Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The one team I would try and flip Z to would be the leafs for Kapenen.

I will probably get boo'd out of the building for that but Kapenen would be a great addition.

I'd not trade Z for Kapanen, who's a 3rd liner on a good team.

It's safe to say that if Z is traded no one will like the return.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The one team I would try and flip Z to would be the leafs for Kapenen.

I will probably get boo'd out of the building for that but Kapenen would be a great addition.

haha yeah but who wouldn't you trade though? You throw out a new trade idea every day lol

Reactions: Foppberg

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Someone take Alzner. I believe in a rebound he's only 30

Edit: Eh, nevermind. He can't even open jars anymore

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Alzner sucks. One of the worst contract in the NHL.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
For some reason my 'down' opinions on Z, Jost, and Makar get latched onto hard around here... a

Volume of posts, your name is attached to a lot of the conversations around them. If anyone brings up a long term Z extension you're there to mention why it isn't a good idea. It's a discussion board, kinda expected, but that's why.

TBH, I don't think many people have a high opinion of Jost, at least enough to warrant lumping him alongside of expectations Makar has. 50-60 point center for Jost would be nice, that's what I expect. More would be surprising, not sure he's physically gifted enough nor thinks the game fast enough to warrant more.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It should be pretty obvious I play some devil's advocate. I can state over and over that I think the Avs should wait on a Z deal until they are forced (and I have done that a lot), but when I state one thing about how it can make sense in the situation from an org's perspective it gets latched onto.

For some reason my 'down' opinions on Z, Jost, and Makar get latched onto hard around here... and I'm not really 'down' on any of them. I see writing on the wall with Z, but I keep saying give it time. With Jost and Makar, I'm down because I don't see Selke and Norris in the future and am more conservative on their projections.

Yeah lol, I'll have to keep that in mind regarding you being devils advocate. No one avoids their reputations around here based on certain subjects though. Hell some sections get judged completely based on the most random wild hot takes regarding a subject.

One person throws out a trade Barrie because Makar is coming hot take, and now everyone who is willing trade him is doing so because Makar can replace him instantly lol.

Nature of the beast

Reactions: henchman21

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Volume of posts, your name is attached to a lot of the conversations around them. If anyone brings up a long term Z extension you're there to mention why it isn't a good idea. It's a discussion board, kinda expected, but that's why.

TBH, I don't think many people have a high opinion of Jost, at least enough to warrant lumping him alongside of expectations Makar has. 50-60 point center for Jost would be nice, that's what I expect. More would be surprising, not sure he's physically gifted enough nor thinks the game fast enough to warrant more.

I'm not even sure Jost is that as a center. Well unless scoring continues rise and #2Cs are PPG, and #3Cs are putting up 50-60 points on the regular.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It should be pretty obvious I play some devil's advocate. I can state over and over that I think the Avs should wait on a Z deal until they are forced (and I have done that a lot), but when I state one thing about how it can make sense in the situation from an org's perspective it gets latched onto.

For some reason my 'down' opinions on Z, Jost, and Makar get latched onto hard around here... and I'm not really 'down' on any of them. I see writing on the wall with Z, but I keep saying give it time. With Jost and Makar, I'm down because I don't see Selke and Norris in the future and am more conservative on their projections.

Can't say I've ever heard or seen people making Selke/Norris expectations. If Jost can become a 50ish point winger/center with solid defense, and Makar a legit top pairing guy, awesome.

Reactions: Bender

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Very well could be... I just know it has latched on to some so much that it gets brought up at a drop of a hat by some. To the point where ignore becomes a necessity on a select few.

I could dig up the posts, but basically my thought of Jost being more of a winger while scoring around the same was blasphemy. Personally, I could never see that as being a bad thing for any player outside the top 5 picks... but there were and are some real high opinions of Jost around here.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don’t think anyone here was projecting Jost to be a selke level guy, but there were some high expectations. I remember people saying 70 pts and stuff like that, which is pretty high expectations for anyone really.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Did someone say Hot Cakes???
american-hotcakes-98829-1.jpeg

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I just remembered meeting a pro photographer who did quite a bit of commercial food work like this and told me that none of the food prepared for commercials was edible in the slightest. He even mentioned the motor oil thing with pancakes now that I think about it.

Thanks for reminding me of that guy. He was a bit of a douche, but knowledgeable.

Probably time to take this thread back to talking about the Avs :laugh:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Z is/is not terrible
Barrie needs to be re-signed/traded
Jost is a bust/give him time

These discussions will continue until the heat death of the universe.

Answer to all questions:

Zadorov is amazing. He is a core part of our team. He is always improving. Love him.
Barrie does NOT need to be traded. He fits here. He achieves here. Why fix what isn't broken?
Jost is getting better. Originally I thought he needed more Rantanen type time in the AHL, but he's getting much better.

IF you can afford it cap wise, and you only need to give up picks (and supplemtary players), ADDING a guy like Nylander for that second line would be okay.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

The issue I have is who can fill Z's physical role on the Avs. EJ? Well, he's the next most physical D-man. Definitely not Girard, Barrie or Nemeth (too fragile). Cole's physicality resulted in him being tossed. Z's brain farts admittedly try one's patience. And he may not make top pair but I just see no one else filling the physical role that Z does. If we're talking about growing into a role then perhaps that's one reason why I'm reluctant to give up on him. Z is a lot more serviceable now as a D-man than when the Avs first acquired him. And his play at the end of last season showed that he is quite capable, especially since the Avs didn't have a lot of other options. That alone makes the effort to develop him worth it. It may be that Z will top out as a second pair D-man and I'm good with that. But I have also seen him literally take over a game against the Jets. We're not even one-third of the way through the season yet.

You may have a point from a contractual standpoint as well as with league expansion. I haven't considered either of those factors in whether to retain Z or seek to trade him. But in terms of development? Let's be patient.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
A player who hasn’t tracked as an organization has thought they would and who’s role might be limited in the future will, rightfully, have their future questioned within the organization. Z is at that point in the timeline and hasn’t solidified himself to the point where the organization has a good answer to what he will be for the future of the team. I’m not advocating a trade, just saying that Z is at a typical spot and situation where trades happen for young players.

People can look back, but I was once VERY high on Z. I thought he was a sure bet 2/3... with upside for more. Even during his first stretches of inconsistency I was high on him. Evaluations are not static though and they can vary and change. I seem lower on Z simply because I don’t see him as a high end player anymore. I think he is an inconsistent 4/5 right now that leaves you always wanting more overall because the physical talent is there. I think there is more upside left in him, but I can’t see him as ever more than a 3/4 and that would require his hockey IQ to get significantly better. Which I’d say is risky. People can call me down on him, but I’d say I’m being realistic.
Z's big hit alone the other night makes him valuable. Having the intimidation factor for playoff hockey is huge

Reactions: Patagonia

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
The issue I have is who can fill Z's physical role on the Avs. EJ? Well, he's the next most physical D-man. Definitely not Girard, Barrie or Nemeth (too fragile). Cole's physicality resulted in him being tossed. Z's brain farts admittedly try one's patience. And he may not make top pair but I just see no one else filling the physical role that Z does. If we're talking about growing into a role then perhaps that's one reason why I'm reluctant to give up on him. Z is a lot more serviceable now as a D-man than when the Avs first acquired him. And his play at the end of last season showed that he is quite capable, especially since the Avs didn't have a lot of other options. That alone makes the effort to develop him worth it. It may be that Z will top out as a second pair D-man and I'm good with that. But I have also seen him literally take over a game against the Jets. We're not even one-third of the way through the season yet.

You may have a point from a contractual standpoint as well as with league expansion. I haven't considered either of those factors in whether to retain Z or seek to trade him. But in terms of development? Let's be patient.

Nemeth is gritty. He's especially sound defensively. EJ is most certainly gritty. Zadorov is to the point of being intimidating. Cole is very physical.
Just because Girard is small(ish), doesn't mean he can't be strong, and I think he is in those puck battles. I think for his size, he's quite strong and determined to be honest.

Barrie, he's not there to destroy opponents defensively. He plays his role, and he does it at an elite level.

I love our mix of skill and grit on the backend mate. We look amazing atm.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Nemeth is gritty. He's especially sound defensively. EJ is most certainly gritty. Zadorov is to the point of being intimidating. Cole is very physical.
Just because Girard is small(ish), doesn't mean he can't be strong, and I think he is in those puck battles. I think for his size, he's quite strong and determined to be honest.

Barrie, he's not there to destroy opponents defensively. He plays his role, and he does it at an elite level.

I love our mix of skill and grit on the backend mate. We look amazing atm.

I agree with your assessment for the most part SE. However, I'd upgrade on Nemeth and Barberio if given the opportunity. That said, the turnaround began once the Avs acquired Nemeth. That should tell everyone just how far the Avs D has come in the last couple of seasons.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I agree with your assessment for the most part SE. However, I'd upgrade on Nemeth and Barberio if given the opportunity. That said, the turnaround began once the Avs acquired Nemeth. That should tell everyone just how far the Avs D has come in the last couple of seasons.

Insert Timmins (Nemeth), Makar (Barberio).

Johnson, Zadorov, Barrie, Makar, Timmins, Girard and Cole.

Dear lord. Look at that defensive group ! Out-STANDING !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad