Avs on break discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Winnipeg, Calgary, Anaheim, LA, NJ, and Arizona (if they lose Hall) are probably the likeliest suitors for Barrie. They'll all have capspace and need a RHD.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d bet Taylor Hall doesn’t hate living in Az. Wouldn’t be shocked if he wanted to stay.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I could really see the Avs be big players in the upcoming free agent frenzy. Considering the flat cap and if they stick to their November 1st date for UFAs the Avs could take advantage while other teams scramble to deal with their cap issues.

But I could also see the Avs ending up pretty quiet depending on how this roster does in the playoffs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Do you think Girard has a shot at making team Canada at the next olympics?
Too many guys ahead of him. It's hard as hell to make that roster, they have tons of players to choose from and only so many spots. Too bad, if he was from any other country he'd be a shoe-in.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Too many guys ahead of him. It's hard as hell to make that roster, they have tons of players to choose from and only so many spots. Too bad, if he was from any other country he'd be a shoe-in.

I tend to agree. Perhaps there’s an outside chance because Canada is a lot stronger at RHD, than they are at LHD. Overall though it’s a slim chance, unless he picks up his offensive game a little more next season.

I’d love to see MacKinnon, Makar, and Girard all on Team Canada someday.

Reactions: McMetal

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'd be flabbergasted if Makar doesn't make Team Canada whenever the hell the Olympics are. I recognize they are loaded in defensive talent, but with the extra years Makar will be a top defender in the league. Makar even has his new puck deflecting technique down.

Mackinnon is obviously a top line player for Team Canada.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar making Team Canada at this point is as much of a sure thing as Mack.

Girard will likely be a late cut at camp. They'll go for a couple of high end offensive dmen and a bunch of bigger 2-way guys.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Barrie wants a payday. He'll find it somewhere, at least $8 million AAV. Sakic will only offer the previous offer, which was probably $6.X million.

But I'd prefer that then trading for Ghost. There's plenty of defensemen on the market, it's not a bad year in that category and there's no need to trade. Sergachev was a good idea, though.
Guy was born into money. Why does he need $8 mill. Why aint 6 mill enough. He could be in Denver playing hockey with his best friend on a soon to be cup contending team. Take what Joe gives you and live a happy life.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Guy was born into money. Why does he need $8 mill. Why aint 6 mill enough. He could be in Denver playing hockey with his best friend on a soon to be cup contending team. Take what Joe gives you and live a happy life.

I thought Len Barrie went bankrupt? Tyson has to PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE!

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Only way I see Girard making team Canada is if he and Makar become a dominant pairing together in Colorado.

Then I'd have to imagine the allure of having a pairing already immensely familiar with each other and with that chemistry would be appealing to Canada in a tournament where finding the right chemistry on lines often ends up the difference maker.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
want to pleasure yourself over how good Makar and Girard are? I know I do: By the Numbers: Identifying the NHL's best puck-moving...
Sam Girard is a top 5 NHL defenseman in transition.

Sam Girard is a top 40 NHL defenseman offensively.

I don’t know where he ranks defensively among NHL defenseman, but he’s far and away the best defensively of all the D on the Avs which just so happens to be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Most of the hockey world doesn’t even realize it, but Sam Girard is a legit #1 defenseman in the NHL and has played every game this year at just 21 years of age.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I thought Len Barrie went bankrupt? Tyson has to PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE!

Yes, Len Barrie landed in financial ruin during that whole resort thing or whatever it was. I think he's doing okay nowadays but I don't think he's rolling in money any longer.

Regardless, Barrie's had a big payday lined up for a while. Unfortunately things have not gone according to plan this year, so we'll see what happens. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility he comes back for a season or two in Colorado.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Sam Girard is a top 5 NHL defenseman in transition.

Sam Girard is a top 40 NHL defenseman offensively.

I don’t know where he ranks defensively among NHL defenseman, but he’s far and away the best defensively of all the D on the Avs which just so happens to be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Most of the hockey world doesn’t even realize it, but Sam Girard is a legit #1 defenseman in the NHL and has played every game this year at just 21 years of age.

There’s no doubt that he and Makar are the strength of the defence. Both played at a number 1 level this year.

Beyond that, Graves probably played like a 3, Cole a 4/5, Johnson a 5, and Zadorov a 7.

The defence was really strong this year overall. Just imagine if Byram can become a top pairing caliber defenceman.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Can't wait for the 2022 Olympics when we can recreate that picture from the 2015 World Championship with MacKinnon, Girard, Makar and Byram

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sportsnet's Team Canada 2022 Olympic roster:

L1- Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
L2- Barzal - McDavid- MacKinnon
L3- Stamkos - Point - Marner
L4- Tavares - O'Reilly - Stone

Extras: Huberdeau, Scheifele

P1- Pietrangelo - Makar
P2- Rielly - Hamilton
P3- Theodore - Doughty

Extras: Chabot, Morrissey

G1: Price
G2: Binnington
G3: Hart
----

The speed on L2...holy crap.

Personally I don't see Makar playing with Petro, I'd be surprised if they'd put two right handed dmen together. I think they go Rielly, Chabot and Theodore on the left side and Petro, Makar and Doughty on the right side. Hamilton and Morrissey as extras.

I'd also swap Stamkos for Huberdeau.

Projecting Team Canada 2022: Crosby and McDavid together at last - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

P1- Pietrangelo - Makar
P2- Rielly - Hamilton
P3- Theodore - Doughty

That second line is absolutely insane. Might be the 3 fastest players in the league on one line.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

P1- Pietrangelo - Makar
P2- Rielly - Hamilton
P3- Theodore - Doughty

G1: Price
G2: Binnington
G3: Hart
----

The speed on L2...holy crap.

Personally I don't see Makar playing with Petro, I'd be surprised if they'd put two right handed dmen together. I think they go Rielly, Chabot and Theodore on the left side and Petro, Makar and Doughty on the right side. Hamilton and Morrissey as extras.

I'd also swap Stamkos for Huberdeau.

I don’t get this insane loyalty to Bergeron, who will be 36 at the next olympics. I know he plays well with Crosby, but a lot of guys could. Bergeron at that age on Canada’s top-line would shock me.

I’d move Tavares out for Couterier and make a crazy good defensive 4th line.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Chabot bump Rielly. I personally prefer Chabot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad