Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If he does I hope the Avs are in on him. Think he has tons of potential still and needs to get out of Edmonton.

He would fit wonderfully with the Avalanchski of Coloradov. Love how big that little guy plays and his talent is through the roof if a real coach gets his hands on him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still like Yakupov's talent but wouldn't be too interested in giving up what it would likely take to get him. Unless they want hometown boy Duncan Siemens.....

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I still like Yakupov's talent but wouldn't be too interested in giving up what it would likely take to get him. Unless they want hometown boy Duncan Siemens.....

That's where I'd be interested in him. If the Oilers see him as a throw away and just want to move him while he has some value left. I wouldn't trade for him if they think they can still get full value.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Well maybe with Eberle out for a bit they put Yak with McDavid. How that wasnt there first thought still boggles me. Gotta get the kid going some how

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Untapped potential, a guy who has been used as a bottom-6 forward for the majority of his career thus far which boggles my mind. I'd love if we acquired him. Great attitude and work ethic and a lethal shot.

If im Yaks agent im seriously asking for a trade soon.

Like do you need to put Hall with McD? That line with the Nuge was money. It was set. You have this highly talented winger in Yaks that needs a center. You bring in Derek roy for a hot minute and it worked because he can actually make a pass, so new year, you win the lottery, and your like oh we need a C to play with Yak, who? who can that be? umm dude I dont know

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If im Yaks agent im seriously asking for a trade soon.

Like do you need to put Hall with McD? That line with the Nuge was money. It was set. You have this highly talented winger in Yaks that needs a center. You bring in Derek roy for a hot minute and it worked because he can actually make a pass, so new year, you win the lottery, and your like oh we need a C to play with Yak, who? who can that be? umm dude I dont know

To be fair the Hall-RNH-Eberle line isn't money. In fact, the line works MUCH better with Benoit Pouliot on the left side. RNH and Eberle have outstanding chemistry with one another, evidenced last season when Hall got hurt and Pouliot got bumped up, they were amongst the league leaders in points. They work well as a two-man unit with a big, physical winger, which is exactly what Pouliot is. So, putting Hall with McDavid is the logical choice.

The not-so-logical choice is playing Teddy Purcell on that line instead of Yakupov. Sure, he's experienced but he's not very good, and he's very slow, too. Couple that with the fact that Yakupov is now going to play with Anton Lander, who has absolutely no offensive capabilities and is a strictly defensive centre, and it won't shock me whatsoever if Yakupov struggles this season.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
To be fair the Hall-RNH-Eberle line isn't money. In fact, the line works MUCH better with Benoit Pouliot on the left side. RNH and Eberle have outstanding chemistry with one another, evidenced last season when Hall got hurt and Pouliot got bumped up, they were amongst the league leaders in points. They work well as a two-man unit with a big, physical winger, which is exactly what Pouliot is. So, putting Hall with McDavid is the logical choice.

The not-so-logical choice is playing Teddy Purcell on that line instead of Yakupov. Sure, he's experienced but he's not very good, and he's very slow, too. Couple that with the fact that Yakupov is now going to play with Anton Lander, who has absolutely no offensive capabilities and is a strictly defensive centre, and it won't shock me whatsoever if Yakupov struggles this season.

Still EDM has two quality C and Yak still gets the shaft. And maybe the line isnt money but it can work, or at the very least put Yak on the right side. I dont know, If im him as soon as my RFA is up im out faster than you can say Dougie Hamilton.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Still EDM has two quality C and Yak still gets the shaft. And maybe the line isnt money but it can work, or at the very least put Yak on the right side. I dont know, If im him as soon as my RFA is up im out faster than you can say Dougie Hamilton.

The thing is Yak really likes Edmonton. He's even moved his entire family over here. He loves the people, loves the city, loves being an Oiler. I don't think he wants to leave.

What the Oilers should have done was retain Derek Roy and play him between Draisiatl and Yakupov, and then play Lander on the 4th line between Hendricks and Klinkhammer. Why on earth they went after Mark Letestu I don't know, but it shouldn't have happened.

Yak was playing the best hockey since his rookie campaign with an actual veteran NHL-caliber centre, and the Oilers' management decided not to bring him back. Even though Lowe/MacT/Howson aren't in charge of things anymore, that was a move that reminded me of something they'd do.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Neither guy is a NHLer, but IMO Elliott would be more in demand here.

I think people underestimate how small Hishon is. In that Calgary game last March, he looked every bit as tiny as Gaudreau (with about half the skill). He is a very small hockey player. He simply doesn't have the skill to make up for the size, hence he's simply not a NHL player, and I seriously doubt anyone will pick him up off waivers. Especially considering his concussion history (though I think teams wouldn't really have to go that far to reject picking him up). The only reason some other team would do so, would be to add depth to their AHL team. And that sort of depth isn't terribly hard to find.

Elliott was NHL garbage also, but he at least has a NHL body.

Interesting observation being shared on Hishon. It suggests, the injury wouldn't have mattered. I've seen several "what might have been" comments in contrast where people essentially are blaming the injury.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Interesting observation being shared on Hishon. It suggests, the injury wouldn't have mattered. I've seen several "what might have been" comments in contrast where people essentially are blaming the injury.

Hishon was dynamite before the injury. He had plenty of skill.
Way better than for example Bleackley offensively and as a prospect judging from what I remember.

But it was always a bit questionable how he would translate to the NHL.
He looked like an absolute steal at #17 before his injury,though.
But two lost years in the most critical stage of development are two lost years...

So yeah. I am not happy with many comments on Hish on here.
I mean he had 86 points in 50 games and was the absolute catalyst of his team that played in the Memorial Cup.

McNabb really screwed up his career. That hit was dirty as hell.

Very sad that it turned out that way with Hishon. Hope he can somehow compensate those two lost years and carve out a role in the NHL (probably with another team).

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
The thing is Yak really likes Edmonton. He's even moved his entire family over here. He loves the people, loves the city, loves being an Oiler. I don't think he wants to leave.

What the Oilers should have done was retain Derek Roy and play him between Draisiatl and Yakupov, and then play Lander on the 4th line between Hendricks and Klinkhammer. Why on earth they went after Mark Letestu I don't know, but it shouldn't have happened.

Yak was playing the best hockey since his rookie campaign with an actual veteran NHL-caliber centre, and the Oilers' management decided not to bring him back. Even though Lowe/MacT/Howson aren't in charge of things anymore, that was a move that reminded me of something they'd do.

Oh thats nice I didnt know that. But at some point as much as he loves it there he needs to be on the offensive about his numbers for the sake of his career. Cause I dont know how much the new Oil mgmt is that faithful to him since he wasnt their pick. We know how that works, we are kinda seeing that with Bleaks. The org wont hesitate for a sec. if say next year they end up with their version of a Rantanen that Chia really loves and looks at his lineup...hmm who doesnt fit anymore...oh that happy freak there.
If Yaks can be pretty darn good with a sub quality C like Roy imagine him with Mack or Dutchy or Greg

Dont flame me guys im not advocating we get him or try but crazier things have happened. Connolly looks pretty good in BOS and went for a couple 2nds for a guy that was 14th overall or something.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd be advocating getting him. I think he'd be absolutely perfect alongside Duchene and Iginla, even as a LW even though he's a RW. He has a canon shot, he can keep up to Duchene, he doesn't mind going to the gritty areas in the corner and he enjoys the physical part of the game. But it won't happen because I don't think it's realistic, nor do I think the Oilers will give up on him the same way Boston did Connolly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Colin Smith put up over 100 points in the WHL. Just saying. He also didn't miss a game for four years.

Colin Smith did that in his 5th season in the WHL. Hishon put up 81 points in 65 games in his 2nd season, and then was putting up 87 points in 50 games in his 4th season. Joey was far and away the better junior player

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The only way I could see them giving up Yak for something like a first or prospect would be if the team took ference or nikitin back. And with Stuart, the avs cannot do that. I would definitely be all aboard the Yak train though, especially with that contract.

Radulov Duchene Yak, Landeskog Mack Rantanen... sign me up!

Edit: Looking further into it, would never work but something like siemens + hishon + pick for yak and nikitin I would do, it is just 1 year of a bad contract

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It wasn't his 5th season, was his 4th. Bourke also scored 85 his last year.

4th full season, he had a cup of coffee there in 08-09 but that doesn't really count so yes 4th season. Doesn't change the fact that in comparison with Hishon in his 2nd season, Smith had 50 points in 72 games compared to Joey's 81 in 65 games. Bourke's 2nd season he had 56 in 71 games.

Those two players were good in junior, but Hishon was undoubtedly better. There's a reason he was a 1st round pick.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yak pretty much has to force himself out. it will be like the Hamilton situation. Where they trade him for a mid 1st and draft someone that fits into what they are trying to do there now. That could happen for the Avs and I wouldnt hate it. 15th or 16th, 17th for Yak, Id do it. 9th 10th, um no.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Colin Smith put up over 100 points in the WHL. Just saying. He also didn't miss a game for four years.

Absolutely not comparable. Hish was 10x the junior player that Smith was. (hyperbole but still). You generally should not really look at the last years of most prospects. They are more deceiving then anything. If a guy can't even produce in his last year of eligibility, he probably won't do anything in the NHL at all. But a good last year is nothing to get all that excited about IMO if you weren't hot on a prospect before.

You weren't around back then but I think it is safe to say that Hishon was held in way higher regard than e.g. Bleackley ever was (at least so far).

I am not sure but IIRC the consensus was that Hish is really something special and that he would fit right into the core of Duchene / ROR.

In hindsight he had always a mountain to climb because he was smaller than most thought but he still had special talent.

Annointing him to be a scrub or someone comparable to Smith to me sounds like a cruel joke played by Mr. McNabb.

Just shows you how much things in the NHL change and what a gamble most prospects are.

Odds (or better expectations) a few years back were that Elliott/Hishon would be integral parts of our core by now and it wasn't as sad as it looks now...

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hodgson was a monster in juniors. So was Taylor Beck. Francois Bouchard was an absolutely amazing player in the Q (up there with one of the best of the past 15 years in the Q) Being good in juniors doesn't equate to being good in the NHL. They require different skill sets.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Obviously I get that there's a difference between a first rounder and a seventh rounder. Even if Hishon was taken too early or not I'm sure he was the better junior player. I'm just saying there isn't untapped skill that's just suddenly going to come out. He's no better than Colin Smith (who certainly isn't a scrub) today and I stand by that. Bleackley's game is a lot more than scoring.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Hodgson was a monster in juniors. So was Taylor Beck. Francois Bouchard was an absolutely amazing player in the Q (up there with one of the best of the past 15 years in the Q) Being good in juniors doesn't equate to being good in the NHL. They require different skill sets.

Of course it does.

And Hish probably would have always had a hard time translating to the NHL.

But I take a bit of offense to people stating that Hish was just a junior star and nothing more. A Pracey failure.

I think that is very unfair. If you knock McDavid out with a terrible concussion for two straight years right now, I highly doubt that he will just turn into Crosby 2.0 when he comes back. He got screwed hard by that concussion. 2 years out of hockey is crazy at that age. Doubt that many would have come back from that. Certainly not with his physical limitations.

@ TV: Yeah absolutely. And I don't doubt that. 2 years with almost no hockey to go with a terrible concussion in the most critical time of the development does that to you. Add his size disadvantage and he probably won't amount too much.

I still maintain that Hish to me was a better prospect back then than Bleackley is right now.

Obviously it did not work out for obvious reasons. And we never will know if he could have become Tyler Ennis or if he would have simply not translated at all.
But the skill IMO back then to make it was there and it is a damn shame that he couldn't really show us if he had what it takes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad