GDT: Av's double up on Calgary, 6-3

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Sell high, buy low. So no use talking about trading Iggy, Cammy, Kipper until they round into form. Then because of that we'll be back in the playoff hunt or still out of it but with assets that are more sought after.

For now you could do a few small shake ups. All the pundits say everyone is looking for defence so you could ship Butler out for a 3rd (maybe a 2nd), demote Begin (sorry nice story but that is about it).

Then call up Breen and Horak.

As for tonight, well it's about time this organization took some chances. PLAY THE DAMN BACKUP!!!!!! Irving should of played the Anaheim game as his first game.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't really think it's a matter of panic and freaking out. I'm really just tired of watching Calgary struggle out of the gate, have to get into a deep, deep hole; fight their way out of said hole, just to not make the playoffs.

Unlike the Rangers/Flyers/Caps, the team Calgary's got on the ice is more or less the same one that's missed the playoffs over and over for the past three years. So, I think it's about time we started panicking and making some noise in Calgary... Otherwise if we "Stay the course" we're going to end up back in the 10 or 9 slot.

I've been hoping the Flames would go down that road for the last two years, when it became apparent the team didn't have the talent to seriously compete, not the ability to acquire the necessary talent to compete.

But that's not how things work here unfortunately. Unless the Flames continue to lose games, ownership won't authorize a deadline sale. That's the reality of it, regardless of what some, maybe even a majority of fans want. Based on what I've seen from them, this ownership group is almost entirely reactionary. They won't proactively make the tough decision, rather, they'll let the situation play out until there is really only one option left on the table. So in order for something to change, hope the team either turns it around quickly, or keeps on losing. Or Iginla telling them he won't re-sign.

mjw22

Feb 10, 2012
moosejaw
As long as fans fill the seats and buy the merchandise mangement wont do anything major.Edwards has said he wont go through an Oilers type rebuild. :facepalm:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
As long as fans fill the seats and buy the merchandise mangement wont do anything major.Edwards has said he wont go through an Oilers type rebuild. :facepalm:

I would hope so. Finishing with the first overall pick three years in a row is embarrassing. A Chicago style rebuild is a better approach.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Ownership can say what they want. But you can't just buy teams anymore and eventually things will fall apart. You can either go with the flow or go against it. They simply need to adopt the attitude that each season we are going to attempt to make the playoffs. We do not sacrifice the future to do so. If come the trade deadline we are not in a position to make it, then quietly accept the fact and work towards building the future, Whether it be next season or down the road.

It's really not rocket science.

mjw22

Feb 10, 2012
moosejaw
I would hope so. Finishing with the first overall pick three years in a row is embarrassing. A Chicago style rebuild is a better approach.

Chicago was bad when they got their fanchise players plus they had something to start with.By the time Edwards wakes up he wont have a choice. I wouldnt be embarrassed to have Hall RNH Yakapov instead of the guys the Flames picked in the same drafts. Look at all the teams that have done rebuilds and past the Flames across the league. The only more incompetent teams are the leafs and Columbus.:towel:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Doubtful. Two less goals and it's still 4-3 Avalanche. Most of the team has been quite bad, it's not just Kipper.

Not excusing anyone's performance, but somehow I don't think in a tie game that Calagry pulls their goalie to let in the empty netter.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Lol what's with Hudlers face in all the gdts??... Also I must say I know what you guys are feeling with your team right now, I've been there for half my life with the oilers. Get the quick rebuild going so we can meet eachother in the playoffs ASAP.

Take it easy, one step at a time, what about anything other than last place for starters.

;)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Chicago was bad when they got their fanchise players plus they had something to start with.By the time Edwards wakes up he wont have a choice. I wouldnt be embarrassed to have Hall RNH Yakapov instead of the guys the Flames picked in the same drafts. Look at all the teams that have done rebuilds and past the Flames across the league. The only more incompetent teams are the leafs and Columbus.:towel:

I am an Oiler fan . I also like the Flames . Iginla is class , Kipper is my favorite goalie . The Flames have a few players that are easy to like . But like all of us they are getting older and are slowing down . Kipper has not looked good ,but i am sure he will come around and be himself again . I do think the Flames could do a quicker rebuild then the Oilers . This is a deep draft Iginla should get you a first rd pick and a good young Up and coming player . Kipper should net you a good return from teams like TML . I think if Calgary could trade their vets off this year for picks . They could be in good shape . Look at Columbus 3 first rd picks , Plus they add some grit with the NYR trade they could be in a Great Place soon . As for my Oilers we are still a few piece away from contending . After suffering this long . This is a very deep draft the time to do it is now Flames fans . Hope to enjoy good battles of Alberta again soon , but as long as we are both beating the Canucks i would be happy . Alberta ...the best provice in Canada

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am an Oiler fan . I also like the Flames . Iginla is class , Kipper is my favorite goalie . The Flames have a few players that are easy to like . But like all of us they are getting older and are slowing down . Kipper has not looked good ,but i am sure he will come around and be himself again . I do think the Flames could do a quicker rebuild then the Oilers . This is a deep draft Iginla should get you a first rd pick and a good young Up and coming player . Kipper should net you a good return from teams like TML . I think if Calgary could trade their vets off this year for picks . They could be in good shape . Look at Columbus 3 first rd picks , Plus they add some grit with the NYR trade they could be in a Great Place soon . As for my Oilers we are still a few piece away from contending . After suffering this long . This is a very deep draft the time to do it is now Flames fans . Hope to enjoy good battles of Alberta again soon , but as long as we are both beating the Canucks i would be happy . Alberta ...the best provice in Canada

Oh One other thing with the new draft if a team finshes just out of the playoffs they could still draft first . Gettin first rd picks this year could prove to be very valuable

General Granny*

Sens fan here, I use to watch Calgary when I was a kid so I was always interested in what they do. Anyways, if there was any year to do a small rebuild and collect some picks its this draft, its looking like the 2008, 2003 draft.

I am not saying an Oiler rebuild but an Ottawa kind of rebuild, keep some of the vets for the young guys but get a culture change going in there.

Ottawa had a calder championship team to call up guys from and become full NHLers, I am sure Calgary has a couple of guys that could come in and compete. The question would be which guys would you let go and which would you return. Ottawa had a tough descion to either keep their captain or not, Alfie was under contract plus his value wasnt super high so it was easy to keep him, unlike Alfie Iggy is a UFA and is still a hot comodity around the league.

I say get rid of guys like

Tanguay
Cammy
Kipper
Bouwmeester
and maybe Iginla.

General Granny*

Maybe you could sell Iggy on this quick rebuild and youth movment and get him to resign, he still got 5 years left in the tank, in 5 years time if everything goes well he could be in your 2nd3rd line.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Sens fan here, I use to watch Calgary when I was a kid so I was always interested in what they do. Anyways, if there was any year to do a small rebuild and collect some picks its this draft, its looking like the 2008, 2003 draft.

I am not saying an Oiler rebuild but an Ottawa kind of rebuild, keep some of the vets for the young guys but get a culture change going in there.

Ottawa had a calder championship team to call up guys from and become full NHLers, I am sure Calgary has a couple of guys that could come in and compete. The question would be which guys would you let go and which would you return. Ottawa had a tough descion to either keep their captain or not, Alfie was under contract plus his value wasnt super high so it was easy to keep him, unlike Alfie Iggy is a UFA and is still a hot comodity around the league.

I say get rid of guys like

Tanguay
Cammy
Kipper
Bouwmeester
and maybe Iginla.

You don't watch the games hey? Sure Tangs is aging but the guy doesnt slow and to be successful in a rebuild you need veteran pressence and its usually better if that pressence is also a very good offensive force. And Bouw is still young and outside of that garbage of a play on the PK last night he has been our best defenseman, why would trade him when he's finally in a system where he can thrive. Seems ridiculous to hold onto him in all the systems he sucked in only to move him when he can finally be the guy we always wanted him to be.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
I would definitely listen to offers on Gio, he doesn't seem to fit in this system very well.

Detroit would be interested in Mr. Giordano's services. He's a very competent defenseman, and he's also healthy.

If Feaster did it right, he'd get Filppula back in the deal and sign him to an extension. As I've mentioned before, Flip and Hudler have had ridiculous chemistry (better than anything Hudler and Stajan have shown).

If Holland did it right, he'd get back more than just Gio for Flip; perhaps Filppula and Colaiacovo/Quincey for Giordano and Stempniak/Stajan/pick/prospect.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Detroit would be interested in Mr. Giordano's services. He's a very competent defenseman, and he's also healthy.

If Feaster did it right, he'd get Filppula back in the deal and sign him to an extension. As I've mentioned before, Flip and Hudler have had ridiculous chemistry (better than anything Hudler and Stajan have shown).

If Holland did it right, he'd get back more than just Gio for Flip; perhaps Filppula and Colaiacovo/Quincey for Giordano and Stempniak/Stajan/pick/prospect.

Gio + Stemps for Jurco + Flip?

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Don't stop by often in here but I'd like to know what the fixation with the Oilers is?

Yes they have sucked for the past 6 years and I can tell that no one wants a rebuild in Calgary, but is it necessary to bring the Oilers into every discussion.

Right now we are not even a better team than yours, we played crappy against you last Saturday night and proved we are not there yet, but it seems the talk always gets back to how bad we are.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to worry about your own team than that crappy team north of you?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Don't stop by often in here but I'd like to know what the fixation with the Oilers is?

Yes they have sucked for the past 6 years and I can tell that no one wants a rebuild in Calgary, but is it necessary to bring the Oilers into every discussion.

Right now we are not even a better team than yours, we played crappy against you last Saturday night and proved we are not there yet, but it seems the talk always gets back to how bad we are.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to worry about your own team than that crappy team north of you?

So to try and get us to stop talking about how ****** the oilers are you come here to talk about the oilers?

We don't want an oiler style rebuild where we suck for years and get first overall after first overall and build a losing culture, that isn't to say we don't want a rebuild but we want to make smart moves now to build up a base of young talent to add to through the draft not spend 3 years drafting to build that young core and ice sub par nhl team.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

That the Flames upper management has directly stated that they "don't want to go through an Oilers style rebuild" is why there is a perceived fixation.

The fixation is that we've seen, up close and personal, what the Oilers (and their fans) have gone through over the last three years. We'd rather not repeat that down here.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for the replies, not trying to cause trouble in here and I do understand that it's hard to go through a rebuild, been living it forever.

That being said, I'm not unhappy with what we have on the ice and hopefully one day all the suckage will pay off.

I don't think your team is bad at all and I thought you guys deserved the win and outplayed us terribly the other night.

Gary83*

Thanks for the replies, not trying to cause trouble in here and I do understand that it's hard to go through a rebuild, been living it forever.

That being said, I'm not unhappy with what we have on the ice and hopefully one day all the suckage will pay off.

I don't think your team is bad at all and I thought you guys deserved the win and outplayed us terribly the other night.

Sadly, yes. The only reason it was a one goal game was because Kipper was pretty bad. He did mighty fine the first five minutes of the game, after that I thought he was pretty bad, as he's been all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad