MKhEwez.jpg

Jo04bd6.jpg
6oaOuwm.jpg

Full credit to UncleRisto for the line chart

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I watched quite a bit of the Avs Canes game and they looked awful, could've been 8-2 as well but Pickard was really good. They play like Buffalo.

Catsfan7

Jun 6, 2011
Coral Springs, FL
We can take this loss two ways....
1). Think we suck, the sky is falling down, point fingers, fall apart
OR
2). We use us this game as a rallying cry to get even better.

Past Panther teams would take 1, but with the leadership we have in place and the way this season has gone so far, I think we will look at this as 2 and work twice as hard.

We beat the next few teams we face already this season, so let's get the momentum back on our side and finish this part of the season strong. LGP!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Honestly the Caps game was way more disappointing for me because I thought they played well and Lu let in a weak one, whereas this was just a stinker that happens to everyone.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Well, the boys got a good old fashioned butt kicking last night. That should provide the wake-up call they need to remind them that they have to give 100% effort EVERY game.

Looking for a bounce back game on Thursday against the Avs.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Nothing wrong with what happened last night. The team looks to be a confident group, but maybe what happened last night brings them back down to earth. Not saying they were overconfident or cocky, but its good to have your eyes opened once in a while, and know that there is a lot of work to do still.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Huge 5 game homestand starting Thursday. We should be able to handle this:

Avalanche tomorrow, Jan. 14 - 7:30pm

Oilers this Saturday, Jan. 17 - 7:00pm

Canucks on Monday, Jan. 19 - 7:30pm

Red Wings on Tuesday, Jan. 27 - 7:30pm

Blue Jackets on Thursday, Jan. 29, - 7:30pm

No reason why we can't win all 5. We have competed hard and had success against the Avs. We were able to withstand the Oilers' youth. We took it to the Canucks and beat 'em once. We find lot's of ways to beat the Wings. The Blue Jackets are my only concern. They're a tough team to play against. Kind of like Winnipeg, big, skilled and a solid goaltender. Let's do this!

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Nothing wrong with what happened last night. The team looks to be a confident group, but maybe what happened last night brings them back down to earth. Not saying they were overconfident or cocky, but its good to have your eyes opened once in a while, and know that there is a lot of work to do still.

I don't think it comes down to coming back down to earth. They just didn't come out with a good effort and it showed. This team can definitely beat Winnipeg when we're playing well and we come out properly.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Last night was a perfect reason why Im not a big fan of things like +/- or other related stats because a couple of blow outs in either direction sway it greatly.

If I were a betting man I would bet my money that the difference between us making the playoffs and not making the playoffs is +/- 4 points. While we have lost that game 3-2 or 8-2 in regulation last night it keeps coming back to those 9 otls. Had we won just 4 more of those there would be a little breathing room.

It doesnt help that Boston, New York, Washington, and Detroit are like the 4 hottest teams in the league right now.

When does Boston or Detroit go on a 2 week deathly roadtrip? They keep playing Buffalo and New Jersey.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Huge 5 game homestand starting Thursday. We should be able to handle this:

Avalanche tomorrow, Jan. 14 - 7:30pm

Oilers this Saturday, Jan. 17 - 7:00pm

Canucks on Monday, Jan. 19 - 7:30pm

Red Wings on Tuesday, Jan. 27 - 7:30pm

Blue Jackets on Thursday, Jan. 29, - 7:30pm

No reason why we can't win all 5. We have competed hard and had success against the Avs. We were able to withstand the Oilers' youth. We took it to the Canucks and beat 'em once. We find lot's of ways to beat the Wings. The Blue Jackets are my only concern. They're a tough team to play against. Kind of like Winnipeg, big, skilled and a solid goaltender. Let's do this!

I agree. Canucks just got pasted last night too, in addition to being shut out by an AHL goalie and getting beat by us last week. Wings are the most important game but no reason we can't get points or even win all.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I don't think it comes down to coming back down to earth. They just didn't come out with a good effort and it showed. This team can definitely beat Winnipeg when we're playing well and we come out properly.

Dont take Winnipeg so lightly. They are a big, strong, fast team that normally plays us well. They are in the playoff hunt in a tougher Western Conference also. Teams like Winnipeg, who are fast and big, has been our cryptonite this season.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We are an 85 point team unless we play 100% every game 60 minutes.

We don't have the talent level and/or experience to mail it in.

Some have called us overachievers, whatever...good teaching lesson what happens when we take a day off.

So the boys will rebound tomorrow in front of the home crowd, im confident

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Some have called us overachievers, whatever...good teaching lesson what happens when we take a day off.

Really don't get the "underachieving" narrative some * cough northern media cough* are placing. We don't have guys shooting ~30%, no real career years on the roster, Lu is playing average to his career numbers. If anything the team is underachieving. That's just a BS narrative that those guys are lazily using to discredit the team. Ironically the Jets have all the things I lister and don't get called the same. :laugh:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Dont take Winnipeg so lightly. They are a big, strong, fast team that normally plays us well. They are in the playoff hunt in a tougher Western Conference also. Teams like Winnipeg, who are fast and big, has been our cryptonite this season.

Bottom half of the playoff teams in the East are way better than the West, would bet Dallas comes ahead of Winnipeg in the end.

Score adjusted corsi from both teams' last games. As you can see, both teams got wrecked, but Colorado had good goaltending.

des0ls.png

6qf887.png

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Oh no, I'm not taking them lightly. I was just saying had we come out ready to play and had more energy like most nights, we would've been in the game at least.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Bottom half of the playoff teams in the East are way better than the West, would bet Dallas comes ahead of Winnipeg in the end.

Score adjusted corsi from both teams' last games. As you can see, both teams got wrecked, but Colorado had good goaltending.

Colorado leaves their goalie out to dry on most nights.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The team looked scared last night and it disappointed me. Having said that, when this team plays right, they can hang with the big boys no doubt about it.

Fatigue, sickness, travel, all excuses. No excuses right? They got rubbed out plain and simple

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Really don't get the "underachieving" narrative some * cough northern media cough* are placing. We don't have guys shooting ~30%, no real career years on the roster, Lu is playing average to his career numbers. If anything the team is underachieving. That's just a BS narrative that those guys are lazily using to discredit the team. Ironically the Jets have all the things I lister and don't get called the same. :laugh:

Great post! I've thought this as well because basically, the only player on our team that is exceeding expectations is an 18yrold rookie. Most are under in a big way, I expect more out of basically all of them at this point.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The team looked scared last night and it disappointed me. Having said that, when this team plays right, they can hang with the big boys no doubt about it.

Fatigue, sickness, travel, all excuses. No excuses right? They got rubbed out plain and simple

Technically the visitor locker rooms don't say "No Excuses"...only ours at the BB&T Center does. :)

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Technically the visitor locker rooms don't say "No Excuses"...only ours at the BB&T Center does. :)

Haha, Gallant said it to.

Btw, not saying he would have made a huge difference, but I think a game like last night showed the value of Shawn Thornton.

Players watch highlights too and probably saw what Byfuglien did to Doughty, Kopitar (though a penalty), and the ducks. Maybe a little intimidation played a factor. A guy like Thornton can help alleviate that a bit. He could have helped set the tone.

When you play teams that like to play bully Hockey, it helps to have a Bully on your side too. Our most physical forwards are Berg, DMac, Kop, and Upshall. They aren't gonna intimidate anyone by any means.

Having a Thornton against big, bad teams like the Jets really helps and I believe the Panthers missed him from an intangibles factor.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

Btw, not saying he would have made a huge difference, but I think a game like last night showed the value of Shawn Thornton.

Players watch highlights too and probably saw what Byfuglien did to Doughty, Kopitar (though a penalty), and the ducks. Maybe a little intimidation played a factor. A guy like Thornton can help alleviate that a bit. He could have helped set the tone.

When you play teams that like to play bully Hockey, it helps to have a Bully on your side too. Our most physical forwards are Berg, DMac, Kop, and Upshall. They aren't gonna intimidate anyone by any means.

Having a Thornton against big, bad teams like the Jets really helps and I believe the Panthers missed him from an intangibles factor.
Definitely agree here about Thornton. Would have liked to see him slot in for Kopecky last night simply because of the physicality factor. They pushed us around all night. Every single one of our players was afraid to get near Byfuglien.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Nailed it. We're not much of a physically intimidating team without Thorton.

Winnipeg is a tough, intimidating place to play as well.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

That is what I thought as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad