Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Devils 5PM MST || All they needed was some more chemistry and some symmetries.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not a bad night for the team.

Briere made a full game presence
EJ was outstanding and Hejda deserves more praise than he gets (story of his Avs career)
Top 6 all played fairly well although sloppy at times
4th line was good

Happy Saturday for sure

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like Erik Johnson if only he can get pucks through he would be that much better

If EJ could get his shot on net consistently he'd be a top 13 dman...and maybe higher.

Roy's going to test how far he can take this. Next game EJ gets 35 minutes and Holden is under 10.

I wouldn't be against EJ and Barrie getting 50+ minutes a night between the two of them until Stuart gets back. Have a few of those shifts be out there together when we press for a goal, and it's not even that crazy minute wise.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
ROR looked good tonight hopefully he can build on this. Barrie and Hejda were also good.

Iginla is looking a lot better and I love his intensity.

Hopefully this gives the team some confidence and they find their game.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
how in the **** is Duchene the 1st star? at least EJ got the 3rd star

Yeah, not sure on that.

Good on Duchene for sticking with the play and getting rewarded with the GWG, but that doesn't erase the "uneasy at best" game that he had.

Johnson should have been the 1st star of the game though, by a country mile.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Just landed in Cozumel, glad to see the team showed up for the last game of this road trip. Hopefully this carries back home against the Caps

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Zajac should call and thank Parise every single day for that contract. Looks bad every time I watch the Devils and still has 6 more years at $5.75M/yr.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
HiddenPlayfulKingfisher.gif

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Check out these highlights. See how many times Holden either looks lost or a Devils player goes right through him. Not around, THROUGH. You'd think he'd at least stand a guy up every now and then like he did last year.

Holden really needs some time with Duhamel.

Get Noreau up as a replacement and see if he can fill-in adequately.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
- my FAVOURITE part of that game tonight was when the defensive lineups got switched up and Haynes and McNabb were discussing if the coaches had made a change since Holden took a shift with EJ. When it got settled and Hejda got back his regular shift, McNabb said "...Hejda is back playing with Johnson, thank goodness" :laugh:

I can imagine him cringing like most of us when he sees that possibility come up in he 3rd period. I laughed...

- my 2nd favourite part of the game was the shift when Danny Briere took the puck in deep and kept possession which directly led to the 3rd and game-winning goal of the game. People like to dump on him a lot but he's played 11 games for us, we have only 6 wins and he's been partly responsible for half of those wins, playing limited minutes. I'm not saying he's been fantastic all over the ice but I don't think he deserves a lot of the criticism he gets.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Briere added some movement to that line. MacKinnon and McGinn ends up being stationary and watching the play instead of moving and engaging. There is a lack of cohesion on that line and I think it's mostly MacKinnon still trying to figure out how to act as a center both with and without the puck. McGinn has been struggling a bit after a good start to the season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Briere added some movement to that line. MacKinnon and McGinn ends up being stationary and watching the play instead of moving and engaging. There is a lack of cohesion on that line and I think it's mostly MacKinnon still trying to figure out how to act as a center both with and without the puck. McGinn has been struggling a bit after a good start to the season.

I think McGinn struggling has something to do with MacKinnon's play. I don't know what it is about MacK this season, but he's just off. Whoever he plays with he can't seem to mesh with anyone

EDIT: Also, please for the love of god Roy, get Holden the **** away from this team. Send him to the AHL, heck, send him to the CHL, but do not play him on this team. The guy was a pleasant surprise last season, fine. This season? It's gotten to the point where it's worse than Guenin. And that is BAD

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs still really lack the ability to create traffic in front of the net for some reason. Briere to me seems like the only guy who can maneuver his way around in the dirty areas and get to pucks that bigger guys on the team can't. Not sure why that is, but if that's the case, keep him in the lineup.

I agree about McGinn. He really is a streaky player (most players who get that label don't deserve it, but he does). It's not just scoring either, he just kinda disappaears for a while.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
IMO the lines could use a shakeup, outside the Landeskog-Mitchell-Iginla line (which to me is the best third line in the league). Put Duchene with RoR and Briere. Put Mack with Tanguay and McGinn. And replace Cliche with Everberg. That gives all lines some sandpaper, and I think Tanguay and Mackinnon would mesh well.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Avs still really lack the ability to create traffic in front of the net for some reason. Briere to me seems like the only guy who can maneuver his way around in the dirty areas and get to pucks that bigger guys on the team can't. Not sure why that is, but if that's the case, keep him in the lineup.

I agree about McGinn. He really is a streaky player (most players who get that label don't deserve it, but he does). It's not just scoring either, he just kinda disappaears for a while.

Briers just knows how to maneuver in the offensive zone. He's not gonna be a world beater by any means and put up loads of points, but what he brings to the team is more positive IMO than negative. In fact, I don't think he's had a negative impact in any of the games he's played. Maybe he's been invisible in some, but he doesn't make plays that are detriments to the team's success. But he does make plays that help the team a lot.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
IMO the lines could use a shakeup, outside the Landeskog-Mitchell-Iginla line (which to me is the best third line in the league). Put Duchene with RoR and Briere. Put Mack with Tanguay and McGinn. And replace Cliche with Everberg. That gives all lines some sandpaper, and I think Tanguay and Mackinnon would mesh well.

After 2 wins in a row I think it's safe to say the lines won't be changing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad