Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 Part IX l Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Barrie can't be moved yet. Not with the expectations we have next year. Girard/Barberio is not a middle pairing I feel comfortable with next October. It sucks that we'll lose value if we have to move him next summer once Doughty and Karlsson drive the UFA market through the roof, but that's the way it is. By then, we'll know what we have in Makar, Meloche and Timmins and one of them will be ready to fill Barrie's lineup spot.

EK is a far superior player and entering his final year. Realistically, what kind of value do you believe the Sens can gain for a better player? I assume only teams interested would be Cup challengers with cap space.

Last season, it seemed a late 1st +3rd/prospect for higher quality players, about the same as being discussed for Skinner. Wait to move Barrie in the final season is likely to have the same outcome and this is without the possible messy contract situation.

I might be alone here, but can’t see Barrie having much of a future with the AVs. Felt the same with Duchene and ROR, moving them regardless if this involves stepping back to build for the future. Barrie will be at the highest value until the 2019 TDL. I rather the AVs prepare for the inevitable transition and increase the ice time for Girard, Meloche & Timmins.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
EK is a far superior player and entering his final year. Realistically, what kind of value do you believe the Sens can gain for a better player? I assume only teams interested would be Cup challengers with cap space.

Last season, it seemed a late 1st +3rd/prospect for higher quality players, about the same as being discussed for Skinner. Wait to move Barrie in the final season is likely to have the same outcome and this is without the possible messy contract situation.

I might be alone here, but can’t see Barrie having much of a future with the AVs. Felt the same with Duchene and ROR, moving them regardless if this involves stepping back to build for the future. Barrie will be at the highest value until the 2019 TDL. I rather the AVs prepare for the inevitable transition and increase the ice time for Girard, Meloche & Timmins.

If we dont trade Barrie next season, we will get aproximately the same value that Shattenkirk got St.Louis Blues on the last year of his deal. If the Oilers are willing to trade Klefbom as is rumored then like someone else on here said. a 10th OA and a Kefbom for Barrie should be a fair deal.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
There's not many dmen who can move the puck like Barrie. He has flaws like anyone else, but I'd like to keep him if his cash demands aren't too much. Keep him around for another season, and see what he wants. If he's asking for too much, trade him. Makar and/or Timmins will be in the league after next season or earlier. If we somehow manage to sign Carlson this summer, then we're in a good situation. I don't think Carlson leaves Washington, though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we dont trade Barrie next season, we will get aproximately the same value that Shattenkirk got St.Louis Blues on the last year of his deal. If the Oilers are willing to trade Klefbom as is rumored then like someone else on here said. a 10th OA and a Kefbom for Barrie should be a fair deal.
For one, that was a deadline deal, not a summer blockbuster. So not quite the same thing. And second, while the value in assets will be lower than if he were moved now, there will also be value in keeping him around for one more year so we can figure out what we're doing about replacing him.

After that, I think he'll ask for too much money and need to be moved just like ROR. If he'll sign a deal under 6m, keep him around, but there's no way I would pay a #3D more than that in UFA. And unless he has a major change of heart from a few years ago about how much money he wants, there's no way his opening offer starts with less than a 9 at this point.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Exactly my point on keeping Barrie would be terrible asset management.

Here is a refresher involving the Shattenkirk trade to Washington:

1st - 2017 (27th)
2 C-Level Prospects (1 already left hockey)
2nd Conditional On Resigning (not completed)

Blues only gained a low 1st and career AHL player. The low 1st pick had some value, but needed to be added into a larger deal to the Flyers for Schenn.

So this would be consistent on my assumption, Barrie is worth a low 1st + 3rd/prospect in reaching his final year. This would be more disastrous for the Team’s future than moving him now.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Everyone is talking about money but nobody is talking about the fact that eventually Makar, Timmins and Meloche will need room on the right side and EJ is signed for 5 more years.
Those 2 combinations are exactly why he will be moved .

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Everyone is talking about money but nobody is talking about the fact that eventually Makar, Timmins and Meloche will need room on the right side and EJ is signed for 5 more years.

Consider the tremendous return for Duchene with 2 years remaining.

1st - 2019 Sens
2nd - 2018 NSH
3rd - 2019 Sens
2nd - Girard (NSH)
2nd - Kamenev (NSH)
1st - Bowers (Sens)
Hammond (Sens - Salary Dump)

You can also find a comparable with the ROR deal, but Sakic was fortunate with 1 year remaining. Sabres believe they won the deal in packaging quantity than quality.

Notwithstanding, Barrie might not be as talented, but being a high scoring RHD his trade value might be similar if he’s now available with 2 years remaining.

I rather have this return than the Shattenkirk lowly deal.

Reactions: milehigh11

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Pretty sure almost no one is on the trade Barrie because the team is better without him train. It's better described as a group of people that see Barrie is a pending UFA in two years, and he's 2 for 2 so far on drawn out painful contract negotiations with the Avalanche, so they're looking at their options.
Give me a break. Both contracts Barrie has signed since his ELC expired have been fair to both the player and the team.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Drawn out painful contract negotiations!? Good heavens, someone is forgetting about Ozolinsh, Drury, Deadmarsh, and O’Reilly if they think Barrie’s contracts were long and drawn out.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I think Lucic can be a good add for us especially for the playoff

Andrighetto and/or Timmins +little add?

For

Lucic + 10th and /or RNH
Edm need speed and AVS need a better 2nd line
If Sakic do notting for a better 2nd line we don't play next playoff. Don't believe 2 years in a row the first line push us in PO alone.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

For

Lucic + 10th and /or RNH
If Sakic do notting for a better 2nd line we don't play next playoff. Don't believe 2 years in a row the first line push us in PO alone.

Ghetto and Timmins value isn't the same.

Reactions: Balthazar

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If there's one thing a team that just had unexpected success with the youngest team in the league outskating most opponents it's a guy who just turned 30 on a horrendous contract who can barely move.

Reactions: Hmmm

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

For

Lucic + 10th and /or RNH

AVs drop Timmins to help the Oilers. Lucic is overpaid, old and slow signed long term. No chance Timmins would be involved in a deal unless the Oilers sweeten the deal.

Reactions: Goulet17 and arun

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

For

Lucic + 10th and /or RNH

I don’t think I’d make that trade if Edmonton retained half his salary. He just seems likes he’ll be useless pretty soon and I don’t think I’d want to be paying him $3m in 3 years.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I find it kind of humorous to read the thread on Tavares and his likely destination. I am not sure who posters are trying to convince. Sometimes it seems like they are trying to convince themselves and feed their own hope. I've been a part of the arguments in the past, and, in retrospect, it seems so foolish now.

Reactions: Patagonia

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I find it kind of humorous to read the thread on Tavares and his likely destination. I am not sure who posters are trying to convince. Sometimes it seems like they are trying to convince themselves and feed their own hope. I've been a part of the arguments in the past, and, in retrospect, it seems so foolish now.

Good thing our board isn't like that :sarcasm:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I agree...can't see Tavares unless for a stupid overpayment ie. $12M per signs with the AVs.

He would be a 2C on a young team led by Mackinnon and EJ. Don't even bother referencing the Pens with Crosby/Malkin co-existing. They spent their careers and grew to respect each other. This is different when you enter a new team with undisputed leaders. Another consideration involves no family, relationship or history with the AVs. Tavares has better options elsewhere where he can be the undisputed leader ie. NYI, NYR, STL, SJ or MTL.

This is not just money, but the right fit for the likely the remainder of his career. Tavares should still be contacted on his interest, but don't realistically believe the AVs have any chance on signing. Stastny is a more realistic option. If his expectations can be reasonable, AVs should consider adding him to the team.

Reactions: ndmd99

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Lucic can be a good add for us especially for the playoff.

oh-that-way-madness-lies-let-me-shun-that-quote-1.jpg

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I agree...can't see Tavares unless for a stupid overpayment ie. $12M per signs with the AVs.

He would be a 2C on a young team led by Mackinnon and EJ. Don't even bother referencing the Pens with Crosby/Malkin co-existing. They spent their careers and grew to respect each other. This is different when you enter a new team with undisputed leaders. Another consideration involves no family, relationship or history with the AVs. Tavares has better options elsewhere where he can be the undisputed leader ie. NYI, NYR, STL, SJ or MTL.

This is not just money, but the right fit for the likely the remainder of his career. Tavares should still be contacted on his interest, but don't realistically believe the AVs have any chance on signing. Stastny is a more realistic option. If his expectations can be reasonable, AVs should consider adding him to the team.

My problem with this is that the majority of teams where he is going to be a leader are also terrible. Montreal is a rebuilding team that somehow increases their average age, NYR made aggressive moves to rebuild this year he has done the NYI thing for years and that hasn't gone well. STL makes sense, SJS does as well...but their window isn't exactly long. I think NJD also makes some sense, they've got a premiere winger and it's close to home for him.

I know him signing with the Avs is a pipe dream, but I also think they'd be a team that could sell themselves really well, especially if they are able to add a Top-6 winger before FA starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad