Confirmed with Link: Avs hire Chris MacFarland as assistant GM

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still think Fenton gets a bad rap for the Minnesota debacle... he had the balls to tell Leipold they needed to rebuild and work on setting a new core. Then when Leipold denied him, he did the best he could to set a new course without the ability to tear it all down.

Not to derail the thread but I think a majority of the flack he got was deserved. The outcome of the Fiala trade has redeemed him a fair bit but the rest of his tenure was a comedy of errors.

Not to mention he had some of the dumbest quotes I’ve ever seen from a front office guy, and that’s saying something.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not to derail the thread but I think a majority of the flack he got was deserved. The outcome of the Fiala trade has redeemed him a fair bit but the rest of his tenure was a comedy of errors.

Not to mention he had some of the dumbest quotes I’ve ever seen from a front office guy, and that’s saying something.

He's a scapegoat and portrayed like a buffon by a pretty powerful media (and ownership) in Minnesota. His two drafts brought in arguably their top prospect in Boldy, but also Khovanov, Beckman, Firstov, Nestorenko, McBain, and Hentges. He had 16 picks... I think he gets 5 or 6 NHLers out of the group. The Fiala deal was excellent. Donato got the scarlet letter in Minny, but he's going to turn out to be a solid player in San Jose. Hunt (and Nestorenko) for a 5th was also great. The Rask/Nino deal was bad and Zuc deal wasn't good (think this was more Leipold than Fenton). His record really isn't all that bad. Is it stellar? No... but the methodology is easy to see. He wanted to rebuild, but Leipold wouldn't let him tear it all down so he had to on the fly. I think the latter really skews the situation. Leipold gets way too involved in the day-to-day and wouldn't let Fenton do his job.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Good for the Avs but tough for MacFarland. He'll likely be a GM sooner rather than later though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sakic will take over as Governor/President of Hockey Operations , and MacFarland will be named GM. That's my prediction for this coming offseason.
Yeah I think that’s a very likely possibility. I think Sakic would like a break from the true day to say stuff of being a GM somewhat soon.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Good for the Avs but tough for MacFarland. He'll likely be a GM sooner rather than later though.

Hextall's track record of drafting and developing young players at Philadelphia undoubtedly gives him an advantage given that Pittsburgh are likely preparing for a rebuild in the next few years.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My theory is Sakic wants to win a cup as GM. I don't think he'll move up for another few years.

It seems like it's something like that. Joe clearly isn't in a rush to move up to president anymore.

They've let MacFarland interview with multiple teams. Doesn't seem like they'd do that, if they planned on giving him the GM job in Colorado any time soon.

I think you're theory about winning the Cup as GM makes sense. Joe could also just want to show people that he can do the job well without MacFarland.

Reactions: Ararana

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
From Friedman's 31 Thoughts today:

The Hextall/Burke hiring comes at a time where I’m thinking the GM job has become too big for one person. When the Rangers held their media conference last week following Tony DeAngelo’s removal, both John Davidson and Jeff Gorton were there. Davidson, the president, handled the bigger-picture queries while Gorton answered the hockey-related questions. The proper structure (although I recognize finances are an issue during the pandemic) is probably your “hockey person” and your “manager.”

The hockey person sets your identity. What you want, who you draft, who you acquire, overall philosophy. Too many GMs never see players. Go see them and find them. Set the plan, create the team. Your manager, on the other hand, is around every day. Goes to practice. Attends all games. Communicates with everyone around the team. Puts out fires, manages up, does a lot of media. It’s no longer a one-person job. Burke and Hextall can work that way.

31 Thoughts: What Hextall, Burke hirings say about the Penguins

The fact that MacFarland interviewed for the job might suggest the Avs/Sakic/MacFarland aren't interested in that kind of set up but it could work if they wanted it to. Based on what I recall about how the Duchene trade went down, I believe MacFarland is heavily involved in doing some of the GM work anyways.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

The fact that MacFarland interviewed for the job might suggest the Avs/Sakic/MacFarland aren't interested in that kind of set up but it could work if they wanted it to. Based on what I recall about how the Duchene trade went down, I believe MacFarland is heavily involved in doing some of the GM work anyways.

Sakic might have been more of a figurehead early on and perhaps even early in MacFarland’s tenure as well. He came in with no management experience, so one would think he was brought along slowly.

In more recent years I think this has been Sakic’s show, but that’s not to dismiss MacFarland, as I’m sure Sakic values his input.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I'd love the Sakic move up and letting McFarland have his go. Especially now that Laine in in CBJ, he's now obviously gonna be an Avs player at some point, over under he asks for a trade with Torts as coach?

Reactions: tucker3434

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wonder what Mike Futa keeps doing to miss out on these jobs. I swear it feels like that guy has been considered for every front office opening the last seven years, even though that’s not the case.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I'd love the Sakic move up and letting McFarland have his go. Especially now that Laine in in CBJ, he's now obviously gonna be an Avs player at some point, over under he asks for a trade with Torts as coach?

Jesus, is Laine really 6’5?

I knew he wasn’t small but you’d like him to play like he’s bigger than Matt Calvert.

What does $5mill (or less) Laine cost at the Avs at the deadline?

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Dubois + Roslovic probably

‘Think we can give up both Jost and Kaut at once and not cripple our depth?

10 OA + 16 OA = 26
3 OA + 25 OA = 28

Maybe we squeeze a third out of CBJ for giving up the slightly more valuable package?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
‘Think we can give up both Jost and Kaut at once and not cripple our depth?

10 OA + 16 OA = 26
3 OA + 25 OA = 28

Maybe we squeeze a third out of CBJ for giving up the slightly more valuable package?
I would hazard a guess that no GM in the league rates Jost as equally valuable as a 10th overall pick. It's also doubtful whether anyone would trade a 16th overall for Kaut as well.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I would hazard a guess that no GM in the league rates Jost as equally valuable as a 10th overall pick. It's also doubtful whether anyone would trade a 16th overall for Kaut as well.

giphy.gif

Kinda figured there were clues all over the place.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Canucks GME is supposed to be on his way out. That opens another landing spot.
MacFarland could really build something special if he ended up as their GM. He's great at cap and asset management which is exactly what they need to get good value from the pieces they will get to support the young core the team already has.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I’m note sure with what Fridge is trying to say here about the job delineation.

The hockey person is big picture but does the trades and scouting? Looks pretty hands on to me.

But its the manager that attends games and practices and handles media?

I fully agree it takes more staff to do the GM job than 30yrs ago but his job descriptions are shit.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
MacFarland could really build something special if he ended up as their GM. He's great at cap and asset management which is exactly what they need to get good value from the pieces they will get to support the young core the team already has.

I think whoever takes that job will regret it. Benning is a buffoon, no doubt whatsoever about that, but just like Bridich in Denver, it’s the guy signing the checks who’s the real problem.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I’m note sure with what Fridge is trying to say here about the job delineation.

The hockey person is big picture but does the trades and scouting? Looks pretty hands on to me.

But its the manager that attends games and practices and handles media?

I fully agree it takes more staff to do the GM job than 30yrs ago but his job descriptions are shit.

He’s doing a poor job with his wording but I took it as the soccer/football structure of a Director of Football (or something similar) who dictates the team’s identity and philosophy and is involved in targeting and acquiring players, and a manager that essentially runs the details of the team. There’s obviously overlap between the two positions but the key point is two people sharing the load. I think part of his incoherence is that it’s really not well defined, he’s just thinking a big picture/little picture split.

Co-Regional Managers style.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He’s doing a poor job with his wording but I took it as the soccer/football structure of a Director of Football (or something similar) who dictates the team’s identity and philosophy and is involved in targeting and acquiring players, and a manager that essentially runs the details of the team. There’s obviously overlap between the two positions but the key point is two people sharing the load. I think part of his incoherence is that it’s really not well defined, he’s just thinking a big picture/little picture split.

Co-Regional Managers style.

I agree, he’s proposing the big picture vs daily details. He’s also hinting at a inward vs outward facing role distinction at the same time which adds more confusion that clarity to his “model”.

It’s as confused as The Office for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad