Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Absolutely they would... they are only a couple pieces from competing for a cup. Barrie is one of those pieces (elite offensive defensemen).

My question has more to do with the financial aspect.

Would they deal Hamonic for a guy that may be asking for more than 6M/year? I don't believe they would.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Any thoughts on a 3-way deal. Not saying this is exactly right but

Hamonic to Edmonton
Josi to NYI
The nuge to Nashville?

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Absolutely they would... they are only a couple pieces from competing for a cup. Barrie is one of those pieces (elite offensive defensemen).

I don't. Trouba will be a better Hamonic here real soon.

Oh I agree, Trouba is special, he's still learning the game, but the kid is real good. In my book much better than hammonic in a very short time.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Would they deal Hamonic for a guy that may be asking for more than 6M/year? I don't believe they would.

It depends on what they want. I doubt any other team will offer a defensman of Barrie's calibre for Hamonic. If Snow is looking for the best replacement possible to lessen a bad situation, he would have to be interested. The Islanders will not find a Hamonic level replacement on the type of contract he has.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

They would... the financial part is more of a myth at this point. They prefer to lock up players early and for long contracts, but they spend and will spend more than others for similar players. They offered Iggy a 4th year and higher AAV than the Avs did. They've overpaid for Kulemin and Grabo. They paid up for Leddy and Boychuk. They would pay Barrie what it took to keep him.

The Islanders' window basically is starting now and they have some good prospect depth still. They are going to want back the best player they can get in a deal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hamonic's cap hit is really cheap but I think he's making close to $5M/yr in actual money for the rest of his contract. I don't know the Islanders financial situation but it doesn't seem like a huge issue to me if they can lock Barrie in around $6M/yr.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hamonic's cap hit is really cheap but I think he's making close to $5M/yr in actual money for the rest of his contract. I don't know the Islanders financial situation but it doesn't seem like a huge issue to me if they can lock Barrie in around $6M/yr.

4.875m starting next season to be exact.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Any thoughts on a 3-way deal. Not saying this is exactly right but

Hamonic to Edmonton
Josi to NYI
The nuge to Nashville?

Josi is worth a lot more than RNH. Likely RNH + Nurse at this point IMO. He's a top 10 d in the league at 4M$ for many years still and keeps getting better.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I heard Button on Leafs Lunch and he brought up Pulock. Whats his deal? Cause maybe they just bring him up and do a deal around Eberle and Hamonic? JT and Eberle back together?!

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It depends on what they want. I doubt any other team will offer a defensman of Barrie's calibre for Hamonic. If Snow is looking for the best replacement possible to lessen a bad situation, he would have to be interested. The Islanders will not find a Hamonic level replacement on the type of contract he has.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate. I don't see the Jets giving up Trouba in exchange though it would make them a better team in the short-term but worst off later on.

I think we absolutely DO have the resources to get this done but whether it happens or not remains to be seen. I think one-for-one Barrie for Hamonic is a fair trade but do Sakic and Snow see it that way? Probably not. Sakic can point to Barrie's offensive numbers from last year on a non-playoff team and Snow can point to Hamonic's contract which is phenomenal.

Funny how it makes sense for both teams though. Avs are trying to be sure they can afford their RFAs and still improve the club (this would certainly help in that regard) and the Isles are put in a tough spot by needing to trade him but getting an offensive dynamo like Barrie on their team would give them another dimension and a pretty solid return, all things considered.

Still, if Snow wants to turn the page at some point and fill a hole that he definitely has in his lineup and offensive D is one of those, if the Avs were to offer Barrie I don't believe he'll get a better D-man in exchange from any of the cities that are relatively close geographically. He might get a better package but I don't see the Jets giving up Trouba or the Wild giving up Brodin. The Oil's D are too unproven and Calgary just made a major trade for Hamilton. Tanev isn't enough.

I will point out that it's always possible, (more like probable) that Garth Snow makes a bad trade here though.

4.875m starting next season to be exact.

That's what he'll be paid by the team but the cap hit is : $3,857,142 for FOUR years after this one. :amazed:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't. Trouba will be a better Hamonic here real soon.

I'm basing this off of Trouba's struggles thus far in 15-16, but you're likely correct in that assumption.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's what he'll be paid by the team but the cap hit is : $3,857,142 for FOUR years after this one. :amazed:

The discussion there was the Islanders not paying Barrie after the season. So basically they'd add about 1-1.5m on top of Hamonic's salary in real dollars on Barrie's next contract.

A Barrie-Hamonic swap still seems really fair to me. Both are top 4 RD... one is excellent (arguably elite offensively), one is excellent defensively with some offensive punch. Salary this year is a near wash and going forward Barrie will demand slightly more, but is younger and more dynamic.

The Avs would create a big hole on the PP with the trade that they would have to get creative to fill. Barrie isn't a great PPQB, but he is the best on the Avs have.

I'm basing this off of Trouba's struggles thus far in 15-16, but you're likely correct in that assumption.

He is having a rough year (and did last year too), it is normal for young defensemen to struggle like that once the scouting report is out on them. He will adjust and be fine. I just don't see any incentive for Winnipeg to do it... trade the younger, similar defensemen with a higher ceiling for an older version. It just doesn't make much sense unless Trouba wants out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dreger says five teams in the forefront. Jets, Oilers, Flames, Wild, and Avs. It's expected that list will grow unless one of those teams steps up big.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What would the Avs offer the Islanders besides Barrie? If it was a straight Harmonic - Barrie swap i'd be pretty upset.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
This whole Hamonic thing doesnt feel right to me. It feels like both sides are being forced to accommodate a player's demand. Yeah your getting a good defender but at his value your being asked to out of the blue give up a significant asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad