Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For me personally this team is already filled with a bunch of players who don't think the game at a high level. Adding Yakupov is going in the opposite direction of where this team should be building towards.

I understand that idea, but I don't agree with the idea that the Avs lacking of bunch of IQ upfront. They could use more, but Yak isn't replacing a high IQ player up front... he'd be replacing Comeau/Iggy/Marty in the top 9. Besides... the Avs wouldn't be limited on just bringing in Yakupov. For a low cost, he can potentially bring a decent reward and be cheap on the cap. If he isn't right for the team, the team can cut bait in short order. I just don't see much risk in a Yakupov deal for a cheap price.

Couldnt they still sign Compher ? he just cant play for them or the Rampage this year right? I thought ELC didnt count against the contract limit

He can be signed for next year and get a try-out with the Rampage to finish. ELCs don't count when they slide (and the NHL is certain that they can't), Compher is too old for it to slide now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I understand that idea, but I don't agree with the idea that the Avs lacking of bunch of IQ upfront. They could use more, but Yak isn't replacing a high IQ player up front... he'd be replacing Comeau/Iggy/Marty in the top 9. Besides... the Avs wouldn't be limited on just bringing in Yakupov. For a low cost, he can potentially bring a decent reward and be cheap on the cap. If he isn't right for the team, the team can cut bait in short order. I just don't see much risk in a Yakupov deal for a cheap price.

The only players on this team currently up front who have a high hockey IQ are Landeskog, Soderberg, Grigorenko, and Boedker. Duchene and MacKinnon are average-to-low (MacK on the lower end), and the rest are pretty "meh". I'd rather add higher hockey IQ players, not go one in, one out with Yakupov replacing Comeau/Iginla/Martinsen.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Id think we'd be supremely disappointed with Yak.
That kid needs to be with a Malkin, Kane, Backstrom, whatever of that ilk. We dont have the support system for Yak.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only players on this team currently up front who have a high hockey IQ are Landeskog, Soderberg, Grigorenko, and Boedker. Duchene and MacKinnon are average-to-low (MacK on the lower end), and the rest are pretty "meh". I'd rather add higher hockey IQ players, not go one in, one out with Yakupov replacing Comeau/Iginla/Martinsen.

They will be adding some in Compher (maybe not next season, but soon) and Rantanen in addition to who they have, both are very smart hockey players. People also rip MacK too much in that area IMO. The Avs could use more smarts, but it isn't an area where I'd say they are extremely lacking in either.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I think Yak would actually fit in pretty well with this group and would definitely get him if he could be acquired on the cheap (Holden and a 3rd? - we can convince the Oilers Holden is decent, right? Look at the minutes he plays!).

I don't think he needs a superstar center to succeed - he does need to play his natural position on the right wing, but we should be able to accommodate that in a top 6 role pretty easily.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Avs seem to make it a point to draft smart players too, I'm not really worried about it. I'd take a chance on Yak, the kid has talent he just needs the opportunity and someone to work with him. My concern would be how does he fit in the lineup with adding more kids like Rantanen, still grooming Grigo, still getting our proper top 6 winger.

So in 30 thoughts seems like a "pro season" might not count for expansion if the player is 18 or 19, like Rantanen. So then that makes sense how the ELC factored into expansion protection.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Boedker-Duchene-Yakupov
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Grigorenko-Soderberg-Matthias
Comeau-Mitchell-Iginla
McCleod

That's an intriguing lineup. Not sure about where Grigs exactly fits in, but a nice looking top 6 if it clicked.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They will be adding some in Compher (maybe not next season, but soon) and Rantanen in addition to who they have, both are very smart hockey players. People also rip MacK too much in that area IMO. The Avs could use more smarts, but it isn't an area where I'd say they are extremely lacking in either.

We aren't going to agree on the matter. I think this is a team that is lacking high hockey IQ players and that's a huge reason why this team plays the way it does. Our best defensemen and arguably two best forwards are not high hockey IQ players, I'd rather surround them with a bunch of players who are.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So in 30 thoughts seems like a "pro season" might not count for expansion if the player is 18 or 19, like Rantanen. So then that makes sense how the ELC factored into expansion protection.

The rules are going to be tweaked so much between now and the expansion draft... I think they will end up coming up with something that basically means if a player is on an ELC the following year, then they are exempt.

We aren't going to agree on the matter. I think this is a team that is lacking high hockey IQ players and that's a huge reason why this team plays the way it does. Our best defensemen and arguably two best forwards are not high hockey IQ players, I'd rather surround them with a bunch of players who are.

I'd just say the Avs are trending towards doing that. Rantanen, Compher, and Beaudin coming up. Boedker, Grigo, and Soda were all brought in within the last season. Exclusively focusing on IQ could leave the team without pure talent, focusing on talent could leave the team lacking in IQ. 2 of the top 3 defensive prospects are known for their IQ (Bigras and Meloche).

The moves are not made in a vacuum, and adding Yakupov wouldn't exclude them from adding other players to fill in some gaps. I'm actually expecting a move for high IQ player this summer to compliment the top 9, but that doesn't mean they can't take a risk on a pure talent player.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Boedker-Duchene-Yakupov
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Grigorenko-Soderberg-Matthias
Comeau-Mitchell-Iginla
McCleod

That's an intriguing lineup. Not sure about where Grigs exactly fits in, but a nice looking top 6 if it clicked.

Yak isnt playing over Cody.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The guy in Tampa is still the one to go after if we're looking at wingers to add.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm certain they will take a run at him this summer.

As they should. He doesn't have the size or defensive ability we might want next to MacKinnon/Duchene but he has the offensive skill and elite hockey sense to play with those two. I don't know if chemistry from junior translates to the NHL but him and MacKinnon knowing each other so well on/off the ice certainly can't hurt. Just need a physical and defensively responsible winger on the other side.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The guy in Tampa is still the one to go after if we're looking at wingers to add.

I'm certain they will take a run at him this summer.

As they should. He doesn't have the size or defensive ability we might want next to MacKinnon/Duchene but he has the offensive skill and elite hockey sense to play with those two. I don't know if chemistry from junior translates to the NHL but him and MacKinnon knowing each other so well on/off the ice certainly can't hurt. Just need a physical and defensively responsible winger on the other side.

I've posted here for over 10 years now, and I'm struggling to recall any time during that period that I've made any statement similar to the one I'm about to make:

I'll be very surprised if the Avs DO NOT trade for Drouin in the summer. I have my reasons for believing this, and I'm confident in my reasoning as well.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Part of me even believes that unless it's Top-5, it will be involved in a trade for him...

Yeah at this point Stevie would like a mid first..maybe a small cherry on top from a team willing to pay extra thats in that range but I wouldnt fault a team to pay a 6th or 7th overall for Drouin...if he is as good as everyone says you really cant go wrong with that deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If I had to guess we will see a the 12-15th pick plus any prospect not named Bigras, Rantanen, or Zadorov for Drouin + 2nd/3rd pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know i was just being doofy. I do wonder how much of what they'd like to do fwd wise will depend on how likely they are to bring back Boedker.

Or Radulov really.... I see one big salary and depending on that, every thing else falling in. Say Rads for $6m... then getting Drouin and have Rantanen up because of their cheap cap hits (894k).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad