Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Caps | 1/12/15 | 7pm EST | Varly's Revenge III

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
To be honest I don't think its far fetched that we aren't a top 6-7 team, and playing like a top 5 right now. The way trotz has this engine running we could literally beat anyone in a series. That's all it's about now, get to the dance and destroy your enemy. Our previous coaches had 1 system and made no adjustments, trotz has this team playing different identities and winning close tough games, both things we never had before. Ever.

I'd say we are in the 8-16 range. But a top 4 NHL team is a different animal. Those teams don't always win in the playoffs but they have depth, talent, coaching, valuable assets. The Caps have some of those things but we're not a top NHL team as it stands. We were scratching at the top 4 in 2009. But McPhee didn't make the right trades and UFA signings (among other things).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree for the most part. There's no need to rush into trades. Especially when the team is playing well. However, bold and smart trades are a big part of building a Stanley Cup champion. BMac doesn't need to fleece other teams. He just has to improve each position gradually across time. If he trades Mojo, the player coming back has to bring a little more than what Mojo brings. The new players we bring in have to make the chemistry a little better. Orpik and Niskanen have done exactly that. I give BMac a lot of credit for those signings.

It might be that we need 4 or 5 years of great drafting, trading, development and signing UFAs to build a top team. I'm cool with that. I just want to see steady progress.

Let me see if I understand your last couple of posts....

You're concerned about GMBM not having a vision and not making early trades because the team needs to make some big trades now to make a run, but you also want to see slow steady progress over 4-5 years and not rush into trades because we don't have the pieces to trade.

Is that correct?

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I'd say we are in the 8-16 range. But a top 4 NHL team is a different animal. Those teams don't always win in the playoffs but they have depth, talent, coaching, valuable assets. The Caps have some of those things but we're not a top NHL team as it stands. We were scratching at the top 4 in 2009. But McPhee didn't make the right trades and UFA signings (among other things).

Hmm..Just out of curiosity, when you look at the standings we are in a close 10th overall. what teams above us do you see as top 5 teams? I can easily eliminate 5 or 6 teams that I think we are better than or just as good.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree for the most part. There's no need to rush into trades. Especially when the team is playing well. However, bold and smart trades are a big part of building a Stanley Cup champion. BMac doesn't need to fleece other teams. He just has to improve each position gradually across time. If he trades Mojo, the player coming back has to bring a little more than what Mojo brings. The new players we bring in have to make the chemistry a little better. Orpik and Niskanen have done exactly that. I give BMac a lot of credit for those signings.

It might be that we need 4 or 5 years of great drafting, trading, development and signing UFAs to build a top team. I'm cool with that. I just want to see steady progress.

I checked on Yzerman. he traded a spare part and a 4th rounder for a rental(Gagne) and traded a minor leaguer for Roloson in his first year.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Let me see if I understand your last couple of posts....

You're concerned about GMBM not having a vision and not making early trades because the team needs to make some big trades now to make a run, but you also want to see slow steady progress over 4-5 years and not rush into trades because we don't have the pieces to trade.

Is that correct?

No sir. I am concerned that BMac is not a proactive trader. But I hasten to add that it's too early to be sure. If he sits on his hands then it will be a continuation of the McPhee era. If BMac turns out to have the right stuff it might take 4-5 years of excellent management to build a top team.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Hmm..Just out of curiosity, when you look at the standings we are in a close 10th overall. what teams above us do you see as top 5 teams? I can easily eliminate 5 or 6 teams that I think we are better than or just as good.

I think Boston, Pittsburgh, LA, Anaheim, Chicago, NYR, St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa, Montreal and Dallas are all in better shape long-term than the Capitals.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
i would rather avoid Nashville, Chicago, LA and the Rags

dodge the Rags for a round or 2

all the rest, bring it

and we swept the Hawks this year too :nod:

40 games left, a lot can change ... clearly

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Boston, Pittsburgh, LA, Anaheim, Chicago, NYR, St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa, Montreal and Dallas are all in better shape long-term than the Capitals.

Do you have any rationale behind that or just making stuff up like you did with Yzerman making bold moves his first year? Boston, Chicago, and LA will also have to say good bye to significant players due to their cap situation. Dallas? Very good centers, no goalie, and a bottom 5 defensive corps. Detroit is going to have to replace the best coach in the world. Pittsburgh's best defensive prospect can't stay on the ice. Every team has question marks. What do the Rangers do if Hank slows down in a year or two?

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No sir. I am concerned that BMac is not a proactive trader. But I hasten to add that it's too early to be sure. If he sits on his hands then it will be a continuation of the McPhee era. If BMac turns out to have the right stuff it might take 4-5 years of excellent management to build a top team.

What about GMBM makes you think he's not proactive?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What trades has he made? He's been here 7 months.

you are saying that trading matt walker and a 4th for a rental 16 goal scoring Gagne makes him(Yzerman) bold and proactive?
matt walker played 8 more nhl games after his 66 nhl games with tampa bay.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I don't think you understand your own position. You want him to make trades, but you want him to be patient, but if he's too patient he's McPhee, but it could still take 4-5 years to build a winner. Pick one.

Also, making trades isn't the only way to be proactive. That's just one data point. And making trades for the sake of being proactive is incredibly stupid.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I certainly understand the thought that he may not be proactive. I would wait until the trade deadline before having serious doubts though. Early season trades with no cap space almost never happen this day and age.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I certainly understand the thought that he may not be proactive. I would wait until the trade deadline before having serious doubts though. Early season trades with no cap space almost never happen this day and age.

Exactly, we'll see what he does this year. Trades are harder to make than ever.

Apr 6, 2004

It's one thing to support the concept that your GM should be willing and able to deal should the right situation present itself. It's another story to expect a deal when most of the league is static and waits for their teams identities to come to fruition.

Reaching IMO.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
It's one thing to support the concept that your GM should be willing and able to deal should the right situation present itself. It's another story to expect a deal when most of the league is static and waits for their teams identities to come to fruition.

Reaching IMO.

So what's your assessment of BMac?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So what's your assessment of BMac?

He did what he said he was going to do. Address the weakest point of our team (defense) and make us difficult to play against. He did more in a day to fix the blue line than McNoCup did in two decades. It's also pretty well inferred he targeted Kesler for a trade as well.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
He did what he said he was going to do. Address the weakest point of our team (defense) and make us difficult to play against. He did more in a day to fix the blue line than McNoCup did in two decades. It's also pretty well inferred he targeted Kesler for a trade as well.

So, for the record, do you think BMac has the right stuff to bring a Cup to DC in the next 3-5 years? Or is it too soon for you to judge?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

MacLellan's Trades
[TABLE="head;width=3000]Team|Acquired|Traded|Salary Out|Salary In|Date|Notes
NYI​
|CHI 4th 2014|G Jaroslav Halak|
N/A​
|
N/A​
|
2014.05.01​
|UFA negotiating rights
BUF​
|BUF 2nd 2014 (Vitek Vanecek)|WSH 2nd 2014 (Eric Cornel) & WSH 3rd 2014 (Brycen Martin)|
N/A​
|
N/A​
|2014.06.28|
NYR​
|NYR 3rd 2014 (Nathan Walker)|WSH 4th 2014 (Ryan Mantha) & CHI 4th 2014 (Igor Shesterkin)|
N/A​
|
N/A​
|2014.06.28|
WPG​
|WPG 6th 2014 (Steven Spinner) & RFA G Edward Pasquale|WSH 6th 2014 (Pavel Kraskovsky), NSH 7th 2014 (Matt Ustaski) & WSH 7th 2015|
N/A​
|
N/A​
|2014.06.28[/TABLE]

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Exactly, we'll see what he does this year. Trades are harder to make than ever.

He has been proactive. The Orpik get was risky and aggressive. Getting Niskanen backed up the commitment with a solid but less risky get. I am far more comfortable with getting players thru trades than thru the UFA market where you always have to overpay. So, from my perspective he has been pretty proactive.

Trading in the current climate is just really difficult. Almost impossible in season and even more difficult when dealing with big contracts of impact players. You just don't see that much movement. Not doing something in the short term proves almost nothing.

I would also say that BMac isn't thinking that its going to be 4 or 5 years before this group needs to be cup competitive. Orpik is probably good for 3. That's the envelope.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So, for the record, do you think BMac has the right stuff to bring a Cup to DC in the next 3-5 years? Or is it too soon for you to judge?

Its too early for that. Its also way too early to suggest the reverse, which is the basis of the ongoing argument here. there is no evidence that BMac lacks the will to make bold moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad