Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XI| Witty Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The tax difference is not at all overblown. We've seen how it has allowed teams to outbid other teams for UFA's and re-sign RFA's without handing out massive contracts. This is how Dallas got Radulov, TB got Stralman and re-signed Hedman, Johnson, and Palat to such a team friendly deals, and Vegas got Stastny, re-signed Marchessault on the cheap, and may end up getting Karlsson for the same reasons. It's still a benefit over other markets, no matter how good your accountant is.

A benefit, but nowhere near the level of benefit you and others seem to think it is.

It's a very minor factor that goes into the process for players. What matters most is team success, family impact, and location. That's why Tampa has been able to sign all the guys they have. And they take discounts because they want to stay with that team instead of going somewhere new and likely not as good.

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's both. That's why TB and Vegas seem to take advantage of it more often. They're well run organizations that are aggressive about wanting to build contenders. That takes time, effort, and risk, but it also attracts players.

That’s what I’m getting at. All the teams that have no income tax have something else that’s a big incentive to sign there. So in that sense I think the 0 income tax thing is overblown

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A benefit, but nowhere near the level of benefit you and others seem to think it is.

It's a very minor factor that goes into the process for players. What matters most is team success, family impact, and location. That's why Tampa has been able to sign all the guys they have. And they take discounts because they want to stay with that team instead of going somewhere new and likely not as good.

I think that's painting it as either a massive or little to no benefit. It's neither.

It's clearly a decent sized benefit, it just isn't the only factor in signing somewhere. Location, climate, careers for spouses, entertainment, local sponsors and benefits, competitiveness of the team, how classy the organization is, if there's friends on the team, if the team was someone's favorite growing up, relationship with the coach, relationship with the GM, etc.

Some of these factor into a players decisions more than others, and varies based on how much interest there is for that player, and if those teams who are in a position to offer those other benefits have the cap room and roster space to add them. For players that don't have those other factors influencing them, then money and team competivenss are usually the biggest factors.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Every UFA is different, and they want different things. Life is not a video game where dollars are points to everybody. If money was the only thing Tavares wanted, he could have gone to places who would have given him more AAV or lower taxes. Keep in mind, he chose neither. Yes, low taxes is one carrot teams can use to entice some free agents, but that is hardly the only one.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I like to think it’s a balance for mid age FA’s. You wanna make some coin, compete, and be apart of the core
As you get older maybe it becomes more out of balance as you prioritize one over the others

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Unless im being fed bad information, the tax thing is entirely media driven and not really a big benefit.

During the Tavares to SJ thing there was a whole thing about how to manage money through different means to avoid tax and how if you had a good money guy it was basically insignificant. Yeah it might be nicer not to have to have your money put away in different places but basically there were ways around paying the tax man significantly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unless im being fed bad information, the tax thing is entirely media driven and not really a big benefit.

During the Tavares to SJ thing there was a whole thing about how to manage money through different means to avoid tax and how if you had a good money guy it was basically insignificant. Yeah it might be nicer not to have to have your money put away in different places but basically there were ways around paying the tax man significantly.

It's not the same as just having no state income tax for half your games. You can offset some of the hit, but then you're limiting your options for where you invest, and how liquid you are, which can affect how much interest you're earning on your money. Plus having an accountant manage that whole process takes a lot of time and money that you have to pay out of pocket, which you wouldn't need to do if it wasn't necessary.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Getting EK would obviously be amazing for so many reasons, but I don't think we'd be overly happy with what it would take to get him, and I don't think he even wants to sign here long-term. I'd love to be wrong though.

One thing I'll add to the discussion: I wish people would stop assuming Nylander is available in Toronto - they have been extremely consistent in saying he's not available. I doubt Kadri would be available either given he's on one of the best contracts in the league. I do think Toronto is a good trading partner if/when want to move Barrie, but I'm not sure it would be a 1 for 1. Again, I'd love to be wrong because Kadri or Nylander would be amazing additions to the Avs.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If Karlsson goes to Dallas it's really going to suck. Really suck. Especially because I suspect they'd also find a way to keep Heiskanen.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That bizarre Melnyk video and the Dorion interview with reporters seemed like them readying fans for the inevitable with them openly talking about a rebuild now. You never know with Melnyk but all signs point to a trade happening very soon.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Karlsson goes to Dallas it's really going to suck. Really suck. Especially because I suspect they'd also find a way to keep Heiskanen.

It probably means we miss the playoffs this year since I cant see our young guys stepping up enough to beat out Dallas, St. Louis, AND Minnesota for the playoffs. Central would be a blood bath.

That said, it would also mean EK no longer with the Sens means there's almost no way they aren't a bottom 5 team next year.

And use likely being outside and looking in means another lottery ticket from our own pick. We'll snag a Top 5 and potentially Top 10 pick in next years draft to go along with Makar/Timmins/Kaut/Bowers entering the fold in 2019.

It would suck for next year but the Avs will have the fire power to go toe to toe with the rest of the Central within a year or two.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He has been around the team and even went to the golf tournament so I figured he’d show up. Maybe a trade is so close that he has been asked to stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad