Friedman: Avs interested in Nick Hjalmarsson

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Edmonton and San Jose are among the teams who have asked about Darcy Kuemper. Boston, Calgary and Edmonton have checked in on Oliver Ekman-Larsson(there undoubtedly are more), and Colorado on Niklas Hjalmarsson (again, probably more). Rick Tocchet has one year remaining as head coach. Armstrong would have a lot of intel from Craig Berube, one of Tocchet’s closest friends (and, apparently, a morning coffee buddy in the bubble).

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
They have cap space for a single year and a need for more defensive minded dmen on the 3rd pair. It makes sense with Arz looking to clear cap

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's funny, it was only yesterday I said in another post I would not be at all surprised if the Avs target Hjalmarsson or Goligoski out of Arizona for more Defensive depth in case of injuries or just to have in general, as you can never have too much Defense heading into a playoff run.

I can definitely see it. Good chance Zadorov is traded this month, maybe EJ as well. If they wanted to bring Hjalmarsson in to PK and play 3rd pairing minutes he would be a solid add and just 1 year on his deal as well so no salary commitment beyond this year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are not likely interested in an old LHD. They already have excess in that position unless it’s a cap dump.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not surprised at all. Tried to tell Avs this the last few months. Sakic is going to bring in vet insulation due to them underachieving in the playoffs.
Hjalmarsson is the sort of vet the Avs should be targeting, unlike some of the other stuff which has been suggested. I’ve been advocating him as a great one year option for a while on the Avs board.

Pretty certain he can play both sides too...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hjalmarsson is the sort of vet the Avs should be targeting, unlike some of the other stuff which has been suggested. I’ve been advocating him as a great one year option for a while on the Avs board.

Pretty certain he can play both sides too...

I just think the pie in the sky D core of Byram, Girard, Timmins, Makar is a few years off. Well, I doubt Timmins ever becomes a regular NHLer, but aside from that.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ugh...torn. The Hammer was one of my all-time faves with Chicago...such a rock. Sadly, he's not nearly the player he once was and he's hit that stage where the drop for a pure defensive defender is very steep.

If the price is cheap (meaning trade assets) and we limit him to lower pair ice time, he could be useful. And sure, that salary comes off the books in a year but I'm not sure the Avs are keen on paying a third pairing defender $5 million next year. Ian Cole is already making $4.25 million to be a third pair vet. Tying over $9 million to those two is not great and doesn't seem like a Sakic move. There's a difference between being able to afford it for a year and actually wanting to do so.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hammer has mostly played the right side. A perfect partner to shelter Bo Byram as a rookie. As an Avs fan I’m on board with this. However the Avs have a lot of defenseman so I’m guessing there’ll be a few supplementary moves.

Girard Makar
Graves EJ
Byram Hjalmarsson
Zadorov Timmins
Cole

That’s 9 NHL defenseman. I mean Cole was always expected to be an extra next year and Zadorov was always expected to get traded but leaving no room for Timmins seems strange. Either the Avs aren’t as invested in Timmins as they’ve let on or the EJ rumors are actually true.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not surprised at all. Tried to tell Avs this the last few months. Sakic is going to bring in vet insulation due to them underachieving in the playoffs.

Not sure how the Avs underachieved considering they were missing their starting goalie, their backup goalie, their top LW and captain, their best and most experienced defensive defenseman, two key mid-6 wingers and a top young defenseman for the most critical game of the year and still almost fought back from a 3-1 deficit to the team going to the Finals.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hammer has mostly played the right side. A perfect partner to shelter Bo Byram as a rookie. As an Avs fan I’m on board with this. However the Avs have a lot of defenseman so I’m guessing there’ll be a few supplementary moves.

Girard Makar
Graves EJ
Byram Hjalmarsson
Zadorov Timmins
Cole

That’s 9 NHL defenseman.

No way the Avs are gonna pay Cole over $4 million to be the 5th string LD. You get Hammer, you need to move out Cole. Or Graves/Z.

I do think Hammer brings a bit more balance with his ability at RD.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No way the Avs are gonna pay Cole over $4 million to be the 5th string LD. You get Hammer, you need to move out Cole. Or Graves/Z.

I do think Hammer brings a bit more balance with his ability at RD.
I mean they health bombed Cole last year. They have plenty of space next year. If they can find a taker for Cole that would be great but if not it isn’t a big deal to have him as the 7th D.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Look at the Avs injury list against Dallas. Had the tables been turned the Avs would have steamrolled the Stars, they nearly won it despite all the injuries anyway.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean they health bombed Cole last year. They have plenty of space next year. If they can find a taker for Cole that would be great but if not it isn’t a big deal to have him as the 7th D.

Sure but he's like 9th in your setup...I suppose he's just a name to be buried potentially. Timmins of course we just don't know. I still get the feeling we are only going to have one of Z or Graves next season especially if we bring in a vet like Hjalmarsson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Look at the Avs injury list against Dallas. Had the tables been turned the Avs would have steamrolled the Stars, they nearly won it despite all the injuries anyway.

They didn't. Championship rosters overcome injuries and the Avs window with MacK, Makar, and Kadri on cheap deals is ticking now.

Sakic will make big and bold moves over the next two years as he knows this is when he can win a cup. After that things start to get murky and require financial commitments.

Reactions: wintersej

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
They didn't. Championship rosters overcome injuries and the Avs window with MacK, Makar, and Kadri on cheap deals is ticking now.

Sakic will make big and bold moves over the next two years as he knows this is when he can win a cup. After that things start to get murky and require financial commitments.
You have examples of these championship rosters that overcame injuries to the extent the Avs did?

Two starting goalies alone is enough to eliminate pretty 90+% of championship teams.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

Teams don't overcome a bunch of key injuries and having to roll with their #3G, they just don't. There is too much parity in the league.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Teams don't overcome a bunch of key injuries and having to roll with their #3G, they just don't. There is too much parity in the league.

Squads focused on championships do. And Sakic will make sure of it.

He took the risk of not going all in last year, I doubt he is doing that again with Makar and Landeskog looming above him at the end of this season. Especially considering we likely see a highly condensed season. It's why I think the goalie rumors make sense with COL.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Cole is washed. He’s awful. Trade him and a decent sweeter to get Hjalmarsson. Saves Arizona some money and they get back a draft pick they lost for cheating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad