Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVII|Crosby+MacK = Tim's Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No. Just make the damn pick. I've read rumblings the Canucks might be interested in jumping up and might offer something surrounding Juolevi and a roster player...nah. You would EXPECT the Avs to be a high-end team after this year, therefore their chances of adding high-end talent through the draft will be exponentially more difficult, especially if they sell the occasional first-rounder to beef up the roster. This pick ended up being higher than anyone had any right to expect. Don't parlay it into lesser pieces.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Either keep #4 and chose from the pick of the draft, or just trade the pick outright in the extremely unlikely event a team is interested in moving a #1 centre for something involving it. Trading back is a terrible idea, especially since the Avs are pretty miserable at drafting in the later rounds, which makes collecting more picks less appealing...particularly given the Avs already have a second first and the first pick in the third round.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Speaking of trading for a C...Zbad for Jost & our 1st after the way Tyson has come on to finish this season? :naughty:

Definitely think #4 has to be on the table to get New York to even contemplate it. Zibanejad is about to be 27...right handed, 6'2, just put up 30 goals and 74 points, 3 more years at 5.3 million. Definitely think they'll just keep the guy anyways, he's their #1 centre and they'll want to get back to the playoffs sooner rather than later.

Reactions: MarkT

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Definitely think #4 has to be on the table to get New York to even contemplate it. Zibanejad is about to be 27...right handed, 6'2, just put up 30 goals and 74 points, 3 more years at 5.3 million. Definitely think they'll just keep the guy anyways, he's their #1 centre and they'll want to get back to the playoffs sooner rather than later.

True, but...they're committed to a rebuild, one they've already got some interesting young centers for, Zibby has a NTC that's about to kick in, and Dolan is too distracted with the knicks to care about them actually rebuilding. I like Zibby a lot, but he feels more like a #10 + A/low-A prospect kinda guy at best, rather than a 4th overall kinda guy. And I can definitely see Gorton being more interested in those futures, while bottoming out for another year, before starting their push...as I don't think he's done selling.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs44

May 16, 2011
True, but...they're committed to a rebuild, one they've already got some interesting young centers for, Zibby has a NTC that's about to kick in, and Dolan is too distracted with the knicks to care about them actually rebuilding. I like Zibby a lot, but he feels more like a #10 + A/low-A prospect kinda guy at best, rather than a 4th overall kinda guy. And I can definitely see Gorton being more interested in those futures, while bottoming out for another year, before starting their push...as I don't think he's done selling.

We'll see what happens this offseason, but I think the Rangers will begin to move in the opposite direction. I think they'll start bringing more prospects into the lineup, and having an established #1 there to babysit the likes of Kakko is pretty invaluable for a rebuild. I personally expect the Rangers to go out and see if they can throw money at Panarin or Karlsson this offseason.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We'll see what happens this offseason, but I think the Rangers will begin to move in the opposite direction. I think they'll start bringing more prospects into the lineup, and having an established #1 there to babysit the likes of Kakko is pretty invaluable for a rebuild. I personally expect the Rangers to go out and see if they can throw money at Panarin or Karlsson this offseason.

They'll throw their money around because that's what happens during the summers, but even if they land a big fish I think they sell for one more year. Though you're right that Kakko may accelerate the timeline.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Sakic can pull off another Grubauer/Orpik deal to get J.T. Miller, I'd be all for it. Callahan has a $5.8M cap hit for one more year. If he gets bought out the cap hits are $2.67M in 19-20 and then $1.57M in 20-21.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Callahan is going to end up in Buffalo this summer, and he won't be as expensive to offload as you might think.... Think Callahan + Serg + Palat/Miller for Risto +

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Callahan is going to end up in Buffalo this summer, and he won't be as expensive to offload as you might think.... Think Callahan + Serg + Palat/Miller for Risto +

Risto in Tampa honestly sounds like a fantastic fit.

IMO Risto will still be a big disappointment, but at least Tampa has the ability to shelter him a bit. Just not a fan of that guy at all.

That Tampa blueline may look completely different next season. Only returnees are Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
IMO Risto will still be a big disappointment, but at least Tampa has the ability to shelter him a bit. Just not a fan of that guy at all.

That Tampa blueline may look completely different next season. Only returnees are Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev.

I like Risto’s skill set a lot but think he just can’t be the 1D and be effective. In Tampa he’d either get to play with Hedman or McD and wouldn’t have to worry about carrying his pairing at all. He’d be more free to play an offensive role where he’s best. If there’s anywhere he’d work out well it’d be Tampa.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like Risto’s skill set a lot but think he just can’t be the 1D and be effective. In Tampa he’d either get to play with Hedman or McD and wouldn’t have to worry about carrying his pairing at all. He’d be more free to play an offensive role where he’s best. If there’s anywhere he’d work out well it’d be Tampa.

I just see so much Marty Skoula in his game. All the talent and physical tools, but no hockey sense whatsoever. Bad decision after bad decision after bad decision.

But you're right, he's had to play way over his head because Buffalo is...Buffalo. MAYBE a change of scenery playing a depth role will lead to him finally finding his place.

Reactions: cgf

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I honestly still think Puljujarvi desperately needs a change of scenery and I don't think he's a bust yet.

Thoughts on Meloche+ for Poolparty?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I honestly still think Puljujarvi desperately needs a change of scenery and I don't think he's a bust yet.

No reason to do that if you're the Oilers.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No. A pickup of Puljujärvi at this point would be akin to the pickup of Yakupov last season.

And I realize Meloche doesn't have a ton of upside but he's either going to fill out depth on the Avs or play a major role on the Eagles next season. I don't think that's worth using him for a long-shot maybe player.

Not sure what you're seeing...he's been a disaster in the NHL thus far and hasn't shown much, if any, willingness to change up his game. I think this saga ultimately ends like it did with Yak, with the player returning to Europe.

Reactions: UncleRisto and cgf

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No. A pickup of Puljujärvi at this point would be akin to the pickup of Yakupov last season.

And I realize Meloche doesn't have a ton of upside but he's either going to fill out depth on the Avs or play a major role on the Eagles next season. I don't think that's worth using him for a long-shot maybe player.

Not sure what you're seeing...he's been a disaster in the NHL thus far and hasn't shown much, if any, willingness to change up his game. I think this saga ultimately ends like it did with Yak, with the player returning to Europe.

Completely different situations. Plus Poolparty can still be played in the AHL and earn a call-up, which is what i'm seeing. Dude has talent and has shown glimpse of it, he just needs to rebuild his confidence up and have good support around him. Everyone wrote off Dylan Strome, and now he's making them eat crow.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Completely different situations. Plus Poolparty can still be played in the AHL and earn a call-up, which is what i'm seeing. Dude has talent and has shown glimpse of it, he just needs to rebuild his confidence up and have good support around him. Everyone wrote off Dylan Strome, and now he's making them eat crow.

Is he really though?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Is he really though?

51 points in 58 games as a 22 year old, yup.

You can call him a passenger or getting carried, but at the end of the day he's going to be a 60+ point #2 center that has chemistry with skilled players like Kane and Debrincat.

Complete sidenote.. holy shit, I had no idea Erik Gustafsson got 60 points this year, 6th in scoring for defenseman... that's insane for a player that i've barely heard anyone talk about.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
51 points in 58 games as a 22 year old, yup.

You can call him a passenger or getting carried, but at the end of the day he's going to be a 60+ point #2 center that has chemistry with skilled players like Kane and Debrincat.

Complete sidenote.. holy ****, I had no idea Erik Gustafsson got 60 points this year, 6th in scoring for defenseman... that's insane for a player that i've barely heard anyone talk about.

Wouldn't be the first player to produce good #s for not-even-a-full season, while riding shotgun to one of the most talented players in the league & a young studmuffin :dunno:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wouldn't be the first player to produce good #s for not-even-a-full season, while riding shotgun to one of the most talented players in the league & a young studmuffin :dunno:

I'm happy to make a bet he'll score 50+ points next season, I know you've already written off Strome as a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad