Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Devils 5PM MST || All they needed was some more chemistry and some symmetries.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not when there is over 60 games left on the season.

Uh... at what point is there dire urgency then? Only when if they lose the next game they're mathematically eliminated?

With each game they lose, that's another game they'll have to make up against the teams above them. With each game they lose, their win percentage needed to climb the ranks becomes bigger and less attainable over a long stretch.

Each game they lose means they have to be that much better than the rest of the other teams in order to gain ground. Each loss makes the hole deeper and more difficult to climb out of.

Winning 10 of 15 games is much easier and more realistic than winning 10 of 10...

Just saying... I think we're well beyond the 'There is time left in the season' sentiment holding any water.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Uh... at what point is there dire urgency then? Only when if they lose the next game they're mathematically eliminated?

With each game they lose, that's another game they'll have to make up against the teams above them. With each game they lose, their win percentage needed to climb the ranks becomes bigger and less attainable over a long stretch.

Each game they lose means they have to be that much better than the rest of the other teams in order to gain ground. Each loss makes the hole deeper and more difficult to climb out of.

Winning 10 of 15 games is much easier and more realistic than winning 10 of 10...

Just saying... I think we're well beyond the 'There is time left in the season' sentiment holding any water.
With an 82 game season, there wont be any single "must win games" untill maybe in the last ten games.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
With an 82 game season, there wont be any single "must win games" untill maybe in the last ten games.

Don't agree with this at all...

They've put themselves in a position that makes this game especially important with four days off, and 5 points out of 8th.

Honestly even winning this game means they most likely just lose less ground over those four days.

This is also another opportunity to gain confidence coming off of another win, and after so many times where they failed to pick up that second win after a supposed breakout game. There has been a lot of momentum killing losses coming directly after an offensive breakout. At what point does 'this one' finally push them off the cliff?

At what point does the winning percentage needed to make the playoffs become completely out of reach? At some point if this continues they'll have to all of the sudden become the best team in the Western Conference for, what half the season? Good luck with that..

A game against a mid pack team with a four day layover following the game, and their current record considered. It gets pretty damn close to a 'must win' IMO.

It should be all on the line for 60 minutes tonight, and anything less will be a pretty big let down all things considered.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

History has shown that it's very hard to make up a gap of more than five points, even with 55 games to go.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Don't agree with this at all...

They've put themselves in a position that makes this game especially important with four days off, and 5 points out of 8th.

Honestly even winning this game means they most likely just lose less ground over those four days.

This is also another opportunity to gain confidence coming off of another win, and after so many times where they failed to pick up that second win after a supposed breakout game. There has been a lot of momentum killing losses coming directly after an offensive breakout. At what point does 'this one' finally push them off the cliff?

At what point does the winning percentage needed to make the playoffs become completely out of reach? At some point if this continues they'll have to all of the sudden become the best team in the Western Conference for, what half the season? Good luck with that..

A game against a mid pack team with a four day layover following the game, and their current record considered. It gets pretty damn close to a 'must win' IMO.

It should be all on the line for 60 minutes tonight, and anything less will be a pretty big let down all things considered.
A must win for me means that if we win, we have a chance at the playoffs, and if we lose, we don't. Mathematically, I can't see that when there is 126 points left to play for after today.

I just mean that, this early into the season, this game is no more important than the last one we played or the next one we will play.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well right lose this one but win the next 3 then it doesn't matter, but who knows if that's going to happen. If they get a point out of this one I'll be ok. The true must win sequence for me is vs Carolina and Arizona at the end of the week. If they can't win those games then it's over.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Well right lose this one but win the next 3 then it doesn't matter, but who knows if that's going to happen. If they get a point out of this one I'll be ok. The true must win sequence for me is vs Carolina and Arizona at the end of the week. If they can't win those games then it's over.

Agreed. Teams like arizona and carolina are team we need to be able o beat.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
History has shown that it's very hard to make up a gap of more than five points, even with 55 games to go.

Didn't two teams do it last year? Dallas and someone else? I suspect that realignment may mess with some of these historical markers a lot more than people seem to think.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Didn't two teams do it last year? Dallas and someone else? I suspect that realignment may mess with some of these historical markers a lot more than people seem to think.

west was insane early on last season. destroyed east and playoff spot would've needed like 110 points or something crazy. then it evened out as the season went on.

the other team might have been philly.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
There's also the confidence effect to consider. Avs have yet to put together even two wins and its hard to build confidence that way. And confidence is needed for looser and more "synergetic" play. Basically I think this game is really important for confidence as well as for the points.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Hopefully the team can remain humble after that big win.

And yeah, can't move Duchene and Iggy back together. Don't want to put a stop to our big winning streak.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
They say the most beautiful people are the ones who has symmetrical faces. Landy is beautiful.
Redmond and EJ too but EJ is Jax Teller's twin so there's that.

Am i in the right thread?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Maybe if they ever won the game like a normal hockey team, you know score one or two more goals in regulation and not the last second or a blowout, they'd get some confidence.

It's definitely better than winning one game by a blowout and then crashing and burning next game. But a win is a win and it's damn time the Avs string together at least two wins.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
They say the most beautiful people are the ones who has symmetrical faces. Landy is beautiful.

Mitchell gets no respect again. No surprise. Obviously he is the best looking out of the bunch. Johnny Franchise Malkin.

edit - Actually we have a good looking crew. Barrie is right up there too.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

To be fair, I picked the funniest looking "side" of the people, so most of them have one that looks more normal than this.

Bordeleau, Landeskog, Mitchell and Everberg are those that look most like their usual selves.

The other Landeskog:

23kswt3.jpg

Annoying.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
west was insane early on last season. destroyed east and playoff spot would've needed like 110 points or something crazy. then it evened out as the season went on.

the other team might have been philly.

I think you're right about it being philly.

Last year was an absolutely crazy season, new divisions, new playoff system, plus Tampa and us having insane regular seasons. But I still think that with realignment we'll see a lot more variability in just how far out teams can let themselves get before marching their way to a playoff spot. Which is I'm a skeptical about how accurate all these 4+ points out on nov 1st or 5+ points out on thanksgiving historical markers will be moving forward.

There's also the confidence effect to consider. Avs have yet to put together even two wins and its hard to build confidence that way. And confidence is needed for looser and more "synergetic" play. Basically I think this game is really important for confidence as well as for the points.

Oh absolutely, the frustration has built up for a number of our kids, Landy, mack and ROR in particular, as those guys have no confidence which is making their bad play even worse. This is why I just want them to keep the energy up again, let them start playing a little better and getting better results and the confidence will come back to.

That's why I reallly liked that patty put tanguay with Duchene and ROR. Matty's been getting really frustrated since he went into a funk when Patty put Landy and MacK on his wings. Playing with Tanguay let him release a lot of that and get back into the form he was in earlier. If those two can get ROR's head out of his ass and into this season, this team will be in a much better way.

It would be extremely stupid of roy tochange lines aafter last games win. hes done enough of that time to just let them play

Plus that line was already awesome, if Duchene and Tanguay can spark ROR into gear that helps us a lot more, cause an in form ROR and Duchene can carry a line with McGinn/Iginla/Everberg, so that tanguay could go work with MacK and/or Landy to get them going.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Gonna try and focus on Redmond, Briere, and all again this game as I have seen nothing from Briere I like, and have yet to understand the top 4 potential that so many see in Redmond (not to mention the better skater than EJ argument).

hoping to see another good effort even more than caring about a win or loss. Its a sad way to be this season, but hoping just to see quality play is all I have right now for these Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad