Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To be fair to him he was a decent #4 on Detroit, and at times was even the 2nd best D on that team. Feint praise given how terrible their D is, but still.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
To be fair to him he was a decent #4 on Detroit, and at times was even the 2nd best D on that team. Feint praise given how terrible their D is, but still.

he's just not what the avs need right now there. puck moving, good decision making and mobility.

granted, gelinas, wiercioch and tyutin don't fill some/any of those requirements either but since they are already here and probably not going anywhere for now, don't see that big need for kyle quincey.

plus quincey's brain farts and inconsistencies are so maddening that there is no way i could watch him for another season. at least with tyutin, i'm expecting him not to be good, haha.

zadorov and bigras should also be getting bigger roles this season imo.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
If we went Quincey & Versteeg over Tyutin, Weircioch & Martinsen, I'd think we'd be much closer to being viable again.

At this stage, our right wingers are:
+ Rantanen (never scored a point in the NHL, and almost no experience)
+ Iginla (who is still absolutely amazing in the slot and PP, but has regressed elsewhere)
+ Martinsen (who let's be fair, isn't NHL quality)
+ And someone to fill that other position

Versteeg would instantly be one of our top right wings.

Quincey would probably be our 2nd best D (and he IS only 31).

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Quincey would probably be our 2nd best D.

In San Antonio?

I actually don't dislike Quincey. At this point in his career, he's probably a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener at best, and if the Avs were to have him, I'd only want him as a 1 year stopgap measure until Zadorov/Bigras grow up. The Avs already have a couple of those stopgap measure guys, so I don't see the point of Quincey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Quincey is not some massive upgrade on even the worst Avs defenseman. There's no reason to bring him aboard. If indeed a 31-year-old Kyle Quincey WOULD be the Avs' 2nd-best defender, then hoo-boy the Avs may as well pull the plug and start over.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Quincey kinda got the shaft from the Avs and Sacco, but hasn't been in an Avs jersey in over four seasons, and even back when he was a lot younger and in Colorado, he was decent, even good...but not great.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
[MOD]

Well, he has more experience (including P/O's) than Zadorov / Bigras / Gelinas, and while he is prone to an occasional error, he'd be more reliable than those three in a clutch moment (including closing out games).

He was injured last season, but he wasn't noticeably slowing like Beauchemin when he did play (including his playoff games). I'm not sure if an off season will rejuvenate those old legs, but I really hope so. He WAS amazing at the start of the season though.

I'd say while Barrie absolutely destroys him offensively, I think defensively, and ability to use his body, he's stronger in that particular area.

Tyutin has been horrible for a few years now (last two).

I haven't seen much of Wiercioch play, but if you go off what Ottawa fans say about him, lets just say I hope he proves them wrong.

If he were on the team, I'd pair him with Johnson tbh. I'd then throw Beauchemin with Barrie (hoping he gets less minutes, and isn't over played) as the second pair. Third pairing I'd go Tyutin with Zadorov & used in very specific situations.

So yes, on the team, I'd actually have him on the top pairing for those reasons.
[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
There's no way I'd put Kyle Quincy on the top pairing and I'd struggle to even put him on the second pairing. He is one big brain fart. The guy has the hockey IQ of a coconut. We complain about Landeskog's dumb penalties when Quincy commits more. I much prefer the steady play of Beauchemin or the offensive flair of Zadorov or the offensive domination of Barrie or the smarts of Bigras over Quincy.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
There's no way I'd put Kyle Quincy on the top pairing and I'd struggle to even put him on the second pairing. He is one big brain fart. The guy has the hockey IQ of a coconut. We complain about Landeskog's dumb penalties when Quincy commits more. I much prefer the steady play of Beauchemin or the offensive flair of Zadorov or the offensive domination of Barrie or the smarts of Bigras over Quincy.

I just really don't think Beauchemin can handle top pair minutes anymore. At a stretch, second pairing. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability or quality - I just don't think he can handle the minutes. I really felt he was over used.

Defensively, physically, positionally & maybe even experience wise, I don't think Barrie is top pair material (right now). He himself stated he needs to work on areas of his game defensively when he re-signed. Right now, he's the ideal #3 D-man in this team in my opinion, but understand with some good development / coaching, that benchmark could rise.

Playing Zadorov or Bigras against opposition top line players in guys like Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Benn & others would certainly be a learning experience, and boy, Johnson would need to REALLY step up in those situations. I honestly don't think right now they'd be a good fit for that top pair.

That's why, in my opinion, if Quincey came in, he'd actually slot next to Johnson.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just really don't think Beauchemin can handle top pair minutes anymore. At a stretch, second pairing. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability or quality - I just don't think he can handle the minutes. I really felt he was over used.

Defensively, physically, positionally & maybe even experience wise, I don't think Barrie is top pair material (right now). He himself stated he needs to work on areas of his game defensively when he re-signed. Right now, he's the ideal #3 D-man in this team in my opinion, but understand with some good development / coaching, that benchmark could rise.

Playing Zadorov or Bigras against opposition top line players in guys like Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Benn & others would certainly be a learning experience, and boy, Johnson would need to REALLY step up in those situations. I honestly don't think right now they'd be a good fit for that top pair.

That's why, in my opinion, if Quincey came in, he'd actually slot next to Johnson.

2nd best d and top pairing are two different things. Still, I'd be shocked if Quincy pushed Beauchemin down. I wouldn't mind Quincy on the 2nd pairing, but I bet he priced himself on July 1.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Remember when Quincey's nickname early on the with the Avs was BAMF?

Johnson and Quincey were finally paired together right before Quincey got traded. If Beauch shows his age, I could see Quincey ending up next to EJ. He would be better suited there beyond anyone else on the team (unless Barrie was comfortable on the left side.)

Some of you need to lay of Drizzt a bit. If Beauchemin falters, a guy like Quincey has the track to record to be the Avs 3rd best defenceman.

An upgrade is an upgrade. Even if he was a jackass when he left. Plus the Avs could use more beards.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
[MOD]

Well, he has more experience (including P/O's) than Zadorov / Bigras / Gelinas, and while he is prone to an occasional error, he'd be more reliable than those three in a clutch moment (including closing out games).

He was injured last season, but he wasn't noticeably slowing like Beauchemin when he did play (including his playoff games). I'm not sure if an off season will rejuvenate those old legs, but I really hope so. He WAS amazing at the start of the season though.

I'd say while Barrie absolutely destroys him offensively, I think defensively, and ability to use his body, he's stronger in that particular area.

Tyutin has been horrible for a few years now (last two).

I haven't seen much of Wiercioch play, but if you go off what Ottawa fans say about him, lets just say I hope he proves them wrong.

If he were on the team, I'd pair him with Johnson tbh. I'd then throw Beauchemin with Barrie (hoping he gets less minutes, and isn't over played) as the second pair. Third pairing I'd go Tyutin with Zadorov & used in very specific situations.

So yes, on the team, I'd actually have him on the top pairing for those reasons.
[MOD]

Beauchemin at his absolute worst point last season was still miles ahead of Quincey at his absolute best. Never mind the fact you want to argue that Quincey is somehow better then Barrie as well. That's even more ridiculous. The gap between them Defensively is very small if there's even a gap. I would take Barrie over Quincey even from a defensive standpoint. The ability to quickly transition the puck from the Defensive end to the neutral zone is a part of good Defensive play, and Quincey is absolutely awful at that while Barrie is extremely good. The only part of Defense where Quincey has any sort of edge is in physicality, and Barrie makes up for that with his stick work and quick thinking.

I'm not even going to get into the argument about experience for Quincey over Zadorov/Bigras. By that same logic, wouldn't Brad Stuart have been a better option then both those guys, and Quincey? A guy you absolutely destroyed Sakic on for the last two years about bringing into the Avs because of his age.

Your posts are always filled with so much hypocrisy in them all the time. You say one thing in one post and the complete opposite later. Whatever you can say to support your ridiculous line of thinking you'll say.

I dont even think you believe in half the stuff you post at this point.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Beauchemin at his absolute worst point last season was still miles ahead of Quincey at his absolute best. Never mind the fact you want to argue that Quincey is somehow better then Barrie as well. That's even more ridiculous. The gap between them Defensively is very small if there's even a gap. I would take Barrie over Quincey even from a defensive standpoint. The ability to quickly transition the puck from the Defensive end to the neutral zone is a part of good Defensive play, and Quincey is absolutely awful at that while Barrie is extremely good.

Do you consider this defensive play, or offensive play, depending upon the situation? Not a challenge, Pierce. Just wondering. :)

Comparing Quincey to Barrie is an easy win for the latter. I'd take Quincey in a couple of micro defensive situations - namely when the opposition has the puck and Quincey/Barrie is defending along the defensive boards or in the crease - but Barrie is better in every other area of the ice.

Again, Quincey would basically serve a similar purpose as Wiercioch or Tyutin. And the Avs already have those guys. No need for another.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Do you consider this defensive play, or offensive play, depending upon the situation? Not a challenge, Pierce. Just wondering. :)

Comparing Quincey to Barrie is an easy win for the latter. I'd take Quincey in a couple of micro defensive situations - namely when the opposition has the puck and Quincey/Barrie is defending along the defensive boards or in the crease - but Barrie is better in every other area of the ice.

Again, Quincey would basically serve a similar purpose as Wiercioch or Tyutin. And the Avs already have those guys. No need for another.
To most people they would consider that offense but to me it his both. IMO you still haven't finished defending if you are not out of your zone yet. Yes you got control of the puck but turn it over while you are still in your zone and the puck could be in the back of the net in a second. The transition from d-zone to neutral zone is the final step of your defense. However it is also offense as it is starting your offensive breakout.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I would consider it both also, but honestly I'd lean more to it being a Defensive play.

I think its one of the most important qualities for a Dman to have is quick puck movement out of the Defensive zone. It helps to create quick transitions for the offense, but it's also a safe an reliable way to get the puck out of danger as well. To me, an elite Dman is someone who's not only very good at shutting down players from getting high quality chances, but also someone who can quickly translate the play into an offensive opportunity.

Guys like Doughty, Vlasic, Suter, and Hedman are those guys who in my books are truly elite because they can do both of these things very, very well.

While a guy like Karlsson, Barrie, and Josi are all really good at moving the puck forward and quick transitions, they're not as good when it comes to the 1 on 1 coverage, tying up guys in the slot, and the physical play along the boards. And then you've got the flip side of that, where you look at a Chara, Weber, Kronwall, etc. who are great at shutting guys down and good with the board play, but not quite as good at making quick transitions.

That's how I see it anyway. I think part of what makes(Or made now I guess) Weber and Josi work so unbelievably well together was the combination of skillsets that they each brought. While neither one of them is "bad" at any sort of Defensive play, they each had a strength in there own zone that went hand in hand with the other.

I also believe if Barrie was a Lefty, he and EJ would make for a fantastic pairing for similar reasons. Barrie would be very quick on the transition game and could really move the puck up the ice quickly, while EJ would be the strong, steady guy who can win the board battles efficiently and create the space for Barrie to get things moving.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
you know people are desperate when they are wanting Kyle freaking Quincey back. :laugh:

I prefer another route and bring O`Byrne back to NA. :D (no kidding, he could hit at least)

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Beauchemin at his absolute worst point last season was still miles ahead of Quincey at his absolute best. Never mind the fact you want to argue that Quincey is somehow better then Barrie as well. That's even more ridiculous. The gap between them Defensively is very small if there's even a gap. I would take Barrie over Quincey even from a defensive standpoint. The ability to quickly transition the puck from the Defensive end to the neutral zone is a part of good Defensive play, and Quincey is absolutely awful at that while Barrie is extremely good. The only part of Defense where Quincey has any sort of edge is in physicality, and Barrie makes up for that with his stick work and quick thinking.

I'm not even going to get into the argument about experience for Quincey over Zadorov/Bigras. By that same logic, wouldn't Brad Stuart have been a better option then both those guys, and Quincey? A guy you absolutely destroyed Sakic on for the last two years about bringing into the Avs because of his age.

Your posts are always filled with so much hypocrisy in them all the time. You say one thing in one post and the complete opposite later. Whatever you can say to support your ridiculous line of thinking you'll say.

I dont even think you believe in half the stuff you post at this point.

Yes, Quincey and Barrie are very different defensemen. I stated that in my posts above. Offensively, Barrie has it all over Quincey, and when we are behind to finish a game, I'd want Barrie over almost any other D-man we have out there to change the outcome.

On the flipside, if we were behind, needed to protect a lead (and we DO do that despite coaches telling us that's not the mindset they want), I'd prefer Quincey.

Also, Quincey is MUCH better at passing the puck up the ice (something we truly lackk imo). He has a much better outlet pass. Man, it used to frustrate the bejeezuz out of me as we skated up the ice, for one of our players to drop the puck behind (drop pass) them for a trailing player. It stopped all the momentum, allowed the opposition D to get set, and generally meant we lost the puck, and were once again hemmed in our own zone facing shot after shot.

In regards to your attack on me in your post. I don't know if you're still angry about claiming how dumb & unknowledgeable I was in suggesting this off season we wouldn't see any major moves with our roster, and that we'd only make minor adjustments?

You actually had most of the community with you tbh, and I was getting slammed for the opinion, suggesting that it was a "negative outlook". I was actually removed from that thread by RockLobster, because I was backing myself, but this was seen as argumentative (apparently).

End of the day though, this is a moot point. Quincey isn't joining our team. I think he'd make a better top pair partner with Johnson than Barrie, but I also agree, both players would be used situationally.

I have to finish by saying a person doesn't have to have a "blanket" opinion on the team. Yes, I think some players are great. I think some players need to improve. I think some players aren't good enough. I think chemistry plays a huge part REGARDLESS of the amount of talent you'd have. That's not hypocracy - that's just being open minded.

I have not taken one swipe at you, or anyone else. That's not my go, and I am above the childishness. I will debate the topic, and I will defend myself from the rudeness slung my way (but I am very careful, because my leash is much shorter than most here).

I'd never tell people they are dumb, or that their opinions are ridiculous. I welcome all and any debate about our club, understand it's there to entertain other people than just me. We are all Avs fans, and I'll always show respect regardless of how people feel (unlike your post as an example - it's about respect. Post as though you'd speak to someone in real life).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Enough of the back and forth BS. If your post needs a "you" in it then you are probably stepping over the line. Anything further is going to be removed so don't bother.

Let's not make Sea Eagles an easy target but you also have to know posting hot take opinions is going to draw attention.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Enough of the back and forth BS. If your post needs a "you" in it then you are probably stepping over the line. Anything further is going to be removed so don't bother.

Let's not make Sea Eagles an easy target but you also have to know posting hot take opinions is going to draw attention.

Thanks for the sentiment TV. I always hope that people can have a robust discussion (with very varying opinions) without making it personal. It's about respect. I try to remain at that level of respect, even when people call anyone else's opinions dumb, ridiculous etc (which is pretty common on this board). I just think doing that lacks class.

I'll always be open to anything, anyone has to say about the team. Hey, I had to face people telling me Stastny was garbage, and he's my favorite player of all time (or close to) - have 4 of his jersey's !! Even got one with a "C" on it, projecting :D

End of the day, I have a pretty thick skin, and won't be bullied. It's usually the same core group that tend to do it here, and it's really water off a ducks back. I firmly believe in a face - to - face situation, those same people would go to water, and be quite different in their approach.

I got this PM from another Aussie, who has attempted to post here from time to time, to show it's not just isolated:
"Sweet, im from the beaches too, havent used HFBoards that much but need somethig to do in the offseason haha. People just dont believe we are real fans for some reason i guess even though ive watched almost every avs game for at least the last 5 years and follow it religiously. Cool to have another local on there though"

Just wish people would be much more open minded - regardless of the other person's opinion.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
NHL players should learn from NBA players. As they age, they start to sit out ~25% of the season, especially the 2nd game of a back-to-back, in order to preserve themselves throughout the duration of the season. Tim Duncan perfected this until his retirement this past season.

I do think Iginla can still be useful to this team, but he can't play a vital role. If he's playing, say, 3rd line minutes with Soderberg and Comeau and only plays 60 games, I think he can actually give more of a consistent effort than if he played all 82 games. Just lets him be more refreshed throughout the year.

Oh, and Kyle Quincey sucks. Keep him the hell away from here.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
NHL players should learn from NBA players. As they age, they start to sit out ~25% of the season, especially the 2nd game of a back-to-back, in order to preserve themselves throughout the duration of the season. Tim Duncan perfected this until his retirement this past season.

I do think Iginla can still be useful to this team, but he can't play a vital role. If he's playing, say, 3rd line minutes with Soderberg and Comeau and only plays 60 games, I think he can actually give more of a consistent effort than if he played all 82 games. Just lets him be more refreshed throughout the year.

Oh, and Kyle Quincey sucks. Keep him the hell away from here.

NHL players would likely fall out of a rhythm in doing so. Part time roles are harder to adjust to than most believe and that is why some guys can master it and some have to start and play significant minutes.

It sounds like a solid idea in theory but in reality it might be more harmful than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia