Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
GMs really don't try to screw each other... the league is very tight knit and there are only so many working relationships that can be broken before a GM is blackballed. I believe there have been a lot of fair offers thrown Sakic's way. It seems more asinine to me that Sakic hasn't received any fair offers vs he has received a number of fair offers. Especially given Duchene's stature in the NHL.

I really don't care what fans think of Sakic (and he really shouldn't either). Right now though... he has really screwed up this situation to a level we rarely see. I don't think that can be denied. This is very public now, and it has completely ruined a relationship between a good player and an organization.
Yeah I don't disagree that this has become a bad situation between the two parties. but until I see those offers (the entire offers) reported by trusted sources, I will continue to think that he needs to stand his ground instead of "trade him already and be down with it" kinda thing like some people here are now saying.

Edit: Stand his ground as far as value is concerned. He might have to give up the idea of the dman he wants.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, he went all in. Hanzal too. Add in Hitchcock, and that will be a defensively responsible team with some nice offensive firepower.

Bergevin, however...I don't know what's going on in his head.

Yep... they have as solid of 1-2-3 center group as anybody in the NHL. If Methot can help Klingberg in the same way he helped Karlsson... Dallas could make some real noise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah I don't disagree that this has become a bad situation between the two parties. but until I see those offers (the entire offers) reported by trusted sources, I will continue to think that he needs to stand his ground instead of "trade him already and be down with it" kinda thing like some people here are now saying.

You'll never really see those offers leak. They almost never do... and even when they do, people still shoot down good sources.

A legit question here... what has Sakic done to earn the benefit of doubt in this situation?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I don't agree. There is no "must" in it. Duchene said he is OK with either being traded or stay with the team. Trade him when return is really good. I agree with Dater article on BSN. jackets waited for good deal for Nash and they got it: Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and the Rangers� first-round pick in 2013. For Anisimov they got Saad, for Saad they got Panarin.

I want similar deal for Duchene. I'm ok with Murray+ Dubois+1st as was rumored or Carlsson instead of Murray even better if it's +Carlsson.

Would you be happy for some crappy or at best so-so return? I wouldn't.

He has been on the market for ages. Sakic is just afraid to make a bad deal. Situation is poisonous and I don't expect him to be lights out next season playing in this team, especially when Bednar is the coach. A subpar season would just hurt his value. The only thing I find positive about dragging this to 2018 summer is that the team trading for Duchene could immediately negotiate a new contract for him.

I wouldn't take a crappy deal but I'd accept a fair deal. I don't expect a home run. I'd be extremely happy with Murray+Dubois and I doubt Duchene is worth that/Jarmo would give up that for Dutchy.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You'll never really see those offers leak. They almost never do... and even when they do, people still shoot down good sources.

A legit question here... what has Sakic done to earn the benefit of doubt in this situation?

Duh, he's not traded Matt "Living Legend" Duchene! ;)

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Wow. This summer, Stars have upgraded their goalie position, added a legit top four D, 1st line winger and borderline elite 3C.

They lost Eakin and Niemi?

That team is going to be great. I'm jealous.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Yeah, he went all in. Hanzal too. Add in Hitchcock, and that will be a defensively responsible team with some nice offensive firepower.

Bergevin, however...I don't know what's going on in his head.

Don't forget Miro Heiskanen :sarcasm:

But seriously, they got their goalie in Bishop, solidified the defense now with Methot and in the future with Heiskanen and added more firepower with Radulov and Hanzal. That's the kind of moves you do when you miss the playoffs... unless youre name is Joe. :shakehead

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Wow. This summer, Stars have upgraded their goalie position, added a legit top four D, 1st line winger and borderline elite 3C.

That team is going to be great.

I'm still not a fan of their defense. Good luck shutting them out though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've said I believed Grigorenko would end up in KHL for a year now. He just doesn't have it in him to fight. If anything coaches are overly patient with players like him because of the undeniable talent but it always ends the same. Patience isn't endless and at some point you don't have the energy to try to get them to play hockey.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

That team is going to be great.

Add to that Honka and Gurianov being close to contribution and they have a much better team.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Yes you are right they rarely become public but usually you can have a better idea of the value/players involved. Right now it is all a big guess.

Sakic is trying to make the best deal for the team going forward which means value + fit (which in itself means age and position). If all he can get is future than he can get that later as well. His best bet then is to keep Duchene and Duchene needs to suck it up and improve his value to help for a trade.

I'm not just defending Sakic here. He has a lot to be blamed about but a lot of this situation was also created by other GMs like Dorion (with Melnyk thrown in there), Bergevin and now Snow. Right now I believe his best bet is to keep Duchene until he gets something he is comfortable with.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Sakic may very well be at the point of no return with the duchene situation; as in theres no longer a trade that makes sense value wise and duchene will have to be in the fold with the avs going forward. Maybe deals that were once on the table are now off the table. The window of getting needed value for duchene may have closed and now both parties will have to suck it up. Regardless of where duchene is playing for the next two seasons he still has to earn his next contract, so I don't think he will continue to spiral downward because his feeling are hurt by the big bad sakic. Just my 2 cents though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes you are right they rarely become public but usually you can have a better idea of the value/players involved. Right now it is all a big guess.

Sakic is trying to make the best deal for the team going forward which means value + fit (which in itself means age and position). If all he can get is future than he can get that later as well. His best bet then is to keep Duchene and Duchene needs to suck it up and improve his value to help for a trade.

I'm not just defending Sakic here. He has a lot to be blamed about but a lot of this situation was also created by other GMs like Dorion (with Melnyk thrown in there), Bergevin and now Snow. Right now I believe his best bet is to keep Duchene until he gets something he is comfortable with.

Consider how often this happens... I really can't think of another instance of a single GM going public like they have in negotiations. Let alone 3 (and I believe there was one other, but I could be wrong there). It is pretty unheard of, and the common denominator is Sakic.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Add to that Honka and Gurianov being close to contribution and they have a much better team.

Oh that's right, Honka will be up the whole season. Is Gurianov really that close to being NHL ready?

I'm wondering what's the deal with Nichushkin. Is he coming back to NHL after next season?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh that's right, Honka will be up the whole season. Is Gurianov really that close to being NHL ready?

I'm wondering what's the deal with Nichushkin. Is he coming back to NHL after next season?

I think Gurianov could play a 3rd line role next season, especially next to Hanzel.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I think Gurianov could play a 3rd line role next season, especially next to Hanzel.

Granted I haven't watched a single game him play (expect for some U20 games) but to me that age + AHL stats combo screams one more season in AHL before NHL regularity.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Consider how often this happens... I really can't think of another instance of a single GM going public like they have in negotiations. Let alone 3 (and I believe there was one other, but I could be wrong there). It is pretty unheard of, and the common denominator is Sakic.
It doesn't get to that point because the GM usually fights back and/or squash the rumours about his player being on the block. That's where Sakic was wrong. He should have come out and say that Duchene wasn't on the block but he will do his job and that is to listen to all offers and if one makes sense for the team then you take it. Him being to passive got this situation out of hand but it doesn't mean he should cave to any of them now due to media pressure.

Anyway I don't think we gonna agree on this so agree to disagree.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I know I said this last year and the year before and got ripped on by everyone... But is this truly the last year where MacKinnon can be traded for a legit #1 defender?

When does the luster of being #1 overall pick and having a good rookie season fade for good?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I know I said this last year and the year before and got ripped on by everyone... But is this truly the last year where MacKinnon can be traded for a legit #1 defender?

When does the luster of being #1 overall pick and having a good rookie season fade for good?

Ask Erik Johnson.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

who would be an acceptable return for the "untouchable" mackinnon? and who would be willing to part with that piece?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
On the whole Sakic debate, I have found that things are seldom black and white in life, more like a whole bunch of shades of gray.

I suspect their is a lot of blame to go around, both within and outside the Avs' organization. I can certainly criticize Sakic, but few if any of us have all the facts, and, as I said, things are seldom 100% the fault of one individual in situations like these.

I could not agree more.

Yes there is plenty of blame to go around. Sakic being way to open to the media about trading Duchene, Duchene collapsing like a house of cards down the stretch, other GMs/owners using media mouthpieces to pressure Sakic (making Sakic dig-in), Duchene not down playing the rumours, Barberio opening his pie hole, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad