS like Benn.

He'd definitely lay some huge hits if he was given a longer leash though while simultaneously get a penalty for being too big.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think if any NHL GM had confidence that could happen, Greer would already have been traded.

I don't know if confidence is the right word, but I'm sure there will be GM's willing to take a chance on him with a two way contract. They just weren't willing to give up assets to take that chance.

Reactions: McMetal

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't know if confidence is the right word, but I'm sure there will be GM's willing to take a chance on him with a two way contract. They just weren't willing to give up assets to take that chance.
GM's could have picked Greer up on waivers for free and passed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
GM's could have picked Greer up on waivers for free and passed.

That's because picking him up off waivers would have added a contract to their 50 limit books during the season, when they want to leave themselves room to make other deals.

We see this every year. He's a former 39th overall pick still with his draft team, who's 6'3" 205 lbs, and a good skater who plays physical. Someone will take a shot on him with a 'prove it' style two way deal, with the hopes that their team is a better fit for him.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That's because picking him up off waivers would have added a contract to their 50 limit books during the season, when they want to leave themselves room to make other deals.

We see this every year. He's a former 39th overall pick still with his draft team, who's 6'3" 205 lbs, and a good skater who plays physical. Someone will take a shot on him with a 'prove it' style two way deal, with the hopes that their team is a better fit for him.
Yep. Some team like Anaheim or Columbus, and then he'll definitely get cut in NHL camp, but this happens all the time.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad