Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXI|Get Bigger or Get...Badder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Friedman says there have been rumblings that the Flyers have thought about trading Nolan Patrick. I know a lot of people aren’t a fan of his but I’m still slightly obsessed. I’d love to find a way to get my hands on him.

He'd be a fine player to bring in, but you pay the price for what he is... not what people expected out of him in his draft year. That is a 3rd liner with the upside of a 2nd line guy who may never get there, but has a real solid chance.

IMO that is Philly understanding their mistake and trying to get out of it with as much value as possible before a pizza boy situation arises.

Reactions: Barklez

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Probably not realistic after Matthews signed for $11.5 and Marner holding steady for the same. Mikko's market value is around $11m. I'm think it'll take double digits to get Mikko signed long term. I see the Avs cheaping out and going short term.

Mikko is not a 11 million $$$ player. If stone who is a better all around player than him signs for 9.5 million and 8 years. Taxes or no taxes. Stone was also a UFA. He should get paid more than RFAs.

DOesnt want to sign for 8 years and under 10 million, I would do a 2 year bridge with Rants and put him on the 2nd line and see how will he does away from Mack. Mack was still scoring and assisting when Rants missed the last 2 weeks of the season. Rants struggled without Mack when he missed time due to injury.

Reactions: Foxtail

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He'd be a fine player to bring in, but you pay the price for what he is... not what people expected out of him in his draft year. That is a 3rd liner with the upside of a 2nd line guy who may never get there, but has a real solid chance.

IMO that is Philly understanding their mistake and trying to get out of it with as much value as possible before a pizza boy situation arises.

All I can think of...

original-26471-1450673767-7.png

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Friedman says there have been rumblings that the Flyers have thought about trading Nolan Patrick. I know a lot of people aren’t a fan of his but I’m still slightly obsessed. I’d love to find a way to get my hands on him.

I floated this out there a few days ago, maybe in the Hayes thread, without naming names.

IMO he’s a better version of what Jost currently is for us and I give him a significantly higher chance at becoming a good 2nd liner than I do Jost. He was great in flashes last year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he did well here.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Mikko is not a 11 million $$$ player. If stone who is a better all around player than him signs for 9.5 million and 8 years. Taxes or no taxes. Stone was also a UFA. He should get paid more than RFAs.

DOesnt want to sign for 8 years and under 10 million, I would do a 2 year bridge with Rants and put him on the 2nd line and see how will he does away from Mack. Mack was still scoring and assisting when Rants missed the last 2 weeks of the season. Rants struggled without Mack when he missed time due to injury.

:shakehead

Who’s going to tell ‘im?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Stone is also a lot older than mikko and will be getting paid until he's 35 on that contract; term has a different value to guys in their late 20s than their early 20s. So Stone gave AAV to get that 8 year, while Mikko would require a higher AAV if we want more than 5 years. This is why the Matthews contract and the contracts Marner & Laine will sign are going to serve as a better basis of comparison...or the Drae deal if you factor in the cap-inflation that's occured since then.

And if you bridge Mikko you run the risk of alienating one of your best players...quite possibly pushing him to request a trade right as we're supposed to be contending. Which I'm sure will go down well with MacKinnon...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Makes sense. Plus there’s emphasis from ownership for the Flyers to make the playoffs and contend now so it’s not like we could get him for quantity or futures.

Guessing they’d like to make a 1 for 1 trade with a rebuilding team or even a cap crunch team like Winnipeg (Trouba).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Makes sense. Plus there’s emphasis from ownership for the Flyers to make the playoffs and contend now so it’s not like we could get him for quantity or futures.

Guessing they’d like to make a 1 for 1 trade with a rebuilding team or even a cap crunch team like Winnipeg (Trouba).

In a package for Trouba, I think Patrick makes A LOT of sense. Trouba + Roslovic for Patrick + Ghost

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah I never imagined myself in MI long term, but if there is one benefit to it.. Hockey is rooted here in the sports culture, and there is a lot of support really close that people in the states travel here for. It is a unique situation for the US.

Also the cost of lower bowel season tickets in most NHL cities is 6K or more for two tickets. In Tampa we paid about 6500 for upper lower bowl seats just left of center ice. Which I actually liked because I like the view of the entire ice sheet just above the glass. So it was perfect. Even though me and my wife both grew up in families that were upper middle class neither of us had really had the opportunity to have season tickets. One of the best experiences of my life that year. You just can't control how much emphasis your family puts on it even if they could afford it.
I won't bold what I am referring to and let people figure it out but REALLY? Nobody has yet to make a smart ass comment on a certain word in the first sentence of the last paragraph?

That is priceless.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
So for any of you out there that even consider the possibility of Duchene coming back... He had an interview on Spittin Chiclets and it included him talking about the trade from the Avs and FA

There's a ton of stuff (its like a 1 hour interview), but for Avs relevant stuff

Some things to note on the trade
  • Describes his motivation for moving on like any job where you feel like you need a fresh start
  • Happy to see the Avs doing well... "wish them nothing but the best"
  • Describes how he talked about the trade with Joe as "the most civil thing ever"
  • Describes Joe as "as close to a perfect human as I ever met"
  • "Some people say don't meet your heroes, but for me that was bullsh*t since they lived up to everything I imagined" - in reference to Sakic, Roy, Forsberg, and others
  • "Hardest thing I've ever done in my life is leaving Colorado"
  • "Forever be an Avs fan, and Denver will always be a home for me"
  • "It never ever got bad between me and anyone, or any of my teammates. They obviously knew going into that last season that I wanted to move on."
  • Said he wanted to give the team a heads up so they could plan for it and get something for him instead of him walking for nothing
On free agency
  • "Its so early that we're waiting for things to start"... "no clue what's going to happen"
  • "We haven't talked to anyone yet"
  • Will talk to CBJ
  • Talks about maybe talking to Stastny to probe his mind on the UFA experience.
  • Wants a place he can win, wants a place he can play his game and continue to grow, and wants a good place for his young son to call a hometown... to "look after his family"
  • After a "Duchene to Nashville" joke, he said its been fun to see stuff like that and "country music will have no effect on my decision"... "Its all about the game and my family"
  • Also noted how teams can change to contender from bottom barrel, or reverse, in a year or two. Which makes the hockey decision harder (as in wanting to win)
Sort of get the feeling that he's mostly moved on mentally, but if Joe called him up and asked him he may well say yes. Based on his comments on teammates and Joe, I think the biggest obstacle is coming back from a "moved on" feeling for any side over any burned bridges.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still don't believe it was an entirely amicable parting between him and the organization but I also don't feel it was Lindros/Clarke in Philly either.

Either way, he ain't comin' back. That ship has sailed. I wish him the best, and I sure as hell hope he doesn't end up in Nashville.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Nolan Patrick is one of the few guys for which I would give up on Jost's upside and progression. Apparently I'm one of a few people that think Jost is still going to become a legit player, and obviously there would need to be a + or two added from the Avs to get the deal done, but it's a deal that I think could benefit both teams in the long run.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jost’s first two seasons in this league have been far better than any of us (Myself especially) give him credit for. He has many, many things he needs to work on but his production has been solid and based on a /60 rate and his quality of linemates it’s actually been quite good. His progress away from the puck since game 1 in this league has actually been phenomenal too. One of our better defensive forwards already and outside of Landy I think he’s our most effective forechecker.

I never really liked the pick when they chose him. I absolutely hated his play from September - January when his stick was the place where pucks went to die. But the second half of the season was actually quite good. Once he moved to centre full time I feel he really took off. 15 points in 34 games in 2019 is a 36 point pace over 82. Plus when you include the playoffs he actually scored 30 points in 82 total games this year. Those are 3C numbers and he absolutely has 3C level defensive play.

I don’t know how good he will be in the end. Hopefully he improves in all those areas he needs help. But as of now we already have ourselves a 3C who just turned 21 a couple of months ago. He’s Joe’s pick. He makes an impact. He isn’t going anywhere and that’s probably not a bad thing.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Did everyone forget that we already had a MacKinnon-Duchene 1-2 punch at Center and it did not work?

I'm happy that Duchene will test UFA and have a chance to get every penny he can get for his career, but I would prefer that not being in Colorado.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Sakic asks the core how they feel, and depending on their answers you bring Duchene home.

I truly think there's no way this happens. Even if there isn't bad blood on either side, the narrative that he COULD be unhappy again would follow him for his entire contract. I also don't think Duchene wants to go somewhere and play second fiddle to another centreman.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

If the Flyers sign Hayes so they can trade Patrick, it’ll be the most Philly thing ever.

I saw the Flyers live this year and their two best players, by a mile, were Patrick and Provorov. Patrick is already close to the cusp of breaking out.

Reactions: Barklez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad