Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Not gonna lie, part of me wants to trade duchene to the pens just to see them meltdown by isles fans. Heck, jt might decide to leave since nobody else in eastern conference will have a chance

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I've been saying that this whole time.

Sakic probably doesn't view Duchene and everything he's accomplished as an NHL player + International Player + Olympics as equal value as Hanifin and what he's done so far in his 2 years in his NHL career. In Hanifin, he probably sees a young former 5th overall pick who's looking good but who's top upside is yet to be determined. (and if he's going to be that good, why are the Hurricanes comfortable moving him out? Is there something we don't know about - I think those are valid questions)

I think for Joe, it would be like trading Ryan O'Reilly for only Nikita Zadorov...and really just crossing your fingers and hoping it works out.

I don't necessarily see it that way because I really like Hanifin but I can certainly understand wanting more to alleviate the risk that he doesn't fully pan out.

Those kinds of deals do happen though as we've just seen with Sergachev vs Drouin but I think Tampa is in a much better position to be able to take that kind of risk and salary cap-wise, they needed to do something.

For Ron Francis, I think he's probably interested in Duchene and he might be able to be convinced to give up Hanifin based on how strong his defense + prospects are but I think it's probably a stretch for him to add to Hanifin to get anything done.

So I think it's a bit of a stand-off. They could probably come to an agreement by making a deal with a bunch of conditional elements in there but it probably won't happen.

And this is the problem with Sakic. No balls. If you want a young potential #1 you must trade for them before they are proven. We were rumored to turn down a jones swap. We apparently turned down a great deal that included Chabot. I bet we could have had Sergachev. The guy is too ****ing scared to pull the trigger on potential.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Staple says his understanding is that Ekholm was the ask from Nashville for Duchene and that talks didn't go anywhere.

Clearly Staple is a mouthpiece for Snow, but I wonder if he has some type of connection with Brisson too?

I sincerely doubt it. But Ekholm does make sense from our end, just not from Preds as they want to keep that D intact.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not gonna lie, part of me wants to trade duchene to the pens just to see them meltdown by isles fans. Heck, jt might decide to leave since nobody else in eastern conference will have a chance

Pitt is definitely a place he'd have no trouble getting back to 60-70 point form. But then we'd have to deal with everybody telling us how stupid we were to sell low on such an elite player. It'll probably happen anywhere, but it'd defeniktly happen with the Penguins.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Ekholm was such a beast in the playoffs. He would be perfect but obviously that ship has sailed. Nashville is not going to ruin the integrity of their top 4. It's either a futures package or they'll go after an RNH or somebody cheaper than Matty.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
i dont see the issue with asking for Ham+ for duchene. Most people around here were fine with trading Barrie for Ham awhile back, and most people saw his as a solid #2/3 dman. If the avs believe duchene will only lose value as the season progresses, why not flip him for an asset that won't lose value and could still be traded at the deadline for good value. Ham might have had a rough season, but so did duchene. they are both very good hockey players coming off of down seasons.

That was when we were trying to compete. We should be rebuilding now.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Not that it means anything but I find it amusing that during this time Ilya Sorokin is currently in Colorado fishing. Someone should tell Chambers and see what craziness he puts out there.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Like Kento/Eddie said its the anniversary of the huge trades last year...

Keep the tradition going with Duchene for Hanifin.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I've never seen a fan base as desperate to preserve the reputation of a beat writer as Isles fans. They are like children wrapped around the hand that feeds them.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Nothing wrong with asking for Hamonic over say CDH, but without the context as to the rest of the ask it's impossible to know if it made sense.

I could see Sakic laying out various deals where Hamonic is the established NHLer coming back and then a combination of 1st/1st/Barzal/Beau/MDC is the rest of the package. That's likely what Snow balked at, moving a defender that last year was worth Hall (woof, nice one Snow) and this year he can't even get Duchene for.

All of the people saying Sakic was leaking the asking price or rumors should be eating crow though, it's pretty obvious that was coming from the Isles or another club in the mix, trying to put pressure on Sakic to accept or drop the asking price.

Yup. I'm also certain it's something like this. Snow didn't want to add much to Hamonic in order to get Duchene and the Avs probably wanted some nice pieces on top of Hamonic in order to get it done. Perhaps the picks are more appetizing, perhaps not but one thing I'm sure of, if Barzal isn't part of the package coming back, I don't see Duchene going to NYI.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I guess I'll be the one to mention the giant elephant in the room that everyone is afraid to talk about.

Are we not going to re-sign Ranford? We need bodies for the AHL and the guy had a good showing, unlike most down there.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
...minny fans

Russo isn't half as much of a mouthpiece in my opinion. The guy is a blatant Minny homer and touts his opinion as loudly as any fan, which gets incredibly annoying, but Staples just trots out whatever narrative Snow wants Isles fans to suck up. What's amusing is that Isles fans openly admit Staples is Snow's mouthpiece, which means that in defending his credibility they think Snow actually has some sort of vested interest in telling them the truth.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Funny that Pierre mentioned Faulk (called him a one-dimentional dman) and said that he don't see the 'Canes trading Slavin or Pesce but no word on Hanifin.

We've been inflating Hanifin's value quite on lot on our board during the last 6 months. It's entirely possible that this trade isn't happening because the AVS want more.

You'd have had a point at the TDL; but Hanifin finishing the season so well after getting promoted to the top 4 changes that in my eyes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hanifin will be a top 2D at worst, with a good chance at being a #1 (going to break out in a big, big way next year). Carolina would be crazy to trade him right now, but they have the depth to spend that to attempt to get their #1C.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You'd have had a point at the TDL; but Hanifin finishing the season so well after getting promoted to the top 4 changes that in my eyes.

I know some people don't like him but Staple says that the AVS wanted "much more" at the draft than Hamonic + 1st + prospect

While I value Hanifin higher than Hamonic, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Sakic wanted "much more" than Hanifin as well. Let's not forget that he wanted Sergachev + Galchenyuk + 1st at the deadline.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know some people don't like him but Staple says that the AVS wanted "much more" at the draft than Hamonic + 1st + prospect

While I value Hanifin higher than Hamonic, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Sakic wanted "much more" than Hanifin as well. Let's not forget that he wanted Sergachev + Galchenyuk + 1st at the deadline.

Yeah and Dater says that they offered Hamonic without any addition.

http://bsndenver.com/dater-column-lets-all-take-a-deep-breath-regarding-the-matt-duchene-situation/

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Sakic was basically asking for teams to fix the mistakes on the Avs. If it turns out that Carolina was in fact willing to move Hanifin for Duchene, but that Sakic demanded more on top of that, and that's what caused the Canes to walk away...well, I'm not sure how I'd react. It wouldn't be positively though.

Sakic's trying to go for the homerun. One where he solves his current defensive issues, as well as solving the prospect/future talent issues. I don't think you can get both, especially with how Duchene ended the season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Sakic was basically asking for teams to fix the mistakes on the Avs. If it turns out that Carolina was in fact willing to move Hanifin for Duchene, but that Sakic demanded more on top of that, and that's what caused the Canes to walk away...well, I'm not sure how I'd react. It wouldn't be positively though.

Sakic's trying to go for the homerun. One where he solves his current defensive issues, as well as solving the prospect/future talent issues. I don't think you can get both, especially with how Duchene ended the season.

That's probably my only fear in any of this. The rest is just noise about flawed packages with the last piece left unsaid.

If Hanifin was offered in any capacity for Duchene without a significant addition to Duchene and he turned it down hes a dumb ass.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Staple has done nothing but say whatever Snow wants to be out there. He's also now reporting that the Isles probably won't be big players in FA. If Snow had other trades lined up to add a #2 centre he'd have done them already. I'd say he's a desperate man trying to re-sign his star forward, and facing the fact that so far his off-season looks like this:

In:

Jordan Eberle
Calgary 2018 1st
Calgary 2018 2nd
Calgary 2019 2nd

Out

Travis Hamonic
Ryan Strome
2017 1st
2019 2nd
Mikhail Grabovski

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Staple has done nothing but say whatever Snow wants to be out there. He's also now reporting that the Isles probably won't be big players in FA. If Snow had other trades lined up to add a #2 centre he'd have done them already. I'd say he's a desperate man trying to re-sign his star forward, and facing the fact that so far his off-season looks like this:

In:

Jordan Eberle
Calgary 2018 1st
Calgary 2018 2nd
Calgary 2019 2nd

Out

Travis Hamonic
Ryan Strome
2017 1st
2019 2nd
Mikhail Grabovski

Holy crap that looks bad when you lay it out like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad