Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
No way. If last summer is any indication, Picks value is that of a late 1st. Thats been the usual going rate for young starting caliber goalies stuck behind a stronger #1. So, thats like a 1st and 2nd for Boedker.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Pickard has barely proven anything, and his value is greater to us than any return we'd get for trading him. He'd net us a mid to late 2nd rounder at best.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
How many NHL games did they have?

Jones only had 34 compared to Pickards 28, but I think Sharks overpaid for him but they needed a goalie.

LA added him to the Lucic deal and he was probably worth a 2nd in their eyes. I doubt they would've done 2 1sts + Miller for Lucic.

Jones had 29 starts. Lehner quite a few more. Picks is at 20 right now. Even if you want to remove Lehner, my point still very much stands with Jones.

Where are you getting those numbers from...?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm a big Sakic supporter as a GM.....I can't see why he would risk Pickard and a future draft pick for any type of rental whatsoever.

It makes some sense I think. Varlamov is our guy, I dont think anyone can doubt that for a second. He's signed long term, on a solid contract and is still very young for a Goalie(At least 5-7 years before even a chance he slows down).

At some point, if Pickard keeps doing what he's doing for us and continues improving into a starter material goalie, a problem will come up where both guys will want to be the #1 and only 1 spot is available.

We dont want the situation to turn into Vancouver with Schneider/Luongo. They waited far to long before moving a goalie, and ended up losing two of the better goalies in the league because of it.

If the Avs can sell to another team that Pickard is capable of being a starter(Or fighting for the #1 job with another goalie) on a team, and trade him with that kind of value of being a young starting goalie then I think its something they have to consider.

I really like Pickard and would be completely fine with keeping him around and moving Berra out instead. But if Sakic can make a trade where we really improve our team in some aspect and Pickard is the pieces that hurts to be moved for us. I would be on board with it(Assuming its the right player).

Arizona makes a lot of sense for something like this as well. Smith is out long term now so it would give them the rest of the season to see what Picks can do, then next year enter camp with a #1 spot battle between Picks/Smith. But at the same time, I dont think we should be moving Picks as part of a deal for a rental player like Boedker. I dont want to be moving Pickard unless its part of a package that would bring in a piece that can help us now and in the future.

If we had a deal already in place with Boedker for example, then I would move Pickard+ for him. But if not, I wouldn't move him unless we were getting a JVR/Simmonds/Skinner/etc. player back that has term on the contract.

EDIT: The Jones comparison is a pretty solid one as well I think. Given the two trades he was envolved in, you could say he's worth about a late 1st or an early 2nd. That's probably about what Pickard is worth right now as well. Picks himself was an early 2nd round pick, and given what he's done since I definitely dont think he'd be valued at less than that right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Varly is only signed for 3 more years and they have to have some sort of decision after that. It's possible he could be our #1 for 10 more years or it's possible they could move on from him at that point. A lot will have to do with his health and performance. I assume they'd want to keep him but with goalies you never know.

I'm not against moving Picks as he's probably the one desirable piece we have that's not a future. He absolutely should not be looked at as a throw in or a sweetener though. The other thing is there isn't much behind him that's going to contribute at the NHL level anytime soon. They could hold on to Berra for a year and fill that #3 spot with a vet but in a way it does set back their goalie pipeline. I really think they want Picks as the backup starting next year and then they'll go from there, I think he'd have a lot more value as seen as an NHL backup vs. AHL starter as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Varly is only signed for 3 more years and they have to have some sort of decision after that. It's possible he could be our #1 for 10 more years or it's possible they could move on from him at that point. A lot will have to do with his health and performance. I assume they'd want to keep him but with goalies you never know.

I'm not against moving Picks as he's probably the one desirable piece we have that's not a future. He absolutely should not be looked at as a throw in or a sweetener though. The other thing is there isn't much behind him that's going to contribute at the NHL level anytime soon. They could hold on to Berra for a year and fill that #3 spot with a vet but in a way it does set back their goalie pipeline. I really think they want Picks as the backup starting next year and then they'll go from there, I think he'd have a lot more value as seen as an NHL backup vs. AHL starter as well.

Is it really only 3 more years? I thought it was 4 or 5 still. Feels like just yesterday we signed him to that big deal. :laugh:

But ya, definitely cant be looking at Picks as a throw in. I dont think we should move him unless another team looks at him the same way the Avs do in terms of importance to our team.

If its only 3 years left on Varlys contract, I definitely think we should be hanging onto Pickard in a backup role for next year and see how he performs. In a year or two it may even be time to consider moving Varly(Who would have a tonne more value as well) instead if the Avs brass feel like Pickard is ready to be a #1G for us.

I wouldn't use Picks in a rental deal, but for a long term piece like a JVR, or a Simmonds, or someone who will fill a hole for the future as well as right now, that's the scenario where I would consider trading him.

But like you said, as a core piece to a deal. Not a throw in. I still think Toronto would have interest in Pickard, its just to bad JVR is injured right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
From the BSN pod cast, I like JJ's option for going after Simmonds. I don't remotely think Mitchell, Comeau & Bleakley get it done lol, but I'd give up pretty much anything besides the big three of Bigras, Zadorov, Rantanen.

For as much hockey knowledge as these guys feel they have, they really sound like some of the worst posters you see on the trade boards lol.

I'd kill to have Simmonds though

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
From the BSN pod cast, I like JJ's option for going after Simmonds. I don't remotely think Mitchell, Comeau & Bleakley get it done lol, but I'd give up pretty much anything besides the big three of Bigras, Zadorov, Rantanen.

For as much hockey knowledge as these guys feel they have, they really sound like some of the worst posters you see on the trade boards lol.

I'd kill to have Simmonds though

Yup, Simmonds would be a fantastic add.

You have to think when Sakic talked about "Puck Management" that a guy like Simmonds was exactly who he was talking about as well.

I dunno how they'd pull it off though. I like you dont want us to be moving Bigras, Rantanen, or Zadorov. But outside of that we dont have much.

Our 1st this year would almost definitely have to be included. After that, probably at least 1 of Pickard, Bleackley, and Compher. And then maybe another roster player as a replacement to Simmonds, Comeau or Mitchell maybe, and in return we'd probably get a later pick back to compensate for the roster player we'd be moving out.

So:

1st + Bleackley + Mitchell

for

Simmonds + 4th

I dont even know if that gets it done. Simmonds is on such a sweet contract. It might take a 2nd prospect out of our big 3.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's just better they stick with the here and now vs. futures, value or things of that nature because those things were painful.

I think the one actual tidbit was that Stuart and Roy didn't seem fond of eachother. So maybe they will find a way to get rid of him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yup, Simmonds would be a fantastic add.

You have to think when Sakic talked about "Puck Management" that a guy like Simmonds was exactly who he was talking about as well.

I dunno how they'd pull it off though. I like you dont want us to be moving Bigras, Rantanen, or Zadorov. But outside of that we dont have much.

Our 1st this year would almost definitely have to be included. After that, probably at least 1 of Pickard, Bleackley, and Compher. And then maybe another roster player as a replacement to Simmonds, Comeau or Mitchell maybe, and in return we'd probably get a later pick back to compensate for the roster player we'd be moving out.

So:

1st + Bleackley + Mitchell

for

Simmonds + 4th

I dont even know if that gets it done. Simmonds is on such a sweet contract. It might take a 2nd prospect out of our big 3.

I'd bet it would have to be something like 1st + Meloche/Wood/Compher + Mitchell/Bleackley

The only reason I bring up Meloche & Wood, is that actually 95% of their good defense prospects are left handed. They could easily ask for one of our best right handed guys.

It would be painful

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hopefully 'Lumbus doesn't get anymore injuries before Clarkson returns. Cause if they have to send Rychel down again we may just manage to pry him out of them.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hopefully 'Lumbus doesn't get anymore injuries before Clarkson returns. Cause if they have to send Rychel down again we may just manage to pry him out of them.

That would be the dream, I don't think he'd come cheap though. They have no reason to sell low on him, he still has 2 more years of being waiver exempt.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If his camp pushes for a trade again I'd have to imagine the jackets start to get sick of dealing with his dad, and just move on for a solid offer. And our 1st + Bleackley/Compher + a depth dman contract for him and a 2nd or 3rd would be a pretty solid offer.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Dreger said tonight on TSN that Eller is available. He has played the year on LW. Hasn't scored more than 30 points in a season but he kind of sounds like a player Avs would target at the deadline. He is 6'3 and plays pp, pk. He has been a C all his career until this season. I wonder what it would take to get him? 2 more years left after this one at 3.5.
Sounds like our yearly 2nd/3rd line forward acquisition. (Mueller, Mcginn)

I'm guessing 2nd and prospect?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
No thanks to Eller. As you said he's never scored more than 30 pts before, he's streaky as hell, and in the final two years of his contract he's owed an average of $4.5m a season.

Unless the Avs are sending a bad contract back i'd rather spend that $4.5m on something else. You can probably do a lot better than Eller with $4.5m in free agency. I think Eller is currently the most overrated player on the entire website.

With all that being said, I think Eller could break out offensively if he gets away from Therrien. I just don't think he's worth his salary or worth giving up an asset to acquire.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Eller was a team worst -15 two years ago, a team worst -6 last year*, and a team worst -13 this year.

*Rene Bourque was -9 in 13 GP before being traded.

He doesn't seem to fit that "puck management forward" role based on his consistently bad +/-, which seems unaffected by how good/bad the Habs have been.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Anyone else incredibly tired of hearing, "if the Oilers end up with a top-3 pick this summer, look for them to trade it for a top defenceman, or at least look at it."

For 5 years the Oilers have been looking at something. Go in the damn shop and buy something.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In fact, they're doing a segment right now where the 3 in studio people (JJ Jerez, AJ Haefele, and Adrian Dater) are listing their respective Avs TDL deals with comments from around the room on each of them. AJ just listed his proposed deal as:

Avs/Rangers

Yandle
Hayes

For

Mitchell
Holden
Butcher
2nd Rd Pick

LOL. Why don't we throw in Brad Stuart and get them to give us Zucs too.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No thanks to Eller. As you said he's never scored more than 30 pts before, he's streaky as hell, and in the final two years of his contract he's owed an average of $4.5m a season.

Unless the Avs are sending a bad contract back i'd rather spend that $4.5m on something else. You can probably do a lot better than Eller with $4.5m in free agency. I think Eller is currently the most overrated player on the entire website.

With all that being said, I think Eller could break out offensively if he gets away from Therrien. I just don't think he's worth his salary or worth giving up an asset to acquire.

I'm not a fan of his, but how can someone who's thought of as a worthless bum by 90% of his own fan-base be considered overrated?

Eller was a team worst -15 two years ago, a team worst -6 last year*, and a team worst -13 this year.

*Rene Bourque was -9 in 13 GP before being traded.

He doesn't seem to fit that "puck management forward" role based on his consistently bad +/-, which seems unaffected by how good/bad the Habs have been.

+/- is not a good way to evaluate hockey players IMHO. Eller is a 3rd line centre, who was often played out of position on the LW. He's big, works hard and is good/decent defensively. He'd definitely be an upgrade over the likes of Mitchell down the middle, but adding his salary without any going out makes no sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad