Avs on break discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Doing a rewatch of the Avs series against the Flames last season.

1. The series was actually alot closer than I initially felt. Comphers goal with 2 mins left might have been as key as Zadorovs hit on Keiths kid in the same game. Game 3 and 5 were the only Games the Avs absolutely dominated.

2. The Avs were completely in Gaudreaus head haha. That guy had a miserable 2 weeks and talk about being a cry baby diver lol.

3. Grubauer was on one.

4. Colin Wilson might have been the unsung hero of that series and I stand by my statement earlier this year that Wilson is much better suited at the bumper spot than Kadri is.

5. Compher has that Chris Drury clutchness.

6 Derrick Brassard was trash.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I find it annoying as well.

When he pronounces French names in French in an English broadcast I'm not a fan either.
Yup. Generally with this kind of stuff you should only produce the closest possible combination of sounds used in the language being spoken. Between Finnish and English, there are countless differences in vowel sounds and aspirations and all kinds of stuff. If you purposely nail English name pronunciations while speaking Finnish, you sound like the biggest asshole to ever live.

Reactions: Balthazar

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

1. The series was actually alot closer than I initially felt. Comphers goal with 2 mins left might have been as key as Zadorovs hit on Keiths kid in the same game. Game 3 and 5 were the only Games the Avs absolutely dominated.

2. The Avs were completely in Gaudreaus head haha. That guy had a miserable 2 weeks and talk about being a cry baby diver lol.

3. Grubauer was on one.

4. Colin Wilson might have been the unsung hero of that series and I stand by my statement earlier this year that Wilson is much better suited at the bumper spot than Kadri is.

I’ve been saying for awhile than Wilson is a great fit on the top PP. He knows his limits and never over does it, just keeps it simple and he’s very effective.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I find it annoying as well.

When he pronounces French names in French in an English broadcast I'm not a fan either.

That's because like almost all things Pierre does, it comes off as extremely phony and forced.

He must be exhausted when he gets home at night from having to play the character he does all day trying to impress people.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Easy Kinglsayer...take it easy on that one. :laugh: ;)

Compher had just one game tying goal last year and no game winners.

Drury is tied for 6th all time in playoff GWG's with Mike Bossy and Glenn Anderson, despite scoring half as many playoff goals as them in his career.

17 of Drury's 47 playoff goals were GWG's. That's a ridiculous 36% of his goals that were game winners. :eek2: He's also tied for 5th all time with 4 OT winners.

For reference Sakic had 19 game winners among his 84 playoff goals with 8 OT winners (most ever). Claude Lemieux also had 19 among his 80 playoff goals with 3 OT winners. And Forsberg had 14 GWG's among his 64 with 3 OT winners.

NHL & WHA Career Playoff Leaders and Records for Game-Winning Goals | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

3. Grubauer was on one.

The series was largely dominated by Colorado after game one, but a couple of games hung in the balance because Mike Smith channeled his inner Patrick Roy.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’ve been saying for awhile than Wilson is a great fit on the top PP. He knows his limits and never over does it, just keeps it simple and he’s very effective.

I'm one of the few who always liked Wilson. He isn't flashy but he plays an honest game and he must be a great teammate because everyone seems to love him.

I hope he finds a good place to play next year and has a successful return.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The series was largely dominated by Colorado after game one, but a couple of games hung in the balance because Mike Smith channeled his inner Patrick Roy.

Yeah Smith is what made those two OT games close. Smith faced a combined 91 shots to Grubauer's 74 in those two games and only gave up 6 goals (three each game). Including that Game 4 where Smith was peppered with 52 shots.

The shot chart at the bottom of this page for Game 4 shows the Avs had about 10-12 more shots in high danger areas in the slot and the circles.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201904170COL.html

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010

Drury is tied for 6th all time in playoff GWG's with Mike Bossy and Glenn Anderson, despite scoring half as many playoff goals as them in his career.

17 of Drury's 47 playoff goals were GWG's. That's a ridiculous 36% of his goals that were game winners. :eek2: He's also tied for 5th all time with 4 OT winners.

For reference Sakic had 19 game winners among his 84 playoff goals with 8 OT winners (most ever). Claude Lemieux also had 19 among his 80 playoff goals with 3 OT winners. And Forsberg had 14 GWG's among his 64 with 3 OT winners.

NHL & WHA Career Playoff Leaders and Records for Game-Winning Goals | Hockey-Reference.com
Boy those are just insane numbers.
There’s a bunch of highlights on youtube of the 2002 avs playoffs, and honestly Drury looks like the second best player (next to forsberg) on a lot of those plays. Looks like a superstar half of the time.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Boy those are just insane numbers.
There’s a bunch of highlights on youtube of the 2002 avs playoffs, and honestly Drury looks like the second best player (next to forsberg) on a lot of those plays. Looks like a superstar half of the time.

Was 02 the year they used Forsberg-Drury-Reinprect in the playoffs or was that 01? Maybe both I can't remember. I wanna say maybe Forsberg played center in 01 and wing in 02.

That might have been the best line I've ever seen. Literally nobody in the entire arena or watching on TV knew what Forsberg was gonna do when he had the puck. He would play all over the ice too despite playing LW. He'd cut into the middle all the time from the wing and break all the oppositions ankles. Then Drury would score huge clutch goals.

2001-02 was the year Forsberg missed the entire regular season and then came back and led the entire playoffs in scoring by 4 points, despite not making it to the finals.

Rino was pretty good that year too, though in all honesty he benefitted a lot from Forsberg's brilliance.

Reactions: 22FUTON9

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Avs havent gotten past the second round since the Drury trade. #lostthetrade

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

3. Grubauer was on one.

What did you rewatch the series on? That would be something fun to do while we’re waiting for the season to start back up :laugh:

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Compher really does bring it in the playoffs. Two goals in the elimination game 6 at home, game tying goal in game 2, and his goal to break the ice in the third period of game 4 was the spark that lit the comeback. No, he's not Drury, that guy was a legend, but his playoff performance really makes me reluctant to part with him for now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Compher really does bring it in the playoffs. Two goals in the elimination game 6 at home, game tying goal in game 2, and his goal to break the ice in the third period of game 4 was the spark that lit the comeback. No, he's not Drury, that guy was a legend, but his playoff performance really makes me reluctant to part with him for now.

To me, Rantanen was the guy who was clutch in that series. He had both the game tying and game winning OT goal in game 4. Then the eventual game winner in game 5 to eliminate the Flames. He also set up MacKinnon with a beautiful pass for the OT winner in game 2.

Compher was good but on the game tying goal in game 2 and the ice breaker in game 4, Smith was completely out of position giving up half his net or more. JT was good in that game 6 against the Sharks though.

Mikko doesn't get enough credit for being clutch IMO. He had some clutch moments for Finland at the WJC too. Assisted on the game tying and winning goals and provided the screen on the game winner as well against Sweden in the semi final. Then scored what was almost a huge game winner with about two minutes to go in the gold medal game but Russia tied it back up with like 10 seconds to go or something, before Finland won in OT.

MacKinnon's OT winner set up by Mikko:

MacKinnon nets game-winner in OT

Compher's goals

Compher's game-tying tally

Compher buries the rebound

Mikko's WJC (#15)

YouTube

YouTube

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Lets also not forget JT's 3 point game in game 6 of the Shark series. The dude while definitely not Drury is a good playoff performer.

Reactions: McMetal

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
To me, Rantanen was the guy who was clutch in that series. He had both the game tying and game winning OT goal in game 4. Then the eventual game winner in game 5 to eliminate the Flames. He also set up MacKinnon with a beautiful pass for the OT winner in game 2.

Compher was good but on the game tying goal in game 2 and the ice breaker in game 4, Smith was completely out of position giving up half his net or more. JT was good in that game 6 against the Sharks though.

Mikko doesn't get enough credit for being clutch IMO. He had some clutch moments for Finland at the WJC too. Assisted on the game tying and winning goals and provided the screen on the game winner as well against Sweden in the semi final. Then scored what was almost a huge game winner with about two minutes to go in the gold medal game but Russia tied it back up with like 10 seconds to go or something, before Finland won in OT.

MacKinnon's OT winner set up by Mikko:

MacKinnon nets game-winner in OT

Compher's goals

Compher's game-tying tally

Compher buries the rebound

Mikko's WJC (#15)

YouTube

YouTube

I think it’s relative to expectations. Mikko is obviously more clutch than Compher.

Compher had a good playoff, considering his role. 6 points in 12 games isn’t amazing, but it’s solid for a role player. He had some really good moments, but no one will confuse him for Rantanen.

Reactions: McMetal

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'd like Rantanen to become a gym freak, an actual body builder. If he stops relying on his big ass to shield the puck and just becomes a big-framed monster, no one will be able to stop him. He'll also stop comically falling on the ice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it’s relative to expectations. Mikko is obviously more clutch than Compher.

Compher had a good playoff, considering his role. 6 points in 12 games isn’t amazing, but it’s solid for a role player. He had some really good moments, but no one will confuse him for Rantanen.

I just personally didn't see enough "clutch ability" to use that term with him yet. I see others may disagree.

Game 6 against the Sharks was a really good performance for him but even if we're talking relative to his peers, there are lots of 3rd liners in Avalanche history that have been more clutch than he has so far IMO, and not all of them are referred to as "clutch players."

To me, Compher basically just met expectations for his role, he didn't really exceed them. For me personally, I like to see players exceed expectations and/or provide multiple big individual efforts that lead to big goals, for me to call them clutch.

I didn't quite see those individual efforts on the GTG in game 2 and the ice breaker in game 4. One of the goals in game 6 against the Sharks was a seeing eye one timer that I think got deflected up top. He was very good in that game 6 though, and it was an elimination game, so he was definitely clutch that night. I'd just like to see a little more contributions like that to call him a clutch player.

Tyson Jost was almost as clutch as Compher, if not just as much so. His three goals came in the last three games of the season, which included two elimination games. Scored the only goal the Avs had in game 5. Then had the first goal of the game in the game 6 win. Then pulled the Avs within one to make it 3-2 early in the third period of game 7, when MacKinnon was basically out of commission.

I'm just referring to last year and the year before though. Maybe he can take another step and bring out more clutch ability this year. I don't dislike Compher at all so I'd be happy to start calling him clutch if he does that.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'd like Rantanen to become a gym freak, an actual body builder. If he stops relying on his big ass to shield the puck and just becomes a big-framed monster, no one will be able to stop him. He'll also stop comically falling on the ice.

But, MacK needs a big target to clap after Rants scores goals. Like at, 1:13.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm one of the few who always liked Wilson. He isn't flashy but he plays an honest game and he must be a great teammate because everyone seems to love him.

I hope he finds a good place to play next year and has a successful return.
Agreed. It sucks we couldn't have him for one more year, and it sucks extra hard that he's probably going to need to take a PTO unless he manages to crack our playoff lineup. Whoever gets him will probably get him on a bargain contract for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad