Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexmandu

Jan 30, 2017
Murrray+PLD+2018 First for Duchene 50% retained+2018 3rd

this would be a awesome deal for both sides I feel the 3 mil we retain they can use to fill the hole on thier roster for Cody Franson or someone comparable

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As much as money does not seem to be something Sakic needs to worry about. I'm surprised they haven't used that as ammunition yet. We're a small market team that has very rich ownership that loved the era of no salary cap. We played well in that pool, so why haven't they figured out how to use it in this era?

That does bother me a bit.. Josh "The salary cap is the NHL salary cap." Joe has all of the tools, but leaves them in the tool box.

If I was going to complain about Sakic, that's one area I'd start with. Hes been fine with the common sense stuff lately, but makes zero effort to step beyond average.

They don't seem to think gathering assets is important. They haven't done it for so many years and in so many situations, it's just not something they try to do and probably don't have any desire to do it.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I've been involved with many negotiations during my life, and when someone is asking for an unreasonable price, it can often mean that they are not that motivated to sell, or at least they do not feel pressure to sell.

I am not saying that is the right approach in this situation, but it is starting to seem that may be the case.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I've been involved with many negotiations during my life, and when someone is asking for an unreasonable price, it can often mean that they are not that motivated to sell, or at least they do not feel pressure to sell.

I am not saying that is the right approach in this situation, but it is starting to seem that may be the case.

Or they know they have screwed up and backed themselves in a corner but are unwilling to admit that and stubbornly believe that someone else will bail them out by paying that unreasonable price they are asking for.

I have a feeling that is what is happening here...

@TV:

Well atleast hfAvs has come around a bit on asset management over the last few years. I remember when people in here were not all that fond of that concept.
So maybe there is some hope that our old boys club will see the light as well some time in the future...

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Or they know they have screwed up and backed themselves in a corner but are unwilling to admit that and stubbornly believe that someone else will bail them out by paying that unreasonable price they are asking for.

I have a feeling that is what is happening here...

@TV:

Well atleast hfAvs has come around a bit on asset management over the last few years. I remember when people in here were not all that fond of that concept.
So maybe there is some hope that our old boys club will see the light as well some time in the future...

Even if it is due to a certain degree of stubbornness, an individual has to have the freedom to act stubbornly (i.e., no pressure, or at least a perceived lack of pressure).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Even if it is due to a certain degree of stubbornness, an individual has to have the freedom to act stubbornly (i.e., no pressure, or at least a perceived lack of pressure).

I do believe that is a big part of this. The Kroenkes have allowed this charade to go on too long.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't think there was any chance Duchene would still be here on July 3rd so each day I'm losing more hope that something will actually happen. All that's left is for CBJ to acquire Kovalchuk and if that happens, I'll just stop checking for updates.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I do believe that is a big part of this. The Kroenkes have allowed this charade to go on too long.

This is offseason is already a success for Josh; he'll be on Cloud 9 for the foreseeable future. For the first time ever, his Nuggets landed a "big fish" in free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't even talked to Sakic since sometime before the draft (that's baseless speculation on my part, but you know what I mean).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They don't seem to think gathering assets is important. They haven't done it for so many years and in so many situations, it's just not something they try to do and probably don't have any desire to do it.

I think if we ever got a GM that had the ability to take a more modern approach, and didn't come from the succession of the previous regime. We might see those things happen.

That's why I got so excited over the idea of some of these young executives they've been after. A highly motivated GM with legit freedom to act could be a god send for this franchise.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Not saying I personally buy this viewpoint but the other side of the viewpoint is that Sakic never said explicitly it was Duchene for sale and how it used to be this core player trade but other names were thrown around all the time even up to last deadline (Landy, Varly, Barrie) but now it's morphed into this Duchene fiasco (they'll say entirely media driven). Now I feel that where there's smoke something has to be going on. But for an org who doesn't feel urgency to get assets then what is the motivation if they feel they have two more years to complete this. They'll just say we were just taking calls, it's the media and their desire for a big trade that's driving this.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I didn't think there was any chance Duchene would still be here on July 3rd so each day I'm losing more hope that something will actually happen. All that's left is for CBJ to acquire Kovalchuk and if that happens, I'll just stop checking for updates.

I'm surprised too, but we are basically 3 months from the start of the season.

Fun fact: the Avs traded Ryan Smyth 8 years ago today.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not saying I personally buy this viewpoint but the other side of the viewpoint is that Sakic never said explicitly it was Duchene for sale and how it used to be this core player trade but other names were thrown around all the time even up to last deadline (Landy, Varly, Barrie) but now it's morphed into this Duchene fiasco (they'll say entirely media driven). Now I feel that where there's smoke something has to be going on. But for an org who doesn't feel urgency to get assets then what is the motivation if they feel they have two more years to complete this. They'll just say we were just taking calls, it's the media and their desire for a big trade that's driving this.

When things get out of hand, it is the organization's job to try to control the message. The Avs have done a very **** poor job of that. In many ways, not their fault... but that doesn't allow them to skirt responsibility IMO.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Looks like Jackets have stepped back today, giving us not the prospects that we want.

The next stop is Bruins, if Carlo was to be included, is there anything else that we would be getting back with Carlo.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I doubt they add to Carlo but on the bright side, Carlo would probably be a better centre-piece than Murray or Carlsson or Fabbro.

Also looks like the Canes are adding another centre but still won't add one that can actually score lol.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Looks like Jackets have stepped back today, giving us not the prospects that we want.

The next stop is Bruins, if Carlo was to be included, is there anything else that we would be getting back with Carlo.

A first, even if we have to add a little something.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017

Where did you see they stepped back? Havent really heard anything from anyone today

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Rantanen-MacKinnon-Ghetto
Landeskog-Jost-Duchene
Greer-Compher-Wilson
Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau

At least the forwards should be exciting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's probably just conjecture because no one has said anything. I don't think that means anything more than taking a long holiday weekend. I'm sure talks will resume on Wednesday.

This is also the period where executives head out on vacation. They don't get many gaps... early July to August is about it.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think if it doesnt go down anytime within a week from Wednesday, its probably best to wait till the TDL

You guys like Groundhog Day right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad