Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXI|Get Bigger or Get...Badder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
...because we've traded away the ones who wouldn't...

*looks longingly at this generation's Drury (ROR)*

I don't like to talk ROR around here but he never seemed like a guy that was going to be happy here with 1-2 centers consistently ahead of him for the 1C role.

Winner's mentality? Sure. Fantastic hockey player? Absolutely.

Have I reflected on the trade and wished we'd kept him here? Not since he signed a big money contract and parked his car at the till of a Tim Horton's.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't get this thing of expecting player to take a "home town discount". It's literally thrown out there for anybody. I get it if it actually is a players hometown or he has been playing there 10 years or so. But Mikko? Why would he take less to play here?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I don't get this thing of expecting player to take a "home town discount". It's literally thrown out there for anybody. I get it if it actually is a players hometown or he has been playing there 10 years or so. But Mikko? Why would he take less to play here?

Because he wouldn't need to move and could continue where he has seen things are working. And yes, same logic works for a lot of players.

Reactions: Barklez

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Is there a realistic scenario where we could get Taylor Hall from the devils? What would we have to give up? I think he would be a nice fit with Mackinnon

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Is there a realistic scenario where we could get Taylor Hall from the devils? What would we have to give up? I think he would be a nice fit with Mackinnon
We have the stuff to make the trade for it. But you have to start thinking long term soon. We can't afford to extend him, he is gonna 11-12M. Well unless we move a salary at the same level the opposite direction.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
That's fine, I want them to be aggressive, but I want them to be smart as well. I'm not naive, I think they'll have to overpay in order to get virtually any sort of impact player, but I also don't want them to go and get any ol' player if they should strike out on the bigger names.

Of course not. We’ve gotta be aggressive but calculated.

However, I certainly wouldn’t consider Zucc to be any ol’ player (and neither do you it seems).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't like to talk ROR around here but he never seemed like a guy that was going to be happy here with 1-2 centers consistently ahead of him for the 1C role.

Have I reflected on the trade and wished we'd kept him here? Not since he signed a big money contract and parked his car at the till of a Tim Horton's.

Or was he just a guy with a prickly ego who did not respond well when the FO told him that he had to take less than Duchene? I'm not saying he was the easiest personality to deal with from a management perspective, but he's a choir boy compared to many successful footballers and football clubs make it work even with pricks like Icardi & Ribery :dunno:

And that is a stone that I can't cast...though fortunately no one was injured & no property damaged when I f***ed up 7 years ago.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
ROR is like when you date girl who is an absolute smoke with a rockin’ body but is super conservative and never flaunts it. Nobody else knows what’s underneath but you. Then when you break up she decides to let it all out and show what she has. To top it off with the added new confidence from all her attention she hits the gym hard and gets even hotter.

That’s Ryan O’Reilly. We knew he was amazing. Now everyone else does. Plus he’s gotten even better.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
ROR is like when you date girl who is an absolute smoke with a rockin’ body but is super conservative and never flaunts it. Nobody else knows what’s underneath but you. Then when you break up she decides to let it all out and show what she has. To top it off with the added new confidence from all her attention she hits the gym hard and gets even hotter.

That’s Ryan O’Reilly. We knew he was amazing. Now everyone else does. Plus he’s gotten even better.
I remember when people were acting like we didn't know all along. But we knew... We knew.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
image.jpg

Why, a lot of fans around here agree that 8-9 is a fare value.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

This pretty much summarizes my opinions.

ROR has always been a fantastic and hard working player. He has that ego on being the best, even though he might not have all the talent. Unfortunately, he is never content. For all the negative opinions about Duchene checking out of the AVs. ROR signed the CGY offer sheet and did the same as Duchene is giving up with BUF.

It’s in the past and the team has moved on. Complaining about a package that might not have been great in hindsight is not fair, when at the time it seemed to be a great return.

Let’s focus on the present.

- NHL Entry Draft
- UFAs
- RFAs
- 2C problem
- Expansion Draft
- Trading Barrie

:popcorn:

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Probably not realistic after Matthews signed for $11.5 and Marner holding steady for the same. Mikko's market value is around $11m. I'm think it'll take double digits to get Mikko signed long term. I see the Avs cheaping out and going short term.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
And some others think that 11M is fair for him. I don't, but some others do. But hey, in other news some here want to pay Barrie 8+ on his next contract while others want his ass traded asap. The beauty of the interwebz.

I think we have to wait and see what happens this offseason. It's only the most important offseason for the Avs in decades. No pressure.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Or was he just a guy with a prickly ego who did not respond well when the FO told him that he had to take less than Duchene? I'm not saying he was the easiest personality to deal with from a management perspective, but he's a choir boy compared to many successful footballers and football clubs make it work even with pricks like Icardi & Ribery :dunno:

And that is a stone that I can't cast...though fortunately no one was injured & no property damaged when I ****ed up 7 years ago.

Most everyone is a choir boy compared to those two and let's not pretend that NHLers and world class footballers are typically cut from the same cloth.

Not trying to make a point here, just saying.

Probably not realistic after Matthews signed for $11.5 and Marner holding steady for the same. Mikko's market value is around $11m. I'm think it'll take double digits to get Mikko signed long term. I see the Avs cheaping out and going short term.

This. Just because you've seen something repeated here "a lot" doesn't make it any less wrong.

How's that saying go? Something about someone in the village being the loudest?...

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I'm not saying Mack would. I'm saying Mikko might sign a slightly more team friendly deal because he values this team future and sees Mack's contract and feels guilt for asking almost twice as much.
I'm with ya , same idea as the Bruins did , all even and money to spare to spend on secondary help.

If you really want to win , gotta take one for the team.

That's why Toronto is in a mess , overpaying their overrated players. Now they must overpay Marner.

I'm glad Dubas didn't end up here , the Leafand he s are a mess

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
His should come with a “maximum times you can fall down” clause. I kid I kid. I’d be happy with anything under 10/per. Would rather lock him up for as long as possible.
He dod start that falli g down all the time again at the end of he year and into the playoffs. He's gotta stop that rolling around the ice crap

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Most everyone is a choir boy compared to those two and let's not pretend that NHLers and world class footballers are typically cut from the same cloth.

Not trying to make a point here, just saying.

Most everyone isn't bad compared to those two, but many footballers aren't choirboys compared to them...and doesn't that say more about the NHL's old-boy-culture & its problems handling difficult personalities?

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
.... you think Hayes is going to be an albatross(Which is ridiculous) and then proceed to suggest we sign Simmonds?

Simmonds is 4 years older than Hayes and has more than double the amount of pro hockey games on his body. If you don’t want Hayes why in the hell would you want that guy?

Eww why? Simmonds is Ladd/Lucic 2.0

VERY late reply but I don't access this site so often so... excuse me.
if it wasn't obvious, I don't want Simmonds instead or to replace Hayes. I want Simmonds on Wilson's spot. I don't want Hayes because I don't think he'll be worth his contract and there are (apparently, according to rumors) better options out there. but those are two completely different things. no sane GM in this league is going to give a 5.5 or 6M contract to Simmonds, so I really can't see how the comparison with those two players is possible. Simmonds will probably have to accept a pay-cut on a short term deal in order to prove he still is serviceable. in other words, will be cheaper than Wilson. not only Simmonds on a terrible season is still better than Wilson, but if he doesn't bounce back and make the cut to be on our second line, his play style would be perfectly fine on a 3rd line. one can do A LOT worse than paying 3-3.5M for a 3rd line winger. not long ago the Avs were paying 4M for a nacho eater... a risk? yes. a gamble? of course. but our cap space permits it and I prefer taking a gamble on Simmonds than re-signing Wilson, Andrighetto, promoting Greer, continue playing Bourque...

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Most everyone isn't bad compared to those two, but many footballers aren't choirboys compared to them...and doesn't that say more about the NHL's old-boy-culture & its problems handling difficult personalities?

I think it says more about the greater degree of tolerance and enabling of shitty behaviour that goes on in the footballing world. As a North American watching from afar it certainly seems footballers are allowed get away with more/given more chances to redeem themselves than most NHLers. Obviously there's tons that we don't hear about that might change my opinion but it certainly seems at first glance that the two sports have significantly different cultures surrounding them and the (player) personalities that gravitate to each.

If you're suggesting it's the old-boys' club mentality that keeps those sorts of personalities from succeeding (to the same degree) in hockey then I'm all for it. I can't root for a guy I don't respect, happily I only learned of certain players' transgressions after I'd grown up and they'd retired...

I've lost count the amount of times Icardi has been linked with the Gunners and I've hoped against hope he and his barbie doll would stay put in Milan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad