Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think we'll end up with Radulov, personally. I'm not saying it's a done deal but I think it's something that just ends up happening.

Let's hope so, but we haven't really treated his fellow Russians well so far this year. Zadorov gets buried to the AHL, Grigorenko is benched for getting assists, and Varly doesn't play enough despite regaining some good form. It really looks like Patrick has lost the plot. I'm not sure how green our grass looks right now.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I think they have a vision now, we'll see how it ends up.

That is Sakic and Roy's vision. If Roy gets canned, or resigns, then it's hard to say if the vision will change.

The other thing that will be interesting to see is if the Avs go into the off-season with Duchene as a centerman or a winger. I know Roy referred to the Sakic/Forsberg situation in reference to MacKinnon/Duchene. The draft could probaby influence this situation as well, if the Avs do in fact end up with a top-5 pick.

______-MacKinnon-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Rantanen
Comeau-Top5pick-Iginla

With the top-5 pick hopefully bumping Soderberg to the third line in time.

Or

Landeskog-MacKinnon-______
___________-Duchene-Rantanen
Comeau-Soderberg-Iginla

With the top-5 pick sliding onto one of those wings.

Regardless, a top-5 pick and Rantanen would certainly replenish that forward core. Suddenly the Avs would be back to 5 young stars up front.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As terrible as things are y'all really need to be looking at the standings to really see how hard it is going to be to get a top 5 pick. It would be nice if our pick could play but for now I'd assume a Rantanen type situation until things get a bit clearer there.

I also don't even see Duchene staying on the wing much longer this season, I don't think they are planing that for the future at all.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Oh no Roy isn't treating Grigs and Zadorov like they are EJ and Duchene. They should just head to Russia already. Gosh darn it Roy, ruining these Russians. Varly will be playing a ton of games down the stretch. It's really no big deal.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Please no Radulov.
Would rather take anyone else.

And this is non-hockey related.
Would be a big upgrade for us for sure in the top-6.

If Boedker won't sign in Arizona that would be the guy I'd look at to put on Duchene's wing when he goes back to center.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
My god some of you guys put to way to much emphasis on skating. That doesn't make someone a better more effective player. If all you bring to the table is goal scoring and skating, well, all you really bring is goal scoring. Skating is a physical trait, not something that shows how good/effective you are at hockey. The only difference that Skinner's skating gives him is the way he looks on the ice. Some people will be wowed by that and think the others are slow. But the results are still the same. You still have players who can score goals but are liabilities in other areas.

As for passing, what? How the hell is Skinner better?

Floating is not good. It might make the individual look good, but this is a team game. The point is to win hockey games, not pad your individual stats.

Floating is never good...Meant to say Pap was good when he wasn't floating my brain is too fast from my fingers sometimes.

Skinner is can actually receive and make a simple pass which Iginla has a hard time doing. He's clearly better in every aspect of the game except for hits which doesn't mean much.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
As terrible as things are y'all really need to be looking at the standings to really see how hard it is going to be to get a top 5 pick. It would be nice if our pick could play but for now I'd assume a Rantanen type situation until things get a bit clearer there.

I also don't even see Duchene staying on the wing much longer this season, I don't think they are planing that for the future at all.

We've played 29 games and are 27th in the league in points, with 28th place Calgary having 2 games in hand and 29th place Carolina having 1 game in hand, both 1 point behind us. 30th place Columbus is 1 point behind us as well.

Obviously there is a cluster of teams in and around that bottom-10 area but it's been over a third of the season and we're still a bottom-5 team, I don't think we're going to see improvement, especially with games like the one we just saw vs Pittsburgh. This team is destined for a bottom-5 finish

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I heard this last year when it was floated they could get a top 5 pick. As difficult as it is to climb over 5+ teams for the playoffs, the opposite is true to fall under 5+ teams to get a draft slot. Don't count on it.

I understand you are saying we are there NOW which is at least different than projecting a move but things are so close right now that just one win reshuffles everything, had we won last night we'd be tied for 10th. That's just way too volatile. There's going to be teams selling off and some that will really pull the plug, that won't be us.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We've played 29 games and are 27th in the league in points, with 28th place Calgary having 2 games in hand and 29th place Carolina having 1 game in hand, both 1 point behind us. 30th place Columbus is 1 point behind us as well.

Obviously there is a cluster of teams in and around that bottom-10 area but it's been over a third of the season and we're still a bottom-5 team, I don't think we're going to see improvement, especially with games like the one we just saw vs Pittsburgh. This team is destined for a bottom-5 finish

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. Unlike many who call for a coaching change, I simply don't the the AVs in general are a very good team. They've got a few good players and even fewer great ones. They've got some sort of stew cooking in the AHL which is interesting but it's not helping (yet) at the NHL level. Should the AVs be a better team? Yes...there is a lot of bad puck luck going on. Duchene's first month was truly a horror movie. He appears to be on track now but it's at the sacrifice of having a better second line. Varly, has been pretty terrible this season but seems to be on the verge of getting back on track. The AVs still have a very weak second and third line which should be producing more and a pretty spotty defensive core.

I don't believe the best coach in the world could really help this team. It's going to take better players and that involves winning a lot of trades in quick succession or just time to allow younger players to develop. Biggest reason I semi-quit posting and reading here is that sometimes it feels like many believe we are a coach-flip away from a good team. We're really not. This team does under-perform but it's not the coaches fault only or even mostly....and a change of coach is not suddenly going to make the team better in the long run. Honestly, I love that Roy has a say in personnel moves, it provides more congruity between what the team is trying to do and the type of player the scouts are looking at and researching. The downfall is when folks see a scrub consistently getting ice time they don't understand that some sacrifices need to be made in the short term to allow full player development (talking specifically about why folks like Guenin, Redmond and Holden <who has been good this year> continues to see ice time over some of the prospects in the AHL here.) The same could be said of keeping Tanguay and Iginla around. Yes, they are shadows of the players they used to be but by being in the lineup they allow other players to develop and also provide a positive, professional influence in the locker-room of a pretty young core of players.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I heard this last year when it was floated they could get a top 5 pick. As difficult as it is to climb over 5+ teams for the playoffs, the opposite is true to fall under 5+ teams to get a draft slot. Don't count on it.

I understand you are saying we are there NOW which is at least different than projecting a move but things are so close right now that just one win reshuffles everything, had we won last night we'd be tied for 10th. That's just way too volatile. There's going to be teams selling off and some that will really pull the plug, that won't be us.

No, it won't be us, but the teams who sell off will be playing their core players and their players who will be either working towards a contract for next season or trying to lock down a roster spot. What will we have?

A bunch of veterans who won't care less (Iginla, Tanguay), a horrid defence, and not enough secondary pieces to help MacKinnon/Duchene/Landy (provided Landy is even healthy) to win us games, even though Soderberg is doing all he can in that regard.

I just can't see this team finishing any higher than 23rd in the league, and my prediction is a bottom-5 finish. The game we saw vs Pittsburgh gave every indication that this team is simply finished this year

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. Unlike many who call for a coaching change, I simply don't the the AVs in general are a very good team. They've got a few good players and even fewer great ones. They've got some sort of stew cooking in the AHL which is interesting but it's not helping (yet) at the NHL level. Should the AVs be a better team? Yes...there is a lot of bad puck luck going on. Duchene's first month was truly a horror movie. He appears to be on track now but it's at the sacrifice of having a better second line. Varly, has been pretty terrible this season but seems to be on the verge of getting back on track. The AVs still have a very weak second and third line which should be producing more and a pretty spotty defensive core.

I don't believe the best coach in the world could really help this team. It's going to take better players and that involves winning a lot of trades in quick succession or just time to allow younger players to develop. Biggest reason I semi-quit posting and reading here is that sometimes it feels like many believe we are a coach-flip away from a good team. We're really not. This team does under-perform but it's not the coaches fault only or even mostly....and a change of coach is not suddenly going to make the team better in the long run. Honestly, I love that Roy has a say in personnel moves, it provides more congruity between what the team is trying to do and the type of player the scouts are looking at and researching. The downfall is when folks see a scrub consistently getting ice time they don't understand that some sacrifices need to be made in the short term to allow full player development (talking specifically about why folks like Guenin, Redmond and Holden <who has been good this year> continues to see ice time over some of the prospects in the AHL here.) The same could be said of keeping Tanguay and Iginla around. Yes, they are shadows of the players they used to be but by being in the lineup they allow other players to develop and also provide a positive, professional influence in the locker-room of a pretty young core of players.

This is a great post. Can't argue with any of it except I think that we will pick up some points later in the year and pass teams like Toronto buffalo and maybe even Edmonton. The lack of OT games is odd so even if we lose those eventually we should start seeing some which will lead to loser points. The Avs have 12 ROW. In the bottom 10 in the league only Arizona has more (13). Throughout the league Ottawa (9th) and the Islanders (7th) have 12 and 13 ROW as well. If the Avs get the kind of goaltending we all know Varly is capable of they will at least go to OT more giving them wins or OTL and move up in the standings. I am expecting, like TV said, a 10-13 pick unless the Avs win the lottery.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This is a great post. Can't argue with any of it except I think that we will pick up some points later in the year and pass teams like Toronto buffalo and maybe even Edmonton. The lack of OT games is odd so even if we lose those eventually we should start seeing some which will lead to loser points. The Avs have 12 ROW. In the bottom 10 in the league only Arizona has more (13). Throughout the league Ottawa (9th) and the Islanders (7th) have 12 and 13 ROW as well. If the Avs get the kind of goaltending we all know Varly is capable of they will at least go to OT more giving them wins or OTL and move up in the standings. I am expecting, like TV said, a 10-13 pick unless the Avs win the lottery.
Honestly, I hope the AVs never care about pick position again for another decade. They've got three top-3 picks and only need to work a longer range deal with one of them. I think the days of sucking for the sake of sucking were over the minute Roy came on board. That doesn't mean it's an easy road. What it means is the core pieces are pretty much in place but we need more secondary pieces. We need wingers who shoot with accuracy and often (we've got one in the AHL but need more) and we need d-men who can move the puck (which we seem to have in the AHL right now but need more time to cook.) My fear is that Varly might not be the goalie of the future when the stew has properly cooked. If the AVs think they have a starter in Pickard, I'd think he should be the backup next season with an expected 25-30 game load and see how he does and then look to trade Varly if he still has value. The thing is, these are all long-range plans. There is no over-night fix to any NHL team. Usually a coaching change helps in the short run but over the long term...it's the talent on the team and the communication between the coach with his desired preference of player type, the scouts and the GM that make it all work. The AVs have done a good job recently making changes...I simply don't understand why folks got so soured on Roy.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
No, it won't be us, but the teams who sell off will be playing their core players and their players who will be either working towards a contract for next season or trying to lock down a roster spot. What will we have?

A bunch of veterans who won't care less (Iginla, Tanguay), a horrid defence, and not enough secondary pieces to help MacKinnon/Duchene/Landy (provided Landy is even healthy) to win us games, even though Soderberg is doing all he can in that regard.

I just can't see this team finishing any higher than 23rd in the league, and my prediction is a bottom-5 finish. The game we saw vs Pittsburgh gave every indication that this team is simply finished this year

I definitely think we'll be drafting top 10 but highly doubt it'll be top 5 unless they win a lottery pick. I'm confident they'll finish ahead of Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Toronto and Columbus with a good chance of being ahead of Arizona and Buffalo as well. I expect a 7th or 8th pick.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly, I hope the AVs never care about pick position again for another decade. They've got three top-3 picks and only need to work a longer range deal with one of them. I think the days of sucking for the sake of sucking were over the minute Roy came on board. That doesn't mean it's an easy road. What it means is the core pieces are pretty much in place but we need more secondary pieces. We need wingers who shoot with accuracy and often (we've got one in the AHL but need more) and we need d-men who can move the puck (which we seem to have in the AHL right now but need more time to cook.) My fear is that Varly might not be the goalie of the future when the stew has properly cooked. If the AVs think they have a starter in Pickard, I'd think he should be the backup next season with an expected 25-30 game load and see how he does and then look to trade Varly if he still has value. The thing is, these are all long-range plans. There is no over-night fix to any NHL team. Usually a coaching change helps in the short run but over the long term...it's the talent on the team and the communication between the coach with his desired preference of player type, the scouts and the GM that make it all work. The AVs have done a good job recently making changes...I simply don't understand why folks got so soured on Roy.

I've been a Roy supporter from the very beginning and I do continue to back him because 1) his true system is not in place, and 2) the personnel to run said system aren't ready yet, but it's getting much closer with each passing day (Bigras, Zadorov, Rantanen to name a few players on the way).

The one thing that irks me to no end about Roy, though, is the instant line shuffling. It's not so much the line shuffling in general, it's how quickly he does it. Case in point last night. I'm a firm believer in letting lines figure out the kinks and work their way to success, not scrapping things instantly. What he did to Grigorenko vs the Penguins last night I didn't agree with one bit

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I definitely think we'll be drafting top 10 but highly doubt it'll be top 5 unless they win a lottery pick. I'm confident they'll finish ahead of Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Toronto and Columbus with a good chance of being ahead of Arizona and Buffalo as well. I expect a 7th or 8th pick.

I think the only teams we're going to finish ahead of definitely are Columbus and Carolina, and Carolina only because I can see them completely tearing things down as early as this season's trade deadline.

The Oilers are ahead of us right now, and they're ahead of us without an entire 2nd line of Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov. I predicted them at the start of the year to battle for a playoff spot and that's exactly what I think they'll do.

Toronto could very well finish behind us, that team you just never know how many wins they're going to squeak out though under Babcock. I can see the Flames finishing slightly ahead of us too, provided one of Ramo/Hiller gives them good enough goaltending. Buffalo I think we'll be neck and neck with and finish around the same area.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've been a Roy supporter from the very beginning and I do continue to back him because 1) his true system is not in place, and 2) the personnel to run said system aren't ready yet, but it's getting much closer with each passing day (Bigras, Zadorov, Rantanen to name a few players on the way).

The one thing that irks me to no end about Roy, though, is the instant line shuffling. It's not so much the line shuffling in general, it's how quickly he does it. Case in point last night. I'm a firm believer in letting lines figure out the kinks and work their way to success, not scrapping things instantly. What he did to Grigorenko vs the Penguins last night I didn't agree with one bit

Roy isn't shuffling as much as he used to, he's been pretty consistent with lines all year. The Grigo thing he didn't want to play him anyway so that's how that happened so quickly last night. I'd have more issue with not recognizing the limitations of guys like Tanguay and Iginla sooner. He seems to be a bit on Tanguay and getting them away from the little scoring talent we have but until he gets Iggy off of a feature role on the PP then he hasn't yet.

They definitely aren't trying to lose, I think Roy is incapable of it anyway. My concern is how long is he going to try and make it work with his vets and "known quantity" guys before trying out some things that are for the future and could have benefit as soon as next year if they just accept it and put the minutes to good use. We all said oh wait until the deadline last year but that wasn't the case. Roy is going to keep trying to get blood out of a stone until they are just completely eliminated.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I personally disagree. When you look at good coaches and see what McLellan is doing in Edmonton and Babcock is doing in Toronto, it's pretty obvious coaching does make a big difference. The Avs aren't a great team and I don't believe a coaching change will make us contenders, but if we had an actual structure and system in place, we'd be a bubble playoff team.

I've lost faith in Roy because he simply can't adapt. Maybe he'll be a great coach once he has the right players for his system. However, with the league being the way it is, you need to be able to adapt. You can't keep a team together for a long period of time. Good coaches can make a system for the players they have to work with. He still has his positives, but they aren't enough IMO.

Also, I would question the positive influence Iggy and Tanguay bring to the locker room. Imagine them saying something along the lines of 'We're still in this, we can bounce back the next period, just need to give it our all' and than you see them floating around the ice doing next to nothing. Our best season is when we had a young group of core leaders with Stastny being the 'vet presence'.

I don't believe you can just throw a group of young guys onto a team and believe they don't need guidance, but you also can't have a bunch of washed up vets being the focal point either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
People can say Edmonton and Toronto are doing better but they have 26 and 25 points, just like us. I know, they either are expected to be worse or have less talent than us but at the end of the say its the same boat.

I agree there must be some odd dynamic with the old vets as "leaders". A guy like McLeod who has been here and is an Av through and though I get that more than slapping an A on Iggy because of who he is.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
People can say Edmonton and Toronto are doing better but they have 26 and 25 points, just like us. I know, they either are expected to be worse or have less talent than us but at the end of the say its the same boat.

I agree there must be some odd dynamic with the old vets as "leaders". A guy like McLeod who has been here and is an Av through and though I get that more than slapping an A on Iggy because of who he is.

Is it really though? Toronto has Matt Hunwick playing 1st line minutes. That team shouldn't have the same amount of points than us.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

Agree again except for the Varly comments but won't go into that too deeply. I think he can be the guy here, but we'll see.

In terms of people talking about Toronto. They have 7 ROW, 3SOW and 5 OTL. That team is not doing better than the Avs regardless of what the Toronto media is trying to tell you. The leafs also look terrible in most facets of the game other than the occasional game where they do well on face offs.

Edmonton also has similar talent to the Avs. If anything they are where the Avs were 2 years ago except they don't have a Varly to hide their defensive deficiencies and mcdavid (their Mackinnon) got injured. They also play in a terrible division and can pick up free wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad