Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXX|6'3" or You Don't Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Dave Pagnotta on XM Radio suggesting the Avs will be a team that pushes very strongly for Brock Nelson should he hit free agency.

I'm indifferent to Pagnotta, but I think Nelson will come a lot cheaper than Hayes.

Also lol @ Nolan. Again.

I'm torn on Nelson. I feel like he was very opportunistic this season, and that the overall package of what he brings is a little underwhelming.

With that said - he scores a lot of his points parked in front of the net, which is the PP1 role Colin Wilson will be vacating. So, I could see him being a fit with the Avs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Colorado has a Colorado river. Panarin likes the Ocean. Some people are like that, they just want to live next to the Ocean and I can understand that.
Yeah but how does he feel about mountains?

41LHP4J.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I have no idea what Panarin thinks about mountains to tell you the truth. Some people love that big city lifestyle in NY or LA with an Ocean. It's a big deal for some people.
I know, but if Panarin is thinking about going to NY or LA he has a decision to make, its ocean, big city, or go to a playoff team.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Wanted to respond to your last post, but the stupid thread was closed.

• The salary cap isn’t increasing so much though that it increased Barrie’s AAV that much. The difference/inflation rate between last year (when Carlson signed) and this year (when Barrie should sign), is about $250k.
If you're talking about inflation between the 2017-2018 season and the 2018-2019 season, the salary cap in 2019 was $79.5 million. Adjusted for inflation, that's about $78.1 million in 2018 terms. The thing is, the 2018 salary cap was $75 million.

• Even giving Barrie the benefit of that $250k, it doesn’t put him anywhere near Burns or Karlsson.
I assume you mean Carlson here. Again, those guys signed their contracts in a different cap structure. Carlson, after his second straight 68+ point season, probably gets $9M+ if he signs right now.

It's extremely likely that first year of Barrie's next contract - i.e. the 2020-2021 season - takes place in an NHL with an $84+ million salary cap. That's the only reason his next contract will be in the same ball park - not his performance compared to those two.

• Also, both Carlson and Burns signed with their current teams, although they could’ve gotten more on the open market. If we do sign Barrie, the same principal has to apply, meaning that (even if $8m was around what Barrie would get paid), he needs to give some sort of hometown discount down to at least $7m.
$8M then =/= $8M now.

I'm not even saying he's worth $8. But it's definitely hard to argue with ~$7.5, based on what he's done.

I’m looking at varying comparables and trying to be objective.

$$$ vs % Cap

Either formula brings the number around $7.0-$7.5M, which is about the same number as your estimate.

The issue with Barrie is possibly wanting much more and with stipulations. Some have commented paying him $8.5M-$9.0M which is absurd. Sakic Presser doesn’t alleviate the possibility negotiates are not going well.

If he stays, it should not be beyond MV @ $7.5M per. Just don’t see this happening.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Lmao. Makar is taking that spot? Spare me.

Tyson Barrie is one of the best PP defensemen in the entire league. A rookie - regardless of hype - is not coming in and taking that spot.

You know whose role Cale Makar is taking? Erik Johnson's on the 2nd unit PP.

And again, I laugh at the people who claim Tyson Barrie is a one dimensional defensive liability. He's not Marc-Edouard Vlasic, but teams don't play players 21+ minutes in the regular season and 24+ minutes in the playoffs if they're liabilities. Just because he doesn't kill penalties does not make him a liability. It just means we had Erik Johnson, Ian Cole, Patrik Nemeth, and Nikita Zadorov to choose from. A team does not rotate 6 defensemen on the PK. Barrie is not needed there.

Maybe he’s not taking Tyson’s spot next year, but Barrie and his contract will be on the team for at least 6 more years. I fully expect Makar to take his spot by the 2020 season right as that extension kicks in. Also, you’re right, he is one of the best PP Dmen in the league. Only problem is you’re completely overlooking all other facets of the game.

The total absence of any PK time is absolutely An indictment on his defensive abilities (or lack thereof). Of the 30+ highest paid Dmen in the league, Barrie is by far the worst defensively, with only Yandle and Shattenkirk being close. Even those guys play the PK 4x as much as Barrie does.

Also, if Girard and Makar don’t play PK, that means that we’re down to 3 PKers. What happens when one of those guys goes to the box? Do we then just play the other 2 Dmen for the full 2 minutes?

You laugh at people that consider Barrie one dimensional. Well I laugh at people who are too big Homers to admit or realize that their favorite player’s got flaws or that he isnt Bobby Orr.

Reactions: Patagonia
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Omg when will this freaking Barrie debate end? I thought it was finally over after the new thread popped up but you guys are still beating a dead horse. I'll let Sakic worry about Barrie. Geez guys let it go

When we trade him for nothing, cause he will be overpaid as a top end PP QB, non PKing midget who can’t defense and is a real soft THICC boi

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
A separate thread for Barrie talks will not work. Barrie will always come back in the discussion in this thread. It is the Rumor thread after all. We will just and up having two different discussions going at once with two threads. Please no Barrie thread.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Tyson Barrie is one of the best PP defensemen in the entire league. A rookie - regardless of hype - is not coming in and taking that spot.

And again, I laugh at the people who claim Tyson Barrie is a one dimensional defensive liability. He's not Marc-Edouard Vlasic, but teams don't play players 21+ minutes in the regular season and 24+ minutes in the playoffs if they're liabilities. Just because he doesn't kill penalties does not make him a liability. It just means we had Erik Johnson, Ian Cole, Patrik Nemeth, and Nikita Zadorov to choose from. A team does not rotate 6 defensemen on the PK. Barrie is not needed there.

giphy.webp

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
On a serious note.. I don't really like the idea of going into next season without Barrie signed. If there is a shot at a trade that does not involve just futures and Barrie won't re-up. I think you need to take it.

I'd rather they extend him, but I also don't want a grab bag of futures for him at the TDL either.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
We have no reason to believe that.

Makar, if anything, will be taking EJ's role. Barrie was good for us down the stretch and into playoffs, but if Makar can fill EJ's shoes, Barrie's role doesn't need to change at all. You could argue that Barrie will lose PP1 time, but I would argue that Makar should come into PP1 at the expense of Wilson/Kerfoot/Jost/Compher rather than Barrie.

Barrie isn't suddenly getting bad at hockey. He is still worth what he has proven up to this point. A new player coming into the league has no bearing on Barrie's skill or value. If Barrie becomes obsolete in a year or two, move him then.

Again, no.

Sometimes it feels like there are members here that genuinely think 9296 would be just as good if they were still playing in front of Hejda/Zanon/Guenin. Weird how the offence picked up when the defence quit sucking.

Even after watching Makar in the playoffs we're going to keep mischaracterizing him? Really?

Do you hate Yandle's contract as well? He seems like the comparable that makes the most sense. He's making 6.35 (8.7% of the cap when signed). Under an 83M cap that is 7.22, 85M cap it's 7.39.

Again, we have no reason to believe this.

If your whole argument is based on the assumption that Barrie's play will fall off a cliff after he starts to play more sheltered minutes then I don't know what to say to you.

If your main concern is paying too much for a guy that won't be filling the same role any more I'd tell you to look a little up and to the right, over Barrie's shoulder, at EJ who's hoping nobody notices he's getting paid to do a lot of things he isn't capable of any more.

No, Barrie’s role doesn’t NEED to change, but we’re going to want it to with what we expect from Makar, and we already started seeing it over the last 5 games of the sharks series.

I’m not saying Barrie is suddenly bad at hockey. I recognize is a very good offensive defenseman. But with the addition of Makar, we are a different team than we were in the past, which has ramifications and will impact Barrie.

Your argument about trading Barrie when he’s obsolete is extremely short sighted. No team will want that contract once it kicks in, forcing us to retain a significant amount. Look at Shattenkirk whose contract has quickly turned into negative value. That’s what you’ll be saddled with, but for much longer, especially as Barrie’s numbers decrease as he gets less first line/first PP minutes.

No, I don’t expect or want to have Guenin/Hejda types. But that doesn’t mean you lock the team in on a bad bloated (probably 6-8 year) contract to try and avoid that. I’ve already said that if we lose Barrie that we will need to add someone, whether it’s byram, Trouba, Spurgeon or a whole bunch of other guys.

Truthfully, I don’t hate the Yandle deal. But everything needs to be viewed in context. At that time, the panthers were coming off their 1st playoffs in 4 years and only 2nd playoffs in 16 years. It looked like they were a piece or 2 away from really contending and Brian Campbell was on his last legs. Most importantly, they had no one on their roster named Cale Salad Makar who was about to become the team’s PPQB.

Also, $$ wise, yandle signed a free agent deal (although technically his rights were traded prior to FA), meaning that he signed for top dollar. So while $7.25 was the exact amount I said was FMV for Tyson earlier, I also said that I expect him to give some sort of discount and won’t go above $7m. Even so, I still have reservations about giving him that much, especially for anything longer than 5 years.

Lastly, yes, EJ is a bit concerning. I do think he was really hurt (when is he not), especially in playoffs. Hopefully he regains form, but that contract only has 4 more seasons and isn’t woeful at $6m. Regardless, you don’t then double down and compound your problem by tying up $15m in EJ + Barrie.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Lmao. What a load of nonsense. Not surprising, though.

Why is it nonsense?

I showed you the back ends of the top teams like St. Louis, Winnipeg, Nashville, TB and the back ends of the cup winning teams that Detroit, LA and Chicago had. None of them had 3 undersized offensive defensemen who are liabilities defensively. Christ, they didn't even have 2.

That stuff might work in the regular season but it will never work in a physical 7 game series. Never.

And again, for the 10th time, no-one can show me who can kill penalties effectively with Girard, Barrie and Makar on the team.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Maybe he’s not taking Tyson’s spot next year, but Barrie and his contract will be on the team for at least 6 more years. I fully expect Makar to take his spot by the 2020 season right as that extension kicks in. Also, you’re right, he is one of the best PP Dmen in the league. Only problem is you’re completely overlooking all other facets of the game.

The total absence of any PK time is absolutely An indictment on his defensive abilities (or lack thereof). Of the 30+ highest paid Dmen in the league, Barrie is by far the worst defensively, with only Yandle and Shattenkirk being close. Even those guys play the PK 4x as much as Barrie does.

Also, if Girard and Makar don’t play PK, that means that we’re down to 3 PKers. What happens when one of those guys goes to the box? Do we then just play the other 2 Dmen for the full 2 minutes?

You laugh at people that consider Barrie one dimensional. Well I laugh at people who are too big Homers to admit or realize that their favorite player’s got flaws or that he isnt Bobby Orr.

Nice post.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Dater claims a 40% chance of Avs landing Panarin.

If Avs draft a forward they will have a core of Girard, Makar, Zadorov, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Draft Pick, Panarin for at least the next half decade, probably longer. How bout' them apples.

There’s more than a 40% (and by that I mean 100%) chance that he’s trying to drum up interest and get followers so someone hires him. There’s no way Panarin comes here unfortunately.

Really hope I’m f***ing wrong. I’ll even join @cgf on the “sign Barrie to $9m” train just for shits if it happens. I’ll be that excited.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016

Last I checked Nemeth killed penalties and is a UFA for us this year and played as a 7th dman when Makar came up. So unless we re-sign Nemeth and carry 7 dmen this year we have some issues.

So who are the 4 guys to play on the PK next year out of this group?

Makar
Girard
Barrie
Cole
EJ
Zadorov

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Last I checked Nemeth killed penalties and is a UFA for us this year and played as a 7th dman when Makar came up. So unless we re-sign Nemeth and carry 7 dmen this year we have some issues.

So who are the 4 guys to play on the PK next year out of this group?

Makar
Girard
Barrie
Cole
EJ
Zadorov
Girard has killed penalties for us when one of the main guys gets a penalty. He's quite solid fundamentally when it comes to defense, even if his size isn't ideal he still reads the play very well and uses excellent body positioning to negate some (not all) of that size deficiency. Makar could do some of that too, he wouldn't be the only 1D in the league to play in all situations.

Reactions: Barklez

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Girard has killed penalties for us when one of the main guys gets a penalty. He's quite solid fundamentally when it comes to defense, even if his size isn't ideal he still reads the play very well and uses excellent body positioning to negate some (not all) of that size deficiency. Makar could do some of that too, he wouldn't be the only 1D in the league to play in all situations.

You and your facts :rolleyes:

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016

No. Just no.

Girard and Makar cannot kill penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad