Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVIII|Sakic Did Nothing Again vs. Sakic Waits Patiently

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I don't think Marleau is going to accept a trade anywhere other than to the west coast. I also think the Leafs will keep Johnsson even if they have to take him to arbitration. He played well with Mathews.

We sent a 2nd to get Grubauer and we took on Orpik's contract. So I would think a 2nd would be worth Kapanen and Nathan Horton’s $5.3 contract.

RW- Kasperi Kapanen
Nathan Hortons 5.3m contract (1 more year)

For Avs 2nd round pick.

2nd year in a row we get a roster player from a struggling team against the cap.

Kapanen could play alongside MacKinnon and Landeskog and we can move Rantanen down to carry the 2nd line after we sign Ferland and trade Barrie for a 2C :)

Landeskog- Mack- Kapanen
Ferland- Barrie trade- Rantanen
Wilson- Jost- Compher
Nieto- Soda- Calvert

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Good article on Colin Wilson and how he's important for the room in the Athletic

kxgJTcH.png

I hope he comes back. He sure showed some nice chemistry. He is a perfect 3rd line player who can move up to the top 6 in a pinch.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We sent a 2nd to get Grubauer and we took on Orpik's contract. So I would think a 2nd would be worth Kapanen and Nathan Horton’s $5.3 contract.
How on earth did you equate the values of Grubauer, a 26 year old career back up goaltender with potential to be a starter, and Kapanen, a 22 year old that just scored more points than every Avalanche forward not named MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, or Soderberg?

Reactions: MarkT

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
How on earth did you equate the values of Grubauer, a 26 year old career back up goaltender with potential to be a starter, and Kapanen, a 22 year old that just scored more points than every Avalanche forward not named MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, or Soderberg?

Yes, quite right. Add Kerfoot to even out the value! :rolleyes: If they grouse some more then add Andrighetto. :naughty:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don't think Marleau is going to accept a trade anywhere other than to the west coast. I also think the Leafs will keep Johnsson even if they have to take him to arbitration. He played well with Mathews.

RW- Kasperi Kapanen

For Avs 2nd round pick.

2nd year in a row we get a roster player from a struggling team against the cap.

Kapanen could play alongside MacKinnon and Landeskog and we can move Rantanen down to carry the 2nd line after we sign Ferland and trade Barrie for a 2C :)

Landeskog- Mack- Kapanen
Wilson- Jost- Compher
Nieto- Soda- Calvert

Don’t believe a 2nd would get this done.

Leafs foremost need Cap Relief. Horton is on LTIR which is exempt as long as he doesn’t return. So there is no benefit, but could be helpful for teams trying to reach the Floor.

Marleau, Zaitsev or Nylander etc. are players they likely need to move.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I would be kinda of shocked if Wilson wasn't back on some kind of 2 year deal. He is a nice depth player. Who isn't a liability and works hard every shift. Without him and Calvert these playoffs would have been pretty short and Sakic know this. Got to have players who play hard and elevate their games during the playoffs. Wilson is one of these guys.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

RW- Kasperi Kapanen

For Avs 2nd round pick.

Landeskog- Mack- Kapanen
Wilson- Jost- Compher
Nieto- Soda- Calvert

Horton's is not the contract they need to move - he's LTIR.

Marleau's is the one they need to move.

And Colorado is not getting Marleau + Kapanen for a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I would be kinda of shocked if Wilson wasn't back on some kind of 2 year deal. He is a nice depth player. Who isn't a liability and works hard every shift. Without him and Calvert these playoffs would have been pretty short and Sakic know this. Got to have players who play hard and elevate their games during the playoffs. Wilson is one of these guys.
Exactly...

Need grinders in the playoffs, not just bunch of small offensive players. That's what Tampa had, bunch of smaller offensive minded players throughout their forward group, no grinders, that's why they didn't last in the playoffs.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Getting a good laugh at Leafs fans proposing a Barrie for Kadri swap. Calling Kadri a 30 goal, 60 point centre, and Barrie a 50 point defenseman.

James Neal is also a 30 goal winger. Value changes when you factor in Kadri had a terrible year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel there isn’t enough talk around the hockey world of how f***ed Toronto are from a cap perspective. We aren’t talking years down the road either. Major moves have to happen in Toronto this summer.

They have just 5 million in cap space with 6 players left to sign. Marner is one of those players.

Let’s say Marner gets an AAV of 11M. The leafs are now 6 million dollars OVER the cap with 5 other players to sign. 2 of those 5 scored 20 goals last year. They’re going to get a minimum of 3 million each which now puts you up to being 12 million dollars over the cap with 3 players still left to sign.

Then the icing on the cake is that their defense is laughably bad. They’re losing Gardiner who despite his defensive shortcomings is a monumental part of their back end. The Leafs are going to hurt without him. Plus Dermott is going to miss a chunk of the season.

The Leafs know they have to make a big move to add a good defenseman. That’s hard to come by. To top it off they’re already 12M+ over the cap. They have to shed likely 10-15 million in cap space while somehow finding a way to drastically improve their defense which is far worse looking than it was last year. It’ll be fun.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd take Wilson back as well. Health is a concern for him and so I wouldn't be going more than 2 years, 3 absolute max(And only if he took a sizable cap hit discount).

But when he's healthy he can contribute at a solid 15 Goal, 30-35 Point pace while also having a never quit motor and a real strong locker room presence. He can no doubt frustrate you at times because with the chances he seems to get you'd think he was a 25-30 goal guy. But that shouldn't deter us from keeping a quality 3rd line level player around.

I'd be looking at something like 2 years and 5.5M or 3 years and 6M. Any more for three years and I would wish him all the best, at 2 years I could maybe push to 2.85 or 2.9M but I dont think he's a 3M player with the healthy concerns and associated inconsistency.

Reactions: BKarchitect

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I feel there isn’t enough talk around the hockey world of how ****ed Toronto are from a cap perspective. We aren’t talking years down the road either. Major moves have to happen in Toronto this summer.

They have just 5 million in cap space with 6 players left to sign. Marner is one of those players.

Let’s say Marner gets an AAV of 11M. The leafs are now 6 million dollars OVER the cap with 5 other players to sign. 2 of those 5 scored 20 goals last year. They’re going to get a minimum of 3 million each which now puts you up to being 12 million dollars over the cap with 3 players still left to sign.

Then the icing on the cake is that their defense is laughably bad. They’re losing Gardiner who despite his defensive shortcomings is a monumental part of their back end. The Leafs are going to hurt without him. Plus Dermott is going to miss a chunk of the season.

The Leafs know they have to make a big move to add a good defenseman. That’s hard to come by. To top it off they’re already 12M+ over the cap. They have to shed likely 10-15 million in cap space while somehow finding a way to drastically improve their defense which is far worse looking than it was last year. It’ll be fun.
If they can figure out a way to deal Kadri, for futures and draft picks, that will help. But the fact is Marner will get a ton. I still think they need to dump Nylander as well, but not sure who they are going to get to take on that contract without some money coming back.

Don't think they were banking on Marner being their highest point getter last season and him having a legit argument to get paid 11M+ like Matthews and Tavares.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I feel there isn’t enough talk around the hockey world of how ****ed Toronto are from a cap perspective. We aren’t talking years down the road either. Major moves have to happen in Toronto this summer.

While I agree they are screwed... the ~5m includes Horton where 5.3m goes right onto LTIR on day 1. It will be a real pain to manage it well enough to be compliant on day 1, but shouldn't be impossible. So really ~10.5m. Though I expect them to move Horton's contract somewhere with a decent player/pick at the draft to give them more flexibility to exceed the cap this summer.

Read a tidbit that Marleau's signing bonus is paid July 1 and Dec 1... that will make it more difficult to dump in July.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So where would you guys value Kadri (not talking just from the Avs POV) and would Marleau move in the same trade or another one?

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
One overlooked aspect that must be addressed this off-season is face offs.

The team was bottom 5 in face off % in the regular season last year, and has no one it can really rely upon to win the big draws. I’m hoping whatever 2c we get this summer is at least above average at draws, although I feel like it’s going to be Hayes and he’s supposedly not that good at them.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Is there any scenario where NYR would swap #2 for #4 ++?
They need Kakko worse than we do. He will be their core pivot for primary scoring throughout his career. As a fanbase, we need to forget about Kakko. Let's draft the best two-way player with high offensive ability in the draft in Turcotte and call it a day.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why would the leafs want to trade Hortons contract?

So they can exceed the cap in the summer to re-sign players. When the offseason officially hits teams can go 10% above the cap. Which with where it will fall, they will be able to sign to around 90m. Horton takes up 5.3m of that since his LTIR is based upon his physical at training camp. So the Leafs can only sign about $15m in contracts right now... where Marner is likely to take 10 of that. So $5m to split between Kapanen, Johnsson, and whatever defesemen they bring in. So even if they got some sweetheart deals, they couldn't make them since they wouldn't be cap compliant. With Horton gone, they'd have 10m to split between those last players, and could take their time on a deal to ship out somebody else.

Reactions: MarkT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
While I agree they are screwed... the ~5m includes Horton where 5.3m goes right onto LTIR on day 1. It will be a real pain to manage it well enough to be compliant on day 1, but shouldn't be impossible. So really ~10.5m. Though I expect them to move Horton's contract somewhere with a decent player/pick at the draft to give them more flexibility to exceed the cap this summer.

Read a tidbit that Marleau's signing bonus is paid July 1 and Dec 1... that will make it more difficult to dump in July.
Forgot about Horton.

Still moves that have to be made. I don’t think they’re going to be looking to move any of their good contracts like everyone seems to suggest. Names like Hyman, Brown and Kadri keep being brought up but those are the exact types of contracts they need.

I’ve said plenty of times that I don’t think there’s any chance Melander makes it to the end of his contract as a leaf. Now I’m starting to think he may not make it through this offseason as a leaf. I think the first thing they look at is moving Marleau but his NMC and his salary will make that very tough. If they can’t make that happen I think Nylander goes.

They absolutely have to add a defenseman. Unless they want to keep losing in round 1.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wonder what the major injuries to Pilut and Dermott will do to the trade/signing market for defensemen this upcoming offseason (if anything). Buffalo will be more reluctant to move Ristolainen now, and I've NO idea what Toronto is going to do at this point.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I've read a lot of people discussing acquiring Kadri, Tyler Johnsson and Zucker, a bit of Ziba ad Kreider, but nothibng about Rackell. Anaheim just hit a wall and indicated a willingness to re-tool by trading Montour for picks/prospects. Perry and Kesler are pasttheir prime and Getzlaf getting there. Rackell is only 26, but by the time they rebuild he will start being too old so it would make sense for them to trade him now.

What do you think about a deal centered over 16th OA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad