Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yes, and so is Tanguay. But Tanguay absolutely sucks. I doubt the Islanders would do Hamonic for Barrie straight up, yet you have them adding far more value on top of it all.

Basically this. It would need to be Barrie, Siemens, Tanguay and a 2nd or something for Hamonic and Okposo. We would have better luck moving Barrie and Siemens for Hamonic

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Lol, Russell is not good. There's no way I'd give up that much to get him. He gets destroyed possession wise. Blocking all those shots is not a good thing.

Russell a lot better than Holden. Capable of top4 minutes, and along side Hamonic, instead of Barrie, would be a formidable 2nd pairing.

Forget the trade for a second, why is Guenin in that lineup for next season? Need to let both him and Redmond walk and try to find a way out of that Stuart contract.

Who said anything about next season? They make those trades today, and that's our line-up.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Snow apparently stated what characteristics he wants back for Hamonic, and Barrie meets almost none of them.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Lol, Russell is not good. There's no way I'd give up that much to get him. He gets destroyed possession wise. Blocking all those shots is not a good thing.

I liked Yosts idea of Fayne actually, not sure I'd bet as hard on him turning around quite as much (Think he said he thought he could be a #3). But I could see a solid #4.

Maybe if Edmonton really does not believe in him they'd be willing to swap him for Stuart considering Fayne has an extra year on Stuart for similar money.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Stuart has one injury, I don't think we can project he'll never return. He's not Winchester.

If Guenin gets re-signed I'm quitting this board. I don't think so, Roy seems to have soured on him a bit.

I'm right there with you but I can't imagine they'd do something so stupid. Like you said, despite the fact he's back in the lineup Roy seems to have begun phasing him out.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Russell a lot better than Holden. Capable of top4 minutes, and along side Hamonic, instead of Barrie, would be a formidable 2nd pairing.

Kris Russell most certainly isn't capable of 2nd pairing minutes. That's like saying Nick Holden is capable of 2nd pairing minutes. The reality is both are 3rd pairing defensemen at best

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the Avs want to try someone other than Holden on the 2nd pairing they should try either putting Gormley in there or plucking someone from San Antonio. Getting yet another 3rd pairing defender is not the answer.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the Avs want to try someone other than Holden on the 2nd pairing they should try either putting Gormley in there or plucking someone from San Antonio. Getting yet another 3rd pairing defender is not the answer.

It's not, more bottom roster players is the last thing we need. I think I brought it up to wonder what the roster is REALISTICALLY going to look like next year. Even with a lot of bums on expiring contracts I still find it hard to envision Roy putting a lot of kids on the roster. It's clear they have Bigras on the fast track though so I don't know.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Re: Hamomnic/Russell

It's hard to envision the Avs adding Kris Russell, or a guy like him.

Nikita Zadorov and Chris Bigras will both likely be NHL contributors, in some capacity, by next season. Meanwhile, Colorado has an additional 6 defensemen signed/rights to - Beauchemin, Johnson, Barrie, Gormley, Holden, and Stuart.

True, the Avs could cut ties with Gormley, or somehow trade Holden or Stuart, but all three seem unlikely (for different reasons).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We're not getting rid of Stuart's cap hit. Seems like a good leader, so I'd rather keep him around as the 7th/8th D. It's better than sending him to San Antonio to take away minutes from the kids. Nobody is touching that $3.6m next season, we're stuck with him.

Tanguay/Winchester/Bordeleau/Cliche/Guenin/Redmond are our UFAs who need to walk.

Keep Skille and maybe Noreau, but I don't really care about him.

Get MacKinnon and Barrie signed long-term.

Find a taker for Iginla. Try hard not to retain salary, but the truth is we can manage retaining a decent chunk if the return will be better. It's only for a year, so I'd eat $3m or something of it to get some good value back.

Rantanen and Zadorov will have places on this team unless something very weird happens.

Move a goalie, preferably Berra. Draft pick or whatever.

In free agency, target a scoring winger and a depth defenseman who is better than Stuart/Redmond/Guenin, ideally a guy who can really push Gormley and allow dudes like Bigras to stay down another year if they need to.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We're not getting rid of Stuart's cap hit. Seems like a good leader, so I'd rather keep him around as the 7th/8th D. It's better than sending him to San Antonio to take away minutes from the kids. Nobody is touching that $3.6m next season, we're stuck with him.

Tanguay/Winchester/Bordeleau/Cliche/Guenin/Redmond are our UFAs who need to walk.

Keep Skille and maybe Noreau, but I don't really care about him.

Get MacKinnon and Barrie signed long-term.

Find a taker for Iginla. Try hard not to retain salary, but the truth is we can manage retaining a decent chunk if the return will be better. It's only for a year, so I'd eat $3m or something of it to get some good value back.

Rantanen and Zadorov will have places on this team unless something very weird happens.

Move a goalie, preferably Berra. Draft pick or whatever.

In free agency, target a scoring winger and a depth defenseman who is better than Stuart/Redmond/Guenin, ideally a guy who can really push Gormley and allow dudes like Bigras to stay down another year if they need to.

I definitely think this should be the plan of action for the Avs.

MTL seems to have a lot of interest in Iggy. Anything from 1st + Reway to a 1st + McCarron/Scherbak would be fine by me, retaining salary for a better return should be something the Avs consider as well.

The only thing I'd be hesitant on, would be pulling the trigger on a scoring forward free agent this summer. I really like Okposo and would like to see him on the Avs. But I think it depends on what we do at the deadline and especially at the draft this summer. If we end up with a Top 5 pick again this year, I think its pretty likely we end up taking one of Laine/Puljujarvi/Tkachuk or obviously Matthews if we win the lottery.

If we take one of those guys, I'm not sure the need for a Top 6 forward will exist anymore nor would we be able to afford one. Perhaps we could look at another Dman instead, or improving our bottom 6 with a top notch 3rd liner or something.

Next year, I think/hope our roster would look like this:

Landeskog - Mack - Duchene
Rantanen - Grigs - xxx
Comeau - Soderberg - Wagner
McCleod - Mitchell - Skille

Beau - EJ
Zads - Barrie
Bigras - Holden/Stuart

Varly

I really like the bottom 6. Wagner and Skille bring a lot of energy every night, Soderberg and Mitchell are both capable of slotting one spot higher as #2 and #3 Centers, so they would really benefit from the lesser roles and should excel in those roles. The big hole IMO comes with that 2nd spot in the Top 6 and IMO it all comes down to who we draft. If its one of the big name forwards, I think they would make the opening night roster next year in that role(We would probably have to adjust lines though rather then have 2 rookies on one line). If we dont draft one of those guys, then I would love to see the Avs go after Okposo, Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, etc. Someone of that nature who can really give the Avs an offensive boost to the Top 6. Right now we rely way to much on one line.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Yeah the ufa guys need to go and iginla. But the problem is Colorado lacks the depth to r place these players. Which is the reasons Colorado acquired these stop gap players in the first place.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Iginla has a No Trade Clause in his contract, and was quoted as recently as a month ago as saying he won't waive it.

I don't think people should get their hopes up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I definitely think this should be the plan of action for the Avs.

MTL seems to have a lot of interest in Iggy. Anything from 1st + Reway to a 1st + McCarron/Scherbak would be fine by me, retaining salary for a better return should be something the Avs consider as well.

The only thing I'd be hesitant on, would be pulling the trigger on a scoring forward free agent this summer. I really like Okposo and would like to see him on the Avs. But I think it depends on what we do at the deadline and especially at the draft this summer. If we end up with a Top 5 pick again this year, I think its pretty likely we end up taking one of Laine/Puljujarvi/Tkachuk or obviously Matthews if we win the lottery.

If we take one of those guys, I'm not sure the need for a Top 6 forward will exist anymore nor would we be able to afford one. Perhaps we could look at another Dman instead, or improving our bottom 6 with a top notch 3rd liner or something.

Next year, I think/hope our roster would look like this:

Landeskog - Mack - Duchene
Rantanen - Grigs - xxx
Comeau - Soderberg - Wagner
McCleod - Mitchell - Skille

Beau - EJ
Zads - Barrie
Bigras - Holden/Stuart

Varly

I really like the bottom 6. Wagner and Skille bring a lot of energy every night, Soderberg and Mitchell are both capable of slotting one spot higher as #2 and #3 Centers, so they would really benefit from the lesser roles and should excel in those roles. The big hole IMO comes with that 2nd spot in the Top 6 and IMO it all comes down to who we draft. If its one of the big name forwards, I think they would make the opening night roster next year in that role(We would probably have to adjust lines though rather then have 2 rookies on one line). If we dont draft one of those guys, then I would love to see the Avs go after Okposo, Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, etc. Someone of that nature who can really give the Avs an offensive boost to the Top 6. Right now we rely way to much on one line.

We aren't getting McCarron straight up for Iginla, alone McCarron +1st. Sure teams would like to have Iginla for depth and veteran leadership but every NHL team has scouts who watch other teams play. We aren't going to trick any GM into believing Iginla is anywhere near as good as he used to be. They are seeing the same thing we are which is pure crap with a good shot on goal every couple of games. He's on pace for 49 points and brings absolutely nothing else to the table.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We aren't getting McCarron straight up for Iginla, alone McCarron +1st. Sure teams would like to have Iginla for depth and veteran leadership but every NHL team has scouts who watch other teams play. We aren't going to trick any GM into believing Iginla is anywhere near as good as he used to be. They are seeing the same thing we are which is pure crap with a good shot on goal every couple of games. He's on pace for 49 points and brings absolutely nothing else to the table.

Pretty much. If we got Montreal's first alone I'd take it and run. I do think he has some value especially to a contender. I seriously don't think any team could be swindled into taking Tanguay unless they have no scouts or are completely desperate and give us close to nothing for him.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Pretty much. If we got Montreal's first alone I'd take it and run. I do think he has some value especially to a contender. I seriously don't think any team could be swindled into taking Tanguay unless they have no scouts or are completely desperate and give us close to nothing for him.

Every year teams overpay for vets with playoff experience who are 3rd liners though so I still expect a 2nd/3rd for Tanguay IF Sakic actually trades him.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Semin would be interesting. Would fill a top 6 hole so we don't have to call anyone else up if (when) injury hits. He had some crazy possession numbers, but a lot of that is probably a product of playing for a dominating Montreal team, although his P/60 and RelCorsi% show it wasn't all that - something maybe just not clicking for him there, doesn't strike me as a Therrien type guy, but maybe someone Roy could work with.

He is pretty slow these days, bad first step and still floats a bit. Have heard some interesting stuff about how he has always trained the old Soviet style - for endurance - so now that the game has changed (and really it has been this way since he has been in the league) and shifts are so short, he may never be tired at the end of shifts or even a game but he also doesn't have the ability to "burst" for a 30-45 second shift. Explains why as he's gotten older he hasn't been able to keep producing quite as well since he now has lost of the athleticism that carried him when he was younger and his training doesn't fit today's NHL style.

All that said I think he'd be worth a look on that cheap deal, not like we couldn't just waive him too if it didn't work out and best case he plays great here and we maybe flip him to a contender at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad