Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVIII|Sakic Did Nothing Again vs. Sakic Waits Patiently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Keep it simple. Whichever of Turcotte or Byram makes it past Chicago should be our pick. I hear and respect the calls for Cozens, Dach, Zegras or even Podkolzin and I can (and likely will) convince myself any of those guys are a good choice should we make it but it just seems either Turcotte or Byram would be a no brainer choice. It’s the same debate happening on the Chicago forum right now.

For me it’s less automatic but the same sentiment. Stylistically Turcotte is likely the best complement as a 2C but I’m tempted to swing for a second (1b) 1C in Zegras or Dach as well. Whoever it ends up being there will be plenty to be positive about.

However if drafting Pod were to have a similar effect around here as dropping to 4OA in the lottery did, I’m all for that.

Reactions: avsfan09 and cgf

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I think our pick at #16 will be much harder than #4.

I think at 16 at least one player falls that wasn’t expected. If you can complement the 4OA with a high-end F or D (whichever you didn’t take the first go around) do it, or if Knight’s there and you think that’s best value, take him.

There may be more options seemingly at 16 but I’m personally more concerned someone picking 5-10 makes us look bad than whoever we get at 16.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Turcotte’s upside gets short shrift just because he plays a 200’ game with a ridiculous motor. He’s every bit the potential to be a #1 center that Zegras or Dach has IMO but with a super safe 2C floor. This kid is relentless on the ice. The only reason for passing on him is if you think his style is going to lead to future injury issues. But I’ll say this, he’s not big but he’s thick and strong and personally I would not let those concerns knock me off him as the choice.

Byram needs little explanation imo. Our blue line outlook is nice but with Makar, Sam and Byram - it’s got the Cup winning blue line upside.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Podkolzin has always been overrated in the Top 5.

His supporters are complete idiots to think COL would risk their choice at 4th OA. I expect him to fall towards the 8-12 range before a team risks their choice.
Podkolzin is just simply too risky to pick that high. There are too many red flags.

He'll drop, probably mid first round like Tarasenko. Not saying the two are comparible, talent wise. But Tarasenko was viewed as a top 7 pick who fell to 16. Could see a similar drop for Podkolzin. My prediction is he goes between 12-18 overall.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I mean we all politely put up with you rambling your nonsense, would a modicum of respect kill you?

I’ve and few others put up with the same crap preaching Byram, Turcotte and Cozens.

There never was anything supportive to justify his high ranking. As we approach the draft, his ranking continues to fade as hype was based mostly on the Hlinka Tourney. He hasn’t even played more than 15 games for any team this year. Too risky for a Top 10 pick.

It’ll be fortunate on being selected in the Top 10, so where are the same individuals that pushed their agenda on Podkolzin?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Podkolzin is just simply too risky to pick that high. There are too many red flags.

He'll drop, probably mid first round like Tarasenko. Not saying the two are comparible, talent wise. But Tarasenko was viewed as a top 7 pick who fell to 16. Could see a similar drop for Podkolzin. My prediction is he goes between 12-18 overall.

I completely agree, except the range would likely be 8-12. A team might take a chance on this boom/bust pick could be the next superstar.

Tarasenko is the common comparison and even this is not accurate. He was staying in Russia for 2 years (actually 2.5 years) which is the only similarly. He was playing regularly in the KHL for 2 full seasons prior to being drafted. There is a tangible history to evaluate his abilities against the best Mens players in the country.

Podkolzin bounced around multiple teams and leagues, many were lower levels or played limited ice time. This is not to suggest he doesn’t have any skills, otherwise, NHL Scouts would have discovered his flaws. It just more difficult when there is so little opportunity to evaluate his abilities.

OxfordAvs

May 12, 2019
What are everyone's thoughts on possibly offer-sheeting a guy like Timo Meier? San Jose is in a cap crunch, especially if they are trying to resign EK65. If we were able to get him in the $6-8.5m range he would cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder, which the would not hurt the Avs all that much considering that they have the OTT 1st and 3rd this year?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I’ve and few others put up with the same crap preaching Byram, Turcotte and Cozens.

There never was anything supportive to justify his high ranking. As we approach the draft, his ranking continues to fade as hype was based mostly on the Hlinka Tourney. He hasn’t even played more than 15 games for any team this year. Too risky for a Top 10 pick.

It’ll be fortunate on being selected in the Top 10, so where are the same individuals that pushed their agenda on Podkolzin?

I mean, besides the skill and toolset that was obvious enough to pro scouts to put him in contention at the top of their lists.

His ranking is fading to where he’s being projected to drop to, not to necessarily where his potential would place him.

You’ve been told before, he bounced his way up the leagues as he adapted to each in turn and his international participation was prioritized over domestic play. The small sample size in each competition reflects little to nothing about him as a prospect at worst and could and has been argued to be viewed as a positive.

He’s as risky IMO as a lot of the 3-10 guys but is likely locked in at being 2(+) years away and is a winger.

If you want reasons for the Avs to pass on him, use those.

Reactions: cgf

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Read Chambers article in the Post today and found it very depressing. While he isn't saying it is what the Avs exact plans are, he has them basically coming to camp with the same crop of forwards as this year minus Ghetto, Wilson, Brassard and possibly Bourque. He slots in Greer, Dries, O'Connor, Kamanev and Toninato. Ugh, that sounds worse secondary scoring-wise than this year. He speculates cap money being needed to retain other players as being a reason more moves aren't anticipated. Don't see them taking a full step forward next year with that group of forwards. He also has them letting Nemo go and replacing him with Graves. Not sure that is a step forward either. No sense getting all worked up now but I hope they have more in mind than that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I mean, besides the skill and toolset that was obvious enough to pro scouts to put him in contention at the top of their lists.

His ranking is fading to where he’s being projected to drop to, not to necessarily where his potential would place him.

You’ve been told before, he bounced his way up the leagues as he adapted to each in turn and his international participation was prioritized over domestic play. The small sample size in each competition reflects little to nothing about him as a prospect at worst and could and has been argued to be viewed as a positive.

He’s as risky IMO as a lot of the 3-10 guys but is likely locked in at being 2(+) years away and is a winger.

If you want reasons for the Avs to pass on him, use those.

I have or you weren’t reading?

There is too little to support his selection being so high. I’ve commented to draft at at 16 or move to possibly 12, but not at 4.

Locked to the KHL is not a concern, but his inability to recreate his Hlinka success should be a concern.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What are everyone's thoughts on possibly offer-sheeting a guy like Timo Meier? San Jose is in a cap crunch, especially if they are trying to resign EK65. If we were able to get him in the $6-8.5m range he would cost us a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder, which the would not hurt the Avs all that much considering that they have the OTT 1st and 3rd this year?

Won’t happen. Offer sheets never happen and Meier will be resigned pretty easily.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

It’ll never happen.

Offer Sheet compensation are prorated to 5 years if more than 5 seasons

Offering $7M @ 7 years is equal to $9.8M per. This would be 2-1st, 1-2nd and 1-3rd.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Unless you've got receipts, no one has called you an idiot for preaching for those kids...so no, you literally have not :dunno:

PS if you're going to try to call me and TV out, it works better if you actually name us ;)

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia

I'd feel good taking him at 16 if he drops there. Take the risk. But I now feel we shouldn't touch him at 4

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
Read Chambers article in the Post today and found it very depressing. While he isn't saying it is what the Avs exact plans are, he has them basically coming to camp with the same crop of forwards as this year minus Ghetto, Wilson, Brassard and possibly Bourque. He slots in Greer, Dries, O'Connor, Kamanev and Toninato. Ugh, that sounds worse secondary scoring-wise than this year. He speculates cap money being needed to retain other players as being a reason more moves aren't anticipated. Don't see them taking a full step forward next year with that group of forwards. He also has them letting Nemo go and replacing him with Graves. Not sure that is a step forward either. No sense getting all worked up now but I hope they have more in mind than that.
I wouldn't hold my breath on the Avs doing nothing. They know they are close and have a lot of potential in the system - BSN also reported the Sakic has already been given the green light to spend $$$ - They also reported that the Avs are still interested in EK65, and bread man to name a few. I would be shocked if they didn't add a top 6 forward this offseason. I would say it's safe to assume Ghetto, Nemo, and Brass are gone, Wilson depends on what he wants and maybe the same for Bourque. Dries and Toninato are not NHL players on a stately cup winning team. Avs will need to be smart this year but they will have lots of options.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
TSN was saying with the injuries and the regular season they can see Karlsson having trouble matching Doughty’s 11 million per yesr

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The way I see it, Sakic has two additions to make no matter what... whether it’s through free agency or trade...

• 2nd line center
• 2nd/3rd line winger

Sure, we would like to have another roster tweak here or there, but these two moves are unavoidable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The way I see it, Sakic has two additions to make no matter what... whether it’s through free agency or trade...

• 2nd line center
• 2nd/3rd line winger

Sure, we would like to have another roster tweak here or there, but these two moves are unavoidable.

We need more than just a middle-6 winger if it's 2 & not 3 additions up front, IMO

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I mean, I wouldn’t believe anything that comes out from an Avs related best reporter. Dater is the closest to being “in touch” and even he’s just throwing stuff at the wall.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
For me it’s less automatic but the same sentiment. Stylistically Turcotte is likely the best complement as a 2C but I’m tempted to swing for a second (1b) 1C in Zegras or Dach as well. Whoever it ends up being there will be plenty to be positive about.

However if drafting Pod were to have a similar effect around here as dropping to 4OA in the lottery did, I’m all for that.

If it’s not Turcotte than I want them to swing for Zegras. He is top-tier skilled with creativity and vision to go with it. He’s also got a bit of that mean streak/chippy side that makes me think a bit of Giroux when I watch him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad