Post-Game Talk: Avs lose 4-3

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This thread is weirdly calm despite the loss, didn't get a chance to watch the game.

Is it **** it walk away, or were there actually enough positives in the game to be somewhat optimistic?

There is apparently such a thing as moral victories. :laugh:

It was one of their better games so I guess the panic is postponed to another day.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Tough game. Too bad, because the Avs could have really walked away with that one, and I'm not talking only about the 3rd period comeback. Philadelphia wasn't really that good.

I thought EJ played his worst game in quite some time - perhaps since opening night. I believe he was within spitting distance of Philadelphia's goal scorer on all 4 goals. Just didn't look quick, aggressive, etc. Ah well, can't play 82 really good games in a season I suppose.

Landeskog has officially turned into Ville Nieminen. He's slow, he doesn't distribute the puck to anyone, and every time he enters the offensive zone, he simply crosses the blueline and shoots the puck at the net regardless of where he is or his teammates are on the ice. At even strength, he's almost a useless offensive player - both Talbot and Hejda have outpointed him at ES this year, and McLeod has matched him. This cannot continue. I have no idea what's wrong with him, and while I acknowledge his defensive effort (he is hustling and working hard in his own zone), he's got to get himself going at some point.

Tanguay-Mitchell-Everberg is the Avs best line right now. Seriously.

Redmond should stick in the lineup, and it's obvious. And I'm not talking about his goal (which was fine). He skates well, moves the puck well, is pretty physical in his own zone, and pinches into the offensive zone reasonably regularly while not putting the team at a disadvantage. I'm not totally sold on his defensive zone positioning and anticipating the play. But he's clearly a better option than Wilson or Guenin out there, and it's not close.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This thread is weirdly calm despite the loss, didn't get a chance to watch the game.

Is it **** it walk away, or were there actually enough positives in the game to be somewhat optimistic?

We were outplaying them in the first until MacK happened and giroux scored with just seconds left in the period. The second period was hideous. But they fought back well in the third and should've tied it up, but couldn't bury the puck when they get their chances at the end. Shame to, cause they would've won had Schenn's skate not gotten stuck.

Like the last game there's still plenty of work to be done, but they looked last year's avs again, and if we can keep that going we'll start racking up some wins again.

captaincheese

The BillDozer ~ PS4
Nov 1, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
Only saw the goals against but, Berra looked brutal. Like a statue. The one where the puck was behind him in a scrum and he was just lying there like ya i got it. I lol'd pretty hard.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Landeskog has officially turned into Ville Nieminen. He's slow, he doesn't distribute the puck to anyone, and every time he enters the offensive zone, he simply crosses the blueline and shoots the puck at the net regardless of where he is or his teammates are on the ice. At even strength, he's almost a useless offensive player - both Talbot and Hejda have outpointed him at ES this year, and McLeod has matched him. This cannot continue. I have no idea what's wrong with him, and while I acknowledge his defensive effort (he is hustling and working hard in his own zone), he's got to get himself going at some point.

Landeskog and O'Reilly are playing Sacco hockey right now. Going against everything Roy has said from day one about how he wants the team, specifically offensively, to play. Landeskog crosses the blueline and fires at the net. Meanwhile O'Reilly is doing the whole dump and chase thing without any success.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tough game. Too bad, because the Avs could have really walked away with that one, and I'm not talking only about the 3rd period comeback. Philadelphia wasn't really that good.

I thought EJ played his worst game in quite some time - perhaps since opening night. I believe he was within spitting distance of Philadelphia's goal scorer on all 4 goals. Just didn't look quick, aggressive, etc. Ah well, can't play 82 really good games in a season I suppose.

Tanguay-Mitchell-Everberg is the Avs best line right now. Seriously.

Redmond should stick in the lineup, and it's obvious. And I'm not talking about his goal (which was fine). He skates well, moves the puck well, is pretty physical in his own zone, and pinches into the offensive zone reasonably regularly while not putting the team at a disadvantage. I'm not totally sold on his defensive zone positioning and anticipating the play. But he's clearly a better option than Wilson or Guenin out there, and it's not close.

This is why I wanted Landeskog to get put on the third line when the last shake up happened, with Malkin and Everberg he could've focused on rediscover his game while focusing on making his work against the puck dominant again. Tanguay would've moved up to play with MacK and Iggy to get that kid into top gear as well as I think having someone with tanguay's puck control, calm and playmaking ability would be huge for getting the kid firing on all cylinders, unlike having Landy losing pucks half the time.

At this point though, we've just gotta leave them be. The third line is playing too well to mess with. Playing with Iginla has gotten Landy and MacK to start playing like not-complete-ass so we should leave that group together to see how far that goes. And even though ROR's fighting the puck hard and McGinn's good early season play is just a memory, letting Duchene get going again after Landy and MacK sucked the game out of him by reuniting with his old partner in crime and third wheel seems like a good call.

If the top 6 doesn't keep playing better then we'd have to reassess, but for now the only changes I want are for Siemens to get called up and for him to get Guenin's job until Stuart is back.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla

Seems to make a lot of sense to me. Don't think it has been used even once other than the first day or two of training camp.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog and O'Reilly are playing Sacco hockey right now. Going against everything Roy has said from day one about how he wants the team, specifically offensively, to play. Landeskog crosses the blueline and fires at the net. Meanwhile O'Reilly is doing the whole dump and chase thing without any success.

Both Landeskog and O'Reilly never get in the slot, with the exception of the odd jam play on the PP.

They're not going to turn it around offensively until they change that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla

Seems to make a lot of sense to me. Don't think it has been used even once other than the first day or two of training camp.

It does but Iginla seems to have help Landy and MacK turn the corner, so while they get back to form I'd rather just keep them together. ROR-Duchene-McG should improve if we give them some time together again.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Shocked me when I did the math. As good as I hope these players become only MacK seems likely to be as good as Forsberg / Sakic. Man were we lucky to have both at the same time.

It's too early for "on pace for" numbers. Look how Bergeron and Marchand started last season. And it's not like Perry is actually gonna score 70+ goals this season either.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
It's too early for "on pace for" numbers. Look how Bergeron and Marchand started last season. And it's not like Perry is actually gonna score 70+ goals this season either.

Agreed and certainly just a reflection of the teams overall performance at the moment. On the other hand it's year 5 for Duchene and ROR just not sure they have the ceiling I thought they once did.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is good, player safety even tweeted why MacKinnon isn't getting suspended

@NHLPlayerSafety: Re: MacKinnon/Schenn, watch "Contact Along the Boards" video. Specifically the 4:15 mark, "Hands on back but no push" http://t.co/sVMQWcZsQw

People think he's getting preferential treatment because he's a star. :laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Only saw the goals against but, Berra looked brutal. Like a statue. The one where the puck was behind him in a scrum and he was just lying there like ya i got it. I lol'd pretty hard.

Farthest thing from the truth. Berra has played well in every game so far, the game wasn't on him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Berra's weak on second chances because of how long it takes him to re-set, but he made some great first saves that stole should-be-goals to make up for it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado finds ways to lose games. I know it seems like a sketchy comment considering they were down 4-0 at one point, but this game should have been a win.

Jarome Iginla and Gabe Landeskog are ghosts.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That clip is terrifying.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just lost his patience for the linesmen thinking they saw the play happen better then the ref standing next to the play. Third time that's happened now, the other two cost them goals. This one cost them the game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When all four top six wingers look impotent offensively, it's not just them. It's the centers too. MacKinnon and Duchene doesn't create much and when they do, it's pretty much solo raids. O'Reilly was the same in the middle.

Mitchell and his wingers has shown more chemistry in a few games than any of the other centers have with theirs.

I hope Roy switches Iginla and McGinn. Duchene and Iginla for the short time they were together showed beginning chemistry. Iginla knows when to go to the slot. That should allow Duchene to do his thing down low.

The wingers playing with MacKinnon just have to try to grind through it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
When all four top six wingers look impotent offensively, it's not just them. It's the centers too. MacKinnon and Duchene doesn't create much and when they do, it's pretty much solo raids. O'Reilly was the same in the middle.

Mitchell and his wingers has shown more chemistry in a few games than any of the other centers have with theirs.

I hope Roy switches Iginla and McGinn. Duchene and Iginla for the short time they were together showed beginning chemistry. Iginla knows when to go to the slot. That should allow Duchene to do his thing down low.

The wingers playing with MacKinnon just have to try to grind through it.

It's everyone. A lot of mistakes and no chemistry. Still think the two worst players in the top six have been Landeskog and O'Reilly though. Having trouble handling the puck, making passes, getting shots off, etc. Sometimes all of those things on the same night. On this team and at this stage of MacKinnon's career, I think Landeskog needs to do a better job of creating for him even though MacKinnon is the center. Landeskog is a very good playmaker and has the ability to create for others, he's just not getting it done right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Iginla, Landeskog and MacKinnon have been doing a good job cycling the puck when playing together. But cycling isn't a goal in itself. There has to be some intentions to create scoring chances from it and they haven't created much. You can tell Iginla is more engaged physically lately but we need goals from that line.

I wouldn't be surprised if that line has had the most shots of Avs lines , but it's not dangerous shots.

Landeskog should play better. He's been poor in the offensive zone, especially at gaining the blue line. He loses the puck way too much on zone entries this year. The others do it too, but Landeskog is the main offender among the top six. It's a momentum killer. It's not acceptable to be so sloppy with the puck. Especially from a player that's been known to be among the more reliable on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad