Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Here's what we need:

Landy - Mack - Rants
Unknown - Unknown - Unknown
Jost - Soda - Compher
Wilson - Kamenev - Calvert

Now you have a good first line and a good bottom 6. You need 3 new top 6 players.

Bowers and Kaut will eventually replace Soda and Wilson.

Out: Ghetto (waivers), Nieto (waivers) , Kerfoot (trade), Bourque (AHL)

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd rather be patient with this team. The Avs are more than a 2nd line center away from being a top contender. There is still a lot of youth on this team, and that youth needs time to develop.
The youth on this team that needs time to develop isn't going to solve our forward issues, at least it's not likely they do.

We know what Kerfoot is. Compher is likely a 3rd liner moving forward. Who knows what Jost can be, but it's likely not 2C. Kamenev is an unknown but I'd be very surprised if he's the long term solution at 2C; more like he takes over Soderberg's role as 3C. Bowers is in the NCAA. That's basically it.

This team needs a 2nd line in the worst way. There's literally nobody we can count on. Andrighetto is always hurt. Wilson sucks. Soderberg doesn't get used in that capacity. Nieto/Calvert/Bourque/Dries are 4th liners.

I don't want to waste this top line waiting for players that very likely aren't the solution to our scoring woes. The way I see it, when this team is ready to contend, it'll be:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Jost - XXX - XXX
XXX - Kamenev/Soderberg - Compher
XXX - Kamenev/Soderberg - Calvert

And honestly, I might even be putting Jost in that 3LW slot but he does deserve more time on the wing to show his offensive prowess. This team just needs scoring in the worst way, it's ridiculous.

Reactions: Avs44

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Here's what we need:

Landy - Mack - Rants
Unknown - Unknown - Unknown
Jost - Soda - Compher
Wilson - Kamenev - Calvert

Now you have a good first line and a good bottom 6. You need 3 new top 6 players.

Bowers and Kaut will eventually replace Soda and Wilson.

Out: Ghetto (waivers), Nieto (waivers) , Kerfoot (trade), Bourque (AHL)

Kerf or Jost can fill one of the wings of that second line if we get a stud C for that group. Tro put up 70+ with worse wingers last season, and Drae has produced at a 70 pt pace away from McD in season’s past. So I’d be perfectly content with:

Bottle Kids
Jost* - Tro/Drae - XXX
Calvert - Soda - Comph
Wilson - Kam - Ghetto
Gork / Greer

*Kerfoot depending on which one is needed to complete trade for Drae/Tro

XXX = Kaut / OTT 1st / FA / rental

Avaholics Anonymous

Sep 16, 2015
Columbus, OH
The best case scenario you get another Rantanen but it will take 3-4 years to develop him. It would be too late for our core. We need second line center Now!
Giving up that pick, which could easily be #1 OA, is just off the table for me. I don't think things will be getting better for the Sens going forward, despite their unexpected start. And looking at the score of their game today, yeah that pick is just not something we should be negotiating with.

If we want to put our #1 on the line in a trade for a 2C, maybe the Sens #2 also, sure I think a deal could be worked out there with some other adds on our side, but I have no idea who for since I don't follow other teams as close. I still expect our window to open up starting next season, we could still easily miss the playoffs this year, which I'm okay with considering the influx of talent slated for next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Giving up that pick, which could easily be #1 OA, is just off the table for me. I don't think things will be getting better for the Sens going forward, despite their unexpected start. And looking at the score of their game today, yeah that pick is just not something we should be negotiating with.

If we want to put our #1 on the line in a trade for a 2C, maybe the Sens #2 also, sure I think a deal could be worked out there with some other adds on our side, but I have no idea who for since I don't follow other teams as close. I still expect our window to open up starting next season, we could still easily miss the playoffs this year, which I'm okay with considering the influx of talent slated for next season.

After the worst non-expansion season in history, the avs picked 4th. "Easily" might not be the right word to use in this scenario ;-)

Reactions: Avaholics Anonymous

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Nashville gets a nice contract on Rinne. Team-friendly deal, only two years. He's older, but he did win the Vezina last year and has been lights out to kick off this year. If the Avs keep Varly that's the sort of deal I'd be comfortable with. Which I'm pretty confident he wouldn't.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I actually think Varly might be perfectly ok with a short term deal. When he was threatening to go back to Russia in Washington, a lot of that was because he wasn't that comfortable going to many other teams. Colorado was on his shortlist because Roy was one of his idols growing up.

I don't think that's changed too much. I don't think he likes the idea of uprooting again. He likes being comfortable in his surroundings. I think there's a good chance he'll take a short term deal with the Avs, over a long term deal with most other teams in the NHL, and is ok going back to Russia after that if things don't go well.

Just a guess on my part though.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I actually think Varly might be perfectly ok with a short term deal. When he was threatening to go back to Russia in Washington, a lot of that was because he wasn't that comfortable going to many other teams. Colorado was on his shortlist because Roy was one of his idols growing up.

I don't think that's changed too much. I don't think he likes the idea of uprooting again. He likes being comfortable in his surroundings. I think there's a good chance he'll take a short term deal, over a long term deal with most other teams in the NHL, and is ok going back to Russia after that if he doesn't get a deal he likes.

Perhaps. Would be great for the Avs if that option is viable. But his agent at the least has to be stressing that he'll be 31, he's an injury risk, his body's sustained a lot, and if he wants to make more money this will be his last big chance in his career.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Perhaps. Would be great for the Avs if that option is viable. But his agent at the least has to be stressing that he'll be 31, he's an injury risk, his body's sustained a lot, and if he wants to make more money this will be his last big chance in his career.

I'm trying to remember, but I think Caps fans were surprised at the deal Varly signed with Colorado. I'm sure he wants to get paid fairly, but I'm not sure that's a high priority either.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Apparently Varlamov's agent and Sakic haven't talked at all, so who knows. But I'd be fine with bringing him back unless Francouz gets called up and is dominant.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Apparently Varlamov's agent and Sakic haven't talked at all, so who knows. But I'd be fine with bringing him back unless Francouz gets called up and is dominant.

Still pretty early though, and they probably want to see how his body holds up this season before having any meaningful conversations. Talks will probably pick up around the deadline like they usually do.

Avaholics Anonymous

Sep 16, 2015
Columbus, OH
After the worst non-expansion season in history, the avs picked 4th. "Easily" might not be the right word to use in this scenario ;-)
Haha, that's a very fair point. I should've said it could easily be in the running for 1OA instead. Maybe the hockey gods will give us some make up luck this time?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I said max. top-10 pick. Of course I'm not trading lottery pick. Top10 protected pick.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think there is some unrealistic expectations here. Most of the Stanley Cup favorites over the past few years only have about 5 or 6, 40+ point forwards, and 6 to 9, 30+pt forwards. Avs likely have 5, 40+pt forwards in the Bottle kids, Kerfoot, and Soderberg. And maybe 8, 30+pt players if 3 of Wilson, Compher, Jost, and Andrighetto can hit that mark. Avs are also top of the NHL in goals scored and 4th in goals per game. There is no need to panic right now.

The Avs aren't wasting MacKinnon and Rantanen if they choose to stay patient. Almost all elite players stay productive into their 30's. MacKinnon is 23. Rantanen is 22. Jost and Compher probably have a break out season next year or the following year.

The young players aren't ready yet. Adding a second line center is only going to give the Avs a minor return, especially if it's taking away from the defense. Adding a starting goalie (Varlamov) and a top pair defensemen(Johnson) took the last core no where because the rest of the team wasn't ready yet. Now we have an aging, injury prone Johnson, who is much older than the core and Varlamov who looks like he might be in a different uniform this time next season. Right now the time should be spent teaching the young players how to play team defense.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

I don't think that's changed too much. I don't think he likes the idea of uprooting again. He likes being comfortable in his surroundings. I think there's a good chance he'll take a short term deal with the Avs, over a long term deal with most other teams in the NHL, and is ok going back to Russia after that if things don't go well.

Varly is alive today because he did not sign a contract with his KHL club. I am getting chills every time I think about it.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The way I see it, adding a good 2C solves a lot of problems in that suddenly those depth players that are struggling to produce and those kids that are developing have someone to help them do that. We've seen what happens in Edmonton and Buffalo when the young kids struggle along because all they have to play with is each other or terrible veterans.

We want a second liner that can not only put up points, but make other players look good by virtue of playing with him. I want to have discussions that are like "Jost is just a product of X" because that means Jost is producing enough to merit those discussions.

I'd be willing to part with a lot of future pieces to get that player. The only one off the table for me is Makar.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think we'll see the Avs trade (a defenseman) for that coveted second line center/player once Connor Timmins joins the line up and starts producing. We can also count on Cale Makar joining the line up around playoff time, once UMASS's season ends, creating more congestion on the back end.

Though I expect a trade, I don't expect a ton of major changes anytime soon.

By all accounts the Avs have a very good locker room. And while the last two games may have been ugly, the Avalanche still lead the NHL in goals (52) and are second in goal differential (+12). Yeah, we can thank the top line for most of that, but guys like Kerfoot (58pt pace), Soderberg (47pt pace), and Wilson (23goal/40pt pace) are at least chipping in offensively. (Keep in mine, last year the Avalanche only had (1) 40 point forward outside of the big three).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Haha, that's a very fair point. I should've said it could easily be in the running for 1OA instead. Maybe the hockey gods will give us some make up luck this time?

I still don’t think easily is appropriate with the artificial parody of the NHL. This isn’t the NBA where you know exactly who’ll be in the mix for the best draft odds. Even if we ignore how little the best draft odds can mean in the NHL.

Sure we all would love Hughes, but that pick is much more likely to be 5th overall than 1st. So we shouldn’t overvalue that unlikely outcome, if there’s a trade to be made using that pick that makes sense.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think we'll see the Avs trade (a defenseman) for that coveted second line center/player once Connor Timmins joins the line up and starts producing. We can also count on Cale Makar joining the line up around playoff time, once UMASS's season ends, creating more congestion on the back.

Timmins got concussed in May. He hasn’t played since, still dealing with concussion issues last we heard. At this point he can’t be counted on as a prospect, let alone as an NHLer. The first step is him returning to being healthy and being able to live a normal life.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah I don't know if some people are simply out of the loop about Timmins' current state but to mention his name when talking trades or painting him on our future blue line is crazy optimism at this point.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Timmins got concussed in May. He hasn’t played since, still dealing with concussion issues last we heard. At this point he can’t be counted on as a prospect, let alone as an NHLer. The first step is him returning to being healthy and being able to live a normal life.

Yeah I don't know if some people are simply out of the loop about Timmins' current state but to mention his name when talking trades or painting him on our future blue line is crazy optimism at this point.

It sounds like you're out of the loop my friend. While it's true we don't know a lot about Timmins current state, we do know the following:
  • Timmins has been in Denver, rehabbing and even skating with the team, the entire season.
  • The Avs sent him home during during their late-October four game Eastern road trip to give him a mental break, as the poor kid has been living in a hotel room for two months, but he has since returned to Denver.
Obviously it's concerning that Timmins still isn't taking contact. But he's not sitting in a dark room 24 hours a day.

bbskiff

Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
Hey guys & girls! Not sure if this has been talked about cause I haven't been on here in a few weeks.
Is Nylander a pipe dream? I know he's looking for a lot of money but is he worth giving up the assets it would take to acquire him? Is his contracts demands to much for the Avs?
If Sakic thinks he will luck out & can offer players like Nylander, Mackinnon money I think he is in for a rude awakening.
I am kind of worried as to what Joe is going to offer Mikko.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Nylander wants $8M, so I wouldn’t want him. Doesn’t mean he’ll get it, though. It would most likely cost Barrie +.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It sounds like you're out of the loop my friend. While it's true we don't know a lot about Timmins current state, we do know the following:
  • Timmins has been in Denver, rehabbing and even skating with the team, the entire season.
  • The Avs sent him home during during their late-October four game Eastern road trip to give him a mental break, as the poor kid has been living in a hotel room for two months, but he has since returned to Denver.
Obviously it's concerning that Timmins still isn't taking contact. But he's not sitting in a dark room 24 hours a day.

They just signed an AHLer this past week because Timms isn’t anywhere close to playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad