Post-Game Talk: Avs lose 4-3

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
McLeod not making sure it ended up even didn't help.

Rinaldo really did not do anything worth a penalty and Cody did not draw him into one.

That is the difference between an effective new age enforcer/pest and what McLeod has become.

Rinaldo went after MacKinnon. That's why McLeod went after him. He was doing the exact same job you want him to do, but unfortunately Rinaldo's a chump. He'll go after a 19 year old but won't fight McLeod. It was a gutless move, and a cheap call by the refs to punish McLeod while rewarding Rinaldo's antics.

It's why Iginla was livid with him from the penalty box after he wouldn't fight McLeod.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Redmond made another sick pass to Tanguay that led to an eventual PP but yah he shouldn't play on the pp and shouldnt play ahead of Guenin

Are you talking about the last PP? Because that was Cliche who made the pass to Tanguay from his own blueline. Seriously. :laugh:

Agree about Redmond being on the PP. Get Holden outta there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know why Schenn decided to fight being up 4-0, but you could say that the turning point of this game was after the Iginla fight.

I knew the team would really come together the first time Iginla decided to fight.

It's also no coincidence IMO that once Roy finally let go of the reins and let the team play with some emotion, and some moxy, that they fed off the energy and played really strong. Roy needs to take note of this.

He wants them to play with their balls on the table, but it's kinda hard to do when you've neutered them emotionally.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fight aside I'm still underwhelmed by Iginla. Just looks so very slow out there and much easier to knock off the puck than I remember. Still a smart, capable hockey player, but he's playing like a role-player out there right now. He needs to be a star.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Fight aside I'm still underwhelmed by Iginla. Just looks so very slow out there and much easier to knock off the puck than I remember. Still a smart, capable hockey player, but he's playing like a role-player out there right now. He needs to be a star.

He's been making a lot of really good plays that the announcers and fans don't seem to give him credit for. Lots of smart puck distribution plays. It's something that I didn't know was in his repertoire actually, and I think he realizes he's going to have to play this way because he won't be the first guy into the zone too often, or get too many chances himself off the rush.

I'm happy enough with Iginla so far, though I wish he'd be a bit more physical. He also rushed two or three low percentage shot in the final minute there when he could have been a bit more patient and set something up IMO. Was kinda annoyed with that.

Can't believe they didn't manage to find the net with all their glorious chances in the final five minutes or so. The forwards have to bear down on their chances and find a goal. They still play too scared too often, and it hurts them. They battle back when they've got nothing to lose, then once they're within a goal they have a million chances but don't have the composure to find the goal they need.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Every thing that can go against them are going against them now. They're on the wrong side of one goal games. They don't get the timely goal. They allow the untimely goal (Giroux, the goal against Vancouver and so on). I think they'll figure it out. It's a good team and once they'll get used to the changes and hopefully do what tweaks on the PP are needed they'll start winning more than they lose. It probably won't be enough for playoffs, since they've missed out on too many points. I don't see this as a team where the wheels will fall off.

Some will be disappointed if the team is in draft limbo (11th to 14th overall) but they need to figure out how to win in this league.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's been making a lot of really good plays that the announcers and fans don't seem to give him credit for. Lots of smart puck distribution plays. It's something that I didn't know was in his repertoire actually, and I think he realizes he's going to have to play this way because he won't be the first guy into the zone too often, or get too many chances himself off the rush.

I'm happy enough with Iginla so far, though I wish he'd be a bit more physical. He also rushed two or three low percentage shot in the final minute there when he could have been a bit more patient and set something up IMO. Was kinda annoyed with that.

Oh his playmaking abilities are a very underrated part of his game. He and Cammalleri clicked quite well. Also another reason why Iggy looked so good alongside centers like Conroy who weren't exactly known for being top-line guys.

Maybe he's still feeling his way around, sometimes I see some glimmers of hope now and again but when he's got open ice to spare (and the Flyboys practically gave the Avs the entire neutral zone in the third) he didn't take advantage of it. The old Iggy would be blazing down the left side looking to either dish it or crash the net. My big concern is that he might rely on a style of play he's just not capable of anymore...but we'll see.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Iggy just looked great vs the Leafs the other day and I think he has been fine for the most part. No clue why Roy moved him off Duchene's wing though. Just another questionable decision, especially when they were playing well together.

I don't think he's supposed to be a "star". He's supposed to be a leader and complimentary piece to Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog, and O'Reilly. Those four are the problem with the offense right now.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Iggy just looked great vs the Leafs the other day and I think he has been fine for the most part. No clue why Roy moved him off Duchene's wing though. Just another questionable decision, especially when they were playing well together.

I don't think he's supposed to be a "star". He's supposed to be a leader and complimentary piece to Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog, and O'Reilly. Those four are the problem with the offense right now.

That's a lot of money to be paying a "complementary piece." But I won't disagree that the players you listed all have to be better.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Every thing that can go against them are going against them now. They're on the wrong side of one goal games. They don't get the timely goal. They allow the untimely goal (Giroux, the goal against Vancouver and so on). I think they'll figure it out. It's a good team and once they'll get used to the changes and hopefully do what tweaks on the PP are needed they'll start winning more than they lose. It probably won't be enough for playoffs, since they've missed out on too many points. I don't see this as a team where the wheels will fall off.

Some will be disappointed if the team is in draft limbo (11th to 14th overall) but they need to figure out how to win in this league.

This is pretty much how I see it. They gotta take their lumps through adversity this season. I'm still convinced they have to deal with some significant injuries at some point too. I think they'll put together nice run and push later, will be competitive until the end and getting that kind of a draft pick will be one hell of a player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The playoffs aren't out of reach if they can start putting some wins together, things are crazy in the west right now and I have a hard time seeing the Flames, Nucks and Preds keeping it up. We're not that far out despite how ****** the start was, so if they can start putting together some wins they'll be back in the mix before you know it. But that won't be true for too much longer if they can't build on they way they've played the past two games and get this thing going in the right direction.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Oh his playmaking abilities are a very underrated part of his game. He and Cammalleri clicked quite well. Also another reason why Iggy looked so good alongside centers like Conroy who weren't exactly known for being top-line guys.

Maybe he's still feeling his way around, sometimes I see some glimmers of hope now and again but when he's got open ice to spare (and the Flyboys practically gave the Avs the entire neutral zone in the third) he didn't take advantage of it. The old Iggy would be blazing down the left side looking to either dish it or crash the net. My big concern is that he might rely on a style of play he's just not capable of anymore...but we'll see.

Iggy hasn't played the kamikaze style since about 06/07 when he got his knee injury. He also converted to a more finesse style since then and doesn't drive the net as much.

Think of him as a big body sniper that will stand up for teammates and provide leadership.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Rinaldo went after MacKinnon. That's why McLeod went after him. He was doing the exact same job you want him to do, but unfortunately Rinaldo's a chump. He'll go after a 19 year old but won't fight McLeod. It was a gutless move, and a cheap call by the refs to punish McLeod while rewarding Rinaldo's antics.

It's why Iginla was livid with him from the penalty box after he wouldn't fight McLeod.

No, he did part of the job I want him to do.

He needs to be better at making sure it will end up even, or at least going after a guy when he is not in the middle of the ice, behind the play, and clearly doing so in a non-hockey play.

Just seems McLeod has no sense when it comes to these plays, and it always ends with the Avs taking the extra penalty.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
How hard is it to just put the two wingers Duchene has shown the most chemistry with on the same line. The Avs finally got the third line working, now just switch Iginla and McGinn and stick with it.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Would have been nice to get at least a point, but at least they came back in the 3rd and made it close.

We have only lost 4 games by more than 1 goal and 2 of them were against the Wild and one of them was a 2-goal loss, with an empty net. At least they are keeping the games close, just need some lucky bounces. Really need ALL our core players to pick it up more.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This thread is weirdly calm despite the loss, didn't get a chance to watch the game.

Is it **** it walk away, or were there actually enough positives in the game to be somewhat optimistic?

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
This thread is weirdly calm despite the loss, didn't get a chance to watch the game.

Is it **** it walk away, or were there actually enough positives in the game to be somewhat optimistic?

Didn't see it but 39 shots on Mason means we probably should have won. MacKinnon was basically in tears in the dressing room over his "hit".

Seems like the refs may have spotted them a goal with the 5 minute major.

Big guys were awful like usual I presume.

PK back down to Earth like the rest of the team.

Redmond >>> Guenin.

This is all from not even watching the game.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Would have been nice to get at least a point, but at least they came back in the 3rd and made it close.

We have only lost 4 games by more than 1 goal and 2 of them were against the Wild and one of them was a 2-goal loss, with an empty net. At least they are keeping the games close, just need some lucky bounces. Really need ALL our core players to pick it up more.

Landeskog is on pace for 30 points, -46, O' Reilly 45 points, -56 and Iginla has scored goals in just 1 of 16 games this season. No where to go but up I suppose.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Desensitization to losing is starting to set in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad