Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've always been fairly unclear on the college rules - how do guys this talented end up foregoing the draft altogether?

They don't forgo it, they were passed over three times. Most of these guys are late bloomers, who only became desirable after their draft eligibility passed. That's why it's a bit of fools gold, just like mining the CHL overager pool but it's worth a look too.

If they really like this guy fine, burning a year of the ELC maybe isn't the worst thing in the world either. If he sucks the contract is over sooner, if he's good it doesn't count as an accrued year to FA. But that would cost some real Kroenke bucks.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They don't forgo it, they were passed over three times. Most of these guys are late bloomers, who only became desirable after their draft eligibility passed. That's why it's a bit of fools gold, just like mining the CHL overager pool but it's worth a look too.

If they really like this guy fine, burning a year of the ELC maybe isn't the worst thing in the world either. If he sucks the contract is over sooner, if he's good it doesn't count as an accrued year to FA. But that would cost some real Kroenke bucks.

An ELC year is pretty small potatoes for Kroenke. Especially considering they're paying Iginla a bunch of money to play for LA in exchange for a 4th that's going to disappear on July 1st. If they balk at a college free agent, I think that's probably not going to be the reason.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
You're asking for 3 of Arizona's top prospects, all of whom are currently on their NHL roster and all of whom are under the age of 21, while also asking for a potential top-3 pick in this year's draft, for Matt Duchene.

I love Matt Duchene, but he's not going to return that absurd haul. Mikhail Grigorenko sucks and has no value. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go unqualified this summer (and I really hope it happens, too).

Just a very poor trade for Arizona.

Define top prospects? They have guys like Strome, Keller, Fishier, Dvorak, Deangelo and Perlini that I would put ahead of all three of those players as well as a few others that are around what they are. Arizona has no #1 centre and doesnt have anyone to ease the likes of Keller and Strome. But I don't watch enough Az games so if the overall feeling as we're robbing them I'll drop it :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
An ELC year is pretty small potatoes for Kroenke. Especially considering they're paying Iginla a bunch of money to play for LA in exchange for a 4th that's going to disappear on July 1st. If they balk at a college free agent, I think that's probably not going to be the reason.

Why don't they burn ELC years to close deals then? It's really just a matter of money is what it comes down to. Or they just do it as a matter of principle? I don't think a year if signing bonus is a lot to the Kroenkes either but yet they won't sign prospects until the next league year begins on March 1 to prevent giving out bonuses up front.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
From Friedman's 30 thoughts today:

1. Initially, the plan was to give Las Vegas 48 hours with the protected list before the expansion draft. That is being increased to 72. At the GM meetings, the Golden Knights’ George McPhee let everyone know that once the lists are handed to him, it’s an auction for any unprotected player another team might want. This has outstanding potential.

That could get quite interesting.

also...

Decision-time looms for St. Lawrence defenceman Gavin Bayreuther, who led his team with 29 points in 30 games. It’s believed Dallas was the most aggressive pursuer, with Buffalo and Colorado lurking. Another 63-point player is five-foot-six Tyler Kelleher, who is very skilled. He’s rumoured to be New Jersey-bound, and it’s not a surprise the Devils are the only NHL team following him on Twitter.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
From Friedman's 30 thoughts today:

That could get quite interesting.

also...

For the 1st time in a long time, I'm actually happy to be an Avs fan. We get to watch the rest of the fans out there freak out about who they will lose, and we get to get rid of someone.

And yeah, June, as far as trade go, is going to be a massive month. It's going to be fun considering the last year of near silence.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
For the 1st time in a long time, I'm actually happy to be an Avs fan. We get to watch the rest of the fans out there freak out about who they will lose, and we get to get rid of someone.

And yeah, June, as far as trade go, is going to be a massive month. It's going to be fun considering the last year of near silence.

I bet LV looks at our unprotected list and tries to opt out. "So can we just umm...just skip over Colorado entirely, Gary? I mean, we don't 'have' to take one of their guys, right?"

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I expect Vegas to take whoever is exposed between Nieto and Comeau (I know the rants that will come after even suggesting Comeau might be protected... FTR I wouldn't do that, but I think the Avs will consider it).

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I expect Vegas to take whoever is exposed between Nieto and Comeau (I know the rants that will come after even suggesting Comeau might be protected... FTR I wouldn't do that, but I think the Avs will consider it).

If they protect Comeau over Nieto I'm going to tweet the Comeau breakaway video to them every day until they block me.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Ugh...that would be such a Sakic move to protect Comeau over Nieto. I mean, I get that we all overreact in terms of how good Nieto actually is simply because we are so devoid of decent hockey players but even if FB doesn't waive his NMC and screws us into protecting 4+4...

Forwards: MacK, Duchene, Landy, Nieto
Defenders: EJ, Barrie, Z, FB (!!!)
Goalies: Whichever of Varlamov or Pickard.

The best player we could lose is the other goalie or Soda who clearly isn't working out under Bednar and even if he rebounds some and Bednar is gone, is making $4.75 million and well on the wrong side of 30. They could take Ghetto or Barberio I guess but I'd rather keep Nieto than them. Taking anybody else on our actual NHL roster off our hands is a complete blessing.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The good news it that we'll never know who they protect so we wont have to listen to each other complain all summer long. The only thing we'll know for certain is 1 player they didn't protect.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
The good news it that we'll never know who they protect so we wont have to listen to each other complain all summer long. The only thing we'll know for certain is 1 player they didn't protect.

We'll know when it turns out Sakic doesn't understand the rules and leaves Zadorov exposed assuming that because he's injured he is not eligible for the expansion draft.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There's no way they won't be at least strong leaks of who was unprotected

I really really think this will be kept private and wont get out. I know people think the NHL not releasing this is simply an attack on the fans but this is major for personnel and relationships within a team. Goaltender duos in particular. Going into training camp next year Sakic and Co DO NOT want Pickard/Varlamov knowing which one of the two were left to be taken for free.

Teams are going to do everything in their power to prevent this information from going public and I think they'll be pretty successful in doing that. I think the only information which will leak are players who agreed to waive their NMC or internal "don't pick this guy" trades.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I completely expect the Avs to protect Comeau

Won't happen, they'd get ridiculed by the media for not protecting a younger player and Sakic isn't going to want to deal with that. Even our **** poor media will jump on them for that.

I don't know how you can come out publicly and state you are looking to get younger, more skilled and faster and then go ahead and protect a 31 year old who is slowing down and has only produced 17pts, over Nieto (24 year old), Ghetto (23 year old), or even Grigorenko (22 year old). I fully expect one of those 3 guys protected with MacK, Landy, and Duchene. My guess is they protect Ghetto as they have him playing top 6 at the moment.

The best options they'll expose are Soderberg, Comeau, Colborne, probably Grigorenko and Nieto. And then on defense Barberio, Wiercioch, Goloubef. And obviously one of Picks or Varly my guess is they expose Picks as Varly is just the better player.

My opinion is Vegas probably takes one of Soderberg or Comeau to help get to the cap. Don't see them taking one of our goalies as there will be better options like Fleury or Howard. My dark horse pick for Vegas is Colborne. Could easily see them taking a flyer on a youngish guy that has posted 40+pts before, banking on the fact he is just having a bad season.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Won't happen, they'd get ridiculed by the media for not protecting a younger player and Sakic isn't going to want to deal with that. Even our **** poor media will jump on them for that.

I don't know how you can come out publicly and state you are looking to get younger, more skilled and faster and then go ahead and protect a 31 year old who is slowing down and has only produced 17pts, over Nieto (24 year old), Ghetto (23 year old), or even Grigorenko (22 year old). I fully expect one of those 3 guys protected with MacK, Landy, and Duchene. My guess is they protect Ghetto as they have him playing top 6 at the moment.

omg we should make this a unit and nickname it the GO line

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I really really think this will be kept private and wont get out. I know people think the NHL not releasing this is simply an attack on the fans but this is major for personnel and relationships within a team. Goaltender duos in particular. Going into training camp next year Sakic and Co DO NOT want Pickard/Varlamov knowing which one of the two were left to be taken for free.

Teams are going to do everything in their power to prevent this information from going public and I think they'll be pretty successful in doing that. I think the only information which will leak are players who agreed to waive their NMC or internal "don't pick this guy" trades.

Completely agree here.

We may find out if certain players (or their agents) say they've been exposed, asked to be exposed, etc but I don't think full lists will come out. Not even sure the NMCs will be released by the team side.

While it kills a ton of the projection/argument stuff it does add a bit of intrigue if they really do televise the draft with a bit of suspense from pick to pick. Can't imagine they would let players find out first via live TV though. Seems a bit cold even for the NHL.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
While it kills a ton of the projection/argument stuff it does add a bit of intrigue if they really do televise the draft with a bit of suspense from pick to pick. Can't imagine they would let players find out first via live TV though. Seems a bit cold even for the NHL.

I'm expecting a World Cup team announcement show where the team leaks slightly beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad