Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXX|6'3" or You Don't Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Your only argument here is points, despite RNH having a higher scoring percentage per game. You make it seem like that’s the only part of the game that matters and ignore everything else.

You clearly anticipated my argument about Barrie’s defensive abilities (or lack thereof), but chose to completely discount/ignore that aspect. RNH is a good (but not great) 2 way forward that’s at least average defensively and good enough to play PK consistently. Barrie however, is below average defensively (to put it nicely).

In a vacuum, sure Barrie and RNH are similar in value. HOWEVER, as I’ve said before, the fact that Barrie’s in the last year of his deal is a key factor here. Barrie is going to ask for $8m+ from any new team he’s traded to, which significantly reduces his value.

But in reality, Barrie’s contract situation reduces his value, resulting in a situation where the Avs would probably have to add to Barrie in order to return RNH.

Nugent-Hopkins has two years left versus Barrie’s one.

That doesn’t tarnish Barrie’s value much at all, considering how rare offensive defensemen are.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I would love to have Zbad, Just not sure we’d be able to get him for anything less than 4oa (which I would consider depending on the circumstances).

The thing with the Rangers though is - how are they going to move forward? If they sign Panarin then obviously they’re not rebuilding and they’re going for it.

But if they don’t sign Panarin, I’d argue their best move would be to trade Zbad and anyone 25+ That’s worth anything for picks/prospects.

Rangers aren't trading Zibanejad. He's 26 years old, and making $5.3 mil for the next 3 seasons. Teams don't trade guys like that.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Your only argument here is points, despite RNH having a higher scoring percentage per game. You make it seem like that’s the only part of the game that matters and ignore everything else.

You clearly anticipated my argument about Barrie’s defensive abilities (or lack thereof), but chose to completely discount/ignore that aspect. RNH is a good (but not great) 2 way forward that’s at least average defensively and good enough to play PK consistently. Barrie however, is below average defensively (to put it nicely).

In a vacuum, sure Barrie and RNH are similar in value. HOWEVER, as I’ve said before, the fact that Barrie’s in the last year of his deal is a key factor here. Barrie is going to ask for $8m+ from any new team he’s traded to, which significantly reduces his value.

But in reality, Barrie’s contract situation reduces his value, resulting in a situation where the Avs would probably have to add to Barrie in order to return RNH.

No, they are not.

I usually refrain from participating in these Barrie discussions, but some of what I've read the last few days/weeks are just plain laughable.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Rangers aren't trading Zibanejad. He's 26 years old, and making $5.3 mil for the next 3 seasons. Teams don't trade guys like that.

Agreed. They’d be stupid to trade him. As I said the only way we could really have a chance at him is if we send 4oa.

Reactions: ibengals

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Nugent-Hopkins has two years left versus Barrie’s one.

That doesn’t tarnish Barrie’s value much at all, considering how rare offensive defensemen are.

Not sure if tarnish is the right word. But yes, that does reduce his value. That isn’t a Barrie-specific point either. It reduces virtually everyone’s value and Barrie’s “rarity” as an offensive dman does nothing to negate that.

Also, while Barrie’s a good offensive dman, a lot of other decent to good (offensively capable) Dmen would get a boost from being force fed prime offensive zone minutes, PP1 minutes, and minutes with MacK, resulting in similar point totals to Barrie.

I’m not saying every dman would or that there’s a plethora of Dmen that would, but playing in those situations would significantly boost anyone’s point totals.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
No, they are not.

I usually refrain from participating in these Barrie discussions, but some of what I've read the last few days/weeks are just plain laughable.

Please do explain.

It’s like every pro-Tyson person on here believes he’s Bobby Orr reincarnated.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Out of curiosity, what are the Avs going to be trading in order to get a clear upgrade on Soderberg at 2C (I won't say Jost because I don't believe he'll end up being in the discussion at that spot)?

Teams don't typically give away 2C's (Buffalo and Colorado aside, with regards to ROR). So we'd either be looking at some sort of unproven player in that position (of which we have an abundance of that), someone who's out of place in that role (of which we have an abundance of that), or an overpaid (and likely aging/declining) answer.

Now I'm not necessarily saying that it's "Hayes or bust", but there has to be consideration given to what it would cost the Avs to acquire someone if they feel that a Hayes contract is not in their best interest.
Personally with Hayes I'd ask him if he'd do a 2/3 year 7.5. Doubt he does it but Stastny did it with St Louis so maybe there's a chance there.

If we trade for a 2c we use our expendable futures to target someone like Kadri or possibly even Zib, Trocheck, Johnson/Miller ect. Like you say look for someone who is either in cap trouble and offer them help or a center who has been pushed down by depth.

I'd put any pick on the table but the fourth only goes for a high end center. A combination or our first, Meloche, Bowers, Greer, Kerfoot, Kaut ect.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Call me crazy, but I think there’s a chance Karlsson ends up in Toronto.

They’re trying to move Zaitsev. Marner’s contract is going to cause problems. Karlsson’s wife apparently had a real hard time being away from Ottawa. I could totally see them trading Marner for an abundance of young riches and signing EK to a contract less than market value so he can move closer to Ottawa.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Call me crazy, but I think there’s a chance Karlsson ends up in Toronto.

They’re trying to move Zaitsev. Marner’s contract is going to cause problems. Karlsson’s wife apparently had a real hard time being away from Ottawa. I could totally see them trading Marner for an abundance of young riches and signing EK to a contract less than market value so he can move closer to Ottawa.
I think they’re trying to move Zaitsev, so they can free up some money to sign Marner. That would be crazy if Karlsson signed with the Leafs, though.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

Well, as i guessed, so RNH is ultimately better at playing defense than Barrie in your opinion. Probably because he plays PK "consistently", while Barrie does not.
I guess the fact Edmonton are consistenly shit at killing penalties (this year second worst, last year 25th) is irrelevant, and if it is not, than it has nothing to do with RNH, right? Nor his 37 percent face-off win percentage on PK...totally awesome, cant wait to have him to kill some penalty as Av. Exactly what is needed.

Finally, you said yourself RNH is 2 years from UFA himself. Do you think he is somehow going to ask less than Barrie then? And it wont significantly reduce his value?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think they’re trying to move Zaitsev, so they can free up some money to sign Marner. That would be crazy if Karlsson signed with the Leafs, though.
Marner is definitely priority number 1, but if they move Zaitsev it means they’ll lose Zaitsev, Gardiner and Dermott for the first chunk of the season with none of their young D ready to step in. Considering how bad their D was last year I can’t imagine how poor it will look next season. Have to think they have some plan in place.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Marner is definitely priority number 1, but if they move Zaitsev it means they’ll lose Zaitsev, Gardiner and Dermott for the first chunk of the season with none of their young D ready to step in. Considering how bad their D was last year I can’t imagine how poor it will look next season. Have to think they have some plan in place.

Is this the part where someone proposes Barrie for Nylander + Zaitzev? :D :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad