Confirmed with Link: Avs qualify their RFAs

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Do we have 2 years of control for Zadorov? I thought we only had 1 but Clark says its 2. Looking for any sort of conformation on that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do we have 2 years of control for Zadorov? I thought we only had 1 but Clark says its 2. Looking for any sort of conformation on that.

Avs have 2. Z isn't a UFA until 27 because he doesn't have enough accrued seasons.

Reactions: MaKarter

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
GM's could have picked Greer up on waivers for free and passed.
Don't forget...picking up a player off waivers means the NHL team have to keep him on their roster for the rest of the season. If they send him down he goes back on waivers and the original team have first dibs on taking him back. So a team needs to be sure the player will help them before claiming him in the first place or they are just spending money for no reason.

Reactions: McMetal

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I've been saying that for months but nobody ever confirmed it. Clark's article is the first time I see anyone else mention it.

The way I understand the rules Zadorov has 2 years of team control left, since he's only accrued 5 NHL seasons over 40 games as his first season in Colorado he spent most of the year in the AHL and only played 22 NHL games. He's also only 25 which is 2 years short of the '27 year old' threshold for UFA.

Reactions: MaKarter

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Don't forget...picking up a player off waivers means the NHL team have to keep him on their roster for the rest of the season. If they send him down he goes back on waivers and the original team have first dibs on taking him back. So a team needs to be sure the player will help them before claiming him in the first place or they are just spending money for no reason.
Isn't it just 30 days they have to keep him in the NHL for?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You don't have to keep any player you pick up on waivers for any amount of time. They can be immediately put back on waivers. There are just rules about who gets priority during the immediately following timeframe. If any other claim was submitted, that player can't be traded for at least 30 days.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
You don't have to keep any player you pick up on waivers for any amount of time. They can be immediately put back on waivers. There are just rules about who gets priority during the immediately following timeframe. If any other claim was submitted, that player can't be traded for at least 30 days.
Yeah I was wrong regarding the whole season. It is 30 days. But am I not right that a team can't claim a player and just put him in the AHL without risking to lose him back right away to the original team he was on?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah I was wrong regarding the whole season. It is 30 days. But am I not right that a team can't claim a player and just put him in the AHL without risking to lose him back right away to the original team he was on?

Yeah you're right on that. If a different team/s put a claim in, they get right of first refusal then goes to original team. If none want the player he can be put in the AHL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah you're right on that. If a different team/s put a claim in, they get right of first refusal then goes to original team. If none want the player he can be put in the AHL.

I wonder if anyone remembers how this worked with Chris Wagner? Didn't we claim him off waivers, and then Anaheim took him back and put him in the AHL once we put him back on waivers?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It's been proven many times that Zadorov is at his best when he's allowed to do whatever he wants, so I look forward to seeing that happen against us at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he turned out to be brilliant for another team. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league in 2-3 seasons and playing in the KHL.

He has a lot of physical tools, but he can't consistently bring it all together. It also doesn't help that he gets a bunch of "you're too big" penalties.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Z needs a defensive system where he can focus on one thing only. Playing a man or half ice overload system, he'd thrive.

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad