Confirmed with Link: Avs match O'Reilly's offersheet [AAV 5 million /2 years]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
This was expected, you can just trade him in the offseason if you don't want to pay him 6.5 million. The Flames should have front loaded the contract would've made things more interesting.

They can't trade him for a calendar year. The Avs will be paying most of the 6.5 mill.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
27977314.jpg

3.5 mill this season. Whewwwwww.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
It being so quick makes me think they know they could get more then that in trade. So if he comes back and is unhappy they can still move him.

never mind, I didn't realize it was a full year and not just a season.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
This was expected, you can just trade him in the offseason if you don't want to pay him 6.5 million. The Flames should have front loaded the contract would've made things more interesting.

Can't trade him for a calendar year, and today's date is probably right around the deadline date for next season. So he's pretty much guaranteed to be with the Avs until at least the 13-14 off-season.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Then again, could we trade him before next year and won't eat the 6.5m? Or use a buyout next year?

Buyout? So we just punted 2 draft picks for nothing?

We can't trade him for one year after matching. We may have just beaten the trade deadline of next year.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
We can't trade him for one calendar year. He's on the books up until the 2014 trade deadline.

If Lacroix is still in charge at the end of O'Reilly's contract, that dude is going to be traded. Period.

But, I'm both amazed and laughing my ass off:

Ryan O'Reilly b**chslapped Lacroix and Sherman both. Simply smoked them.

Unreal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't believe they'll be negotiating off that $6.5M salary after next season.

What a greedy ****. I'm so pissed at him. You really think you're worth that money as a 21 year old RFA? I refuse to believe this isn't purely greed based at this point. That's just shameful to put yourself that far above your teammates salary wise.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Please fire the front office. They have no idea how to manage their assets. Now every agent knows that Sherman's hard ball is just for show.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
no but he will be based on his productivity
terrible move
agreed. Hope the kid lives up to it. Especially once they trade Stastny. Because if he doesn't...after the way he and his dad have acted...he'll be begging for that 3.5 bridge deal.

And if he becomes the punching bag around here that Stastny is...man it's gonna be hilarious.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

THe contract is backloaded so he doesn't lose much money on the pro-rating of his contract this year.

Plus to retain his rights after next season, ROR will have to be qualified at a salary of at least $6.5M.

Basically ROR will cost $6.5M per season until UFA.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I hope everybody boo's him. Hope his teammates give him the cold shoulder. Can't believe this is happening. I legit don't want to cheer for him.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Gotta think the organization makes a real push for contention next year. It's probably the last year we can afford all 3 centers. Who are the UFA defensemen this summer? What would our 1st round pick attract?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Ok so let me get this straight...

We play hard ball and stick at a 2 yr 7 mil offer. Budging to 4 mil a year might have signed him...

Then we let him sit.

Then he signs an offer sheet for 2 yr 10 mil

AND WE MATCH????!!!!!

Did I miss something?

Apparently, you missed what the lockout was about.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't have an opinion of whether matching is a good or bad decision, but if the Avs were going to match then the sooner the better given the shortened season and how much of ROR's compensation is in the signing bonus this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad