Proposal: Avs - Habs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Byram was easily Canada's best defenseman defensively and he was the best offensive dmen by a mile last year. If that says anything its that he's becoming a stud two way defender. If you want to use the word underwhelming for a top 4 pick, attach it to kotkaniemi lol

Or that he simply hasn’t progressed yet. He was OK at the WJC, which is underwhelming for a top 4 pick. He probably wouldn’t go #4 anymore in a redraft. You expect a top pick in his D+1 to at least stand out against his fellow teenager players, but he didn’t. He was barely noticeable on the ice. I felt Drysdale outplayed him.

He’s different than last year CHL playoff (the last time I watched him before the WJC) and not in a good way. He was engaged, fast, fluid, noticeable and showed high end skill during the CHL playoffs. I saw nothing of that at the WJC

Delusional. There is a ton of drouin level players. Newhook and zadorov for Drouin alone and id lose my mind and call for sakics head. Drouin has shown nothing except he will pick and choose when he's motivated enough to play skilled hockey.

And I’d do the same if we ever traded him for such a bad return. In the very short sample we’ve seen from him this year he’s easily been our best player.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Or that he simply hasn’t progressed yet. He was OK at the WJC, which is underwhelming for a top 4 pick. He probably wouldn’t go #4 anymore in a redraft. You expect a top pick in his D+1 to at least stand out against his fellow teenager players, but he didn’t. He was barely noticeable on the ice. I felt Drysdale outplayed him.

He’s different than last year CHL playoff (the last time I watched him before the WJC) and not in a good way. He was engaged, fast, fluid, noticeable and showed high end skill during the CHL playoffs. I saw nothing of that at the WJC

And I’d do the same if we ever traded him for such a bad return. In the very short sample we’ve seen from him this year he’s easily been our best player.

AVs with Bura is pacing at the same level as Drouin this season which would have been his best year prior to the injury. If you consider Byram underwhelming, than Drouin is nearing bust levels entering his 6th season. He’s showing little improvement with ongoing attitude problems.

If you believe he’s unavailable, don’t insult the other teams players if the offer is competitive.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That's a a pretty good way to make it clear you dont understand hockey.

Byram was about the only Canadian Dman who stood out in any sort of a positive way.

He was an 18 year old on a defense filled entirely with 19 year olds(excluding the #7D in Drysdale) and he was the one being used in all kind of situations and getting heavy minutes. He was the one on the ice for the entire last 3 minute of the gold medal game while Canada tried to hold a 1 goal lead.

Reactions: milehigh11

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
AVs with Bura is pacing at the same level as Drouin this season which would have been his best year prior to the injury. If you consider Byram underwhelming, than Drouin is nearing bust levels entering his 6th season. He’s showing little improvement with ongoing attitude problems.

If you believe he’s unavailable, don’t insult the other teams players if the offer is competitive.

That’s the thing, he’s not available. I’m not sure where you got this to begin with. OP is a Avs fans.

Drouin is a local kid, talented, signed long term and is only 24. I also don’t see where you come from with your attitude problems because he has none.

Byram was about the only Canadian Dman who stood out in any sort of a positive way.

He was an 18 year old on a defense filled entirely with 19 year olds(excluding the #7D in Drysdale) and he was the one being used in all kind of situations and getting heavy minutes. He was the one on the ice for the entire last 3 minute of the gold medal game while Canada tried to hold a 1 goal lead.

Because no one stood out doesn’t mean Byram did well. I like the player as well, but let’s not act like he’s having a good season and had a great WJC because that is simply not true

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The trade in the OP isn’t great and I understand that. But there is no world where a career high 53 point winger is worth Byram.

Reactions: pockets

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree. If we trade Drouin or Gallagher for that matter, we need Byram as a return. I might settle for Timmins + though.

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017

Literally all scouts and expert said he was underwhelming yet you come here saying he was the only one that stood out. No he didn't.

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017

The offer is nowhere close to being competitive. Since you're trying to compare Burakovsky and Drouin on points lets compare fairbrother and Byram on points.

Fairbrother 25pts/37games
Byram 25pts/35games

You're right since fairbrother has the value of a 3rd Byram also has the value of a 3rd. That is your logic.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The offer is nowhere close to being competitive. Since you're trying to compare Burakovsky and Drouin on points lets compare fairbrother and Byram on points.

Fairbrother 25pts/37games
Byram 25pts/35games

You're right since fairbrother has the value of a 3rd Byram also has the value of a 3rd. That is your logic.

You keep referencing Fairbrother which plays on a strong team and was never invited to Team Canada. Byram last season had double the points and broke the WHL Record for being the 1st DMan to lead the league in playoff points.

Scoring is not a problem for Byram, but with a weaker team required to be more well rounded and defensively solid.

Totally different playing styles as Fairbrother is more of a goon and will be lucky to reach the NHL anytime soon.

Drouin can score, but can’t play Defense. He is very similar to Bura, but has the attitude problems.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Everything that I've read suggests that Bergevin wants the Habs to be competitive next season. I don't see any realistic (or rational) trade involving Drouin, Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or Poehling. They should be building around those young players now.

I could see them kicking the tires on possible Petry trades, but he has remaining term (although limited). I am not sure that Montreal even trades him at the deadline.

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
You keep referencing Fairbrother which plays on a strong team and was never invited to Team Canada. Byram last season had double the points and broke the WHL Record for being the 1st DMan to lead the league in playoff points.

Scoring is not a problem for Byram, but with a weaker team required to be more well rounded and defensively solid.

Totally different playing styles as Fairbrother is more of a goon and will be lucky to reach the NHL anytime soon.

Drouin can score, but can’t play Defense. He is very similar to Bura, but has the attitude problems.

oh right so when you compare Drouin and Burakosvsky you don't mention the fact that Drouin plays on a shit team and Bura doesn't yet you mention that Byram plays on a trash team. Loll keep trying to prove your players have more value then they actually do. Burakovsky doesn't have a half of the value Drouin does. Fairbrother is more of a goon?? you have never watched him play. Drouin has attitude problems now?? First time I've heard this over 3 years.

Keep Newhook the guy is the next Jost and Zadorov the guy is a #5D.

Last edited:

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Literally all scouts and expert said he was underwhelming yet you come here saying he was the only one that stood out. No he didn't.
even if I was to agree with you that he was underwhelming does this mean that Caufield's value has drastically dropped? btw didnt Bergevin say last year that the Habs would be competitive this year?

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
even if I was to agree with you that he was underwhelming does this mean that Caufield's value has drastically dropped? btw didnt Bergevin say last year that the Habs would be competitive this year?

Did I say Byram's value dropped?? I said he was underwhelming. Caufield was terrible. WJC is just one tournament and that is what i'm trying to say. They both didn't have good tournaments not the end of the world. Move on. At least I can admit it.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Eh.... no. There are plenty of Habs fans who would add to Drouin to get Byram. 20 great games don't erase the long, long stretches of being a terrible player.

And I bet plenty of Columbus fans would be willing to drop Anderson for a bag of puck because he’s having a bad season.

You would only do Drouin for Byram just because your bored and would love a shiny new toy. In reality no team does that kind of trade unless they are forced to by the players or cap situation.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
And I bet plenty of Columbus fans would be willing to drop Anderson for a bag of puck because he’s having a bad season.

You would only do Drouin for Byram just because your bored and would love a shiny new toy. In reality no team does that kind of trade unless they are forced to by the players or cap situation.

Drouin has hit 20 goals once, 50 points twice, and has gone through long stretches where he has legitimately been the worst player on his team. He had 3 pts in his last 18 games last year and below a .5ppg player in the last 40+ games, he had 1 pt in an 11 game stretch and 6pt in 19 game stretch the year before... no one will deny that he can dominate for 20 or 30 games. But he has not shown the ability to go an entire season without being a detriment to his team for, like, a quarter of the season. And no, I'm not stat watching. I watched most of the Habs games down the stretch last year and watched several of their games during his heater at the start of this season.

He doesn't have near the value that you think he does. He's an inconsistent 2nd liner who brings less than nothing when he isn't scoring.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Drouin has hit 20 goals once, 50 points twice, and has gone through long stretches where he has legitimately been the worst player on his team. He had 3 pts in his last 18 games last year and below a .5ppg player in the last 40+ games, he had 1 pt in an 11 game stretch and 6pt in 19 game stretch the year before... no one will deny that he can dominate for 20 or 30 games. But he has not shown the ability to go an entire season without being a detriment to his team for, like, a quarter of the season. And no, I'm not stat watching. I watched most of the Habs games down the stretch last year and watched several of their games during his heater at the start of this season.

He doesn't have near the value that you think he does. He's an inconsistent 2nd liner who brings less than nothing when he isn't scoring.

This is exactly the same view of Burakovsky, without having the attitude problems. AVs and Caps fans acknowledge the streaky play and proposed a relatively reasonable valuation.

To consider Drouin being worth Byram is delusional. He was traded for Sergachev at the time had less value, you believe he’s increased his value today?

Drouin has plateaued and the numbers support the argument.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Problem is the offer wasn't competitive, The OP's offer was atrocious for the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad