Post-Game Talk: Avs - Panthers 24/01/2014. Natan Mackiniganov vs Good Canadian Boy Alex Bark(injured)

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Guys we are 25-1-5 or something ridiculous when we score first and have the lead. As much as I disliked this game and Varly is responsible for a lot of those wins, clearly we're doing more right than wrong.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Just realized Landeskog only has 8 shorthanded minutes this season. Pretty strange that Roy hasn't had him on the PK during any point of the season.

Edit: But he and ROR is both leading our team in average time on 5-on-5. 15:58 minutes per game.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think every/most teams has the bad tendency of sitting back on the lead. The team thats behind always plays with more urgency and therefore controls the lay more and more near the end. Last game in Toronto we dominated the third period and limitied the leafs scoring chances but ended up losing.

This. Happens every night in the NHL. Doesn't mean the team shouldn't work on improving holding their leads but it's absolutely not something that only happens to the Avs. Phoenix was up 4-0 and gave up 3 third period goals to Edmonton. It happens literally every night.

As I mentioned earlier it bothers me more that this team is pretty much incapable of coming back after getting down two goals. They've lost more winnable games that way. Also the nights they can't muster more than 1-2 goals of offense. It happens though. Or not getting that dagger goal, the 4th or 5th one.

As far as Zanon, he's not even good enough to play in the AHL.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What the hell were the lines in the third? That couldn't have helped either.

Never mind, probably was more like weird line changes.

Saw on the broadcast that the Avs have the second best road win % in the league.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Hope you don't mind a question about MacKinnon from a non-Avs fan.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on MacKinnon going back to the third line. Is it permanent, barring injuries, or do you think he will spend time in the top 6 when they need some O?

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Regarding Madmac on third
He is 18, it's ok being on a third, give us more offense and protects us, ie Ror with duchy helps defensively and putting talbot with him helps same. He probably grow into a top line guy, but it's nice having three lines with skill guys.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma

I was wondering what your thoughts are on MacKinnon going back to the third line. Is it permanent, barring injuries, or do you think he will spend time in the top 6 when they need some O?

Him being on the 3rd line basically means he is being sheltered, and plays the "easy" minutes.
The 3rd line is still relied on producing offense with Parentenau and MacKinnon.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It looks like MacKinnon is working hard to change that. He was very active in Colorado's zone last night. I liked that a lot.

I find MacKinnon is good on the backcheck but loses his man easily when the opposition cycles the puck.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I find MacKinnon is good on the backcheck but loses his man easily when the opposition cycles the puck.

Chases too much. Can't catch up to a moving puck usually. Needs to find his spots to pick off plays and turn them out of the zone, instead of trying to cover everyone.

He's like me playing defense in FIFA 14, sprinting after every player that gets the ball.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We can haz Campbell plz?

Guy was a beast last night. Really want him on the team.

I had a vision Avs getting Kulikov and Campbell at the trade deadline. That would be something.

Edit:

Campbell-EJ
Hejda-Kulikov

Pretty good top 4, one that would put them in competition with other playoff teams with solid d core

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Thing is, I think the Avs need to be.

The first 7-8 times they ended games like this early in the season it was ok, you were looking for the wins anyway you could get them to turn the culture around. No need to be harsh when the team was trying to build confidence. The last 7-8 times is starting to become inexcusable.

This team has a ton of reasons to be confident now. Time to tear some of that down and push the guys to be better and not completely shut down when they get a lead.

I understand they cannot play at the first period tempo the whole game, but how you don't have a least a little of that oomph in the third is mind boggling.

I guess instead of almost blowing leads they should just blow them.

I don't care so much about ALMOST's.. I care about actual losses.. I didnt forget where we were last season.. I'm still thrilled we have a winning record, let alone almost a guaranteed play off spot. I'll take ALMOST losses over losses any day of the week.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

He only went back to the third because everyone is healthy. If you look at the ice times last night Roy did roll the three lines pretty evenly. Roy admitted that he played wing so much because he wanted to keep him in the top 6. So yeah, Roy will find plenty of uses for MacKinnon. The three scoring lines is a luxury and he's better as a center so it's a good thing especially if that line is getting decent time.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It was really nice seeing Tanguay back out there. Missed that pizza face smile.

Indeed.

I would swap Tangs with Parenteau though. I think Tanguay is an obvious fit with Mack and has been productive on the 3rd line before (unless everyone has forgotten how he turned Lappy into a 20 goal scorer) and on the flip side, I think PA is a better fit on a line with Duchene or Stastny, in that order.

I think we'll see this combination at some point and it should be dynamite.

RoR - Duchene - Parenteau
McGinn - Staz - Lando
Tangs - Mack - Talbot

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
hope bordeleau and wilson dont play tmmrw

I thought Bordeleau played fine last game. Wilson though, he's not only slower this year but he also lost his ability make a good first pass. Holden might be better than him at this point and thats just sad. Looking forward to having Sarich/Guenin back right now:help:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I guess instead of almost blowing leads they should just blow them.

I don't care so much about ALMOST's.. I care about actual losses.. I didnt forget where we were last season.. I'm still thrilled we have a winning record, let alone almost a guaranteed play off spot. I'll take ALMOST losses over losses any day of the week.
I agree in part, it's about the teams dominance and culture to keep try to score.. A culture we need and sorely lack.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That first period was one of the best 20 minutes of hockey for us in the whole season.

Parenteau has looked great these last two games and ability to roll out three quality lines with Tanguay back is fantastic.

calvin0416*

....meanwhile TB beats us with 1 top line given 22 minutes of ice-time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad