Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Caps | 1/12/15 | 7pm EST | Varly's Revenge III

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
When a team is on a run such as this, they barely change their underwear, much less key players.. Don't look for any major moves until they start playing bad, or the season ends, imo..

I agree. No more changing underwear until there is a 3 game losing streak. That goes for us fans too. :yo:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
IMO, until Caps make it to ECF, there is nothing to talk about. If I was a non-Caps fan, I wouldnt be impressed, either.

While we disagree on almost everything. This is pure truth. Which is why I wanted a cup coach. Lavy Instead they got the we can do better coach....and they are. The question is when the caps get a series lead and media brings ou the choker monkey how does Trotz handle that?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
This is absurd. Just all around ridiculous. 6 pts out of the best record in the NHL, 1 reg loss in 6 weeks... and he should make a bunch of trades to put his "stamp" on the team? He did more to help the blueline in one day than McFail did in two decades. But sure, let's make a bunch of trades so we have more to complain about on this board when the return isn't what we wanted.

No sarcasm. And I'm not saying we should make "a bunch of trades" just to make trades. I find it strange that BMac has been inactive on the trade front. It makes me think he doesn't have a clear vision for the team. If that's true then it'll lead to the same mediocre performance in the playoffs.

I love how the team is playing right now. I like Orpik and Niskanen a lot. But I certainly don't see a Stanley Cup threat as it stands. I'm sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings. I believe the team needs work to be great. Should I pretend otherwise?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No sarcasm. And I'm not saying we should make "a bunch of trades" just to make trades. I find it strange that BMac has been inactive on the trade front. It makes me think he doesn't have a clear vision for the team. If that's true then it'll lead to the same mediocre performance in the playoffs.

I love how the team is playing right now. I like Orpik and Niskanen a lot. But I certainly don't see a Stanley Cup threat as it stands. I'm sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings. I believe the team needs work to be great. Should I pretend otherwise?

Like you said...Niskanen and Orpik were a CLEAR stamp on the team as was bringing in Trotz.

He didn't resign Grabovski. Lobbied for more minutes from Bura, Kuz and Wilson.

The Peters signing was a clear message to Holtby that he believes in him unlike the past regime and the goalie carousel.

How many more moves does it take to put his stamp on them?? Is a TRADE the only way to do so? If so I don't understand that logic at all.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I don't disagree that we can be better, but to be alarmed by his lack of trades is an odd way to put it. You make a trade if it makes your team better, not to put your stamp on it.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I have to give Holtby credit. About 20 games ago I was ready to trade him away or at the very least bring in outside help. He's been ****ing fantastic for us over the last stretch...exactly what we needed.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That's an opinion and a highly questionable one given our pursuit of Kesler.

Which is why I do believe that we will make a move for a center this season.

He definitely wanted more TOI for Wilson. I guess Bura surprised everyone making the team.

The fact is he has left his mark on the team. Going out and aggressively addressing the D and bringing in a CLEAR backup goalie to me put his mark on it. Trotz hire too since he was part of that decision.

So to say that he doesn't have a "clear vision" for the team and that only by means of a trade can he achieve that seems strange to me.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I don't disagree that we can be better, but to be alarmed by his lack of trades is an odd way to put it. You make a trade if it makes your team better, not to put your stamp on it.
Exactly. People forget that in every trade, the other team is looking to fleece you too. With Kuznetsov progressing, perhaps it's not clear whether we need a 2C or 1RW more. What role will Orlov play, we do not know. How desperate will teams get near the trade deadline, do we get more for our trade bait then? I am 100% comfortable with GMBM standing pat right now.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
**** Adam Oates in the ear.

Good god what a terrible decision that was.

+1

It's a tough pill to swallow that two years of this group's prime was wasted with that joke of a coach. In retrospect, Hunter hockey was more fun to watch than the product on the ice the previous two seasons.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Trotz goes 1-3-1 pretty regularly late with a lead. I'm not sure if he did it last night (am I alone in finding Trotz hockey difficult to watch even when we're winning?).

I don't like when we do flip the switch to the 1-3-1 but our record with a lead speaks for itself, so I'm fine saying that I'm probably wrong about it.

Leading after 1: 13-1-1
Leading after 2: 20-1-2

True, but someone else mentioned that Trotz said in his presser that they gave up too much in the 3rd. So there's a balance to be struck.

I don't find it hard to watch. First two periods were big fun. Would be more thrilling if their aim was better. So many posts clanging lately. Especially for the captain.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

I don't know if it'll necessarily be a center. It could also be a RW.

I do think they'll do a little something...mainly because with Green's contract up and Orpik not getting any younger you never know if this is their best shot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

you don't see a cup threat? whats missing? should they be winning easier? they really cant win more.

trades are pretty hard in season in the salary cap era, but lets say they are available and BMac is passing for now. From where I sit, the spots that need to get better are those held down by Burakovsky, Kuznetsov and Wilson. I don't see changing the players around them making an impact in that situation and I don't see trading them for developed players.

What players do you want to see traded and how will they make the team better than what they are now?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I think you have to go for a top line rental RW and 3 pairing LD to replace Hillen

Keep Green around and make a run for it with this D. F it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Kesler is a difference maker kind of player. Is there a similar player available?
I more the Caps look like a legit team, the more I see them making a run at Vermette as a rental. I think now that they are comfortable with Kuzy's growth arc where next season is concerned and are down right happy with where Fehr's game is.

I would bet against the Caps getting a long term solution for 2c and displacing Kuznetsov

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That's something to hang your hat on? Then again, Wilson is our precious RW depth that allowed us to go all in on Erat.

I think you are missing the point.

The poster implied that BMac has no vision for the team and that he implied he has not put his "stamp" on the team.

I disagreed. Mainly due to Orpik/Niskanen, Trotz and showing a vote of confidence in Holtby by brining in Peters instead of someone to compete with him. To me that IS putting a stamp on the team.

The poster implied that a trade is the only way that this could be accomplished.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

Perhaps it is odd because it is so amazingly prescient! ;)

BMac's vision for the Caps is unclear at this point—that's fine as long as he has a great vision and will act on it when the time is right. What's weird is that just about every other GM I can remember made deals early. McPhee made a lot of little deals for picks and marginal players which I liked because I thought he was building relationships with rival GMs. Nill in Dallas is the guy I wanted—he has made many deals and, whether it works or not, he is building the team according to his vision. I also like Yzerman in Tampa—I can't remember when he started dealing but he has been active. We'll see what BMac does.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Perhaps it is odd because it is so amazingly prescient! ;)

BMac's vision for the Caps is unclear at this point—that's fine as long as he has a great vision and will act on it when the time is right. What's weird is that just about every other GM I can remember made deals early. McPhee made a lot of little deals for picks and marginal players which I liked because I thought he was building relationships with rival GMs. Nill in Dallas is the guy I wanted—he has made many deals and, whether it works or not, he is building the team according to his vision. I also like Yzerman in Tampa—I can't remember when he started dealing but he has been active. We'll see what BMac does.

What do you mean by "vision" here? What was the vision for each of these GMs you mentioned?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
As much as he was terrible in his own zone, Tyson Barrie is a lot of fun to watch. Kind of like a poor man's Mike Green of old, though he may be even a better skater than Green was.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
As much as he was terrible in his own zone, Tyson Barrie is a lot of fun to watch. Kind of like a poor man's Mike Green of old, though he may be even a better skater than Green was.

Especially in the 3rd period where the Avs just completely went all in every shift pinching dmen in deep with absolute reckless abandon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad