Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Going back to the convo earlier, as bad as we are, I believe two FA signings can make the Avs a playoff contender. Also, 2 of our prized prospects making the jump. One top 6 forward and one top 4 dman should be their targets this summer. I know all about easier said than done. I have no idea if the cap will allow this, but imagine signing one of Radulov or Okposo, Yandle, and Rantanen and Zadorov make the team. Plus, our potential lottery pick could make the team.

Radulov - Duchene - Rantanen
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Puljujarvi
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Iginla
Comeau - Mitchell - Skille/Wagner (if either resign)

Yandle - EJ
Beauchemin - Barrie
Holden - Zadorov (could be disastrous pair, but too lazy to make another pairing)

As I mentioned, I have no clue if that fits under the cap, but my point stands. Our prospects making the team and two good FA signings can turn this team around. Also dumping Iginla can do wonders too. Then simply sign someone cheap or the guy coming back takes his spot.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol that's an extremely, extremely unrealistic team

We don't even know if Radulov wants to come back to the NHL

Puljujarvi is going to be a top-3 pick. If we get him, Hallelujah, but I'm not going to pencil in a top-3 pick onto this team's roster. That's just asinine.

The amount of money Keith Yandle is going to get from a team will be ludicrous and it better not be from us

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I agree. Roy should still get more out of this team. How many teams even have same top end talent as us? Varly, Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Johnson and Barrie. That's very good core in my opinion. This shouldn't be as bad it's. Especially because we seem to have all the core pieces, but our depth is just lacking after losing Stastny and ROR.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree. Roy should still get more out of this team. How many teams even have same top end talent as us? Varly, Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Johnson and Barrie. That's very good core in my opinion. This shouldn't be as bad it's. Especially because we seem to have all the core pieces, but our depth is just lacking after losing Stastny and ROR.

Too many square pegs trying to fit into a round hole on this team.

Iginla doesn't fit. Tanguay is next to useless now. Grigorenko is still trying to figure out how to carve out a role for himself in the NHL. Nick Holden is a #6 defensemen. Nate Guenin doesn't belong in the NHL. Brandon Gormley is still trying to figure out whether he can even play in the NHL. Carl Soderberg, god bless him, is being asked to be a defensive shutdown centre while also providing secondary scoring. Blake Comeau is playing too much for his own good. Andreas Martinsen should be a model in Europe somewhere.

The core also seems very, very mentally fragile from the captain on down. The second something goes wrong it spirals out of control and it's an Avalanche, no pun intended, of problems that simply will not stop. Gonna be a while for this to get fixed

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Too many square pegs trying to fit into a round hole on this team.

Iginla doesn't fit. Tanguay is next to useless now. Grigorenko is still trying to figure out how to carve out a role for himself in the NHL. Nick Holden is a #6 defensemen. Nate Guenin doesn't belong in the NHL. Brandon Gormley is still trying to figure out whether he can even play in the NHL. Carl Soderberg, god bless him, is being asked to be a defensive shutdown centre while also providing secondary scoring. Blake Comeau is playing too much for his own good. Andreas Martinsen should be a model in Europe somewhere.

The core also seems very, very mentally fragile from the captain on down. The second something goes wrong it spirals out of control and it's an Avalanche, no pun intended, of problems that simply will not stop. Gonna be a while for this to get fixed

Yes it's true. Our supporting cast is terrible and we don't have enough depth. I think Rantanen sill be huge for us in the future though.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
But that's the thing about our pick. We're one point away from last place with a healthy roster and we aren't getting that sort of play. So a top 5 pick, possibly even in the top 3 is absolutely possible. We are that bad right now. Would Winchester and Stuart put us into playoff contention if they were healthy? Doesn't matter because Roy wouldn't scratch McLeod for Winchester. But yes I agree Yandle will get overpaid but the jist of what I was saying was we need one more top 6 forward and one top 4 defenseman.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But that's the thing about our pick. We're one point away from last place with a healthy roster and we aren't getting that sort of play. So a top 5 pick, possibly even in the top 3 is absolutely possible. We are that bad right now. Would Winchester and Stuart put us into playoff contention if they were healthy? Doesn't matter because Roy wouldn't scratch McLeod for Winchester. But yes I agree Yandle will get overpaid but the jist of what I was saying was we need one more top 6 forward and one top 4 defenseman.

Free agency isn't the way to go to fill those holes. Not right now.

Sure this team is 29th in the league as of today, and in all likelihood very well could finish bottom-5 and even bottom-3. But to pencil in a player RIGHT NOW for next year's lineup? Why?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

It's a good core but by no means is it a cut above the rest and then add in a poor supporting cast. No, I don't think Roy should be getting more out of them. Duchene, MacKinnon and Landeskog lead the team in scoring. Barrie is 4th with 18 points, EJ has 5 goals and 10 points. We can't even be asking for more from them. We all know it would have helped if Varly was better earlier but that's not a Roy problem.

The thing is our "issues" haven't even been the same. It would be one thing if it's the same thing but it's not. Last year the bulk of the problem was not scoring, this year it's blowing games. It can be traced back to the same ailments of lack of possession, poor breakouts and those things we always talk about which have been long term issues, it's just funny that the problem is manifesting in different ways which is pretty difficult to fix in the short term.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Going back to the convo earlier, as bad as we are, I believe two FA signings can make the Avs a playoff contender. Also, 2 of our prized prospects making the jump. One top 6 forward and one top 4 dman should be their targets this summer. I know all about easier said than done. I have no idea if the cap will allow this, but imagine signing one of Radulov or Okposo, Yandle, and Rantanen and Zadorov make the team. Plus, our potential lottery pick could make the team.

Radulov - Duchene - Rantanen
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Puljujarvi
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Iginla
Comeau - Mitchell - Skille/Wagner (if either resign)

Yandle - EJ
Beauchemin - Barrie
Holden - Zadorov (could be disastrous pair, but too lazy to make another pairing)

As I mentioned, I have no clue if that fits under the cap, but my point stands. Our prospects making the team and two good FA signings can turn this team around. Also dumping Iginla can do wonders too. Then simply sign someone cheap or the guy coming back takes his spot.

that's almost 80 mil right there. and i was being little conservative with those new contracts.

it's going to be hard to pull that off even without yandle.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yandle isn't very good and whoever gives him the fat UFA contract will regret it within 2 seasons.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Yandle's ability to turn a play around and get the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone so effectively is one of if not the biggest thing this team has lacked in the past. I keep hearing he's bad defensively which he is but he would add a strength this team so badly needs and he's been a player I've said this team has needed for a while. In saying that I think it would be absolutely stupid to offer him the type of money he will get in free agency. He would be a huge help to our team but financially it's better to pass on him and look forward to the development of Zadorov and Bigras.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
So premature to even think about this subject, but Yandle is not a guy built to play on the top pair during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I bet he'll get $7 million annually. The Avs won't bother going near if that's the case.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Avs simply can't afford to strengthen our team via UFA this offseason.

We just signed too many bad contracts over the last 2-3 years.

Our core (Duchene, Johnson, Varlamov and Landeskog) takes up 23.5 M.

Stuart, Iginla, Beauchemin, Soderberg take up over 18 M.

Another 9M are locked up with Holden, Berra, McLeod, Comeau and Mitchell.

That alone puts us at 50M. We still have to sign MacKinnon and Barrie.

Those two will cost us atleast another 13 M probably.

So we are conservatively at 63M with only 15 players signed. Also Bordy is on the books for $ 1M who probably will be buried. $ 64M with 15 players signed.

If we want to have a roster of 23 players and give players like Grigo or Gormley (very slight ) raises, we will have maybe 3-4M to play with depending on where the cap will fall in its projected range of 71-74M.

That will not be close to enough for Radulov. It also will not close to be enough for Yandle.

So not going to happen unless they buyout Stuart, trade Iggy or trade Barrie (which would really suck).

However interestingly enough we could have 15M to spend the year afterwards but we kind of also need most of that money down the road for extensions of Zadorov, Bigras and Rantanen ...

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Avs simply can't afford to strengthen our team via UFA this offseason.

We just signed too many bad contracts over the last 2-3 years.

Our core (Duchene, Johnson, Varlamov and Landeskog) takes up 23.5 M.

Stuart, Iginla, Beauchemin, Soderberg take up over 18 M.

Another 9M are locked up with Holden, Berra, McLeod, Comeau and Mitchell.

That alone puts us at 50M. We still have to sign MacKinnon and Barrie.

Those two will cost us atleast another 13 M probably.

So we are conservatively at 63M with only 15 players signed. Also Bordy is on the books for $ 1M who probably will be buried. $ 64M with 15 players signed.

If we want to have a roster of 23 players and give players like Grigo or Gormley (very slight ) raises, we will have maybe 3-4M to play with depending on where the cap will fall in its projected range of 71-74M.

That will not be close to enough for Radulov. It also will not close to be enough for Yandle.

So not going to happen unless they buyout Stuart, trade Iggy or trade Barrie (which would really suck).

However interestingly enough we could have 15M to spend the year afterwards but we kind of need that money down the road for extensions of Zadorov, Bigras and Rantanen down the line...

stuart buyout doesn't save any cap space.

however, if he somehow managed to be injured that badly that he can't play, he could be LTIRed next season. i wouldn't count on that though, because if he gets healthy, avs could be in trouble.

trading iggy is the best option.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think the Avs D will be very young next season. Roy may not like it, but it is shaping up to be a situation where young guys will be better than fill in FAs when $/talent is considered.

Gormley, Zads, and Bigras will all be making the roster opening night 2016 if I had to bet.

Beauch - EJ
Zads - Barrie
Holden - Bigras
Gormley - Stuart

* just listed the 8, no real idea about projected pairings

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs can't make a big splash this off-season, but they can potentially add affordable veterans to fill depth roles.

Another Comeau-type signing to replace Alex Tanguay would be on my wishlist.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I wouldnt worry about the cap. If Toronto can get rid of Clarkson, we can certainly get rid of our dead weight.

I am not worrying about it. Just saying that those pipedreams of Yandle or Radulov caliber acquisations via UFA are really unrealistic.

Toronto basically paid a crapload of real money to get rid of Clarkson. Their saving grace was that Columbus was stupid enough to not insure Horton and the fact that LTIR does not count against the cap (but still costs money which Columbus does not have or atleast does not want to pay for a player not playing).

The Avs (or Kroenke to be exact) won't be spending that amount of cash to get rid of their bad contracts. Especially when the team is doing that poorly.

No one will give us cap relief for Stuart. Beauchemin, Comeau and Soderberg just got signed so they won't be traded (and all of them are somewhat useful anyways) and Iginla has a NTC that he seems very unwilling to waive.

Trading Berra/Holden/etc won't free enough capspace unless Barrie/Mac come in cheaper than expected (or if Barrie gets traded).

So yeah. If Iggy really likes Denver and the schoolsystem, the Avs will be pretty quiet in UFA next year...

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't want to hear excuses about lack of cap room. We've known about this upcoming summer for a long time. If we hampered ourselves with **** contracts that prevent us from doing what we need to do, heads need to roll.

MacKinnon and Barrie long-term. Radulov.

Those three priorities have been known for 2 years. If that can't get done, fire the whole lot, because we clearly cannot define a roadmap and execute it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't want to hear excuses about lack of cap room. We've known about this upcoming summer for a long time. If we hampered ourselves with **** contracts that prevent us from doing what we need to do, heads need to roll.

MacKinnon and Barrie long-term. Radulov.

Those three priorities have been known for 2 years. If that can't get done, fire the whole lot, because we clearly cannot define a roadmap and execute it.

I am not sure if the organisation has the same crush on Radulov that this board has.
Atleast the expectations are probably not as high.

But if Radulov really wants to play only for the Avs, there are of course ways to get this done.

Just not easy ways if Iggy refuses to waive his NTC.
You could for example sign Barrie or Mac to shorter, cheaper contracts. But that would hurt us longterm pretty badly.

You could also trade picks + prospects to get rid of Stuart. Also not a great option with our lack of depth.
We could also get lucky with the cap but the canadian dollar still seems rather weak.

I also don't believe that Radulov would take anything under 5.5-6M when you consider what he is earning in the KHL. He probably would want more.

I am also not sure that he wouldn't just go to a better team that could pay him more and give him a shot at the cup. Tampa for example will have some space once Stamkos walks and Kucherov is already there ;).

The Devils also would probably shower him with cash if he wanted to spice up their putrid forward core. Islanders also will have plenty of room if Okposo walks (and it looks like it). Playing next to Tavares in Brooklyn in an arena owned by Prokhorov seems like a decent option as well.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think the Avs D will be very young next season. Roy may not like it, but it is shaping up to be a situation where young guys will be better than fill in FAs when $/talent is considered.

Gormley, Zads, and Bigras will all be making the roster opening night 2016 if I had to bet.

Beauch - EJ
Zads - Barrie
Holden - Bigras
Gormley - Stuart

* just listed the 8, no real idea about projected pairings

If that is our defense next year, i fear it will be yet ANOTHER year without playoffs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd be fairly surprised if Iggy is with the team to start next season. He will probably get dumped over the summer.

I see next season as:

Landy (5.571) - MacK (7.5) - _____
_____-Duchene (6.0)-Rantanen (.925)
Mitchell (1.8)-Soderberg (4.75)-Comeau (2.4)
McLeod (1.33)-Wagner (.750)-Skille (.800)
Grigorenko (1.0)

Beauch (4.5)-EJ (6.0)
Zadorov (.895)-Barrie (6.0)
Bigras/Siemens (.845)-Holden (1.65)
Gormley (.900)
Stuart (3.6)

Varlamov (5.9)
Pickard (1.25)

That is ~64.4m, where it might be pretty easy to save 500-750k (Picks, Grigs, Gormley, Skille, Wagner re-signings). If the cap is $73m, that leaves a good chunk for one big signing and a smaller one... or two medium sized signings. If Iggy is still around, there would still be room for a ~4-5m player depending on the cap. If Rads is determined to come over, and Iggy stays... give a team a 2nd round pick and a B prospect to take Stuart off our hands for a year. Rads is easily worth giving up that to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad