GDT: Avs @ Panthers Last second GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Edmonton has lost 16 straight on the road and Florida hasn't lost 3 straight all year, I think they'll bounce back ok. Tough loss though.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Sit Bolland for a game and play TROCHEK.

I wouldn't sit Bolland. Did a great job on the PK tonight.

Here's my suggestion:
If you want to make a move, I'd scratch Kopecky in favour of Trocheck. Need an extra shot of O right now. Then shuffle up to:

Huby - Barkov - Boyes
Trochek - Bjugs - Hayes
Jokinen - Bolland - Flash
Bergy - MacK - Upshall

Just not sure if Tro plays any LW?

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
If you want to make a move, I'd scratch Kopecky in favour of Trocheck. Need an extra shot of O right now. Then shuffle up to:

Huby - Barkov - Boyes
Trochek - Bjugs - Hayes
Jokinen - Bolland - Flash
Bergy - MacK - Upshall

Just not sure if Tro plays any LW?

Wouldn't mess with the fourth line. They've been playing really well and Bergenheim has also been a beast. I would honestly like to move Trocheck or Pirri to the wing to replace Fleischmann. I think we're set down the middle but if we must we could maybe alternate Bolland with Pirri or Trocheck and move one of the two to the wing full time. I do believe Trocheck and Pirri have played the wing before and I don't remember how they did but I think they're versatile enough to adjust. If I had to choose, I would say I like Trocheck at center more than Pirri, though. If Pirri were to explode on the wing like Perreault did then I think we would be set as a team. Alternating Trocheck and Bolland as centermen with Pirri scoring goals on the wing would be the ideal situation in my opinion.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I would sit Bolland as well. The 4th line stays in tack and has been the best line overall. Barkov's current line stays.

I would put trocheck with Bjugstad and Hayes, I liked Tro's chemistry with Hayes.

To me, I would sit Jokinen or Bolland or Fleisch only.

I want to gravitate towards Jokinen. He has been bugging me lately

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I think Trocheck should be sent down. He's nowhere near the dynamic player he was at the beginning of the year and needs to be playing at this point in his development.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I would sit Bolland as well. The 4th line stays in tack and has been the best line overall. Barkov's current line stays.

I would put trocheck with Bjugstad and Hayes, I liked Tro's chemistry with Hayes.

To me, I would sit Jokinen or Bolland or Fleisch only.

I want to gravitate towards Jokinen. He has been bugging me lately

I kind of do as well. For playing the most minutes by a forward tonight, he was pretty invisible.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Frustrating game to be at. Except for a few bursts of energy the team seemed flat. The rarely set up their offense and even though they scored on the 5 on 3 puck control didn't seem to be there.

When the Avs set up in the offensive zone you could see they had a plan on how to get scoring chances. They controlled the tempo.

I thought after the big loss to Winnipeg the Panthers would come out strong and get a decisive win - wrong! They still appeared hung over from the road trip. Maybe the 5 hour wait at the airport affected them and they could not adjust.

Need to play with some desperation on Saturday or it could be 3 in a row.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Seems the team has lost all it's energy. Does not suite well with our hunt. Not very happy

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't know why people are saying they looked flat, they outplayed them pretty badly. Just couldn't get the bounce. This game was a carbon copy of the Blues game, where they fought back to tie it and lost on a weird deflection that bounced off the ice, followed by an ENG.

They played decently and I fully expect them to throttle the Oilers.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I think Trocheck should be sent down. He's nowhere near the dynamic player he was at the beginning of the year and needs to be playing at this point in his development.

i think he plays best when at center opposed to wing, not that he's bad on the wing, but he's even more noticeable when playing center. same with pirri.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Yeah but it sure beats that chump change in AHL.

Being so young he needs reps and time on the ice to improve, but he does bring the element of speed that supposedly Gallant likes. Vince plays best when he centers guys who can finish ala Hayes, but you are not going to get consistent finishers on the 3rd and 4th line. Pirri is a finisher when he is on his game, but it's amazing how many guys go into a spiral when they are concussed.

You could really see the difference in the speed between the two teams. The Avs were a step faster most of the night getting to the puck. Flash, Kopecky and Bolland bring an element of hustle and tenacity but they just don't have the speed that Gallant would like in the lineup. I think at this point he would rather the experience in the lineup and close games than bringing on the speed that fits the system he eventually wants to play.

Kevin4762

Jan 7, 2015
i think he plays best when at center opposed to wing, not that he's bad on the wing, but he's even more noticeable when playing center. same with pirri.

I agree but I think that's because of his inexperience playing on the wing. I don't think it's common for a natural center to play on the wing as well as he plays center.

Aside from that, what I've noticed about Trocheck is that he hustles. He's willing to take hits, give hits, and fall down if it means he can get the puck or get a pass across. He grinds. I've seen him take hits after making a pass that made me wonder if he was okay afterwards. I mean he's that type of player. He may not have the hockey IQ Barkov or Huberdeau have but what I like about him is that he works hard and puts the team above himself. As much as I like him though, if he doesn't improve in his next five games or so I would say that yeah he should be sent down for the remainder of the season. The thing that worries me is what will happen next year. MacKenzie, Bolland, Barkov, and Bjugstad will all still be around unless they get traded. Either Trocheck or Pirri will have to leave the team or move to the wing. Ideally, Bolland gets traded and both Trocheck and Pirri get to stay but I think Bolland is very much in Tallon's plans. Hopefully it all works out for the better.

manifestodestiny

Jan 8, 2010
As much as this loss hurts me, there is one fact that I feel great joy about.

Nathan MacKinnon has 25 points
Aaron Ekblad has 25 points.

Out first overall defenseman is keeping pace with last year's first overall centerman!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I agree but I think that's because of his inexperience playing on the wing. I don't think it's common for a natural center to play on the wing as well as he plays center.

Aside from that, what I've noticed about Trocheck is that he hustles. He's willing to take hits, give hits, and fall down if it means he can get the puck or get a pass across. He grinds. I've seen him take hits after making a pass that made me wonder if he was okay afterwards. I mean he's that type of player. He may not have the hockey IQ Barkov or Huberdeau have but what I like about him is that he works hard and puts the team above himself. As much as I like him though, if he doesn't improve in his next five games or so I would say that yeah he should be sent down for the remainder of the season. The thing that worries me is what will happen next year. MacKenzie, Bolland, Barkov, and Bjugstad will all still be around unless they get traded. Either Trocheck or Pirri will have to leave the team or move to the wing. Ideally, Bolland gets traded and both Trocheck and Pirri get to stay but I think Bolland is very much in Tallon's plans. Hopefully it all works out for the better.
Bolland isn't going anywhere unless we take back $2M, and that is highly improbable given Tallon's penchant to loyalty and stubbornness. I like MacKenzie's speed, grit and reliability in the F/O circle but he is no offensive threat. His contract is small enough where he could be bought out after this season or the following due to his age. I see Knight as the heir apparent to that 4th line Center spot at some point as his game is suited to that role. Unless Trocheck develops more of a shot, he is slated as a 3rd or 4th line Winger with this club as he brings that speed and tenacity ala Bergenheim. Pirri is either a top 6 winger at some point or he will either be traded or not resigned. I wouldn't be shocked if Zach Hyman is up on the RW after a year in San Antonio. The man has developed a complete game at Michigan.

Erick*

If you play Trocheck next game, wouldn't Flash be the guy to sit?

As much as I dislike Bolland's contract, I thought he played pretty well last night despite a dumb penalty toward the end of the 2nd period.

Kopecky shouldn't sit either because he's been playing pretty well.

I'm not sure what Flash adds to this lineup/team anymore. He's a checking line player looking out of place because he's actually a washed up scoring line player. I'm also not sure why Flash gets so much time on our PK either.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
If you play Trocheck next game, wouldn't Flash be the guy to sit?

As much as I dislike Bolland's contract, I thought he played pretty well last night despite a dumb penalty toward the end of the 2nd period.

Kopecky shouldn't sit either because he's been playing pretty well.

I'm not sure what Flash adds to this lineup/team anymore. He's a checking line player looking out of place because he's actually a washed up scoring line player. I'm also not sure why Flash gets so much time on our PK either.

Still waiting for the Flash exile. Same with Upshall. I've had it with the penalties and stupidity. Like last night, he tried to tip away Holden's point shot and it created a deflection past Luongo. Just allow Lu to see the shot. Nope, not only does Upshall constrict Luongo's view, but he tips the friggin' shot. That is so stupid and unprofessional. He was caught in between the point man and the traffic. That's no man's land, only bad things happen there. If you're gonna block the shot get 3 feet in front of the shooter at least. Otherwise back the frig off.

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yea, I'm always surprised to see Flash out on the PK.

Admittedly, rather see him out there on the PK than on the point on the PP :laugh:

This game was not the teams best effort. However, we had a shot to win it, but the bounces weren't in our favor last night. So it goes.

Team needs to have a short term memory mindset and forget these two past games.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Every line has to be going for this team to be successful. That didn't happen last night, not even close. Barkov line was good, Bjugstad line was bad and the other two were average.

Hate to break it to you guys, but Bolland won't be a healthy scratch. Don't hold your breath.

Also, did anyone hear Gallant post-game? Said he was happy with the effort..kind of interesting, I thought they played decent for about half the game....nowhere near good enough though.

Anyway, need these 4 points going into the break, no excuses.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Last night really bothered me. There are large portions of games where we or the opposition dont do anything just skating around netural zone dumping it in.

Its like all the energy goes out. We lapse in focus. The arena is dead. And what usually happens is the other team wakes up before we do and we find ourselves in a hole.

These early goals we keep giving up where someone isnt ready to play or is out of position defensively are killers. We wouldve gotten at least a point last night if we didnt gift wrap them that first goal.

We lack killer instinct and taking the fight to the opposition.

Its not acceptable. This loss bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad