Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Oilers | Tuesday, April 8th, 7:30pm MT (ALT) | Mission to First

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Has there been a gif of MacK flipping the puck over the Oilers player and catching it?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
So Johnson is now outscoring guys like Doughty, Bouwmeester, Carlson, Campbell, Ehrhoff, Enstrom. Pretty good for a shutdown defenceman.

When was the last time the Avs had two top 30 scoring defencemen? All the way back in 2005-2006, with Liles and Blake.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So Johnson is now outscoring guys like Doughty, Bouwmeester, Carlson, Campbell, Ehrhoff, Enstrom. Pretty good for a shutdown defenceman.

When was the last time the Avs had two top 30 scoring defencemen? All the way back in 2005-2006, with Liles and Blake.

Haha Funny enough those are the two guys we compared Barrie and Blake too once upon a time. I remember when we got Johnson alot of people said he could be Rob Blake lite. Those gifs dont do it justice. Seeing both those plays live was something special. I kinda wish I lived in Denver just to watch MAckinnon play...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Barrie has the 2nd least amount of games among the top 30 as well (Gio).

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
That was a very redeeming game to watch live. EJ and Mackinnon were head and above the best players on the ice. It wasn't close. Overall, it was a very easy win. You can see why the Avalanche are having the success they're enjoying just by seeing how disciplined and structured they play. That's how you have to play to beat the Oilers. Don't open it up and trade chances.

Edmonton, on the other hand is a disgrace. Hardly even bothered to show up. I don't care how many points Hall puts up, it's games like last night that prevent him to get more respect around the league. He floated all night long, didn't backacheck and looked disinterested. Awful display, but I'm sure Eakins having his lunch fed by Roy didn't help Eberle, RNH and Hall's case.

Burnaby_Joe*

A lot of Oiler fans on their board had a lot of good things to say about MacKinnon.

"He made our kids look like AHLer's, he's unreal".

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Blake had 10X the shot from the point though

Well, yeah. :laugh: He was better in a lot of respects. I always get a bit mystified when people say he was a great power play QB though. He really wasn't. Fantastic at jumping into the play and booming shots from the point, but he wasn't really adept at stretch passes like EJ is.

I feel like Barrie isn't great with long passes either, though that doesn't matter much when he's so adept at moving up and down the ice as quickly as he does. He'll likely improve as time goes on though.

On a side note, I've never seen a forward and defenseman with as much chemistry as MacKinnon and Barrie have.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well, yeah. :laugh: He was better in a lot of respects. I always get a bit mystified when people say he was a great power play QB though. He really wasn't. Fantastic at jumping into the play and booming shots from the point, but he wasn't really adept at stretch passes like EJ is.

I feel like Barrie isn't great with long passes either, though that doesn't matter much when he's so adept at moving up and down the ice as quickly as he does. He'll likely improve as time goes on though.

On a side note, I've never seen a forward and defenseman with as much chemistry as MacKinnon and Barrie have.

Barrie has actually improved a lot with his stretch passes. He doesn't always do it because his main tool is his skating with the puck, but there have been a few times this year where he sent a rocket pass from deep in his own zone to the offensive blueline and hit a guy right on his tape in stride.

Agreed on the Nate and Barrie chemistry. I think that has to do with how good of friends they seem to be off the ice, and Barrie's willingness to follow forwards into the zone. The team, and especially Nate just know he's gonna be there.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Blake wasnt a PP QB more just the canon on the PP. Dude was a terror on D in that 2001 run. EJ has a hard shot if only he could get it past that first defender he would be that much better. Some guys have that uncanny ability others dont. EJ's first pass out of the zone is pretty damn good. EJs passing game in general is actually pretty damn good.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not that this is really significant or anything.

But the Avs are starting to balance the boxscore a little when it comes to Shots on Goal. Seems like one of the biggest Points Anti Avs folks have is that we get badly out shot on a regular basis, and rely on goaltending to win Games.

Well, only once in the last 10 games have we been out shot by more then 5 shots(The game against SJS, we were outshot 49-22, and won 3-2). And we did the outshooting in 5/10 of those games. The rest were all pretty much even games as far as SOG are concerned.

This team now, compared to the team back in October is on an entirely different level. We didnt have a shot at winning anything in the Playoffs with the October team. But with this team now, we could very well win a round or 2 of playoffs. Crazy how far we've came.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So kingS, are you wowed by Madmac after seeing the kid fly in person?
He is special

I been in awe of him watching him on tv all season. He looks 'slow' on tv compared to live and up close. The only other time i've been that impressed with someones speed was Pavel Bure. I was there last season when Duchene scored that end to end goal on Dubnyk and I thought that was fast....watching Mackinnon blow by the Oilers last night was even more impressive. I only wish he scored that goal. I guarantee that next season that will be a goal. Duchene had the same problem his first few seasons in the league on breakaways.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Agreed on the Nate and Barrie chemistry. I think that has to do with how good of friends they seem to be off the ice, and Barrie's willingness to follow forwards into the zone. The team, and especially Nate just know he's gonna be there.

Yeah, the bromance has it's benefits. Seriously though, Nate seems like a glue guy. Someone the whole team adores and kinda brings people together. There was a recent interview (think it was Boulding) where Nate says he sits next to and watches tv series on the plane with Cliche. That impressed me a lot because those two are basically opposites and for this superstar kid to have no ego issues about hanging out with an older French 4th liner I just thought was so cool.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Whats with these comments about how the Avs are going to come crashing back to earth or be a middle of the pack to Wild Card team next season because of some stupid Corsi BS? I heard it all morning on my way to work on Team 1260, its all over the Oilers boards. People compare this team to the 2009-2010 team. This team mops the floor with that 2009 team all day. Anderson was pretty much the only reason we made the playoffs and although Varlamov is our MVP he is not the ONLY reason we are challenging for the conference lead. Im getting pretty annoyed by all that Corsi stat bs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Whats with these comments about how the Avs are going to come crashing back to earth or be a middle of the pack to Wild Card team next season because of some stupid Corsi BS? I heard it all morning on my way to work on Team 1260, its all over the Oilers boards. People compare this team to the 2009-2010 team. This team mops the floor with that 2009 team all day. Anderson was pretty much the only reason we made the playoffs and although Varlamov is our MVP he is not the ONLY reason we are challenging for the conference lead. Im getting pretty annoyed by all that Corsi stat bs.

I also made the mistake of listening to 1260 on the way to work this morning. People in Edmonton are just bitter about the Avs turnaround.

I'm at the point where I'm just going to ignore the advanced stats. I like seeing the offensive/defensive zone starts but other than that there's a lot of BS out there. It's at the point where some people don't even watch the games, they just point to the advanced stats to try and prove their point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I'd guess there will be some regression next year, but not a huge one. The regression would simply come because 110+ points is a hell of a season! Roughly 1 team a season hits that number. I could see a more well rounded and better Avs team next year end up with 104 points next season... yet that would be considered regression.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I'm about done with the Corsi slaves. It's an interesting statistic to look at, as are all the advanced stats, but the point that some people point to it as gospel is ridiculous. A made up statistic that has known flaws is not going to define a team, good or bad. I wish scoring chance data was more readily available, that might paint a better picture. Also, anyone who wants to go back to 09-10 better have an answer about why the seasaw went from decent to terrible every other year. Was this team ever THAT bad and why every Sacco squad had a massive nosedive each season.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'd guess there will be some regression next year, but not a huge one. The regression would simply come because 110+ points is a hell of a season! Roughly 1 team a season hits that number. I could see a more well rounded and better Avs team next year end up with 104 points next season... yet that would be considered regression.

Do we really regress next season? As has been mentioned before the team is young and has the potential to get better. The only major concern for next season would be the defense. Can Roy's system insulate the defense again? How's Hejda going to do next season? If we can get one more top 4 guy to help take the pressure off of either Hejda or EJ then I don't think we regress next season like some predict us to do. I'm sure we're not going to have another 14-2 start, other then that I expect a season to be on par with this one.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't say 'regression' either but 109+ points again isn't really a fair expectation. There might be more major injuries or just the way the points shake out. As Hench said an 104 point season next year isn't necessarily a regression. I get the point that one more decent D, experience, one more off season really learning the system and time together will help and they should actually become a better team.

And one more thing about the Corsi debate, it also irritates me to ding them for bad possession stats when they don't even play a possession style of game.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I find it funny that Oiler fans keeping about how we'll regress and are so set on disliking/hoping the Avs fail. Apparently they're all in denial because all they can look forward to(again) is the draft lottery after telling us(and everyone else) how amazing they would be one day. I guess the Oilers aren't giving them anything to cheer for so now they've taken to cheering for others to fail.

I honestly don't take anyone seriously who watches 2-5 Avs games a year and tells us with 100% confidence we'll come crashing back down to earth anytime now due to Corsi which is apparently the be all end all stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad