Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXI|Get Bigger or Get...Badder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
According to this board EJ is an older and more expensive Zaitsev (or will be very soon)... Why would the Leafs trade for him?

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
@Miri - replying to your last post.

You can’t compare a forward and dman defensively. But, for their respective positions, RNH is much better defensively than Barrie is. Barrie is bad defensively and wouldn’t be in the league if it wasn’t for his offensive abilities. That’s a tough pill to swallow for a guy looking for $8m+.

Regarding the PK aspect - yes, Edmonton’s PK was bad. But at least RNH was capable enough defensively that he was used on the PK.

The Avs had the 25th worst PK in the league. However, despite having such a woeful PK, Barrie is so bad defensively that we wouldn’t even play him on the 25th worst PK in the league. Let that sink in.

Yes, I do expect RNH to ask for a similar deal to Barrie $8m+. But I’m much more willing to pay that to RNH for all the reasons discussed ad nauseam. However, the biggest reason is NEED. We NEED a 2c while we don’t need an offensive Dman to go along with Makar/Girard. If we didn’t have those guys I would say we’re in a bind with Barrie and have to pay his price.

Hypothetically - if we traded Barrie for RNH and then drafted Turcotte / Dach / Zegras 4oa. If we’re here next year feeling the same about 4oa that we do about Makar right now, then I’d feel similarly about trading RNH before having to pay him (although paying Barrie scares me a helluva lot more).

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I dont know if you guys heard this or not, but I was listening to AJ Haefele's podcast, this guys said they never spread out rumors but only facts and opinions and they're right from listening to them. They said a source who knows Panarin personally told them that he does have interest in playing for the Avs. Whether the Avs are tops or bottom on his list is unknown though. But just knowing that Panarin has interest in the Avs is encouraging

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I dont know if you guys heard this or not, but I was listening to AJ Haefele's podcast, this guys said they never spread out rumors but only facts and opinions and they're right from listening to them. They said a source who knows Panarin personally told them that he does have interest in playing for the Avs. Whether the Avs are tops or bottom on his list is unknown though. But just knowing that Panarin has interest in the Avs is encouraging
That’s good to hear. I’ll buy his jersey after I buy Makar’s. :nod:

Reactions: the_fan

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

Every time I hear Panarin’s name on here I have to keep telling myself “Do. Not. Bite.” It’s like hearing your team made the list for the top cfb recruit - soon enough you start buying into/believing it and then are crushed when it doesn’t happen.

Really really really hope I’m wrong.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
So, any depth signings people think we might make that could be a good idea? Like Calvert last season? Bar a third goalie, I suppose

We probably don’t need another, but it feels like there has gotta be one

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
So, any depth signings people think we might make that could be a good idea? Like Calvert last season? Bar a third goalie, I suppose

I’m hoping we sign Donskoi.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Every time I hear Panarin’s name on here I have to keep telling myself “Do. Not. Bite.” It’s like hearing your team made the list for the top cfb recruit - soon enough you start buying into/believing it and then are crushed when it doesn’t happen.

Really really really hope I’m wrong.
I know it will be hard to get him, but before hearing that podcast, I didnt even think Panarin would have interest in going to Colorado, so just knowing that he does have interest, makes the chances better of getting him, Sakic just needs to do a good salesman's job

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I hope Colorado doesn't make a depth signing, at least not up front. I liked the Calvert signing last summer, but I don't think there's another vacant spot.

Assuming the Avs add two top-6 forwards - and god I hope so - that leaves Calvert, Compher, Jost, Kamenev, Nieto, Soderberg as a very good bottom-6 group. Greer, O'Connor and, hopefully at some point, Kaut become with injury fill ins (with cameos by Dries and Toninato, I'm sure).

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I know it will be hard to get him, but before hearing that podcast, I didnt even think Panarin would have interest in going to Colorado, so just knowing that he does have interest, makes the chances better of getting him, Sakic just needs to do a good salesman's job

I feel like the only ppl I’ve heard connecting Panarin and the Avs are Avs writers / reporters but no one nationally. Situations like that usually means the hometown reporter is just trying to generate traffic and followers.

Sakic’s gonna have to be urban meyer-level great recruiting wise with Panarin. He also needs to be prepared to offer $12m/year just to compete with the no income tax in Florida.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

We don’t need another depth signing. We need top 6’ers and a good 3rd string goalie. So I guess to truly answer your question the depth signing should be a goalie.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I hope Colorado doesn't make a depth signing, at least not up front. I liked the Calvert signing last summer, but I don't think there's another vacant spot.

Assuming the Avs add two top-6 forwards - and god I hope so - that leaves Calvert, Compher, Jost, Kamenev, Nieto, Soderberg as a very good bottom-6 group. Greer, O'Connor and, hopefully at some point, Kaut become with injury fill ins (with cameos by Dries and Toninato, I'm sure).

I agree and don’t want to see a depth signing as it’s the exact opposite of what we need.

But I have one big question here - if Compher and Jost are in the bottom 6, and you want to add 2 top 6 forwards.....who’s the final guy in the top 6?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I agree and don’t want to see a depth signing as it’s the exact opposite of what we need.

But I have one big question here - if Compher and Jost are in the bottom 6, and you want to add 2 top 6 forwards.....who’s the final guy in the top 6?

Unfortunately, Alex Kerfoot.

I'm not a big fan of his. But I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that he's going to be here, come hell or high water.

I do think he has stretches of being a good top six player, but he's way too streaky. My hope is that if he can't put it all together, at the very least they can move him in a package deal at some point.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
I feel like the only ppl I’ve heard connecting Panarin and the Avs are Avs writers / reporters but no one nationally. Situations like that usually means the hometown reporter is just trying to generate traffic and followers.

Sakic’s gonna have to be urban meyer-level great recruiting wise with Panarin. He also needs to be prepared to offer $12m/year just to compete with the no income tax in Florida.
I think BSN is the only group to connect Panarin to the Avs, I don’t remember seeing anything from Clark, the Denver Post, or even the fan blogs.

And to be fair to the national guys, I don’t think they’ve connected Panarin to anyone at all, there hasn’t been any talk about him going anywhere lately.

Lastly, I really don’t see the Avs making Panarin the highest paid winger in the NHL by $1.5M. I would be shocked if he gets more than Kane’s $10.5M from anyone.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
@Miri - replying to your last post.

You can’t compare a forward and dman defensively. But, for their respective positions, RNH is much better defensively than Barrie is. Barrie is bad defensively and wouldn’t be in the league if it wasn’t for his offensive abilities. That’s a tough pill to swallow for a guy looking for $8m+.

Regarding the PK aspect - yes, Edmonton’s PK was bad. But at least RNH was capable enough defensively that he was used on the PK.

The Avs had the 25th worst PK in the league. However, despite having such a woeful PK, Barrie is so bad defensively that we wouldn’t even play him on the 25th worst PK in the league. Let that sink in.

Yes, I do expect RNH to ask for a similar deal to Barrie $8m+. But I’m much more willing to pay that to RNH for all the reasons discussed ad nauseam. However, the biggest reason is NEED. We NEED a 2c while we don’t need an offensive Dman to go along with Makar/Girard. If we didn’t have those guys I would say we’re in a bind with Barrie and have to pay his price.

Hypothetically - if we traded Barrie for RNH and then drafted Turcotte / Dach / Zegras 4oa. If we’re here next year feeling the same about 4oa that we do about Makar right now, then I’d feel similarly about trading RNH before having to pay him (although paying Barrie scares me a helluva lot more).

I really want RNH.

Wasted playing for the Oilers. He has an extra year. Offensively they have similar numbers, but much better defensively than Barrie. Easily would pay the $8M per than Barrie.

Another consideration is the relationships with Mack. RNH partnered with Mack at the WC and they worked really well together.

Not only will he solve the 2C problem, but contributes defensively and ease Turcotte etc in a few years.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Yeah, but the problem is that Panarin want's to live next to the Ocean and the beach. There are no beaches or oceans around Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->