Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Holden is gonna be promoted to top pair next year, i really hope the #1 overall pick is a good one in next year's draft

I am a pretty big Patrick fan, but even a top 5 selection of Foote would make me happy.

Billington was going around to the SA STH talking up Roman Will. They thought Everberg and Rendulic were their best prospects a year ago. There's a lot that goes into my opinion of these things.

Players have choices and it is a 2 way street, those players (especially since Europeans tend to have more options) have to want to come back as well. They could still think highly of all 3, but are not willing to guarantee them NHL spots (or AHL in Will's case). Everberg and Rendulic both made it clear they didn't want to return to the AHL, and I can't blame them (especially with the disaster it was). I also don't blame the Avs to not giving them NHL spots next season. If I was the Avs I would have offered Everberg a deal with an out clause in case he didn't make the team.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
We need more picks to have elite players in the pipeline. That's just the cold reality of it.

Meloche is a MUCH better prospect than Geertsen btw.

Still calling opening night D as

Holden-Johnson
Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-Gelinas/Stuart

Prove me otherwise, Avs.

Holden on first pairing? Ugh, I might as well jump off a high-rise building than see that. Thanks a lot TV!:cry:

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I must be failing to understand what you mean... you want to gather picks, but to get elite players, the Avs have to have good pieces to part with and get the high picks. Even teams that have multiple first round picks very rarely get elite players with both picks (many are lucky to get one).

To get elite players, typically teams have to be towards the very top of the draft. If you want to build an elite prospect pool, you have to keep players down (something the Avs typically haven't done... this year they kept them down when they normally wouldn't have). Those are two different things. The Avs could keep Rantanen and Bigras in the AHL next year and the prospect pool would look better on paper, but what point does that really serve?

Some also think that trading a 3rd round pick means the Avs don't care about prospects or the future. There is middle ground here and things don't have to be so black and white when it comes to building a team.

I agree man, beating a dead horse always gets old.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
What's the consensus opinion on Barrie's availability via trade? Whether or not he's available will certainly impact Vatanen's value (which is why I'm curious).

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What's the consensus opinion on Barrie's availability via trade? Whether or not he's available will certainly impact Vatanen's value (which is why I'm curious).

In terms of news, we've heard nothing. I think most of us really want to keep him, but 1) what he wants, and 2) whether Roy and Sakic are going to stick to their cap structure at all costs if he wants more than what they think he is worth will determine his availability. If he wants 6+ and sticks to that, I think he will quite likely be traded, even if I would happily pay him that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They probably dont want to let him go or don't even have to do it this year. If he's available it will probably be very quietly. With so many variables I don't think it would effect someone like Vatanen's value.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
You know what kinda sucks about losing Barrie (while im not that crazy about him) is that he's probably going to go to a team with a better support system and he ends up being a ppg D man..and we look like bozos..again...even though i liked the RoR trade

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Barrie shouldn't be traded but if they feel they can't sign him because he wants too much or they're too cheap, I think you do it this offseason. Don't delay it just because you can, like with O'Reilly. A Barrie trade will likely be a package deal so I'd prefer those pieces coming in ASAP. This team doesn't look like it'll be contending any time soon but waiting another two years to trade Barrie and getting futures then would just push this even further down the road. Get those young players/prospects/picks now so they'll be ready to go in 2-3 years.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I am a pretty big Patrick fan, but even a top 5 selection of Foote would make me happy.

Players have choices and it is a 2 way street, those players (especially since Europeans tend to have more options) have to want to come back as well. They could still think highly of all 3, but are not willing to guarantee them NHL spots (or AHL in Will's case). Everberg and Rendulic both made it clear they didn't want to return to the AHL, and I can't blame them (especially with the disaster it was). I also don't blame the Avs to not giving them NHL spots next season. If I was the Avs I would have offered Everberg a deal with an out clause in case he didn't make the team.

I think it's more the idea that they were not part of the select few who got the development treatment.

I mean our pipeline isn't empty and it's better than what it was under the last regime( not exactly hard to beat to be fair) but it still doesn't scream elite NHL like a lot of other teams have. But as I said before our drafting has been trending in the right direction and that should help us a lot in the future.

Who does scream "elite NHL"?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
My opinion, The idea of trading Barrie is directly correlated to weather or not you think Dater was full of crap about the trading a core player thing.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
We need a bold predictions draft/offseason thread

- Varly is traded at the draft
- Bleackley doesn't get drafted
- Holden and Mitchell are traded for.....wait for it.....filler for SA! and everyone will gripe they didn't get draft picks

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You know what kinda sucks about losing Barrie (while im not that crazy about him) is that he's probably going to go to a team with a better support system and he ends up being a ppg D man..and we look like bozos..again...even though i liked the RoR trade

That is true. Especially if he goes out East. Same thing will happen if they move Duchene.

The previous regime just did not build this team properly. It's too reliant on somewhat one dimensional players. It's like they just thought " ok we got these skill guys, we're good" and didn't bother to insulate them with bigger players, or better defensive players to allow the skill guys to do their thing and be confident.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
That is true. Especially if he goes out East. Same thing will happen if they move Duchene.

The previous regime just did not build this team properly. It's too reliant on somewhat one dimensional players. It's like they just thought " ok we got these skill guys, we're good" and didn't bother to insulate them with bigger players, or better defensive players to allow the skill guys to do their thing and be confident.

You mean like with EJ.
"Yes we got our guy"
"who's he playing with?"
".....We got Him! Woohoo..Spring Break!!"

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You mean like with EJ.
"Yes we got our guy"
"who's he playing with?"
".....We got Him! Woohoo..Spring Break!!"

Exactly.

TB and Dallas both had the same problem the Avs did, but made multiple additions from outside the organization to fix it, and stabilize their team.

Same with Duchene. They never identified the right wingers for him to play with that could stabilize his line. They brought in Mueller, Flash, and PAP who he clicked with, but they were even more one dimensional and soft than he is. Inevitably he just ends up getting all the attention on his line, and his line mates can't help him enough on a consistent basis when thy face tight checking, so he tries to do it all himself and eventually gets frustrated and goes in a slump.

It's not easy to make multiple additions, but you have to find a way to do it. Either that or bring in multi dimensional players through the draft, but they had the same tunnel vision kind of approach to that.

I think the previous regime was pretty good at identifying skill, they just weren't good at identifying chemistry in team building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln