Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It wouldn't be sending Bigras to the AHL as a means to make room on the roster for Versteeg, it would be $ savings.

On top of that, let's look at the Defense right now:

EJ
Barrie
Beauchemin
Zadorov
Tyutin
Wiercioch
Gelinas
Bigras
Siemens (possibly)

That's 8 or 9 players that COULD see time in the NHL this upcoming season (but I believe Siemens is a stretch). We don't know if Bednar will want to roll with 8D on the active roster, and if he wants to go with 7D do we really want Bigras up if he hasn't solidified a hold on a roster spot? If he's going to be a rotational healthy scratch, wouldn't it be better to send him down so he can play consistent minutes in SA?

You send Grimaldi, Bigras, and Compher to the AHL (and again, with Compher it's more about getting him acclimated to the Pro game, I have no doubt he'll be a solid player for us for a long time), you roll with 7D (EJ, Barrie, Beauch, Z, Tyutin, Gelinas, and Wiercioch), and the Avs can sign Versteeg to a 1 year 2M contract and still have ~400k in cap space left (that banks and grows every day once the season starts) and you have Martinsen as the 13th Forward.

It's doable, and like I said, certainly an argument can be made for Bigras spending time in the AHL if he's going to be a rotational healthy scratch.

I know. I was wondering how we would save money by sending him down. I don't see us going with just 22 players. I'll believe that's an option when it happens.

Why are we assuming Bigras will be a healthy scratch? Yes, we have a lot of bodies who could play at this level (I would even add Stanton to that list), but Bigras could also end up being our 4th best Dman.

Yeah I'm not feeling the Versteeg love that everyone else seems to have. I'd be fine with them signing him to a cheap one year deal but I'm not all like "wut Versteeg is available? PICK UP THE PHONE JOE". It's a prime case of being bored late in the offseason.

It's a prime case of us needing another top9 forward and him easily being the best available now.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I know. I was wondering how we would save money by sending him down. I don't see us going with just 22 players. I'll believe that's an option when it happens.

Why are we assuming Bigras will be a healthy scratch? Yes, we have a lot of bodies who could play at this level (I would even add Stanton to that list), but Bigras could also end up being our 4th best Dman.

It's a prime case of us needing another top9 forward and him easily being the best available now.

While I like Bigras, I'm not sure he's a slam dunk to even be the #6 out of camp. He's got potential, absolutely, but I feel that Wiercioch and Tyutin will get their looks, and Gelinas too. Add in a new coach and we have no idea what to expect.

The only thing that looks set on the Defense right now is EJ on the top pairing, besides that we don't know if Barrie will be up there, or if they'll go back with Beauch, etc. To dig deeper, I'd say that the defensemen we can safely assume as being on the active roster to start the year would be: EJ, Barrie, Beauchemin, Zadorov, and Tyutin. I included Tyutin because I could've swore I've seen talk that Tyutin was brought in to "mentor" Z, and be paired with him. If we leave him as a "Safe name" on the list, that's 1 starting spot left for Bigras, Gelinas, and Wiercioch (and maybe even Siemens). If Bigras is going to be some sort of rotational scratch for that 6th spot (because I believe Wiercioch and Gelinas are going to get their shots, as sort of "reclamation projects"), then the question becomes "Isn't it better for Bigras to be playing way more minutes in SA, and then come up later in the season when injuries and/or poor play happens?"

At any point, bringing in Versteeg on a maximum of 2M CAN work, but it remains to be seen if the Avs even look his way (I think he'd help provide insulation to our young F's we will have up in the Top-9).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So I just took some time to analyze Versteeg's numbers. Disregard my last post, I'm completely onboard lol.

He's not going to make or break this team but if we need one more player we may as well make it a guy who can hold possession while producing at a decent rate. He's proven he can play with top players too. Give him the rest of our cap space and stick Iggy on the 4th line.

While I like Bigras, I'm not sure he's a slam dunk to even be the #6 out of camp. He's got potential, absolutely, but I feel that Wiercioch and Tyutin will get their looks, and Gelinas too. Add in a new coach and we have no idea what to expect.

The only thing that looks set on the Defense right now is EJ on the top pairing, besides that we don't know if Barrie will be up there, or if they'll go back with Beauch, etc. To dig deeper, I'd say that the defensemen we can safely assume as being on the active roster to start the year would be: EJ, Barrie, Beauchemin, Zadorov, and Tyutin. I included Tyutin because I could've swore I've seen talk that Tyutin was brought in to "mentor" Z, and be paired with him. If we leave him as a "Safe name" on the list, that's 1 starting spot left for Bigras, Gelinas, and Wiercioch (and maybe even Siemens). If Bigras is going to be some sort of rotational scratch for that 6th spot (because I believe Wiercioch and Gelinas are going to get their shots, as sort of "reclamation projects"), then the question becomes "Isn't it better for Bigras to be playing way more minutes in SA, and then come up later in the season when injuries and/or poor play happens?"

At any point, bringing in Versteeg on a maximum of 2M CAN work, but it remains to be seen if the Avs even look his way (I think he'd help provide insulation to our young F's we will have up in the Top-9).

I don't really disagree with anything you are saying, but I just don't want him locked out due to the money game. Which is most likely what would happen if we maxed out the cap going after a guy like Versteeg.

This year for me is a development year, as we have a lot of players who need experience. I'm not wasting the experience and minutes on Versteeg, and I personally don't really want to waste it on Weirdo or Gelinas either, but that's because I have pretty much zero faith in either one of them doing anything. In saying that, I'm ok with Bigras proving he is one of the 6 best defenders on that list.

They went the wrong route in spending money for being a competitive team this year, at what point is it pointless to add another middle sixer based on the direction they took?

If we're competitive it needs to be from player growth, and new systems moving the team in the right direction.

But, I am also one of the people who picked Bigras as the player to impress in camp. I still believe he is more ready for the NHL than Zadorov in certain aspects of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad