Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Caps | 1/12/15 | 7pm EST | Varly's Revenge III

OVs Gold Chain*

Avs should be a good test but a great matchup for our system. Lot of speed to keep the defense honest but they play right into what Trotz hopes to accomplish, creating offense off turnovers. They're extremely prone to taking frustration penalties good for 8th overall in the league for PIMs, would be great to get another first goal start and clamp down. Would guess Varly gets his 8th straight start and like all former Caps goalies he seems to elevate his game vs. his former team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Avs @ Caps | 1/12/15 | 7pm EST | Varly's Revenge

awesome-avalanche.gif

AKA RORfest '15

Lines TBD

Goalies likely Varly vs Holtby

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Why the hell Chimera still gets a sweater is beyond me. He is awful. Not only is he awful, he makes everyone on his line worse... doesn't matter who. And, he takes dumb, unnecessary, and untimely penalties.

Latta should center the 3rd line, Fehr should play with Nick and Ovie, and Bura should be in Hershey. Schmidt should also have never been scratched for Hillen.

8-19-16
90-92-20
21-46-42
17-83-43

44-74
27-2
88-52

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Why the hell Chimera still gets a sweater is beyond me. He is awful. Not only is he awful, he makes everyone on his line worse... doesn't matter who. And, he takes dumb, unnecessary, and untimely penalties.

Latta should center the 3rd line, Fehr should play with Nick and Ovie, and Bura should be in Hershey. Schmidt should also have never been scratched for Hillen.

8-19-16
90-92-20
21-46-42
17-83-43

44-74
27-2
88-52

Latta would just kill the third line, what he has done to be placed above anyone other than chimera and volpatti is a mystery to me. shiny new toy i guess.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Latta would just kill the third line, what he has done to be placed above anyone other than chimera and volpatti is a mystery to me. shiny new toy i guess.

53.6 SA% and 66.7% Goal% despite having the lowest percentage of offensive zone starts on the team, 52.3 CF%, but sure, he'd kill the third line.

He is a terrific defensive center with underrated offensive skills. Edit: Does that answer your question?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
53.6 SA% and 66.7% Goal% despite having the lowest percentage of offensive zone starts on the team, 52.3 CF%, but sure, he'd kill the third line.

He is a terrific defensive center with underrated offensive skills. Edit: Does that answer your question?

He plays against other teams 4th lines. I like Latta, I do, but he plays against 4th liners. If he played against third or second liners more often...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He plays against other teams 4th lines. I like Latta, I do, but he plays against 4th liners. If he played against third or second liners more often...

As opposed to Chimera who plays against 4th liners and has terrible metrics? The team is better when Latta is on the ice. The numbers and the eye test prove it. He's vastly out playing 4th liners, so give him a chance playing against 3rd liners. We know Chimera sucks and we know Latta has played well, so have the ice time reflect accordingly.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
As opposed to Chimera who plays against 4th liners and has terrible metrics? The team is better when Latta is on the ice. The numbers and the eye test prove it. He's vastly out playing 4th liners, so give him a chance playing against 3rd liners. We know Chimera sucks and we know Latta has played well, so have the ice time reflect accordingly.

Latta produces almost nothing offensivly, and im talking about the eye test not just stats. he has decent skill but it has not translated into games at all. he is however a decent defensive player and i too prefer him over chimera, but a third line role is an unjust promotion for latta based purely on hope.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Whenever we can't stand it anymore and call for a player to be scratched/benched/traded, he lights it up. I call it Brouwer's Law.

So Chimmer gets a hatty tonight.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Latta produces almost nothing offensivly, and im talking about the eye test not just stats. he has decent skill but it has not translated into games at all. he is however a decent defensive player and i too prefer him over chimera, but a third line role is an unjust promotion for latta based purely on hope.

It's not based purely on hope. It's based on the premise that he's performed at a very high level on the 4th line and we should see what he's got. It's based on the premise that Chimera has been awful, and that Fehr should be playing with Nick and Ovie. All of these statements are supported by numbers.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Whenever we can't stand it anymore and call for a player to be scratched/benched/traded, he lights it up. I call it Brouwer's Law.

So Chimmer gets a hatty tonight.

Chimmer has teetered between awful and complete liability this season. Brouwer at his worst was some where between below average and invisible. I see what you're saying, but in my opinion it's apples and oranges.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
At this point I'd prefer Beagle getting moved up to the first line to breaking up the current '3rd' line...

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm ok with Burakovsky continuing to get time there. Kuznetsov looks like he's turning the corner at C and neither of Beagle or Wilson really bring more than Burakovsky. Different style sure. I'm not breaking up the only other good line.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Chimera's stone hands have actually gotten worse over time. I don't know what's going on with him but it seems like he can't complete a pass or receive one without the puck bouncing off his stick. He still takes the stupid penalties too - some of which have gone uncalled, so his results on the ice could actualy be even worse than they are. Put him in the press box.

I actually like Burakovsky on the top line. When he has the puck he's looking to make plays. He's come close a lot. A little more time and he might gel IMO. Same goes for Kuznetsov on the 2nd line.

I also like Latta as a 4th liner. He's good in that role, he can beat up on scrubs, plus he can punch people in the face. Fehr is nice on the 3rd line so don't mess with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad