Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Unless Calgary loses 2+ of their D for the season... they are not missing the playoffs. They are just stacked there.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
And still could be a 16-20 pick. Nothing to sneeze at.

*grumble* i guess ...lol
I do like the idea of a top prospect D with our eventual bttm 5 pick and a couple fwds in that range (from their picks)
Maybe just maybe we can get their 2nd as well
All of those picks would be quite the shot in the prospect arm going fwd

id still want a warm body that can play by camp though, Toews? Bellows?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Perhaps but one team made the playoffs and got better the other is going to get Duchene and they missed by a point or something and they didn't have JT for their final 3 games or something. Very likely they both make it.

And still could be a 16-20 pick. Nothing to sneeze at.

Especially in next years draft.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what we're talking about, but if we had gotten CGY + NYI 1st round picks, and CGY's 2nd round pick next year for Duchene(Along with other pieces) we'd be setup for an franchise changing draft next season potentially.

Avs 1st would be Top 5.
NYI 1st would probably be in the 16-20 range.
CGY 1st would also probably be in the 16-20 range.
Our 2nd would be #32, 33, or 34 almost definitely.
CGY 2nd would likely be ~50-55 range.

So we'd be looking at 5 picks in the first 55 picks of next years draft which is expected to be an extremely deep and strong draft, the kind of draft that could change this franchises outlook completely. That's also not including any other picks we may get from other deadline moves.

With those kind of picks the Avs would have had massive flexibility in next years draft. The ability to push for a move up if they had a guy they really wanted at a spot, or to easily move down and add even more picks at a spot while still acquiring high level talent with other picks. Or, to use those picks as currency and acquire good players for cheap from other teams due to cap or other issues.

It's all for not now unfortunately as the Avs didn't pull the trigger on the Hamonic offer. Which is a shame because I think even regardless of the prospect involved from NYI, if we had gotten 2 1st's and 2 2nd's for Duchene that would have been a great haul IMO.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Perhaps but one team made the playoffs and got better the other is going to get Duchene and they missed by a point or something and they didn't have JT for their final 3 games or something. Very likely they both make it.

New York was a -1 on the year. They are in an extremely deep division. They lost Hamonic and didn't replace him with anyone. They still have a suspect goalie tandem. And it's not like other teams didn't add pieces to improve their roster as well.

Calgary only had 94 points. Their D looks really good, but now they are hanging their host on Smith in goal. I wouldn't have much confidence in that guy. And the West has a lot of good teams. If they make it again it will probably be by the skin of their teeth.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Ok ok you guys convinced me lol

But I cant believe their picks wouldnt be lottery protected, only we are that stupid

If we cant get a Toews or Bellows thrown in we better be getting that CGY 2nd , they still have it right?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They have Hamonic and Giordano. That is a distinct possibility.

My prediction: Flames struggle out of the gate, fire Gulutzan, and bring back...Darryl Sutter.

If they did that... they'd be a lock for the playoffs. That team is good... not Cup good, but good.

They have 3 maybe 4 top pairing defensemen (depending how you rate Hamonic) and they have Stone who is a solid middle pairing guy. 5 top 4D with 3 who are very, very good. They are set on that end of the ice, even with injuries. They need secondary scoring, but Jankowski might be able to help some of that and if Bennett ever takes the next step...

They still have Mike Smith as their goalie and I wouldn't bet my house on any team that's been in and out of the playoffs recently as a guaranteed in.

Smith isn't nearly as bad as people say on the internet, and they are coming from Elliott... The Flames goalies were both .910 sorts last year, Smith has 1 season in his last 6 less than that. For his career he is a .913 goalie. I'm not saying he is great, he isn't... he is average and that is an upgrade on what they had.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Smith isn't nearly as bad as people say on the internet, and they are coming from Elliott... The Flames goalies were both .910 sorts last year, Smith has 1 season in his last 6 less than that. For his career he is a .913 goalie. I'm not saying he is great, he isn't... he is average and that is an upgrade on what they had.

Smith isn't horrible, neither is Elliott, but both failed to prove themselves as legit #1 netminders. Smith just happened to parlay one amazing season into an inexplicably huge contract despite the fact that he's not really shown the consistency nor durability to warrant such a chance.

And of course who works for the Flames now? Don Maloney.

I'm not about to write the Flames off, I actually like the way that team is built way more than I like the Oilers, but I'm not betting on them either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Smith isn't horrible, neither is Elliott, but both failed to prove themselves as legit #1 netminders. Smith just happened to parlay one amazing season into an inexplicably huge contract despite the fact that he's not really shown the consistency nor durability to warrant such a chance.

And of course who works for the Flames now? Don Maloney.

I'm not about to write the Flames off, I actually like the way that team is built way more than I like the Oilers, but I'm not betting on them either.

Smith over Elliott by a long shot to me. They are trading a below average goaltender for an average goaltender. That alone is an improvement. Then they add Hamonic to the mix. They may not be greatly better, but they will be better. While LA and San Jose didn't get a lick better. IMO Calgary is clearly the 3rd best team in the Pacific. They should easily be a playoff team.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Smith over Elliott by a long shot to me. They are trading a below average goaltender for an average goaltender. That alone is an improvement. Then they add Hamonic to the mix. They may not be greatly better, but they will be better. While LA and San Jose didn't get a lick better. IMO Calgary is clearly the 3rd best team in the Pacific. They should easily be a playoff team.

I think they will be, though I still think they are relying on some rather brittle players to do so (Backlund, Hamonic, Giordano, and Smith). I think if they lose two of those three skaters they're in trouble, they lose Smith and they're in REAL trouble.

Also not sold on their coach, which is why I think there's a good chance he's the first guy fired. It's either gonna be him or Alain Vigneault.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Would people do this trade?

Vegas 2018 1st rounder + Shea Theodore for
Matt Duchene & Avs 2018 second rounder

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
God...something Larry Brooks from the NY Post said made me shudder. He said the Rangers are shopping Holden for some help at center. Given how much the Rangers in the past just looooove Avs players, I couldn't help but make a correlation in my head, even though NO mention of Duchene was made whatsoever.

I tell ya what, if any return on Duchene includes Nick goddamn Holden, I will vomit last week's lunch.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
God...something Larry Brooks from the NY Post said made me shudder. He said the Rangers are shopping Holden for some help at center. Given how much the Rangers in the past just looooove Avs players, I couldn't help but make a correlation in my head, even though NO mention of Duchene was made whatsoever.

I tell ya what, if any return on Duchene includes Nick goddamn Holden, I will vomit last week's lunch.

If Rangers would take a dump in Soderberg , I'd go

Duchene + Soderberg for say:
Hayes (or Zibanejad's rights) + Holden + NYR 2018 1st rounder

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Is this a joke?

I freakin hope so.

Soderberg is a "cap dump" the Avs can easily keep around. He's a good player who had three consecutive 45-50 point seasons before last years 4th line mess. That would be a terrible return for Duchene - and you sure don't attach Soderberg to him to bring his value down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad