Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 Part IX l Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yup, cause it's waaaaaay easier to trade Barrie for that than to sign, let's say ... and just for fun, Stastny?!?

Sorry, I probably needed emojis in my post. My post was pure sarcasm.

I believe trading Barrie now is a horrendous decision.

I should put it in my signature to avoid confusion.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah. Only way I'm even considering trading Barrie is either A) Stupid level overpayment or B) We sign John Carlson.

And even still. If we signed Carlson I'd rather hang onto Barrie for 1 more season. Get to July next summer and then pull what Arizona is doing right now with OEL.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Sorry, I probably needed emojis in my post.

I believe trading Barrie now is a horrendous decision.

I should put it in my signature to avoid confusion.
Dude - we are on the same page. I also think that's a baaaaaaaad idea. ;)

And i got your sarcasm and try to reply the same way. Think using emos is not the worth of ideas ...:thumbu:

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Maybe it's because I am crazy or maybe I like crazy or perhaps it is a combination of both, but after the comments by Foley and the amount of cap space, I think Vegas will be a serious target for Tavares if he doesn't re-sign with the Islanders.
I just looked at their cap space. They still have Karlsson to sign after his career year, plus Miller and Theodore will get decent sized deals too. Even if they let Perron and Neal go those three will eat a big chunk of cap by themselves. If you add a guy like Suzuki or Glass on an ELC to replace some of that top 9 depth it would help, and they could bridge Theodore. The pluses for Tavares would be a strong supporting cast, a top eschelon goalie, and a cup contender. I could see that working.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My current wishlist:

1. Sign Tavares
2. Trade for Skinner
3. Karlsson gets traded anywhere

2 and 3 are at least plausible. 1 could be replaced by Stastny and would still improve our 2nd line an insane amount. I generally expect a whole lot of not much to happen this offseason, but at least it’ll be better than signing a 35 year old to a 3 year deal.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
My current wishlist:

1. Sign Tavares
2. Trade for Skinner
3. Karlsson gets traded anywhere

2 and 3 are at least plausible. 1 could be replaced by Stastny and would still improve our 2nd line an insane amount. I generally expect a whole lot of not much to happen this offseason, but at least it’ll be better than signing a 35 year old to a 3 year deal.

Expensive wishlist

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I see some people are back on the trade Barrie train lol

Pretty sure almost no one is on the trade Barrie because the team is better without him train. It's better described as a group of people that see Barrie is a pending UFA in two years, and he's 2 for 2 so far on drawn out painful contract negotiations with the Avalanche, so they're looking at their options.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah. Only way I'm even considering trading Barrie is either A) Stupid level overpayment or B) We sign John Carlson.

And even still. If we signed Carlson I'd rather hang onto Barrie for 1 more season. Get to July next summer and then pull what Arizona is doing right now with OEL.

Out of curiosity what would an overpayment for Barrie be? $8M? $9M?

I say this because it's easy to say (not directing this towards you) the Avalanche shouldn't trade Barrie, without saying whether they'd be willing to sign him for say $8.5M x 8 or $9M x 8 with a NMC.

Or without saying whether the Avs should pass up high value trade offers say a year out from UFA, when Barrie and Newport are asking for X amount and not budging from it. I find that's how a lot of these conversations go.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Out of curiosity what would an overpayment for Barrie be? $8M? $9M?

I say this because it's easy to say (not directing this towards you) the Avalanche shouldn't trade Barrie, without saying whether they'd be willing to sign him for say $8.5M x 8 or $9M x 8 with a NMC.

Or without saying whether the Avs should pass up high value trade offers say a year out from UFA, when Barrie and Newport are asking for X amount and not budging from it. I find that's how a lot of these conversations go.

I have absolutely no idea in terms of $$$ what an overpayment for Barrie would be.

He's still 2 years from free agency. It's impossible to say what market value for a high end 3D with elite offensive skills will be in 2 years from now. I'd venture to guess 8-9M(Considering OEL was offered 8.25M this summer) is about what he will be worth but I dont actually know for sure. Meaning over-payment probably starts when you enter the 9-10M territory.

I'm talking purely in trade value because(Once again) worrying about or speculating about what Barrie is going to be worth in 2 summers from now is a bit ridiculous when we have no idea what the cap will be, what Karlsson and Doughty contracts will look like, if there's a lockout coming, a 32nd team coming, etc. etc. All significant factors that have to play out between now and when Barrie is a UFA that could massively influence the type of contract he's worth.

In terms of trade value. If Edmonton offered up Klefbom + #10 right now for Barrie, you make that trade. That's the kind of overpayment I'm talking about. If we dont get that kind of value for Barrie we happily keep him for another year and re-evaluate the situation next summer. Perhaps going the same route Arizona is going where we give Barrie a fair offer around June 2019, if he accepts then that's awesome we have possibly our most valuable Dman signed long term. If he doesn't accept, hold a bidding war at the draft and trade him for the absolute best package we can get(Which I have little doubts would be something like a ~15th overall pick + A level prospect + maybe something else if multiple teams are interested in his services).

Reactions: Waingro

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The one think I would say about any sort of Tyson Barrie future contract extension, is to avoid giving him a Full NMC at all costs(Unless getting a NMC means he's willing to take say $6.5M a year instead of $8.5M or something).

Mostly because of the prospects we have in the system on the Right Side. I have a hard time believing Makar or Timmins to be better players then Barrie by the summer of 2020, to the point where Barrie would be expendable. But in the next couple of years after that? Who knows. So I'd be covering my tracks and making sure if Barrie is the odd man out in the future that we wont run into problems trying to trade him because of a NMC or NTC or something like that.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Pretty sure almost no one is on the trade Barrie because the team is better without him train. It's better described as a group of people that see Barrie is a pending UFA in two years, and he's 2 for 2 so far on drawn out painful contract negotiations with the Avalanche, so they're looking at their options.

We should have kept the old thread...trade Barrie is back on the Menu! :popcorn:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The one think I would say about any sort of Tyson Barrie future contract extension, is to avoid giving him a Full NMC at all costs(Unless getting a NMC means he's willing to take say $6.5M a year instead of $8.5M or something).

Mostly because of the prospects we have in the system on the Right Side. I have a hard time believing Makar or Timmins to be better players then Barrie by the summer of 2020, to the point where Barrie would be expendable. But in the next couple of years after that? Who knows. So I'd be covering my tracks and making sure if Barrie is the odd man out in the future that we wont run into problems trying to trade him because of a NMC or NTC or something like that.

I don't know about a full NMC, but I think it will be extremely hard to sign Barrie as a pending UFA without some sort of NMC that involves close to half the league. Possibly more.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
There is no chance on this idiotic assumption Barrie will accept $6.5M per with a NMC. It will be at least $7.5M with a NMC or higher possibly $8.5M per without.

Trade Barrie now before this becomes ugly. I understand there is no adequate replacement right now, but the closer to UFA the less the return.

Reactions: milehigh11

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There is no chance on this idiotic assumption Barrie will accept $6.5M per with a NMC. It will be at least $7.5M with a NMC or higher possibly $8.5M per without.

Trade Barrie now before this becomes ugly. I understand there is no adequate replacement right now, but the closer to UFA the less the return.

The only idiotic thing is trading Tyson Barrie now "Before this gets ugly"

Good god :biglaugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Barrie can't be moved yet. Not with the expectations we have next year. Girard/Barberio is not a middle pairing I feel comfortable with next October. It sucks that we'll lose value if we have to move him next summer once Doughty and Karlsson drive the UFA market through the roof, but that's the way it is. By then, we'll know what we have in Makar, Meloche and Timmins and one of them will be ready to fill Barrie's lineup spot.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Keep Barrie for another season and see what’s up then. I hate to say it, but I think the 18/19 season will be his last in an Avs’ jersey.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Not to super get into this but what is our 2nd line or is that the crux of the problem ? I always assumed it was the Soda line

We have a lot of question marks around our 2nd line. I believe Soda was playing on the 3rd line of the latter half of the season together with Comeau. Sakic needs to equip Jost with decent wingers. Kamenev was good for 4 years in the AHL. Maybe he can be a key player on that 2nd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad