Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Regarding the Hamonic package, how come Sakic couldn't have fielded offers for Hamonic?

The rumored package was Hamonic + 2018 + Prospect. I know he was gunning for a defense or a high-end prospect like Barzal, but if he had the sense to shop Hamonic the package could've been something like 2x 2018 1st (both teams potentially lottery position), 2x 2018/2019 2nd, and Beauvillier. Doesn't check the defense box, but sure as hell exceeds the value.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Colorado should have just taken Hamonic, the Isles 2018 1st, and whatever prospect was coming and then flipped Hamonic for the deal the Islanders got from the Flames to basically pick up 2 1sts, 2 seconds, and a prospect for Duchene and then either decided the full mini rebuild was on or used those assets to make other deals.

That said, maybe that deal -- or something similar, is still out there from the Islanders....so maybe still? Given how random things are in the NHL these days, that Islanders or Flames pick could just as well be a lotto pick, you just never know with the tweener teams like that.

I am going to give Joe until 4-5 days into July to pass judgment -- a lot could truly happen in that window still.... but if we end that first full week of July without something resolved it is going to be hard unless Duchene himself puts out a statement that he really wants to give it another go in Colorado and is willing to put the work in. (which I doubt he does)

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I just want to say, to hell with the Isles. It wasn't Lebrun, or Friedman, or McKenzie, or anyone else from the national media who leaked this. It was Staples, the person Isles fans have publicly said is credible, multiple times, because Snow gives him info. They've flat out admitted he's their mouthpiece. This new info guaranteed came from a hacked off Snow who's facing a failed off-season if he doesn't get Duchene. I honestly hope I never have to watch Duchene in an Isles uniform. What a sad day that would be.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Regarding the Hamonic package, how come Sakic couldn't have fielded offers for Hamonic?

The rumored package was Hamonic + 2018 + Prospect. I know he was gunning for a defense or a high-end prospect like Barzal, but if he had the sense to shop Hamonic the package could've been something like 2x 2018 1st (both teams potentially lottery position), 2x 2018/2019 2nd, and Beauvillier. Doesn't check the defense box, but sure as hell exceeds the value.

And how do you know that it's Beauvillier?

I have a feeling Garth Snow is crying to the media but is truly not willing to include players like Barzal or Beauvillier in any package. I think he's more than happy to include Pulock in a trade because he's already got Leddy, Boychuk, CDH, Pelech on the back end.

I have my doubts about Garth Snow offering anything actually worthwhile for us. Do I blame Sakic for how long this has dragged out? Absolutely. I think he's played this so insanely poorly that it's laughable he is still employed. Any other GM with a different last name probably would have been fired by now.

In saying that, I don't want him to settle for what Snow is offering. Just because Garth Snow seems to REALLY want Matt Duchene he thinks he can get him on the cheap? And then when it doesn't happen, he just goes and cries to the media?

I think Sakic is in over his head, but honestly if a package of Barzal + Pulock + 2018 1st was offered for Matt Duchene is he REALLY that stupid to reject it? I have a hard time believing that, which is why I have a hard time believing the Islanders have actually offered anything decent.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Can we have like a separate Duchene rumours and normal trade/FA speculation thread especially leading into free agency lol? I just want a safe-space from all the Duchene speculation.

Anyone have an idea who the Avs are interested in as a backup goalie?

I'd think they look at Mason or Bernier but it has to be Mason they make the big push for no? He could for sure take over from Varly and help get rid of Varly, we actually have the space and he's worth overpaying unlike a guy like Soderberg or Beuchemin. Either way, I'm hoping it's a younger backup not an older one.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Just because Garth Snow seems to REALLY want Matt Duchene he thinks he can get him on the cheap? And then when it doesn't happen, he just goes and cries to the media?

I think Sakic is in over his head, but honestly if a package of Barzal + Pulock + 2018 1st was offered for Matt Duchene is he REALLY that stupid to reject it? I have a hard time believing that, which is why I have a hard time believing the Islanders have actually offered anything decent.

The only good feels out of all of this is that Snow IMO is 100% the type of GM to say F' it and just go all crazy in on a trade. The Islanders are also a team in desperation mode to get their all world talent to stay and prove they can do something meaningful, i.e. bring in a guy like Duchene. Maybe, just maybe, he breaks...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Can we have like a separate Duchene rumours and normal trade/FA speculation thread especially leading into free agency lol? I just want a safe-space from all the Duchene speculation.

I'd think they look at Mason or Bernier but it has to be Mason they make the big push for no? He could for sure take over from Varly and help get rid of Varly, we actually have the space and he's worth overpaying unlike a guy like Soderberg or Beuchemin. Either way, I'm hoping it's a younger backup not an older one.

Steve Mason is not going to unseat Varlamov as our #1 if he's brought in here. He's not good.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The only good feels out of all of this is that Snow IMO is 100% the type of GM to say F' it and just go all crazy in on a trade. The Islanders are also a team in desperation mode to get their all world talent to stay and prove they can do something meaningful, i.e. bring in a guy like Duchene. Maybe, just maybe, he breaks...

Yup. This is a high stakes game of first one to blink loses. I saw Joe Sakic on tv the other night that man has not blinked since November. Garth Snow trying to put the heater on Sakic but really Sakic is not the one who has to keep Tavares happy thats Snow's job. Sakic aint going help Snow unless Snow offers Sakic all the concubines and their maids.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup. This is a high stakes game of first one to blink loses. I saw Joe Sakic on tv the other night that man has not blinked since November. Garth Snow trying to put the heater on Sakic but really Sakic is not the one who has to keep Tavares happy thats Snow's job. Sakic aint going help Snow unless Snow offers Sakic all the concubines and their maids.

Lmao Sakic hasn't blinked since August when Roy dipped.

But the point is true. Snow NEEDS to ice not just a borderline playoff team, but a team that can contend in Tavares' last year of his contract. It's Marc Bergevin syndrome. The guy needs to realize the future is now. Don't worry about how players are going to look 3-5 years from now because you might not have John Tavares as early as 2018-2019.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Lmao Sakic hasn't blinked since August when Roy dipped.

But the point is true. Snow NEEDS to ice not just a borderline playoff team, but a team that can contend in Tavares' last year of his contract. It's Marc Bergevin syndrome. The guy needs to realize the future is now. Don't worry about how players are going to look 3-5 years from now because you might not have John Tavares as early as 2018-2019.

That and Snow might not even be employed by the Islander in 3-5 years anyways when some of these guys hit their stride.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
Can"t believe Sakic don't trade on the two-day draft ! Dou you think that could change in the coming weeks ??

I would have loved to see Hanifin in avs uniform. Now, It's certainly over

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You guys are letting other GMs and media cloud your minds. Why should Sakic just trade Duchene? Quite frankly that Hamonic + 1st package is terrible. I won't mention the prospect because that could be someone worthless, sooner than Barzal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Snow threw a hissy fit when another GM leaked the Hamonic trade request to put pressure on him. Said he'd never deal with them again. Now he's leaking info about Joe's asking price, and Brisson being upset with him to put pressure on Sakic. Total snake in the grass hypocrite.

He's just in panic mode because he's about to lose their franchise player in Tavares if he can't build a good team around him, and then he'll lose his job.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Their fans are snakes as well, moaning about how Duchene's price is lower because his agent is shopping him around and how we need to trade him ASAP for anything, while at the same time they were adamant Hamonic's price didn't drop when he asked to be traded and that they don't need to trade him. Hypocrite​ central that lot.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If the current offer can't beat 1.5 years of Duchene + trade deadline 2019 return, obviously Sakic won't take it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd accept [Hamonic's return from CGY] + [Isles 1st 2018] + [prospect] which is essentially what Snow offered in the first place.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'd accept [Hamonic's return from CGY] + [Isles 1st 2018] + [prospect] which is essentially what Snow offered in the first place.

It really depends on the prospect.

Because odds are high that both CGY and Isles will be playoff teams with their new additions.

Trading Duchene for two picks in the twenties will make us look really bad given the success rate of picks in that range even in stronger drafts...

If it is Barzal or even Beauvillier, then sure make the deal.

If it is van de Sompel or Wotherspoon, you tell Snow to get the eff out of here.

This also makes that Staples leak such an obvious negotation ploy that wants to put pressure on Sakic when that offer really could have been garbage (or great) and no one will ever find out the truth probably.

I really had to laugh at the "reduced" offer line in that recent Staples article.

Those guys are really underestimating how stubborn Sakic is and how little our owners care about this franchise and are trying to downplay under how much pressure Snow is and how little other options he has right now...

Isles really don't have what Bergevin would want for Galchenyuk (LHD or C) and what other team is willing to trade a quality player right now for mainly futures?

Vegas and James Neal? Maybe but the Isles don't really need another LW. They need a center.

Toronto and JVR?

Apparantely it is rumored that Snow had JVR + 1st on the table and passed on it so I don't think that will happen. Also a LW.
What else is available? Bozak?

As much as I hate the current limbo and how Sakic has handled this one, he IMO has way too much leverage right now to settle for something like Dal Colle + 2 1sts...

He really should get atleast Beauvillier + 2 1sts + a little something else (2nd rounder?) for taking on Kulemins caphit (which makes sense for all parties involved)..

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
So, let's look at the gaps given what we have right now (and after the draft), to determine what types of free agents we need to acquire. As I stated all along, I think Duchene will be here, and I also think he'll kick ass.

+ Assume nobody acquired at the draft will have immediate impact.
+ Beauchemin has been bought out (cap still applies).
+ Mcleod is still be acquired.

Landy - Mack - Rants
Sodo - Dutchy - Ghetto
Comeau - Jost - Compher
*Nieto - Colborne - *Grimaldi
(Greer)

*Zad - EJ
Barbs - Barrie
Mirinov - Lindholm
(Bigras)

Varly
XXXXXXXX

So it seems Sakic has to do 4 things if possible:
1. Re-sign Nieto (guess 1)
2. Re-sign Andrighetto (guess 1.25)
3. Re-sign Zadorov (3.75 - bridge)
4. Acquire back-up (1)

We have spent 54 mill (very close) including Mcleod + Beauch.
The Cap floor will be 55.4M
The Cap ceiling will be 75M

Estimated total spend including additional players 61M

Despite such a poor season last season, Avs made 6.3M profit for The Kroenke's after costs.
If we have an equally poor season attendance wise, a reduction in income per above would net Kroenke 12.4M profit.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So, let's look at the gaps given what we have right now (and after the draft), to determine what types of free agents we need to acquire. As I stated all along, I think Duchene will be here, and I also think he'll kick ass.

+ Assume nobody acquired at the draft will have immediate impact.
+ Beauchemin has been bought out (cap still applies).
+ Mcleod is still be acquired.

Landy - Mack - Rants
Sodo - Dutchy - Ghetto
Comeau - Jost - Compher
*Nieto - Colborne - *Grimaldi
(Greer)

*Zad - EJ
Barbs - Barrie
Mirinov - Lindholm
(Bigras)

Varly
XXXXXXXX

So it seems Sakic has to do 4 things if possible:
1. Re-sign Nieto (guess 1)
2. Re-sign Andrighetto (guess 1.25)
3. Re-sign Zadorov (3.75 - bridge)
4. Acquire back-up (1)

We have spent 54 mill (very close) including Mcleod + Beauch.
The Cap floor will be 55.4M
The Cap ceiling will be 75M

Estimated total spend including additional players 61M

Despite such a poor season last season, Avs made 6.3M profit for The Kroenke's after costs.
If we have an equally poor season attendance wise, a reduction in income per above would net Kroenke 12.4M profit.

You just made me get pissed off over last season all over again :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad